*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Scoregasms wrote:
    Furry Friends has an additional passive along with the active to destroy a basic tile for each furry friendly countdown at the beginning of the turn. I could've sworn that wasn't there before?

Edit: NVM, think they just reworded it maybe from what it went live with, could've sworn it wasn't written as a passive too.

NOOOOO THE ABILITY NO LONGER SAYS SQUIRRELS GO INTO THEIR PANTS I QUIT THIS GAME SHE SUCKS NOW WORST IN GAME

This makes me wonder if she really WAS a joke, but then they couldn't put out an actual character in time so they slotted her in.

The article they put on that marvel blog regarding the creation of the character implies that it was all thought out.
  • silverrex wrote:
    just curious if anyone agrees that with the way D3 is releasing all of these characters that eventually it will come to the point where there are just too many to collect and hence most will begin using or focusing on characters they have most covers for. Assuming the game doesnt die and you have like 100 characters, it will be quite interesting to see the team setups then.

If this is the case, then I do applaud D3 for (while it takes a while) to nerf top end characters. As for the current 4* mentra, I suspect once there are enough 4* out, they may begin separating tier entry requirement such that you only have 3* only pvp and 4* only pvp etc. Sort of like Marvel contest of champions

At this point I will have a roster slot dedicated to "flavor of the week" for rotating PvE rewards, only rostering and covering the better designed characters.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2015
    silverrex wrote:
    just curious if anyone agrees that with the way D3 is releasing all of these characters that eventually it will come to the point where there are just too many to collect and hence most will begin using or focusing on characters they have most covers for. Assuming the game doesnt die and you have like 100 characters, it will be quite interesting to see the team setups then.

If this is the case, then I do applaud D3 for (while it takes a while) to nerf top end characters. As for the current 4* mentra, I suspect once there are enough 4* out, they may begin separating tier entry requirement such that you only have 3* only pvp and 4* only pvp etc. Sort of like Marvel contest of champions

It's the League of Legends problem. Release characters that may or may not be balanced and keep releasing them.

League of Legends had tinykitty, broken characters(and very, very overpowered broken characters) for MONTHS before they were fixed. I ended up leaving for this and many more reasons.

This would be fine if they balanced them, but they don't.

And let's be real: I don't expect every character to be competitive, but I think at LEAST every character could not be sh*t(EX: on a scale of Grade F to Grade S, every character is B to S)
    I have addressed my feelings for what D3 is doing in my 'how to improve MPQ thread'(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21439) but also I think they're gonna have stem the tide.

Here's another game that's marvel that has 100s of characters: http://avengersalliance.wikia.com/wiki/ ... iance_Wiki - I don't know anything about it so I can't comment on it, but was interesting to find.

As a side note, I understand it - new characters drive players to $$$$ and spend time. But you can't just release character after character without looking back and fixing the old. They're just as likely to release a new 'sentry' or 'beast' at this rate.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    scottee wrote:
    turul wrote:
    The characters released lately always mentions AP collection in the text. If it doesn't, it's not collecting.

I'm not sure why you keep promoting this line of thinking.

Torch- red destroys tiles, description says nothing about AP, it generates AP

She-Hulk - red says "Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP"

Rocket & Groot - green says "Does not generate AP"

Are there any examples where an ability destroys basic tiles, the description says nothing, and it does NOT generate AP?

Wow I have HT maxed and use him regularly in PVE and I did not realize his red generated AP! I feel so stupid...
  • NorthernPolarity
    raisinbman wrote:
    silverrex wrote:

It's the League of Legends problem. Release characters that may or may not be balanced and keep releasing them.

League of Legends had tinykitty, broken characters for MONTHS before they were fixed. I ended up leaving for this and many more reasons.

And let's be real: I don't expect every character to be competitive, but I think at LEAST every character could not be sh*t(EX: on a scale of Grade F to Grade S, every character is B to S)
    I have addressed my feelings for what D3 is doing in my 'how to improve MPQ thread'(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21439) but also I think they're gonna have stem the tide.

Here's another game that's marvel that has 100s of characters: http://avengersalliance.wikia.com/wiki/ ... iance_Wiki - I don't know anything about it so I can't comment on it, but was interesting to find.

As a side note, I understand it - new characters drive players to $$$$ and spend time. But you can't just release character after character without looking back and fixing the old. They're just as likely to release a new 'sentry' or 'beast' at this rate.

Which they are doing as we've seen with Daredevil, Doom, Loki, hell even beast and shehulk being taken out of rotation so they can be worked on. I don't see what the problem is.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    silverrex wrote:

League of Legends had tinykitty, broken characters for MONTHS before they were fixed. I ended up leaving for this and many more reasons.

Which they are doing as we've seen with Daredevil, Doom, Loki, hell even beast and shehulk being taken out of rotation so they can be worked on. I don't see what the problem is.

If you don't see a problem, I can't help you. There are still plenty of bad characters(and abilities in tokens).

Like I said, it's the League of Legends problem.

I never said they weren't making progress.

They are getting better, but I really would like more communication. And not to have to wait a month(season) for changes when I'm sure they can be pushed out faster.

