7 New Characters in 56 days, 1.6M Iso

Options

Comments

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bonebreak wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Additionally one can consider using HP for shields for a top 5 finish as a way of spending HP for iso. It might not be an efficient usage of HP but if he's already buying HP in the bulk then you might as well use some of it to get the 5000 iso for top 5. While for most people it'd be a losing proposition (better off saving the HP than getting an extra 3000 iso), this is not a losing proposition if you were always going to buy that Stark Salary anyway.

I've finished top 5 or better in 99% of pvps for the last 9 months. A majory of thattime it was a first place finish and often selling the 1k iso 4star cover that came with it. The majority of that time I was in the alliance finishing 1st in almost every pvp and getting 5k bonus iso as that reward for a total of 10k per pvp between my own finish and my alliance one. I play many lighting rounds most of the time just to 100 rating for the 1k+ iso it comes with. I sometimes but rarely will go all in on a lighting round to finish in the top 2. I play every pve and get large node payouts. I have played the game for 340 days. Never bought ISO.

I have 15 characters capped including 3 4 stars. I have only 3 other characters above 100. I have only 2 2 stars capped. I dont generally partially level characters they are either base level or capped. The rest of my 37 characters on my roster are are base level 40, 15, 1.

With all the time I've played and with all the bonus ISO I have received for placement I'm at roughly 25% of the roster leveled.....

Here is what I have been doing since about the middle of last December.

I play at least 20 out of 24 Lightning Rounds to 300. That nets me an average of 4,500iso/ LR for 90,000 iso/wk from LR as a minimum. There are weeks I play all of them
    I finish top 5 in three PvP per week in a t50 alliance where I sell the covers for 9,000iso/PvP for another 27,000iso/wk from PvP
    PvE is variable but it tends to run about 7,000-10,000 iso/wk from Pve.
    In a bad week I make 124,000iso/wk In a good week like when seasons end I've made 140,000iso.

There a few others I know who aggressively mine the LR's as I do. It is the key to my iso flow.

I buy a Stark Salary every two weeks that's the source of my HP. As Phantron correctly surmises there are moments when I will use an extra shield or two to insure t5 so indirectly some of the HP I buy is turned into iso.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    I am absolutely in awe of your sheer whaledom, Colognoisseur. It's fun seeing what build you put up after a character gets released.

That said, I remember your anniversary post and your stated goal of banking 2 million ISO. I've been picturing the developers with a 'CHALLENGE ACCEPTED' meme the past few weeks.
  • a stark salary every 2 weeks??? Thats hardcore.

• Here is what I have been doing since about the middle of last December.

I play at least 20 out of 24 Lightning Rounds to 300. That nets me an average of 4,500iso/ LR for 90,000 iso/wk from LR as a minimum. There are weeks I play all of them
    I finish top 5 in three PvP per week in a t50 alliance where I sell the covers for 9,000iso/PvP for another 27,000iso/wk from PvP
    In a bad week I make 124,000iso/wk In a good week like when seasons end I've made 140,000iso.

There a few others I know who aggressively mine the LR's as I do. It is the key to my iso flow.

I buy a Stark Salary every two weeks that's the source of my HP. As Phantron correctly surmises there are moments when I will use an extra shield or two to insure t5 so indirectly some of the HP I buy is turned into iso.

How do you play 20/24 lightning rounds and still get enough sleep?
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options

Here is what I have been doing since about the middle of last December.

How do you play 20/24 lightning rounds and still get enough sleep?

Lr's start at Noon in my time zone. I play the Noon, 2PM, 4PM, 6PM, 8PM, 10PM, and Midnight rounds. sleep until 5:50AM and play all of them between 6AM until Midnight again. Then sleep and wake up again at 5:50AM and finish with the last three at 6AM, 8AM, and 10AM.
    Now I am restless sleeper and if I wake up while the 2AM or 4AM ones are running I have gone in and played one of those.
    The answer to your question is I usually get about 5hrs on the two nights that LR's are running.

