The Hunt: Ares

Comments

• Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Apologies if this has been asked; I haven't read the middle pages of this thread, but:

Do the special event heroic tokens exist? I don't see them on any of the placement or progression awards lists. I only started playing 2-3 weeks ago, and I was hoping for some shots at some of the 3*** covers.

EDIT: Never mind. I finally figured out that those only come from spending HP, not from progression placement awards.

Also, why doesn't the BBCode for strikethrough text work?
  • Ghast wrote:
    Arclight wrote:
    Ghast wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    There's no need to grind too much. Rubberbanding will kick in a little bit. Play at optimal times, get a few matches going, and then grind for the last hour.

My Ares is sitting on 1/2/3. Yours must be 2/3/3 unless you haven't opened the Savage Land sub yet. Ares yellow at 10K progression.

No one can have three red or green covers before tonight unless you can already pull Ares. Max build is (2/2/3) until Savage Land rewards are doled out.

It looks like we will all be (3/x/3) with some decisions to make by the end of this thing.

Why can no one have three green or red covers? There is still the possibility to train with HP icon_razz.gif

That is a fair point that I completely overlooked.

But first they need to win at least one red to have the ability to buy more, and if they are good enough to place top 2 in a 9-day event with at least a dozen chances to win red covers...

Still, people can do whatever they want with their HP.

Bah..my mistake. 2/2/3 Ares. Don't know why, but I always put yellow second.
  • oh god... so damn freaking hard to kill of this trio lv240 rag venom and ares... always lose to venom as he is the last villain i left out for last to fight... but somehow always lucky enough to match black or purple off screen when he match random tiles... out of nonwhere pop out 6 black tiles give him critical then another 6 purple out of nonwhere another critical... what is the odd that fate against me in the last sec? guess is not my day to hunt down ares icon_cry.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    DX_das wrote:
    oh god... so damn freaking hard to kill of this trio lv240 rag venom and ares... always lose to venom as he is the last villain i left out for last to fight... but somehow always lucky enough to match black or purple off screen when he match random tiles... out of nonwhere pop out 6 black tiles give him critical then another 6 purple out of nonwhere another critical... what is the odd that fate against me in the last sec? guess is not my day to hunt down ares icon_cry.gif
    Honestly, rag is the least threatening of them now, leave him for last unless the 3rd is like yelena or bullseye
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Imagine pre-nerf Rag teamed up with Ares icon_e_wink.gif
  • eidehua wrote:
    Imagine pre-nerf Rag teamed up with Ares icon_e_wink.gif

He wouldn't combo well in the sense that Onslaught immediately ends any attempt to try to cascade back to Thunderclap. Of course with the old Ragnarok an Onslaught would likely immediately end the life of the opposing character too.
  • Are there more subs after Savage Lands? Or just three subs?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    So...I don't know if this a dumb question, but is there actually rubberbanding in the subs? I haven't seen any insane scores in the subs. Everything looks very much in reach, no really crazy scores out there.
  • Nemek wrote:
    So...I don't know if this a dumb question, but is there actually rubberbanding in the subs? I haven't seen any insane scores in the subs. Everything looks very much in reach, no really crazy scores out there.

Not as pronounced as in the Hulk event, but I've seen it. Also, the rubberbanding didn't really start in heavy in Hulk until after Hulk unlocked (mid-way point). I fully expect it to kick in hard sometime during the week for this one.
  • I never knew how annoying Daken can really be until he is at a higher level in this event. It's like im being punishe to use Hulk/storm and match green because of pheromone rage. If he wasnt their 9/10 I could down the rest of team with no problems, he is beyond annoying so i take him out first! icon_mad.gif
  • Damn! Made my push too late. I woulda finished top 2 easily but I spent too much time on the Hulk tourney. Finished about 11th, 12th. Oh well.
  • Clearly I've completely underestimated the rubber-banding.

I've only done missions right before the end of each sub (just been three so far I think?). I've done a few of the repeatables multiple times (200+ villain just once each).

