The Hunt: Ares

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punisher/spidey have pretty good synergy. Get a few strike and attack tiles down and you're doing a thousand damage a turn passively. Just need to keep denying AP and stuning when they get enough to cast
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does rubber banding for sub events happen with respect to the points of the leaders within your subbracket, or the leaders of the main bracket?

It is a bit more complex again.

Rubber banding is determined by how your main bracket is doing compared to other main brackets. At least that's how it was last hunt.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Does rubber banding for sub events happen with respect to the points of the leaders within your subbracket, or the leaders of the main bracket?

It is a bit more complex again.

Rubber banding is determined by how your main bracket is doing compared to other main brackets. At least that's how it was last hunt.

Good to know.

Just placed top 2 in Alaska, turns out that the random IW cover I got from a previous tourney made all the difference: let me grind 500 points out of nowhere and get ahead of the other 2 guys in the last 15 mins.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Phantron wrote:
    The level 240s are clearly meant to be done with 3 of the boosted characters, so if you don't have them high level, especially the one you're forced to use, of course they're not going to be beaten reliably. In fact I find the 3X level 120 fight to be harder than 3X240, because you're forced to use IW so it's basically like only having two characters, and you can't really establish any kind of synergy with only two (none of the boosted character works well in conjunction without Wolverine, but without Wolverine you don't have enough firepower via strike tiles to wear them down, unless you've a high level Punisher, and you sure aren't beating those guys with 2 unboosted characters reliably either).

I found the 120 fight to be a lot easier with 85 wolvie/widow than the 240 fight. Even though you're down a character, the villains in the 120 fight have half the health, giving you a lot more leeway when it comes to bursting them down. Furthermore, Moonstone and daken are pushovers for the most part, so once you down ares, the fight is pretty much over. The 240 fight on the other hand, is a lot harder due to the villains taking forever to down, and all 3 having an extremely high dps ability.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Roya PQ wrote:
    Kyosokun wrote:
    I'm still just sitting in the first sub. First in my bracket, and I'm willing to forgo florida to focus on getting first here. Once I'm done with this event, I'll be targeting a first finish in Savage Lands. =D Then, maybe I'll do Florida for the free iso.
    That's a good plan. I've been playing this one horribly so far.

Seems like a really good plan. Does savage lands open after florida ends, or during? I don't see it on my screen.
  • Phantron wrote:
    The level 240s are clearly meant to be done with 3 of the boosted characters, so if you don't have them high level, especially the one you're forced to use, of course they're not going to be beaten reliably. In fact I find the 3X level 120 fight to be harder than 3X240, because you're forced to use IW so it's basically like only having two characters, and you can't really establish any kind of synergy with only two (none of the boosted character works well in conjunction without Wolverine, but without Wolverine you don't have enough firepower via strike tiles to wear them down, unless you've a high level Punisher, and you sure aren't beating those guys with 2 unboosted characters reliably either).

I found the 120 fight to be a lot easier with 85 wolvie/widow than the 240 fight. Even though you're down a character, the villains in the 120 fight have half the health, giving you a lot more leeway when it comes to bursting them down. Furthermore, Moonstone and daken are pushovers for the most part, so once you down ares, the fight is pretty much over. The 240 fight on the other hand, is a lot harder due to the villains taking forever to down, and all 3 having an extremely high dps ability.
    I don't have a IW, but I also only have a lvl 6 hawkeye so effectively the 120 fight in Florida is also only a 2 character battle and I'm able to finish consistently with 85 wolverine and 45 cap. I do take a good chunk of damage though since the battles go a bit long, but it's far easier than the 240 battle was. It also helps that there isn't an Ares but yeah...
  • I skipped the first sub mission, and now I am currently second in the Florida mission. I think I'm going to keep skipping subs to place very high in others. Not sure how that's going to effect my final score, but I think it sell be worth it in the long runic I can score a couple top 2 finishes.
  • I've had more luck on the Bag Lady missions with a maxed Thor and 60ish IM40 than any buffed characters, which is a bit sad. If you can get most of a double Recharge off you can Mjolly even 240s to death before they do much. Hugely dependent on initial board state and R/Y boosted, obviously. Also helps a little that IM40's skill damage is still boosted, probably from previous Hunt, and probably going to be fixed after the weekend.

I'd guess Hawkeye (for all his unreliability) hiding behind Hulk is the buffed pair with the best chance if you have both well developed. Cap can also take a hit or two without dying, but has too much AP overlap with Hawkeye.
  • Having all kinds of connection issues. I'm not even going to try for the top spot.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Having all kinds of connection issues. I'm not even going to try for the top spot.

Same here.
  • Going for top spot in my bracket, top 5 I think are all within a mission of points for top.
    All this connection stuff isn't helping out the battle.
  • It's crazy that with such massive buffs to Hulk and Cap that Wolverine and Thor are still by far my best team.
  • This grind......

But I now have a 2/3/2 Ares to show for 2 top 2s
  • There's no need to grind too much. Rubberbanding will kick in a little bit. Play at optimal times, get a few matches going, and then grind for the last hour.

My Ares is sitting on 1/2/3. Yours must be 2/3/3 unless you haven't opened the Savage Land sub yet. Ares yellow at 10K progression.
  • Bullseye wrote:
    This grind......

But I now have a 2/3/2 Ares to show for 2 top 2s

LOL and 1000 hp? icon_razz.gif Congrats
  • jozier wrote:
    There's no need to grind too much. Rubberbanding will kick in a little bit. Play at optimal times, get a few matches going, and then grind for the last hour.

My Ares is sitting on 1/2/3. Yours must be 2/3/3 unless you haven't opened the Savage Land sub yet. Ares yellow at 10K progression.

No one can have three red or green covers before tonight unless you can already pull Ares. Max build is (2/2/3) until Savage Land rewards are doled out.

It looks like we will all be (3/x/3) with some decisions to make by the end of this thing.
  • Ghast wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    There's no need to grind too much. Rubberbanding will kick in a little bit. Play at optimal times, get a few matches going, and then grind for the last hour.

No one can have three red or green covers before tonight unless you can already pull Ares. Max build is (2/2/3) until Savage Land rewards are doled out.

It looks like we will all be (3/x/3) with some decisions to make by the end of this thing.

True. I was just going off his post where he said he was 2/3/2. I know that 3 yellow is attainable, but forgot that 3 Red wasn't.
  • Ghast wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Why can no one have three green or red covers? There is still the possibility to train with HP icon_razz.gif
  • The feels when you're top 100 and go to bed with an hour left and wake up to top 500 prizes haha
  • Arclight wrote:
    Ghast wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Why can no one have three green or red covers? There is still the possibility to train with HP icon_razz.gif

That is a fair point that I completely overlooked.

But first they need to win at least one red to have the ability to buy more, and if they are good enough to place top 2 in a 9-day event with at least a dozen chances to win red covers...

Still, people can do whatever they want with their HP.