I don't believe developers should give players tinykitty tools to work with, and should make amends as soon as possible.
  • From a rough glance at my characters, all abilities that destroy tiles but do not generate AP says 'do not generate AP'. Abilities that destroy tiles and generate AP may or may not say 'generate AP'. For example Lightning Strike says it generates AP, while Magnetic Flux does not say it generates AP (but it does generate AP). So based on this Squirrel Girl's ability should generate AP because it doesn't say 'do not generate AP'.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Checking out texts, you may be right about abaut generating AP. However I remembered inconsistency about this.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    That preview article also revealed in a screenshot that at 5 covers the green ability causes the countdown tiles to each deplete an opponent's random colour reserve to 0 dealing damage for each AP lost that way instead of a fixed amount. That's brutal!
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    silverrex wrote:

If you don't see a problem, I can't help you. There are still plenty of bad characters(and abilities in tokens).

Like I said, it's the League of Legends problem.

They are getting better, but I really would like more communication. And not to have to wait a month(season) for changes when I'm sure they can be pushed out faster.

I don't believe developers should give players tinykitty tools to work with, and should make amends as soon as possible.

They have been fixing characters at an unprecedented rate lately. If you were here a year ago you would understand.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2015
    So as a guy who has read comics for over 30 years i can say that the pathetic politically correct progressive narrative undercurrent in real comics is alive and well here too. Embarrassing.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    They have been fixing characters at an unprecedented rate lately. If you were here a year ago you would understand.
    raisinbman wrote:

Someone asked a question of what happens when a roster is exponentially big....Y'know what, actually I think I'm gonna stop responding to all these people. Its obvious y'all didn't see what happened with League of Legends.
  • Pylgrim
    edited January 2015
    So as a guy who has read comics for over 30 years i can say that the pathetic politically correct progressive narrative undercurrent in real comics is alive and well here too. Embarrassing.

I don't understand... what would be the problem with that kind of superhero? Sounds like an interesting character full of nuance to me. I'd much rather have one of those than a new "I'm a flawless white hypermuscled man/hyperT&A'd woman who fights for the supremacy of America and/or the Western World over all those other nations full of brown-skinned terrorists or aliens standing-in for them.
  • Dauthi
    edited January 2015
    raisinbman wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Someone asked a question of what happens when a roster is exponentially big....Y'know what, actually I think I'm gonna stop responding to all these people. Its obvious y'all didn't see what happened with League of Legends.

I played League, and it suffers the same as all games that require balancing: you end up with tiers of characters since perfect balancing is impossible. Granted there is OP characters released sometimes and fixed shortly after.

The difference here is that D3 is fixing characters faster than they are releasing broken ones now.

Better yet, a white middle aged man who is homophobic, drives a hummer, and disbelieves 99% of scientists despite their consensus! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • You can have lots of characters and still have a game be balanced. DOTA 2 and most versions of SFIV are proof of this. They don't have to be 'newly released' characters to suck and need improvement.
  • NorthernPolarity
    raisinbman wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

I think you just have an entirely unrealistic expectation of what can reasonably be accomplished within a given time frame. The only "tinykitty tools" that exist now anyways are Rags, Doc Ock, Beast, arguably Spidey (although he's been pretty okay in the current heroic). Every single other character in the game has some sort of application in PvE, and so at least serve some sort of function. The rate at which we've been seeing character buffs / changes has been more than reasonable in the past few months (what, 2ish characters per season?), and it seems silly to complain about it.

Once upon a time, the devs tried to give "more communication" by releasing a huge list of characters that they said they were evaluating and planned to change (9-10 chars I believe). Several months later, no changes have been made to any of those characters, and most of the forum gave them tinykitty for not acting on that change for months. That was also a form of unrealistic expectations ("The devs posted that list months ago, why haven't they fixed everything yet!"), and as a result the devs learned a valuable lesson to not give the forum those expectations, and instead just announce character changes when they're actually being worked on and close to completion. That has been exactly what they've been doing now, and any changes to that (say, a "we will fix she-hulk, beast, spidey, and everyone really soon! post") will just result in more unrealistic expectations being set and history repeating itself. Maybe I'm just being an old MPQ fart, but considering it took 5 months to fix the game breaking move that was C. Mags blue, to hear newer players complaining about the lack of balance when we're getting so many balance changes for the better just completely sets off my "Damned kids and their music. Back in my day..." response.

I mean, just look at the rate of unplayable characters introduced vs number of unplayable characters fixed in the past two months:
    Number of unplayable characters introduced - 0
    Number of unplayable characters fixed - 3 (Daredevil, Doom, Loki)
    Number of unplayable characters left - 3-4ish...?

At this rate, all characters will be reasonably playable in just a couple of months!
  • Dauthi
    I mean, just look at the rate of unplayable characters introduced vs number of unplayable characters fixed in the past two months:

At this rate, all characters will be reasonably playable in just a couple of months!

