**** Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) ****

Options

Comments

• I mean if it takes 6-8 turns for IGAP to deal 8k compared to the instant Starlord damage, I'd say that the two skills are pretty comparable.

Going down the list.

B) Starlord's purple is 4973 + (1451*3) = 9.3k damage for 10 AP + removing a goon CD tile (932 damage / AP). Whales is 12k damage for 14 AP which is 857 damage per AP, but it also costs 14 AP. Furthermore, Starlord's damage distribution is a lot better since PvE has to do a lot with downing the first guy. Coupled with the fact that Starlord yellow fares much better than Deadpools... nothing else, Starlord feels like a no brainer here.

C) Escape plan is so much worse than Starlord's purple that this isn't even an option: the strike tile is significantly more unreliable than Starlord's tile, and 3k damage is a pittance. You could argue Fury yellow vs Starlord's yellow, but Starlord's purple is so much better that it's a no brainer.

D) This one is arguable, but given that Hood tanks blue (which is like THE color to get with 4or), yellow, (purple?), and has 5k HP, I'm not sure this is really all that better than actually having a purple outlet for surgical.

Honestly you should have included loki into the mix: I would 100% take XF / GT / Loki over XF / GT / Starlord since Loki fills in the holes for XF / GT much nicer than starlord does.

That being said, I think that Starlord is much better than DP / Fury in that team, and probably better than Hood.

Given how this is the case, I'd imagine that Starlord can't be that bad of a character since he's clearly better than some of our alternative options, and that he has some relevant use in PvE. Purple being basically call the storm for 10 Purple AP is kind of a thing.

I thought about Loki after the post, didn't go back and edit it. Deadpool's Red is also pretty awesome, 3500 damage for 6 AP almost 600 / AP. Less awesome than TGT I guess tho.
  • The Gunslinger
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been pointed out, but did anyone else notice there's (sometimes) a variation in the description of his redflag.png ? His quote usually says "Hey, is that Beta Ray Bill?." But once, as I was going through an essential, I went to use it and it said "Hey, is that the Pet Avengers?" instead. I've only seen it once, and I need someone else to confirm this just so I know I'm not going crazy.
  • You aren't going crazy. He says different lines each fight.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Messing around with Star-Lord in the Season XI node, I can say that purple is far and away his best skill and it's not even maxed there. I am torn between yellow and red. As I see it there are really only 3 builds

5/3/5
    5/5/3
    5/4/4

He's actually one of the few characters you can get away with 4 in some categories, you lose too much damage if you don't max purple.

5/3/5--Max damage build, this focuses on getting purple and red out as quickly as possible, sure red may not go off but it can delay the enemy. This is the best PvE build against 3 or 2 goons. Attack strategy is to delay the other team, this can work very well with teams that have high AP costs

5/5/3--Speed build, this focuses on getting yellow and purple, you can save AP on your team and while you lose potential damage on red Star Lord can take a stronger support role. (hint--if yellow is about to expire and you have 5 yellow, recast the skill again as it will save you AP and restart the tile). If you choose this you care more about killing quickly then tyring to slow up the enemy focussing on your own team and less on theirs.

5/4/4--Hybrid build you give up a CD timer on yellow and you can't speed up purple or black but you can get the other colors to accelarate, red you lose some damage and the ability to delay blue. Interestingly this build still would help your own 4hor while delaying an X-Force

Why not 3/5/5? You lose a lot of damage, purple is a very strong/placeable skill that is both defensive and offensive and is probably your best source of guarenteed skill damage, I would not recomend this at all.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From the limited usage I got out of it during the last PvE, I'm really disliking yellow. I'm trying to figure out what would have been a better implementation, so far I've come up with it being a passive (something like a passive that only activates after he's cast one of his other abilities first) or a permanent tile like Invis Woman's yellow.

In what situations would you use his yellow? Pure AP wise you need to cast 4 abilities within 5 turns to make it a slight net AP gain (though some arguments can be made that 2 AP in another color could be more valuable than yellow) - that's assuming the tile survives 5 rounds. To guarantee it you would need to store up enough AP to unload 5 abilities all at once (his yellow + 4 more) which is a crapload of AP. I don't mind saving 5 of each with Fury because his yellow is so devastating but saving up 4 abilities to break even on AP seems like a waste.

Assuming you have enough AP to cast something, would you seriously considering delaying 8+ turns to cast it? You have enough AP for you first ability, then you would need enough for 4 more abilities at a minimum of say 2 matches each. Even then you're going out of your way to spend at least 2 turns matching yellow which is only being used to enable EWM.

The only situation where I could see it shining would be to pair with the Hood where you're passively stealing AP every turn so its much easier to spam. Maybe with OBW but she honestly doesn't see much play because of how bad scaling has become. Even with those you would want a high damage blue/green outlet for Hood or a blue/green/yellow for OBW (and OBW's purple would conflict with Star-Lord).

