**** Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) ****

CrookedKnight
CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in Character Details
Peter Quill, also known as Star-Lord, is a thief, a liar, and a cheat. He's also a pretty good guy. The son of the king of Spartax and a woman from Earth, Star-Lord's saved the universe from certain destruction more times than he can count. He united the Guardians of the Galaxy during the Phalanx Conquest and has been their fearless leader ever since.

IceIX Edit: Added pre-release ability upgrade info.

Cthulhu Edit: Added the revised stats after R110 per requests, kept the old stats, let me know if you want me to remove the old stats.

[anchor=starlord3]Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw)[/anchor] icon_starlord.png
4 Star Rarity (Legendary) (Obviously)
At Max Level: HP: 13995: 74/65/13/85/11/12/4.0x
    Sleight of Hand 10 purpletile.png
    Peter pulls the old switcheroo and swaps 2 of his enemy's possessions with a little surprise. He turns selected tiles into 3-turn Countdown tiles which deal 83 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 157 damage to the target.
      Level 2: Countdown tile deals 296 damage to target, plus 148 damage to the entire team. Level 3: Turns 2 selected tiles 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 148 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 296 damage to the target. Level 4: Creates 2 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 277 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 517 damage to the target. Level 5: Creates 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 277 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 517 damage to the target.
    Max Level:
      Level 3: Creates 3-turn purple countdown tiles that deal 288 damage to enemy team plus and additional 578 damage to target. Level 4: Creates 2 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 540 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 1011 damage to the target. Level 5: Creates 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 540 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 1011 damage to the target.

Everyone With Me 0 yellowtile.png
      (PASSIVE) Star-Lord reacts to the situation and quickly pulls together a plan. When the enemy uses a power, place a 3-turn Countdown tile. While at least one such tile is on the board, all friendly Red and Yellow power costs are reduced by 1. When the tile expires gain 1 random AP.
        Level 2: Place a 3-turn countdown tile (up to 4 tiles), while countdown tile is on the board all friendly Red, Yellow, Blue power costs are reduced by 2. When Countdown expires gain 1 random AP. Level 3: Place a 3-turn countdown tile (up to 4 tiles), while countdown tile is on the board all friendly Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green power costs are reduced by 2. When Countdown expires gain 2 random AP. Level 4: Place a 3-turn countdown tile (up to 4 tiles), while countdown tile is on the board all friendly Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green power costs are reduced by 2. When Countdown expires gain 3 random AP. Level 5: Place a 3-turn countdown tile (up to 4 tiles), while countdown tile is on the board all friendly Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Purple power costs are reduced by 2. When Countdown expires gain 3 random AP.
      Max Level:
        Level 3: Create a 3 turn countdown tile. Friendly Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green power costs are reduced by 2. When tile expires gain 2 random AP. Level 4: Create a 3 turn countdown tile. Friendly Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green power costs are reduced by 2. When tile expires gain 3 random AP. Level 5: Create a 3 turn countdown tile. Friendly Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Purple power costs are reduced by 2. When tile expires gain 3 random AP.

Oldest Trick in the Book 8 redtile.png
        Star-Lord points past his enemy and shouts “Hey! Is that Beta Ray Bill?” before swinging in with a sucker-punch. Star-Lord deals 398 damage. He deals an additional 120 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6.
          Level 2: Deals 621 damage to the target enemy and an additional 148 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6. Level 3: Deals 760 damage to the target enemy and an additional 203 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6. Level 4: Deals 999 damage to the target enemy and an additional 323 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6. Level 5: Deals 1405 damage to the target enemy and an additional 591 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6.
        Max Level:
          Level 3: Deals 1482 damage to the target enemy and an additional 398 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6. Level 4: Deals 1948 damage to the target enemy and an additional 633 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6. Level 5: Deals 2793 damage to the target enemy and an additional 1157 damage per friendly countdown tile up to 6.