• Lr's start at Noon in my time zone. I play the Noon, 2PM, 4PM, 6PM, 8PM, 10PM, and Midnight rounds. sleep until 5:50AM and play all of them between 6AM until Midnight again. Then sleep and wake up again at 5:50AM and finish with the last three at 6AM, 8AM, and 10AM.
    Now I am restless sleeper and if I wake up while the 2AM or 4AM ones are running I have gone in and played one of those.
    The answer to your question is I usually get about 5hrs on the two nights that LR's are running.

Okay, thanks for your response. I have follow-up questions but they're pretty personal and I doubt you want to answer them. Thanks for your time.
  • Okay, thanks for your response. I have follow-up questions but they're pretty personal and I doubt you want to answer them. Thanks for your time.

You're wondering how he eats and sleeps, and other science facts?
    Just think to yourself, "It's just a game." You should really just relax.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:

Yeah, I don't want to sound like I begrudge Colog or anyone else their fun. I really don't. Everyone chooses to play games however they want and it's fine. It was more that I'm just fascinated with how a self-described whale goes about the business of playing the game. It's an interesting comparison to everyone else.
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Okay, thanks for your response. I have follow-up questions but they're pretty personal and I doubt you want to answer them. Thanks for your time.

Well now I have to go home and watch MST3K. I'm thinking Laserblast... I love me some Laserblast.
  • I'm a F2P player here and at day 87. Thanks to this forum I was lucky enough to not make the mistakes that some of the vets had made during the beginning of the game and hence was able to save up both ISO and HP for what was really important. I currently have 6 level maxed 2*s and could have another 3 of them but I'm quite hesitant... I'm not sure whether I should be pumping more ISO in these 2* characters. I love seeing new characters to be honest because I feel like the game is developing. What I don't like are the following points:

A) Players are forced to picking up the new characters as they are ESSENTIALS to subsequent events (which in D3's case were the unlocking of newer characters) (basically becoming a never ending cycle)

B) The vaulting of old characters: I don't think it's fair to force someone to play with only a certain amount of characters IF they really want to play with someone else. For example, I currently have a BP that has 7 covers and for me is considered the one of the strongest on my roster. I WOULD LOVE to see him max covered cause I can only imagine the chaos it could create. Unfortunately, BP has been placed in the vault and will be out of the reward token cycle... This essentially means that my dreams of having a level maxed BP have gone down the drain for the foreseeable future. (And no, I don't plan on spending 1250HP per cover for BP)

The amount of time I spend on this game has turned my lifestyle to an unhealthy one. My sleep pattern has gone down the drain and my work does get affected. All of this would be worth it if at the end of the day the rewards I get are actually GOOD. Unfortunately, having a Gamora with 2 covers alongside Grocket at 3 and a Mystique at 4 isn't what I consider "Rewarding".

All of this being said, I could only imagine the frustration that the Vets are going through. Hopefully the devs do consider all of this and might actually find a way to make it interesting for all of us!

PS: Love the MPQ community *Sheds a Tear Drop*
  • Koko81 wrote:
    I'm a F2P player here and at day 87. Thanks to this forum I was lucky enough to not make the mistakes that some of the vets had made during the beginning of the game and hence was able to save up both ISO and HP for what was really important. I currently have 6 level maxed 2*s and could have another 3 of them but I'm quite hesitant... I'm not sure whether I should be pumping more ISO in these 2* characters. I love seeing new characters to be honest because I feel like the game is developing. What I don't like are the following points:

A) Players are forced to picking up the new characters as they are ESSENTIALS to subsequent events (which in D3's case were the unlocking of newer characters) (basically becoming a never ending cycle)

B) The vaulting of old characters: I don't think it's fair to force someone to play with only a certain amount of characters IF they really want to play with someone else. For example, I currently have a BP that has 7 covers and for me is considered the one of the strongest on my roster. I WOULD LOVE to see him max covered cause I can only imagine the chaos it could create. Unfortunately, BP has been placed in the vault and will be out of the reward token cycle... This essentially means that my dreams of having a level maxed BP have gone down the drain for the foreseeable future. (And no, I don't plan on spending 1250HP per cover for BP)

The amount of time I spend on this game has turned my lifestyle to an unhealthy one. My sleep pattern has gone down the drain and my work does get affected. All of this would be worth it if at the end of the day the rewards I get are actually GOOD. Unfortunately, having a Gamora with 2 covers alongside Grocket at 3 and a Mystique at 4 isn't what I consider "Rewarding".

