The Simulator - Dec 30 - Jan 7

Options

Comments

• WARNING! on Hard Sim 09 the third power for Doom is active. He hits for 1755 a trap. It just went off at the end to down my Sentry.

Yup, downed my Sentry also. Doom just became the one to kill first in that node.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wish I had thought about that before updating. Shouldn't matter too much since I have quite a lead, but changing things in the middle is super annoying and should always be avoided.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    Mr Stoat of Agent Archer, any chance you could take your foot off the gas this last day? I notice that you, unlike me, have Thor fully covered already...

I'm definitely intending to slow it down for you. I noticed a while back you need the vthor cover and i'm not in an alliance where pve is a priority.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    If scaling is based on the boosted essential, then I'm very glad that I never had the chance to level up Sentry. Thus far, he is a meat shield that lets me gather red, green and yellow for X-Force and Thor. That has value in itself. I haven't used a single AP for him.

I saw you in my bracket Moonroach! I thought, how cool to have a well-known forumite in my bracket. Just stay there in 3rd so I can relax! icon_lol.gif

You and #2 are so far ahead I haven't been trying for the top since about day 2. I'm doing enough to stay comfortably top 10 and get 3 covers, and that's it. It's not like anyone else in Roaches (except my other account) is trying hard in this event, so there aren't any alliance rewards to push for.
  • Can someone tell me the exact time this event finishes?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    WARNING! on Hard Sim 09 the third power for Doom is active. He hits for 1755 a trap. It just went off at the end to down my Sentry.
    Oh carp.

I really really really _really_ wish they would stop changing skills/other stuff in the middle of events.
    It couldn't have been _that_ hard to wait until Simulator was over.

Well good thing I could pretty much stop playing now and still be good for first in Hard and T10 in the main.
    Something something events are always running, so there's never a break

(never mind that both the sim and CA end at about the same time)
  • What kind of lead would someone need with, say, 12 hours remaining, over the current tenth-place person, to guarantee (or close to) top ten in this? My slice finishes at 9 am tomorrow morning for me; I go to bed 10-11, and I will probably be able to play a little tomorrow morning, but not uber-grind, before work. I'm trying to figure out if I can lock this up tonight just in case. I was around 40k ahead of #10 at lunch.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    What kind of lead would someone need with, say, 12 hours remaining, over the current tenth-place person, to guarantee (or close to) top ten in this? My slice finishes at 9 am tomorrow morning for me; I go to bed 10-11, and I will probably be able to play a little tomorrow morning, but not uber-grind, before work. I'm trying to figure out if I can lock this up tonight just in case. I was around 40k ahead of #10 at lunch.

I remember it was like 6000 points for hard so that'd be 9000 * 5 cycles = 45000 points. Then there's rubberbanding and that you can potentially clear more at the end for about 2 more cycles worth of points.

Although it's extremely unlikely to lose a 40K lead, there are enough points that you can't rule this out as impossible.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    edit: taking out first part, you covered the final clear and i don't read good.
    Phantron wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    What kind of lead would someone need with, say, 12 hours remaining, over the current tenth-place person, to guarantee (or close to) top ten in this? My slice finishes at 9 am tomorrow morning for me; I go to bed 10-11, and I will probably be able to play a little tomorrow morning, but not uber-grind, before work. I'm trying to figure out if I can lock this up tonight just in case. I was around 40k ahead of #10 at lunch.

I remember it was like 6000 points for hard so that'd be 9000 * 5 cycles = 45000 points. Then there's rubberbanding and that you can potentially clear more at the end for about 2 more cycles worth of points.

Although it's extremely unlikely to lose a 40K lead, there are enough points that you can't rule this out as impossible.

But that's also assuming someone can reasonably full clear the hard sub 9 times in 12 hours, which is unlikely for someone trailing by 40k to begin with.
  • orbitalint wrote:
    I guess the top 20 are still spending money or something, otherwise this is a bit of a bust for the devs I would think.
    Except for the top 1 in my bracket who I am positive doesn't sleep and probably spends a ton on healthpacks for optimal clears (he's opened up a 100k lead on the rest of us top 10 folk), I don't think even top 20 are giving any money to this event. My bracket is practically dead with no movers, so, there is no need to do anything close to optimal clears.