His yellow either needs to be significantly cheaper/free, do something immediately (place a protect tile or something), or do something when it resolves (maybe a 10/15/25% team heal depending on CD tile duration).
  • The way I think his yellow is likely to work best is with cheap abilities - for a 6 AP ability, you'll get 3 casts for the cost of 2, and even more for something cheaper. In however many months, when I have a usable Starlord, I see using him with characters like Ragnarok or Psylocke or Gamora - people with cheap, ultra- spammable abilities - combined with someone like Daken.

He may have some speed-kill potential as well - boosting heavily, making a yellow match, unleashing a bunch of 8 or cheaper ap abilities turn 2.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    In what situations would you use his yellow? Pure AP wise you need to cast 4 abilities within 5 turns to make it a slight net AP gain
    It's not about AP gain. It's about triggering something much quicker than I otherwise would be able to. If I'm using GT and I'm 1 or 2 AP short in both red and blue, I'm not concerned that it's costing 7 extra yellow AP to gain the couple of red/blue I need. The cost/benefit analysis isn't solely about AP spent; it's about how quickly you can end the battle by using it. Does this mean I'd use him over Hood or Loki? Tough call. But there's more to his yellow than just bean counting.
  • Having beat cologs team of xf gd max sl I gotta say, the difference between the loaner and max sl seems to be health
  • dkffiv
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    In what situations would you use his yellow? Pure AP wise you need to cast 4 abilities within 5 turns to make it a slight net AP gain
    It's not about AP gain. It's about triggering something much quicker than I otherwise would be able to. If I'm using GT and I'm 1 or 2 AP short in both red and blue, I'm not concerned that it's costing 7 extra yellow AP to gain the couple of red/blue I need. The cost/benefit analysis isn't solely about AP spent; it's about how quickly you can end the battle by using it. Does this mean I'd use him over Hood or Loki? Tough call. But there's more to his yellow than just bean counting.

The problem is to trigger it you would've needed to gather 7 yellow somehow. If it was a passive I would wholeheartedly agree but as is with 4hor xforce Loki I avoid matching yellow at almost all costs. If I managed to get that much yellow from 4/5 matches I guess it'd be a nice bonus but I see it being hard to gather that much without avoiding your kill colors.
  • I've just played several times against a maxed Starlord, and just lost once, due to bad cascades. Not because of Starlord.

During the Starlord PvP, it happened very rarely that the countdown tiles could do anything (if you play XF/GT, it's very unlikely).

So, I do not regret my choice of not maxing him immediately.

And I feel much better now icon_e_biggrin.gif

As a third character, I'd rather use Fury than Starlord, if I had to use a 3rd 4*.
  • Finished the Starlord PVP last night.

Man, talk about a useless character on defense.

I take back everything I ever said in support of him in terms of superior defense to Nick Fury haha.

He is dead weight on defense. It's kind of crazy how bad countdown tiles are...
  • onimus wrote:
    Finished the Starlord PVP last night.

I take back everything I ever said in support of him in terms of superior defense to Nick Fury haha.

Well, they could be useful when it was Sentry with 2 turns countdown tiles and there was a synergy with Hood...

You could only have the "time" to wait for the countdown tiles to do something when you play against goons.

But against goons, Blade/Daken/Falcon are very efficient. So...
  • Feel pretty stupid for grinding so hardcore for #1 pve for this char. It was good practice though I guess!
  • Phaserhawk
    edited February 2015
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I've just played several times against a maxed Starlord, and just lost once, due to bad cascades. Not because of Starlord.

During the Starlord PvP, it happened very rarely that the countdown tiles could do anything (if you play XF/GT, it's very unlikely).

As a third character, I'd rather use Fury than Starlord, if I had to use a 3rd 4*.

I 100% agree as a defensive character he sucks, he's all about offense. That being said, I lost 2 matches because of his yellow. 1st game AI was sitting on 9 black, 6 green, 6 blue. He casts SL's yellow, then hit's me hard with X-Force, of course it doesn't blow up the tile and they got enough black, blue and red to hit me with Thor and a surgical strike which lead to another X-Force because the ensuing cascade gave them another turn. Other game, it was reverse. 7 blue 8 red. They get off SL's yellow, to frigging Thor my guy to death, then proceed to match a casdcade that got them tons of red/blue again they took out my Wolvie now and I was left with SL I quit. So his yellow can be down right scary when you are fending off the AI not paying attention to yellow, next thing you know they have their skills ready.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I've just played several times against a maxed Starlord, and just lost once, due to bad cascades. Not because of Starlord.