Previous Stats:
        [anchor=starlord3]Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw)[/anchor] icon_starlord.png
        4 Star Rarity (Legendary) (Obviously)
        At Max Level: HP: 13974 2960 base Tile damage: 73/64/11/82/10/11/4.0x
          Sleight of Hand 10 purpletile.png
          Peter pulls the old switcheroo and swaps one of his enemy's possessions with a little surprise. He turns a selected non-Countdown tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile which deals 785 damage to the enemy.
            Level 2: Countdown tile deals 1350 damage Level 3: Countdown tile deals 1915 damage Level 4: Can select Countdown tiles. 2 turn Countdown tile deals 2049 damage. Level 5: Countdown tile deals 2504 damage, plus 731 damage to the enemy team.
          Max Level: 4973/1451 damage.
            Everyone With Me 7 yellowtile.png
            Star-Lord quickly pulls together a plan - or at least most of one. Places a 3-turn Countdown tile. While at least one such tile is on the board, all friendly Red and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 1.
            (Dev note: This is placed on a random Yellow tile)
              Level 2: Friendly Blue ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 3: Places a 4 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Green ability costs are reduced by 1. Level 4: Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Yellow ability costs are reduced by 2. Level 5: Places a 5 turn Countdown tile. Friendly Red, Blue, Green, Purple, and Yellow ability costs are reduced by 2.

Oldest Trick in the Book 8 redtile.png
              Star-Lord points past his enemy and shouts "Hey! Is that Beta Ray Bill?" before swinging in with a sucker punch. He creates a 2-turn Countdown tile which deals 612 damage. While at least one such tile is on the board, all enemy Red and Green ability costs are increased by 1.
              (Dev note: This is placed on a random Red tile)
                Level 2: Deals 802 to the target enemy. Enemy Yellow ability costs are increased by 1. Level 3: Places a 3 turn Countdown tile. Enemy Black ability costs are increased by 1. Level 4: Deals 1897 to the target enemy. Enemy Red, Yellow, Green, and Black ability costs are increased by 2. Level 5: Deals 3525 to the target enemy. Enemy Red, Yellow, Green, Black and Blue ability costs are increased by 2.
              Max Level: 6998 damage. [/list][/list][/list]
              Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I look forward to having him be playable sometime in the Fall or Winter.

I really wish they'd slow down the 4* releases.
              • Trisul
                Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
                Usually unveiling an awesome character gets me excited. When I saw the four stars though... ugh. I suppose his mechanics are cool enough for a 4*, but man is this PvE going to be brutal.

Very curious about his high-level cover abilities.
              • CrookedKnight
                His mechanics are neat, and his being a 4* does solve my initial concern after he was leaked that ability cost reduction is just too dang broken for a 3*, but the thought of actually playing for him.....dear God. TaT's already made me want to die once.

(Also, psst, D3, your bio's wrong)
              • RemoDestroyer
                RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
                Every ability creates a CD tile. He is just a useless 4* version of Hawkeye.
              • Trisul
                edited January 2015
                How I feel:
                t8eaBDT.gif
              • A lot of how good he is is going to depend on how he scales. 7 ap to lower abilities by 1 ap is going to need to scale pretty well to not need you to save a ton of ap up to get it to payoff. Getting 7 abilities off in 3 turns isn't super easy.
              • RemoDestroyer
                edited January 2015
                Or he could be devastating with Hood. Intimidation will reduce his countdown tiles. Increasing opponents ability costs with ap theft will be a pain. Add Loki for extra aggravation. All you're left with is match damage to worry about.
              • Unknown
                edited January 2015
                Personally, I'm not very impressed.

Assuming that his yellow and red add one new color with each level, you'll need both of them at level 5 for them to be consistently useful. They're also (presumably) randomly placed, which leads to all sorts of problems.

His purple will probably hit pretty damn hard when it's maxed out, which makes it one of the few damaging purple powers, but 10 AP AND a countdown is a bit too slow for my liking, and if you take it up to rank 5, you're giving up points in either his yellow or his red, which will make them hit fewer colors.

