**** Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) ****

Options

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does anyone who has a maxed starlord have an opinion on him at this point? With godess nerfed I am wondering if starlord might be a more viable pick these days. His red is actually super efficient assuming it goes off.
    Too big of an assumption. You can't risk hopping with a character who does all his damage via countdowns. You could easily end up getting trapped in a match that takes way, way too long.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Does anyone who has a maxed starlord have an opinion on him at this point? With godess nerfed I am wondering if starlord might be a more viable pick these days. His red is actually super efficient assuming it goes off.
    Too big of an assumption. You can't risk hopping with a character who does all his damage via countdowns. You could easily end up getting trapped in a match that takes way, way too long.

And if Starlord ever became a big part of the meta, suddenly Bag-Man would be usable.

Not good. Just usable.
  • simonsez wrote:

There is always XF to take the edge off. (Pun intended).
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    I just had a level 4 Starlord Red teamup used on me and it placed 2 tiles...... Stealth buff incoming? icon_razz.gif
  • My Star Lord is 245
    Yellow followed by Red really tips the scales, getting that extra you need to get an advance and delaying the enemy team
    with the Thoress nerf i found Star Lord red far more cheap and usable than hers, if you make a team up you can make use of her stun to keep countdowns around
    While its true countdowns arent reliable i had a good sucess with them so far
  • It's not necessarily that they aren't reliable so much as they are slow. It's an extra 3 turns to do anything with Star Lord. If his Red did the damage when the CD was placed, like Captain America, and had the CD just for debuffing the enemy, he would me a much better character.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been playing with him some in this new PvP and he's decent but I came up with another idea to make him viable. Have 4+ covers in yellow and red passively modify costs by one and have his CD tile stay at 1 (1 all the time, 2 if his CD tile is up)

Everyone With Me 7 yellowtile.png
      Star-Lord quickly pulls together a plan - or at least most of one. Places a 3-turn Countdown tile. While at least one such tile is on the board, all friendly Red and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1.
      (Dev note: This is placed on a random Yellow tile)
        Level 2: Friendly Blue ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 3: Places a 4 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Green ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 4: Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Yellow ability costs are reduced by
      1. PASSIVE: Friendly (maybe Ally only) Red, Blue, Green, Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1.
      Level 5: Places a 5 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Purple, and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1. PASSIVE: Friendly (maybe Ally only) Red, Blue, Green, Purple, and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1.
        Oldest Trick in the Book 8 redtile.png
        Star-Lord points past his enemy and shouts "Hey! Is that Beta Ray Bill?" before swinging in with a sucker punch. He creates a 2-turn Countdown tile which deals 612 damage. While at least one such tile is on the board, all enemy Red and Green ability costs are increased by 1.
        (Dev note: This is placed on a random Red tile)
          Level 2: Deals 802 to the target enemy. Enemy Yellow ability costs are increased by 1. Level 3: Places a 3 turn Countdown tile. Enemy Black ability costs are increased by 1. Level 4: Deals 1897 to the target enemy. Enemy Red, Yellow, Green, and Black ability costs are increased by
        1. PASSIVE: Enemy Red, Yellow, Green, and Black ability costs are increased by 1.
        Level 5: Deals 3525 to the target enemy. Enemy Red, Yellow, Green, Black and Blue ability costs are increased by 1. PASSIVE: Enemy Red, Yellow, Green, Black and Blue ability costs are increased by 1.
        Max Level: 6998 damage.

While having immediate damage on red would be nice it doesn't really fit thematically. If he passively gave out part of the reduction I think I could live with the random placement. For balance reasons the wording on the yellow passive may need to be changed to "allied abilities" so that his own ability costs aren't reduced off the bat. His purple is pretty good but I'm not sure if I'd want a 5/4/4 or a 3/5/5 build with these changes.
      • Phaserhawk
        Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
        Options
        I disagree with red doing damage right away not fitting thematically. If I got in a fight I pop the guy a quick one, then go, oh hey look at that, after a bit to get another one in, if split the damage or at least allow some on the front end, I think his red is fixed.

For yellow, all this needs is a match away reward/penalty. If you match it away, you get 3 yellow AP returned, if enemy matches it away, you get 1 AP of every color but black at max level
      • He's very fun to use, but there's one thing i dont like
        Do you see his gun? the thing he holds in his hand? well, the elemental gun is one of main features of the character
        WHY THE HELL HE NEVER USES THEM?!? icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_e_confused.gif
      • dkffiv
        Options
        Phaserhawk wrote:
        I disagree with red doing damage right away not fitting thematically. If I got in a fight I pop the guy a quick one, then go, oh hey look at that, after a bit to get another one in, if split the damage or at least allow some on the front end, I think his red is fixed.

For yellow, all this needs is a match away reward/penalty. If you match it away, you get 3 yellow AP returned, if enemy matches it away, you get 1 AP of every color but black at max level

Well its "hey look over there" (distracted / s**t costs more) then sucker punch / damage. If the enemy team matches the tile it means the distraction didn't work. I like it thematically but I would like a little more out of the skill ("passively" distracting all the time or a weaker jab or something if the enemy matches it early (maybe 1/3rd the damage of if it went off)).
        Agent Alex wrote:
        He's very fun to use, but there's one thing i dont like
        Do you see his gun? the thing he holds in his hand? well, the elemental gun is one of main features of the character
        WHY THE HELL HE NEVER USES THEM?!? icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_e_confused.gif
        Maybe have him shoot the enemy in the face in panic if they match his red before it goes off.
      • Phaserhawk
        Options
        I still haven't figure out if

5/5/3
        5/3/5
        or
        5/4/4

is the "best" build, I'm strongly leaning 5/3/5 but I'm still not sure.
      • dkffiv
        Options
        Phaserhawk wrote:
        I still haven't figure out if

5/5/3
        5/3/5
        or
        5/4/4

is the "best" build, I'm strongly leaning 5/3/5 but I'm still not sure.