Scaling is a pain but for a 7 day event, I enjoy this much more than having to play every node every 2 hours and 25 minutes and grind when you want to sleep to hope to stay in the range for a new cover. Even for a 3 or 4 day events, that's way more disruptive to my life. I can actually play when I want or have the time. While awake, I think I went 12 hours each day this weekend without looking at MPQ, did a clear or two and went to bed and have barely moved in placement.

I don't know what brackets you're in where you can afford to 'take a break' in any PVE. You want top billing? You can't take a break, period. For all these 7 day events(with the exception of this one) I've scored horribly because you have to play at least every 12 hours.

I'd much rather play at least every 12 hours over a weekend period than a week period.

As Ben said, its because people aren't playing this event. Nothing else.
    simonsez wrote:
    It's awesome that the opposing teams have access to abilities and teamups that we don't.

Then you probably are furious when you face Gorgon, eh?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    It's awesome that the opposing teams have access to abilities and teamups that we don't.

Please explore the difference between not having access to a character and not having access to an ability.
  • simonsez wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Please explore the difference between not having access to a character and not having access to an ability.

Characters don't bother you but abilities do? And I thought I had heard everything...
  • But that's also assuming someone can reasonably full clear the hard sub 9 times in 12 hours, which is unlikely for someone trailing by 40k to begin with.

I'm sure you'll be fine with even half of that lead (20K) but you never know if a bunch of PvE hardcores secretly acquired all the accounts in your bracket and decide to teach someone a lesson!

I'm actually in a pretty similar situation too so I do hope that 40K is enough as that's roughly the margin I have over #10 as well.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:

Unless you have info on the amount of points they have in each sub its totally unknowable. There an easy 80K these subs just working the rubber band and probably closer to 100K with some more effort. I just play the hard sub until the last 10h to maintain my position around the top 10 then I can do a easy 40K in normal with the rubber band if required. (Rubber band for my normal sub is currently 4.13 and will be close to 5 by the time I start work on the nodes)

The best picture will have been at the end of the second sub. If you had 40K lead then over 10th chances of losing it would be close to zero with any amount of effort if however you were 20K behind tenth and so far worked harder on these subs than the other guys in the top 10 your chances of holding on to top 10 are slim.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Characters don't bother you but abilities do? And I thought I had heard everything...
    You think I've been losing sleep over never getting to use Maggia?

If you think it's fine that we have to face a Doom with a 3rd power when ours can't have one, that's fine. I disagree. Just stop extrapolating my point to include things I'm not talking about.
  • Sumilea wrote:
    The best picture will have been at the end of the second sub. If you had 40K lead then over 10th chances of losing it would be close to zero with any amount of effort if however you were 20K behind tenth and so far worked harder on these subs than the other guys in the top 10 your chances of holding on to top 10 are slim.

I think I had about a 30k lead then. I'm at about 25k now - clearly some people are pushing - but I'll hammer the normal sub before bed and make sure I do a few clears tomorrow morning and I should be safe, I think.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

If you think it's fine that we have to face a Doom with a 3rd power when ours can't have one, that's fine. I disagree. Just stop extrapolating my point to include things I'm not talking about.
    I don't think I would mind all that much if it were specifically intended as an introduction or highlight of his new power (similar to how 3* daken was an enemy right before we won him) but the way this is done is just an oversight and unintended consequence of the update coming out in the middle of the event.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    But that's also assuming someone can reasonably full clear the hard sub 9 times in 12 hours, which is unlikely for someone trailing by 40k to begin with.

I'm sure you'll be fine with even half of that lead (20K) but you never know if a bunch of PvE hardcores secretly acquired all the accounts in your bracket and decide to teach someone a lesson!

I'm actually in a pretty similar situation too so I do hope that 40K is enough as that's roughly the margin I have over #10 as well.
    I've got a 19k lead on 11th place and I'm not at all comfortable with it
  • My bracket is still intense.
    Top 2 players have about 20k lead but the difference between top 3 and top 10 is
    only 8k. I'm on 5th now but if I miss a couple of refreshes, I'd be kicked out of
    top 10. Seems like there will be no rest till the last minutes. icon_e_sad.gif
  • simonsez wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

It was the same for Gauntlet.

Also, you're taking a joke wayyy too serious.
    mohio wrote:
    I don't think I would mind all that much if it were specifically intended as an introduction or highlight of his new power (similar to how 3* daken was an enemy right before we won him) but the way this is done is just an oversight and unintended consequence of the update coming out in the middle of the event.

Gorgon didn't get an intro.