He's going to be a character that plays terribly on defense, due to the AI not being to place his purple intelligently, and not properly taking advantage of his yellow and red. And on offense, he doesn't bring all that much to the table compared to the other powerhouses that are out there.

He has a lot of the problems of some of the other recently released characters-- mechanics that are unique and interesting, but not useful enough to be worth using over the competition.
              • orbitalint
                orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
                Nope nope nope. Figure out a better model to release and distribute 4 stars in a reasonable amount of time before releasing new ones. Make the events more frequent or something because all the good will from today's PvP reward announcement is gone because of StarLord.

On topic, he seems interesting and I would love to try him out before 2016...
              • CrookedKnight
                But....you don't want to reduce his countdown tiles. You want them to stay out as long as possible. You want the opponent to use Anti-Gravity Device teamups.
              • Unknown
                edited January 2015
                Or he could be devastating with Hood. Intimidation will reduce his countdown tiles. Increasing opponents ability costs with ap theft will be a pain. Add Loki for extra aggravation.
                The only countdown tile you'd want to use Intimidation on is his purple. The other two are durations, meaning that Intimidation will just make them last less time.

And even if that weren't a problem, there are much better running mates for Hood. Like, oh, I don't know, anyone that can actually kill enemies without needing to spend 10 purple AP and wait for a countdown.

Offensively, he's thoroughly outperformed by a lengthy list of characters-- everyone from X-Force to Punisher. On defense, Hood's passive alone outperforms his red, and Hood also has a killshot yellow and can eke a bit of damage out of any black AP you don't have a use for.
              • RemoDestroyer
                But....you don't want to reduce his countdown tiles. You want them to stay out as long as possible. You want the opponent to use Anti-Gravity Device teamups.

Maybe I don't understand the character. Looks like he only deals damage when the countdowns expire.
              • CrookedKnight
                Yes, but his main use is that while his red and yellow countdowns are out, enemy powers cost more and friendly powers cost less. So you want those countdowns to be on the field constantly.
              • orbitalint
                orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
                Maybe I don't understand the character. Looks like he only deals damage when the countdowns expire.
                But while out, they make your abilities lower AP or increase the AP for the enemy. So you want have them out as long as possible. Damage is secondary.
              • He also looks like he probably needs to be */5/5 to be usable.
              • Trisul
                Seems like his playstyle is to both support and counter fast, low-AP ability characters, with an extra nuke ability in case things go south.

He'll help against Ragnarok, Juggernaut, Ares, and Daken, but his impact doesn't seem that large, unless 5 covers increases/decreases ability costs by an additional AP or something like that. Given that the 5th covers for 4*s have been traditionally impactful, that's what I'd expect.
              • Unknown
                edited January 2015
                All of these powers take 5+ turns to implement. And CD timer reduction is unlikely given the CDs have powers while on the board. Especially from a 4* character, I expect an impact on turn 3 (or 2 or 1 if boosted). XF (clearly), TGT, and DD can deliver on this, Elektra, IW, and now Starlord can not. The cost increase/reduction is unlikely to have a meaningful impact since the CDs are so short. Plus the crazy amount of cost 5 and 7 powers means +1 cost does literally no things. Still takes 2 or 3 matches to get the AP. The difference in cost between 6 and 7 is huge, between 7 and 8 is minor.

yellowflag.png and redflag.png should be more like Inferno. X damage per round with a side effect while out there. Or the very least, like XF, do the damage still if matched away.
              • CrookedKnight
                If it does, pair him with Devil Dino for ultimate troll team.
              • Here's the only way he's even remotely playable:

Lvls 3 through 5 of his abilities make them better and are - 1ap.

Countdowns? Seriously? I mean sure we always talk about how goons would be good characters, but this isn't what we meant.
              • OzarkBoatswain
                OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
                My Stan Lee had a purple similar to his yellow. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of that idea either.