7 New Characters in 56 days, 1.6M Iso

Options
Colognoisseur
Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I just took a look and figured out just how intense the last 56 days have been.
Since the release of Devil Dinosaur on Oct 10 through tonight's release of Gamora on December 5. It has been 56 days.
I usually keep track of how much iso I make in a week but with all of these new characters it just stopped being simple so I did a little math to figure out how much iso I've spent on these new characters.
The total for two 4*'s 4 3*'s and 1 2* is 1,621,460 iso. Once I max Gamora early tomorrow morning I will be as closed to tapped out on iso as I have been in over a year.
That's for me an avowed whale although I earn my iso by playing and pay for my hp.
No normal player could expect to keep up this pace of nearly one character/week.
The devs should think about returning to the one new character every two weeks model which seemed to be working before the Anniversary ignited this flood of new characters.
I worry that if it is on the edge of overwhelming me what effect it is having on the normal player. It could be "this is cool" or it could be "please no more I can't take it anymore."
I'd like to hear from whale and non-whale alike to see which way you fall.

Comments

• FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll assume normal implies average...I doubt an average player is all that concerned about the 1.6M Iso since they won't have anywhere close to the covers to spend that. The HP for slots is probably the average players concern.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think I fall into the normal player group. I have spent about $100 on the game in the last 6 months.

For me, this pace almost overwhelming. I'm barely keeping up with the HP needs since I usually throw up a few shields in PvP when it is a character I need.

As for ISO, my deficit is worse than the US government. I'm so far behind being able to fully level my roster of 47 (soon to be 48), hell even the ones that truly matter, that I expect to leave the game before that ever happens.

The pace is too much, too fast and too hard to get any Hero fully covered, much less levelled up into playable range.

Once every two weeks is the quickest they should ever release new characters.
  • Not a whale... not even close and 7 characters in 8 weeks is downright insane.

I remember IceIX changing a persons forum name from "D3isgreedy" to "Ihaveasnarkyname". Pretty spot on if ya ask me so I'll repeat it here

D3 is greedy
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Definitely a non-whale. I am mostly a F2P if I can help it, and have only paid for HP for some early roster spots. I do not feel that any mobile game is deserving of more than $15 in total, so I think I've put that much (or maybe a bit less) into it...

That said, I am a regular player, at roughly day 130... Given the above, I'm clearly in a 2-3* transition. My max is a 104 level LCap and a 102 level Psyloche.

I have found the recent releases greatly challenging, and while I enjoy seeing new characters in the game, I don't appreciate just how much I need to keep putting in (at least time wise) just to stay afloat in the current game. I definitely agree with those that say we need to go back to releasing characters less often. I also think we need to have many more events where there is a possibility of earning some of the older characters, which many of those in my situation desperately need.

While I enjoy this game, I have a life (read: job, child, other responsibilities) that takes priority. I understand the need to appeal to the hardcore gamers, but the truth is, without the casual gamers, this game, like any other before it, just becomes a niche interest. There have been many other games that used to be popular with the mobile device crowd, which having lost the casual gamers, have fallen into obscurity or have a small cult following status...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd be ok with the pace of the new characters if they also increased the ability to generate ISO proportionately. Doesn't make sense to increase one and not the other.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As someone fully in 3*-4* land, who's not a whale but has bought HP and spent some on covers in the past, the flood of new characters has resulted in me not really caring about fully covering any of them. I was interested and almost excited by Mystique... but then Rocket & Groot were released, and now Gamora, and Mystique is mostly forgotten, along with Blade and Doc Ock. I just don't really care about fully covering the new characters whereas before when it was more spaced out, I did. During the recent event rewarding Blade covers, I did need to get the top 5 cover. But I ended up in a death bracket and my reaction was to shrug my shoulders and let top 5 go because I'm so burnt out on new characters.

I'll admit, 4* Thor is the exception, but that's a little different because 1) she's a 4* and 2) during the Anniversary event I had a chance to try her out and get excited about her.
  • Just more characters to add to the pile of unused characters who are taking up slots for my roster and stealing the cover pulling chances of characters that I actually need.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been interested in this dynamic as well and began tracking my progress in terms of ISO completion % since the Mystique release. I'm interested to see how I'm doing with the addition of Gamora tonight. So far in limited tracking I'm keeping slightly above pace for 3* release and overall, but I wouldn't exactly call my playing habits normal or casual. That doesn't bode very well for a faster release schedule or if I decide to scale back the playing time a bit.