The best part is they are doing it extremely well too. All 3 of those characters have seen some very unique retooling/additions to their repertoire. They are different, strong, and make sense in both how they play and how their character is in the marvel world. I tip my hat to them there.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

I think you just have an entirely unrealistic expectation of what can reasonably be accomplished within a given time frame. The only "tinykitty tools" that exist now anyways are Rags, Doc Ock, Beast, arguably Spidey (although he's been pretty okay in the current heroic). Every single other character in the game has some sort of application in PvE, and so at least serve some sort of function. The rate at which we've been seeing character buffs / changes has been more than reasonable in the past few months (what, 2ish characters per season?), and it seems silly to complain about it.

Once upon a time, the devs tried to give "more communication" by releasing a huge list of characters that they said they were evaluating and planned to change (9-10 chars I believe). Several months later, no changes have been made to any of those characters, and most of the forum gave them tinykitty for not acting on that change for months. That was also a form of unrealistic expectations ("The devs posted that list months ago, why haven't they fixed everything yet!"), and as a result the devs learned a valuable lesson to not give the forum those expectations, and instead just announce character changes when they're actually being worked on and close to completion. That has been exactly what they've been doing now, and any changes to that (say, a "we will fix she-hulk, beast, spidey, and everyone really soon! post") will just result in more unrealistic expectations being set and history repeating itself. Maybe I'm just being an old MPQ fart, but considering it took 5 months to fix the game breaking move that was C. Mags blue, to hear newer players complaining about the lack of balance when we're getting so many balance changes for the better just completely sets off my "Damned kids and their music. Back in my day..." response.

That's awesome you have an opinion.

I'd like that list. Regardless of others impatience or childishness. Also, They weren't following through so we could hold them accountable with a list.

And yes, your bias is showing - if you haven't seen rain all your life, OF COURSE when it rains every 2-3 weeks you'd be amazed and thankful.

I stand by the fact if they can release a character every "week", they can fix a character every "week" and deliver them to us.
    Dauthi wrote:
    The best part is they are doing it extremely well too. All 3 of those characters have seen some very unique retooling/additions to their repertoire. They are different, strong, and make sense in both how they play and how their character is in the marvel world. I tip my hat to them there.

This is why I want the other characters fixed ASAP. We have evidence there's at least 1 person who actually knows how to make a character at MPQ.

PS: there are much more 'unplayable' character than the ones you mentioned. We can't just think of 3* and 4* characters. We must think of ALL players and characters.
  • Pylgrim
    raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

That's awesome you have an opinion.

I'd like that list. Regardless of others impatience or childishness. Also, They weren't following through so we could hold them accountable with a list.

And yes, your bias is showing - if you haven't seen rain all your life, OF COURSE when it rains every 2-3 weeks you'd be amazed and thankful.

I stand by the fact if they can release a character every "week", they can fix a character every "week" and deliver them to us.
    Dauthi wrote:

This is why I want the other characters fixed ASAP. We have evidence there's at least 1 person who actually knows how to make a character at MPQ.

PS: there are much more 'unplayable' character than the ones you mentioned. We can't just think of 3* and 4* characters. We must think of ALL players and characters.

There are no characters released "every week" they are released every two weeks, with the exception of certain period during last year where the average was more like 1.5 weeks and that was more a combination of external factors (release Blade for Halloween, Dino for Anniversary, 4*Thor to coincide with the official appearance of the character (surely a request from Marvel itself)). Very likely not coincidentally the two characters released that period (Beast and Doc Ock) are the worst created since the early stages of the game, clearly suffering from rushed development to get all the other stuff done.

So yes, rebalancing a character takes almost as much time and effort as creating a new one. We do not want them to rush the development of new characters (to avoid more Beasts) and they do not want to slow their release rate (for many players, new characters is what keep them coming back). That means that rebalancing of old characters needs to be done in addition to the rest of the stuff, but with lower priority, hence, a much slower pace. And yeah 2* characters have the lowest priority of all so don't wait standing.
  • The problem with balance in this game is that it doesn't have a layer of obfuscation like many of the games mentioned here. A game like LoL you have APM being a huge level of obfuscation, as if the best player in LoL just told you a random character is the best in the game and showed you a video of him playing, and assuming you don't have other guys to consult you cannot easily say if that character is really that good or is it just because the person playing is way better than you. On the other hand it'd be awfully hard to come up with anything showing Bagman is best character in the game, even if you came up with fairly contrieved situations it'd not be hard to realize that this doesn't happen in most games. Since MPQ does not attempt to confuse its users this also means effectively only the top 5 most powerful characters are playable. Even if the top 5 is only 0.1% better than the rest, as long as you know this you might as well still take the 0.1% advantage over 0%. So while the recent balance record is relatively decent, it's not sufficient because a game like this requires much better, perhaps even impossible, level of balance to make sense.

It'd probably be way easier to add an additional layer of obfuscation like say a random select mode. In fact this is what Hearthstone does with Arena. The underyling game is probably not really balanced, but Arena hides the underlying imbalance well enough since it's essentially a random select mode and even if you insist on using whatever class that is weaker than anyone else, the matchup/cards are random enough that you can still occasionally do well.