All of this being said, I could only imagine the frustration that the Vets are going through. Hopefully the devs do consider all of this and might actually find a way to make it interesting for all of us!

PS: Love the MPQ community *Sheds a Tear Drop*

This, seriously...Devs really need to consider this.

As a new player we are forced to jump on the new char hamster wheel in order to advance, but this "advancement" is not advancement in that we are not catching up but merely being redirected to a different game all together. We get essentially 2-4 covers of the new chars depending if we belong to a good alliance as well, and barely any 3*** covers of established chars (BP, Laken, etc).

It was easy getting 7+ 94lvl chars. Snail crawl to even build 1 decent 3*** without buying covers. And the fact that it cost $100+ to max ONE char...We'll see how long new players stick around once they hit the 3*** wall...
  • sc0ville wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Well now I have to go home and watch MST3K. I'm thinking Laserblast... I love me some Laserblast.

Or Space Mutiny. Space Mutiny is my "go to" MST3K when introducing it to other people.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Or Space Mutiny. Space Mutiny is my "go to" MST3K when introducing it to other people.

My great uncle and two cousins (his children) all have roles in that movie.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    The devs should think about returning to the one new character every two weeks model which seemed to be working before the Anniversary ignited this flood of new characters.

Definitely! We will be returning immediately to the usual pace of one new character approximately every two weeks. After Gamora we are now back to the "normal" schedule. The extra characters added in recent weeks was really a perfect storm of our Anniversary week and the debut of Thor (Goddess of Thunder) on top of our usual schedule.

You'll see one more new character arriving a few weeks from now and that character will be the last one of the year. We didn't anticipate that some players would feel overwhelmed or experience "burn out" with the extra characters and we're sorry for that. We'll be factoring this knowledge into our scheduling as we move forward.

Before I went on a brief hiatus, I wrote you guys a support ticket regarding post-Anniversary burnout and that's exactly what happened to me.

I was somewhat regularly and HAPPILY buying HP for roster slots but because I am not very PvP competitive (this game is now almost wholly single player unfriendly now) I've been having to buy them even more often as I don't earn them from PvP and at my last purchase, I wasn't too happy. Though I appreciate new characters, not only was I having to open slots for the new characters but I was also having to open up slots for the Essential characters so I could get the new characters.

After Mystique, I couldn't summon up enough energy to even look at my game anymore which is a shame because I have a great collection of my favorite comic book friends waiting for me to choose them to go have some match-3 fun.

Though financially, it might be giving you guys a lot of revenue, this madness of releasing characters and the sky high price of roster slots is becoming really unbearable from the in-between casual and the "I spend thousands of dollars" player point of view.

No, you don't necessarily HAVE TO have all the new characters, but because released characters are oftentimes ESSENTIAL CHARACTERS for the next event, you kind of DO have to play "Keep up with the Jones," if you want to snag the ranking high enough to snag the cover/character you DO want.

Burned out,
    Me
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]We didn't anticipate that some players would feel overwhelmed or experience "burn out" with the extra characters and we're sorry for that. We'll be factoring this knowledge into our scheduling as we move forward.

Slightly delayed response, but... how? Seriously, how was that not factored in? It's things like this which concern me about whoever is 'making decisions' regarding this game. Because anyone who's played MPQ even semi-hardcore (as in, enough to get each new character as it comes out) would have an idea of how competitive it is to get them - particularly good ones, such as Lady Thor.

