7 New Characters in 56 days, 1.6M Iso

Options
12346»

Comments

• Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    noone_ wrote:
    Yeah, I am on day 64 or so and I actually just quit the game. I was somewhat of a whale to start with and put over $150 in the game but I actually started JUST as the flood of new characters came rushing in. When I saw the latest PVE was nearly impossible for me by the end with Loki and Falcon wrecking my only levelled 3* (LCap), I just figured that was it.
    Sorry, but this is more about you than the game. The desire to progress fast made you pump money in. Myself, I paid about $25 in the first three months. I had a max 3* (coincidentally LCap as well) around the five month point, all earned or lucked into, nothing paid for. For whatever reason, I, and many other people, enjoy themselves in the game at the lower tiers in the early period. When I see someone say they paid $150 in two months, and they are unhappy they can't have it all, it's because they demanded everything NOW! You could pay another $200 and probably you could get what you want, but it might not be satisfying even then. You need to play for those important covers, you can't just buy them.

I have about 8-9 covers for Groot, Gamorra, Blade, Ock, and whoever else is new. Four on Thor and three on Fury. Fine with me. I have patience and enjoy the game. I'll have the 3* covered in a few months and the 4*'s a bit longer. I enjoy the place I am now. I don't need to hit 2,000 in PVP. Why would I need to have a 166 Groot or Gamorra now? I was fine before they came out, and I'm fine now.

Reading some complaints of this game, it makes me think of something like Final Fantasy or something, where someone wants to just swipe a credit card and skip to the final mission. It seems pretty dull.

If you decide to give it a second go, noone, try to choose three characters that blend well together, focus on them, get them maxed. Stop spending money. Enjoy playing. I've settled on X-Force, Laken, and Falcon. You can choose what you like. But don't quit because you can't have every 3* now!
  • Square wrote:
    Sorry, but this is more about you than the game. The desire to progress fast made you pump money in. Myself, I paid about $25 in the first three months. I had a max 3* (coincidentally LCap as well) around the five month point, all earned or lucked into, nothing paid for. For whatever reason, I, and many other people, enjoy themselves in the game at the lower tiers in the early period. When I see someone say they paid $150 in two months, and they are unhappy they can't have it all, it's because they demanded everything NOW! You could pay another $200 and probably you could get what you want, but it might not be satisfying even then. You need to play for those important covers, you can't just buy them.

<snip>

No no, no no, for so many reasons, just no.

First of all, this wasn't my only reason for stopping, it was just the final straw. I've made a couple of long posts about just some of my major complaints with the game. I'm not at all sorry about the amount I spent on the game for as much as I played it in the time I did but the fact that you can actually spend so much money on so little points to the fact that the designers, like most freemium designers, actually WANT people to swipe the credit card in hopes of people gambling away their money on the 3* slot machine.

If it wasn't even a possibility to be a whale, then I'd agree with you maybe. This isn't Final Fantasy my friend. You don't just pay your $60 and get unlimited access to all the game's content forever in perpetuity. And the new characters aren't XPACs that you pay a flat fee to get all access to eventually. The game ensures that you if you want to progress or even store your winnings, you MUST put some money into the game. Sure if you just ignore all the new content you can just keep playing the same stuff though, you're right about that.

Second, what I was referring to was less about not having all the three stars NOW (I actually have at least one of every three star, which I stated) and more to the point that there are SO many worthless three stars to begin with. Compounded by the fact that 3*s are practically useless compared to 2*s at less than 9 covers and you get a game that is far too slow to play.

In addition to personal scaling on PVE events which can be accidentally broken by leveling too many characters flatly or one character too high compared to the rest of your roster which almost punishes progress in the game for PVE which is half the fun. [Aside:There are really only about 6 three stars worth and only two four stars worth really getting.]

Third, the developers NEED people like me that pay money for the game continously. The cavalcade of new characters proves it. This whole flood of new characters has been handled extremely poorly and smacks of a developer desperate to make a quick buck off it's 80/20 rule customers because they're worried they'll have to close up shop or are extremely greedy.

They could have created permanent new packs with the new characters in it like any other CCG/Freemium. They could have put 4hor in the existing hero packs instead of only putting her in higher costed packs and rotated out the most horrible card in the game, Invisible Woman. They could have created a game where 3*s are useful from the day you get even one cover (let alone 7) other than artificially creating a use for them by creating essentials and showcasing them in PVPs. They could have created a game that has a bevy of useful 3*s that are all useful in their own and different ways.

But instead they created a game:
    - that punishes progress in PVE
    - has a way to gamble away a ton of money in hopes of getting 3*s
    - has no organic use for the 3*s you do get until they have at least 8-9 covers on them
    - that delays and dilutes the ability of getting just a handful of truly useful characters
    - has many useless characters because of their insistence that only two and maybe even one color really rule the top end damage (out of laziness or ignorance I don't know)
    - that has a system where the only way to get a top score is to dump a bunch of in-game currency on shield hops

Oh well, enjoy your hamster wheel dude. I wont be riding it any more. All the best to you.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, dude, it's a hamster wheel icon_rolleyes.gif
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    The devs should think about returning to the one new character every two weeks model which seemed to be working before the Anniversary ignited this flood of new characters.

Definitely! We will be returning immediately to the usual pace of one new character approximately every two weeks. After Gamora we are now back to the "normal" schedule. The extra characters added in recent weeks was really a perfect storm of our Anniversary week and the debut of Thor (Goddess of Thunder) on top of our usual schedule.

You'll see one more new character arriving a few weeks from now and that character will be the last one of the year. We didn't anticipate that some players would feel overwhelmed or experience "burn out" with the extra characters and we're sorry for that. We'll be factoring this knowledge into our scheduling as we move forward.
    Well, thanks for listening.

Personally, I wish you would never, ever, ever release a new character ever again - until you get your reward structure fixed. Every new character makes the game worse for me, not better. But I wish that wasn't the case, and I know it's only because of how you have your reward structures set up. Good luck.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    noone_ wrote:
    They could have put 4hor in the existing hero packs instead of only putting her in higher costed packs and rotated out the most horrible card in the game, Invisible Woman.
    4* Thor is in all the packs. The odds might be low, but she's in there. One of my alliance teammates got one from a standard token.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    4* Thor is in all the packs. The odds might be low, but she's in there. One of my alliance teammates got one from a standard token.

Huh, I wonder if mods have higher drop rates in tokens icon_razz.gif