So I fully expected to do well in each sub and I have, top 2, top 10, top 10 and have a 3/2/3 Ares.

But as of the end of the last sub tonight I'm 2nd in my main event bracket. If anything like that placement holds up I'm going to feel bad about taking Punisher covers from someone else because I finished his covers off with the Hulk event.

Maybe I'm just in an easy bracket and I've been lucky with my sub-brackets.
  • Clearly I've completely underestimated the rubber-banding.

I've only done missions right before the end of each sub (just been three so far I think?). I've done a few of the repeatables multiple times (200+ villain just once each).

So I fully expected to do well in each sub and I have, top 2, top 10, top 10 and have a 3/2/3 Ares.

But as of the end of the last sub tonight I'm 2nd in my main event bracket. If anything like that placement holds up I'm going to feel bad about taking Punisher covers from someone else because I finished his covers off with the Hulk event.

Maybe I'm just in an easy bracket and I've been lucky with my sub-brackets.

Yeah, I got a top 2 and a top 50. Figure I'll take a sub or two off. Not really interested in any rewards other than Ares covers a d grinding iso. The 500hp was a pleasant surprise. I'd been expecting 100.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Managed to get top 2 again by doing my standard "join at the start, do nothing until 9 hours left, at which point grind everything, then do nothing and grind the repeatables to the finish". That makes me 3/3 in top 2 finishes: I wonder at what point rubber banding catches up to me... Maybe I should consider just grinding florida/alaska right now for iso in order to have a shot at 500hp during the next savage... Soenottelling, I saw you got 1st in my bracket, what was your strategy?
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    entropic01 wrote:
    Are there more subs after Savage Lands? Or just three subs?
    Just those three repeating.

Forever.
  • Managed to get top 2 again by doing my standard "join at the start, do nothing until 9 hours left, at which point grind everything, then do nothing and grind the repeatables to the finish". That makes me 3/3 in top 2 finishes: I wonder at what point rubber banding catches up to me... Maybe I should consider just grinding florida/alaska right now for iso in order to have a shot at 500hp during the next savage... Soenottelling, I saw you got 1st in my bracket, what was your strategy?

More power to you. The high level missions are tougher this time around due to the changes to Ragnarok and the required characters (which I think are different on some missions).
  • So is it possible to place in 1 or 2 without an IW?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Misguided wrote:
    Managed to get top 2 again by doing my standard "join at the start, do nothing until 9 hours left, at which point grind everything, then do nothing and grind the repeatables to the finish". That makes me 3/3 in top 2 finishes: I wonder at what point rubber banding catches up to me... Maybe I should consider just grinding florida/alaska right now for iso in order to have a shot at 500hp during the next savage... Soenottelling, I saw you got 1st in my bracket, what was your strategy?

More power to you. The high level missions are tougher this time around due to the changes to Ragnarok and the required characters (which I think are different on some missions).

My team wasn't strong enough to do the high level missions last time, so I can't really relate, but I thought the nerfs to rag made the missions a lot easier compared to hulk 240s. Ares is a huge beating though, so meh.
    So is it possible to place in 1 or 2 without an IW?

I would imagine it to be extremely hard: That mission got me around 500-1000 bonus points, so it accounted for ~20% of my total points.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    So is it possible to place in 1 or 2 without an IW?
    I was only able to reach within top 200 in my bracket without IW and Punisher. Not being able to do the higher level missions will lock you out from top spots unkess you somehow end up in a bracket with nobody else having IW or Punisher.

Surprisingly, somehow made a push to top 15 in my Hulk bracket during the last 1 1/2 hour with zero retaliations. Only had about 650 points but earned my first two punisher covers. I will try to place within top 100 or higher now if I'm strong enough to take down enemies with my boosted Hulk and Cap.
  • Everyone is rubbering me out of top placement, I'm going to cry and only play in the last 1-2hrs of the event missions.