*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

1192021222325»

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    mexus wrote:
    I only read the first page here. Lots of bashing on Squirrel Girl and I imagine the rest of the pages to be just as harsh.
    Things is, she's my latest champ, and I really like her. Am I wrong? Discuss.
    No. End of discussion.
    Purple and green are both good powers. Yellow isn't impressive though. Problem is there's plenty of other good purple/green users in the game...

Yeah, but there are also characters that have good red, black and blue abilities so basically she'd be doomed no matter what colors she was put to use.
    purpleflag.png has very low AP cost and looks fun,
    greenflag.png is like a more awesome Speed Shot.
    Let me phrase this Another way: Squirrel Girl was released around the same time as Kamala Khan and Iron Fist. If you need a green/Purple threestar for your team, why should you pick Squirrel Girl over either one of them?
    I like Squirrel Girl a lot - the board shake from the green can be very helpful, and there's not many direct damage Purples, but there's no denying she's been overshadowed by flashier characters. It doesn't help that not everyone appreciates the choice of character and art either.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Well put, Quebbster. SG could stand on her own if the 3-star tier wasn't so top heavy and 'set'. Her purple can be a monster against Dark Avenger teams that feature Bullseye and Daken while her green does a little of everything: minor board shake, destroyed tiles generate AP and packs a decent punch once everything has resolved. Her yellow is dumb, as stated, but if she's one of your first champs you do a lot worse but some of the best characters in 3-star land are green/purple users so she gets left behind quickly.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Agreed with most of above, although I still find her very useful in quite a few situations:

Vs. 3* Storm: SG's purple does incredible damage if Storm happens to get her Hailstorm off, it can be 7K+ if champed. Bring Switch along for easy purple and you can nearly down two enemies in a row.
    Also, since you'll be collecting green for the great Squirrels power, it gets denied from Storm.
    A big note about this power, it splits the damage for each green CD that goes off. So, there's less of a chance of wasted overkill on a specific enemy.

Vs. 3* Magneto: He always seems to get his protect tiles out so easily. Similarly, the purple does great damage with all these specials on the board.

Vs. 3* Blade: As stated by others (and against Daken etc.), he seems to get strikes out very quickly if you can't get red matched away fast enough. You'll be wanting to deny Blade purple anyway, so yours will down him quickly even with just a few enemy strikes on the board.

Special mention: Bring a Strike Tile user. SG's damage adds up so much with all the individual hits from the green CD's and when they resolve. For example, Daken is excellent here since you will already be going for green AP, and he'll be producing strikes everywhere.

So, yes she can be more situational than you may want in a regular team. But Kamala gets to feel cheap after a while and SG can certainly be more entertaining
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I've enjoyed using SG and Patch together in the current SG PVP - once I'm down to the last enemy, I use a Patch Green then SG Purple for a massive nuke
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've enjoyed using SG and Patch together in the current SG PVP - once I'm down to the last enemy, I use a Patch Green then SG Purple for a massive nuke
    She's fun and a great choice against anyone generating tiles. I'll be using her against some symbiotes this weekend. 3mags was boosted for this event so I saw a lot of him in the PvP; I just waited for him to fire his yellow and then blasted away with SG's purple.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    To echo what many have said above me. She's great for green and purple but there are a bunch of other green and purple users in 3 star land. I know this has been suggested before (probably in this thread) but if they simply removed the 'yellow ends turn' constriction, I believe that she would increase ten fold in use and popularity.
  • Rick_OShay
    I agree that if her yellow wouldn't end the turn that she would be much more popular.
    There is one instance when it's fine though. Sometimes when you play her green, it's good to end the turn with her yellow power, therefore NOT having to make a move - because so often your next move puts her green CD's into danger of being matched.
    A lot of players do not realize that her green gathers the AP it shatters on each count, which makes her expensive ability a bit more easy to tolerate.
    Btw, if you have Goblin he can be a decent teammate (outside of the purple color overlap). His yellow not only fortifies her important CD's, but also you can use his yellow to reduce their timers, helping to ensure the fire off.
    These two leave an opening for a red-blue user which there are many to round out the team nicely. If you are a 3-star player try Vision for example. Have his blue density out when SG plays her green and cascade action can hit for thousands.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    So, can anyone else confirm that SG's yellow is failing to end turns when used by the computer?
    Am I the only one?
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, can anyone else confirm that SG's yellow is failing to end turns when used by the computer?
    Am I the only one?