For this PvP I'm running (pre-buff) 166 5/5/3 Gamora (I want to switch her to 5/3/5 when I get covers), 149 5/3/5 Groot and 118 5/2/4 Star-Lord. Except for like Iron Fist's somewhat weird purple, red seems to be the most spammable damage color (Psylocke, DP, Torch and to a lesser extent LThor, Punisher, She-Hulk). The other cheap color is black and Star-Lord's yellow doesn't even affect that anyway. I'd probably want 5/5/3 because I'm only bringing him along if I have someone else to use for red (and he'd only be there for purple if I brought along a really good yellow user).
      • john1620b
        john1620b Posts: 367
        Options
        I agree on 5/5/3, for these reasons:

1. Purple is placeable and a shorter countdown than red. It has a lot of utility and damage, so I think it definitely should be maxed.

2. Yellow has the ability to combo immediately, which red doesn't have. If you wait to use Yellow, you can combo it immediately with other powerful abilities. By maxing out Yellow, you can get Purple down to 8 AP.

3. Red is the least predictable, and because of that, I think it's the least useful. The damage on it is great, but increasing opponent ability costs doesn't have much value, since you can't control which AP they are going to get in the next turn. A 3-turn countdown is also easier to remove, which means it's potentially just wasted AP.
      • dkffiv
        Options
        I Got A Plan into Sleight of Hand is incredibly satisfying, just remember to place I Got A Plan higher on the board so it goes off first.
      • Phaserhawk
        Options
        After rethinking it, 5/3/5 IMO is the better way to go unless you never plan to have Star-Lord use his red or be able to stand alone.

Here's why

Star-Lord's yellow only helps skills that are costed to be dropped below a match threshold, so something that's 8 AP, like his own red, could be brought into 2 match category, however, you just spent three matches to get yellow plus 2 in red to use his skill, when you could have just gone for 3 red matches, and with 5/3/5 you have a red that's almost 5 times more powerful.
      • simonsez
        Options
        Phaserhawk wrote:
        however, you just spent three matches to get yellow plus 2 in red to use his skill, when you could have just gone for 3 red matches
        Am I the only one who ends up having to make matches I'd rather not, simply because there's nothing better on the board? If both options are available, no one is going to match yellow instead of red, in order to accelerate red.
      • dkffiv
        Options
        Phaserhawk wrote:
        After rethinking it, 5/3/5 IMO is the better way to go unless you never plan to have Star-Lord use his red or be able to stand alone.

Here's why

Star-Lord's yellow only helps skills that are costed to be dropped below a match threshold, so something that's 8 AP, like his own red, could be brought into 2 match category, however, you just spent three matches to get yellow plus 2 in red to use his skill, when you could have just gone for 3 red matches, and with 5/3/5 you have a red that's almost 5 times more powerful.

I think I'd only consider 5/5/3 or 5/4/4. The extra colors added by going into 5 aren't the most spammable colors (starlord is probably your only purple and blue usually isn't dangerous). Much like professor x I'd only bring starlord with spammy characters. Getting gamoras red down to 4 AP let me unload when I hit 12 AP, you could theoretically almost bring back old school Spiderman like that. Reds random placement on such a long CD sucks.
      • I think im going with 4-4-5. I've played a lot of matches with him and xforce. If you think it through you can "guesstimate" where his red is going to land. Fuethermore, his yellow at 4 reduces green and red AP by 2, so xfocrce slash and starlord ability costs 6AP, thus its super spamable. His purple at 4 still does deal awesome damage at 4k.
      • Phaserhawk
        Options
        dkffiv wrote:
        Phaserhawk wrote:

Here's why

I think I'd only consider 5/5/3 or 5/4/4. The extra colors added by going into 5 aren't the most spammable colors (starlord is probably your only purple and blue usually isn't dangerous). Much like professor x I'd only bring starlord with spammy characters. Getting gamoras red down to 4 AP let me unload when I hit 12 AP, you could theoretically almost bring back old school Spiderman like that. Reds random placement on such a long CD sucks.

But you aren't brining Gamora's red into anything less than still 2 match territory, sure it's divisible better by 12 but that tile won't be around long IMO. However, I think I would rather have the stronger defense of 5 red, and delay
      • simonsez
        Options
        ryanrod16 wrote:
        I think im going with 4-4-5. I've played a lot of matches with him and xforce. If you think it through you can "guesstimate" where his red is going to land. Fuethermore, his yellow at 4 reduces green and red AP by 2, so xfocrce slash and starlord ability costs 6AP, thus its super spamable. His purple at 4 still does deal awesome damage at 4k.
        This seems like a less than optimal build. The 5th cover in red is getting you an extra 3.5k in damage, and dropping to 4 in purple is costing you 5k; plus the purple countdown will survive way more often than the red countdown.