Hell, you should have the data alone that shows a spike in player activity for new characters - it's certainly noticeable on the player side of things, believe me.

This isn't meant to sound critical, I'm just seriously baffled as to how this sort of thing doesn't get considered. All I can surmise is that no one creating the game currently has a 2-3* transitioning team, in a T50-100 alliance (for instance - not discounting how tough it is at the top). It concerns me that the people making the decisions are completely out of touch with how the player base actually has to then deal with those decisions.
  • I appreciate the creativity put into the new characters (as opposed to the "lazy" ones). I really do. But all the new releases, especially coupled with the long PvE grinds without rubber band, really start to tire me out, and I'm an enthusiast where new characters are concerned. My Mystique is pretty incomplete, but I have kinda forgotten about her because then R&G arrived, and before I had broken them in properly Gamora turned up, so I barely got to experiment with them...
    I applaud the work that goes into them, and I loved the fact that there was an all-new PvE, but seriously, slow down!

And for the tiny feline's sake, stop holding endless PvEs back-to-back in the middle of a season already!!! icon_mad.gif
  • Yeah, I am on day 64 or so and I actually just quit the game. I was somewhat of a whale to start with and put over $150 in the game but I actually started JUST as the flood of new characters came rushing in. When I saw the latest PVE was nearly impossible for me by the end with Loki and Falcon wrecking my only levelled 3* (LCap), I just figured that was it.

All the new characters were bad enough and I was able to get a 4hor and all of the new characters (I have at least 1 of every 3 and 4* right now), I saw that they were rotating out characters I wanted, that most of the new characters weren't really that good and that I wasn't able to cover anyone fast enough to even compete well enough.

Then I see they released a NEW cover for Loki (gotta keep the hamster wheel going) before they released any character revisions to characters they are supposedly rotating out to work on. I mean, they did revise Daredevil but what, are you really gonna tell me they rotated out the other 9 or whatever to work on them? No. Don't think so. They just want to delay you from getting the covers for better characters as long as possible.

And now Elektra's on the way. After getting very few 3*s in my last 35 packs or so (and one dupe I couldn't even use which is hard for me cause I have less than 5 3*s with more than 4 covers) and really that's just it for me. Add to that that Dragon Age Inquisition is out, Marvel Contest of Champions just came out, Hearthstone has an expansion out, Minecraft developers just came out with Scrolls, and Civilization Beyond Earth is waiting for me to play and I'm just done with this game completely.

Said good bye to the good people in my alliance, left it and figured I'd make one last post. I guess maybe I joined the game at the EXACT wrong time but honestly, the way that compared to so many similar games, there's so little reward (i.e. 3*s are almost completely unplayable for so long) for so much time and potentially wasted money and I couldn't imagine ever starting a game like this again. Let alone this game.

What a shame, this game has so much potential.

Uninstalled.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    noone_ wrote:
    Then I see they released a NEW cover for Loki (gotta keep the hamster wheel going) before they released any character revisions to characters they are supposedly rotating out to work on. I mean, they did revise Daredevil but what, are you really gonna tell me they rotated out the other 9 or whatever to work on them? No. Don't think so. They just want to delay you from getting the covers for better characters as long as possible.
    Umm, Loki and Daredevil was among the first characters taken out of rotation, so they pretty much did exactly what they said they would - work on them while out of rotation. Work is done and they are back in rotation along with Patch, who apparently did not need any changes.
    Now we just need to wait for the rest of the first wave of vaulted characters (Doom, Ragnarok, Punisher, Human Torch) to come back before they can start on later waves.
    The constant addition of new characters does make this problem worse though as they always need to put more characters in the vault than they take out of it...
  • The devs can come up with an option like
    If we spend 50 hp we can get double iso for 3 days ... 100 hp for one week ..
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shadow wrote:
    Please D3, if you read this, do consider releasing 4* in pve as a replacement of one of the 3* instead of squeezing it in between. It really helps resolve multiple issues with just this being done.
    That's actually what they're doing with Elektra. I still don't think she should be 4*, personally.