In Iso-8 Brotherhood yesterday the AI used a SG-yellow TU that did end the turn.  I'll keep an eye out on this in the PVP and report back if I see the same thing.  Unfortunately, I'm running 4Thor/IM40, so the AI has yet to get enough yellow to use, yet, but it's early...
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Am I the only one?
    Hit or miss on this. I think I've even had my turn continue after using her yellow before. Not sure what might be triggering it, but yeah, the power sometimes lets the turn continue.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    They really should make her power NOT ending the turn though. It's so much better that way when that bug happen. I really don't understand their reason for making it a turn ending move. The protect tiles aren't even that super strong or anything. 
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    mexus said:
    himatako said:
    They really should make her power NOT ending the turn though. It's so much better that way when that bug happen. I really don't understand their reason for making it a turn ending move. The protect tiles aren't even that super strong or anything. 
    Same as with The Hoods twin pistols. I see no reason for it to end the turn. Maybe it's just because they wanted unique skills; not just a regular nuke / defence tile generation.
    IIRC, Hoods's yellow used to be able to one-shot a character. You also used to gain AP from all the destroyed tiles as well, so ending the turn was kind of justified. But now that the power doesn't even get you AP anymore, and it isn't even strong enough to one-shot anyone, I don't know why they still make it a turn-ending power.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    himatako said:
    IIRC, Hoods's yellow used to be able to one-shot a character. You also used to gain AP from all the destroyed tiles as well, so ending the turn was kind of justified. But now that the power doesn't even get you AP anymore, and it isn't even strong enough to one-shot anyone, I don't know why they still make it a turn-ending power.

Yeah, that sounds correct.  I believe they changed that when 4Thor was released, as the combination of an AP-gaining Twin Pistols and a board full of charged tiles was thought to be ridiculous...but that's just off memory; I'm sure someone will confirm/correct.

Back to Squirrel Girl, because the defense tiles are so lackluster, I tend to use her yellow specifically to end the turn when I don't have a good move more than anything else.  It doesn't make sense for the power, but it doesn't bother me, either.  I just don't use it much, which would also be the case if it didn't end the turn.

The one change I do with they'd made for her is to remove the cap on damage for her purple.  It seems like it wouldn't be too easy to exploit and she's only a mid-tier 3*, so why not?

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Damage cap on Nuts from Above is justified. At 238, mine has a potential of 7849 for 9 purple. Its low side of 2817 is bad, but when you can half health Carnage for 9 AP, that's pretty respectable. For Cover Squirrel, the 15,758 she can do means better nobody bring any special tiles to that fight... Should I pair her with Cardusa before this PVP ends? 18 purple with Carnage throwing out the enemy tiles could down most of the boosted Legendaries I see.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her purple can be just brutal against Ultron Sentries, too. I used her a bunch in the Ultron sub last time Strange Sights ran, and was just wrecking dudes all over the place with that one.
  • Rick_OShay
    Playing her PvP was quite fun with my newly champed Coulson. His purple charge-swap really makes getting the 11 green AP for Squirrels much easier. Make sure you have some TU for when the 4 CD's are out. Each time they count down you gather all the AP that is destroyed, then Coulson speeds up some of their timers.
    His passive gains 2 AP for each CD that resolves, so that you are certainly ahead of the 11 it took to start the process. Plus, when boosted her green hits pretty good, depending on boosted level, doing around 12K total. 
    Played them with boosted 4Thor and it was crazy how fast your powers were ready to fire off.