I 100% agree as a defensive character he sucks, he's all about offense. That being said, I lost 2 matches because of his yellow. 1st game AI was sitting on 9 black, 6 green, 6 blue. He casts SL's yellow, then hit's me hard with X-Force, of course it doesn't blow up the tile and they got enough blue and red to hit me with Thor. Other game, it was reverse. 7 blue 8 red. They get off SL's yellow, to frigging Thor my guy to death, then proceed to match a casdcade that got them tons of red/blue again they took out my Wolvie now and I was left with SL I quit. So his yellow can be down right scary when you are fending off the AI not paying attention to yellow, next thing you know they have their skills ready.
    Really? I got maybe two yellows thrown at me the entire event and they made no difference. Between the board shake and the necessity to have at least 15-20 more ap in the bank to make his abilities noticeable, he was just a lump of meat I had to work through after I'd downed the other two guys.

He's a 4* MnMags. Good enabler on offense (I guess. I'm not sold since I haven't heard a single example that made me go "Yeah thats pretty damn good"), and nothing in defense.

It was kinda fun working through the maxed ones though. Sort of like those Street Fighter 2 fights where you wrecked a car.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

I 100% agree as a defensive character he sucks, he's all about offense. That being said, I lost 2 matches because of his yellow. 1st game AI was sitting on 9 black, 6 green, 6 blue. He casts SL's yellow, then hit's me hard with X-Force, of course it doesn't blow up the tile and they got enough blue and red to hit me with Thor. Other game, it was reverse. 7 blue 8 red. They get off SL's yellow, to frigging Thor my guy to death, then proceed to match a casdcade that got them tons of red/blue again they took out my Wolvie now and I was left with SL I quit. So his yellow can be down right scary when you are fending off the AI not paying attention to yellow, next thing you know they have their skills ready.
    Really? I got maybe two yellows thrown at me the entire event and they made no difference. Between the board shake and the necessity to have at least 15-20 more ap in the bank to make his abilities noticeable, he was just a lump of meat I had to work through after I'd downed the other two guys.

He's a 4* MnMags. Good enabler on offense (I guess. I'm not sold since I haven't heard a single example that made me go "Yeah thats pretty damn good"), and nothing in defense.

It was kinda fun working through the maxed ones though. Sort of like those Street Fighter 2 fights where you wrecked a car.

Yeah, I hit a really bad patch of luck for a few matches, like having X-force about downed, then they cascade into 7 Black which enough to get Surgical which of course steals my green. I go from 3 v 2 to 1 v 2 in one turn. I never had a purple go off on me, and never a red either. Just his yellow. 1/2 the time the AI matched it away, but it did hurt me twice. I agree on the MnMags comparision. He doesn't add anything to defense, but lets face it, no character will compare to Thorverie currently. If I had to pick a temp comp for Starlord I would go Captain America/Hood/Starlord. I think you could get some crazy things going on there.
  • dkffiv
    Options
    Assuming we have to bring Starlord along, even in those situations is there a decent argument not to go 5/3/5? In situations where you fall into enough yellow to use it, is the 1 AP difference enough to justify not getting a potential damage boost on red and purple? Yellow just seems so clunky that I think I would rarely use it, and if I were to cast it 3 covers is probably enough

*edit the fact that he's 4* means he's probably never going to get forced on us which makes it even worse. At least if he was 3* he would show up in PvE and pvp
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Assuming we have to bring Starlord along, even in those situations is there a decent argument not to go 5/3/5? In situations where you fall into enough yellow to use it, is the 1 AP difference enough to justify not getting a potential damage boost on red and purple? Yellow just seems so clunky that I think I would rarely use it, and if I were to cast it 3 covers is probably enough

*edit the fact that he's 4* means he's probably never going to get forced on us which makes it even worse. At least if he was 3* he would show up in PvE and pvp

I'm going to build him for PvE. For that 5 purple is a must, then the question is the yellow or red. For me yellow = 1 less turn. 2AP less speeds me up therefore it's where I will go.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Assuming we have to bring Starlord along, even in those situations is there a decent argument not to go 5/3/5?
    My argument would be that half the time his red won't even go off, so the expected damage isn't as great as it seems; and if I'm using him with Xf/GT, I don't have a much better use for yellow.
  • onimus wrote:
    Finished the Starlord PVP last night.

The thing is, Countdown tiles don't HAVE to be bad. Look at Blade's. Look at X-Force's. Look at Squirrel Girl's.

I mean, honestly, he was gonna have a tough time because of Hood but really, unless they implement some of the changes/suggestions I've said, Starlord is more like Star-pauper.

I still say if they had the balls/ovaries to make his abilities PASSIVE(at least partly, 5 covers) or maybe he could START THE MATCH with his countdowns(at least partly, 5 covers) that would make the difference.