*Edit: I would say I'm non-whale, but not F2P ($40 spent). Day 281. I'm a collector (all characters accounted for - will have 59 slots tonight). Definitely on the more competitive/hardcore side of playing/time spent.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Way too many characters in too short a period of time. Non-whale, F2P.
  • noobprime
    Options
    As a non-whale-f2p who is transitioned (~6 166s?), the release rate hasn't affected me as long as I manage my expectations. To me that means accepting that I'm not going to have a usable *new* character for months. The pace of the game lets me make enough HP for the roster slots, and so I just put the new characters on the shelf and dust them off for use when they are essentials. If they seem 'useful' new characters, I'll dump iso in them as I get covers to make the essentials easier and fortunately the iso income has kept pace with that activity as well (also helps that I don't win too many new covers icon_lol.gif ).

That being said, just thinking about that iso number (>1M) is disheartening.
  • I'm caught in between. I'm not a complete whale, but I have spent an amount of money on this game that I could only admit to my least judgmental friends. And my wife, or she'd kill me. I could afford to buy one more character slot right now, having sold my star.pngstar.png Captain America to make way for Gamora. On the one hand, I'm excited about all new characters. I need them. I want them. I'd forego sleep for a Doctor Strange.

But there's also something to be said about taking a break. PVEs that give away characters I don't need give me the time to do something else. And, as people have said above, we really do need to catch up on the characters we've just earned. Deadpool, Colossus, Doctor Octopus, Rocket and Groot, and Mystique are all just sitting there in low level land. I don't include Blade in that list because we've all just been softballed a couple of his covers. I do include Deadpool because I've barely earned any of his, but that's just me.

I'd be okay with no new characters for a little while, even up to three weeks between.

I'd also be okay with trading in all my Beast and She-Hulk covers for a random selection of actual good characters.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Day 303 here. Spent $40 total on HP, never any on ISO.

I wouldn't mind the influx on new characters if they would increase the ISO flow a bit. I think the return of the ISO bonus for first completion of PvE nodes needs to happen. That would be a start. Eliminating the skip tax would help incredibly as well.

Also, <insert roster slot HP cost comment here>.
  • I'm far from a whale in this game. I've probably dropped $200-300 in the last 6 months (on HP only) that I've used for picking up some covers, buying slots, and shield hopping. I've never spent a dime on ISO, I'm on day 283, have about 14 166's and play quite a bit and can not even come close to keeping up with the covers and ISO required to level these guys. My hat is off to you Colog, I would love to be able to max my guys out when I got the covers too, but it's just not in the budget. I do appreciate that you do, and we can learn from you what builds are good and what works and what doesn't. But back to my point, I probably have 4-5 max covered 3* that I've never spent a drop of ISO on and a whole slew of others like Colossus, Beast, Mystique, Groot, etc. that have 3-5 covers and at this rate not only will it take a year to get them covered (based on rotation of 3*'s) but even longer to get the ISO to try and level up a few of them here and there.

Anyways, thank you to the whales like Colog that level up and max out the characters the day after they come out so we can see what they are like and if it's really even worth bothering to try and get there. I fall under the "It's getting really overwhelming, PLEASE STOP ADDING MORE COVERS EVERY WEEK"
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I only just started tracking my iso the last few days, and am still working out the best way to collect it so the data is raw and kinda incomplete as far as where it exactly is coming from. The only event I have tracked so far is this PvE, which I joined yesterday and thus far have accumulated 7950 iso, not counting what I've gotten from the associated tokens. Total I've been around 5k per day thus far, without much dedication to the game. That number should jump on Saturday because that's when I get a bulk session in. I'm guessing I pull about 50k a week when I'm really efforting everything, but won't know for sure for a while.

Regardless of the actual number, 1.6m just seems like a laughable concept.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-11445-1389732843-9.gif
    For the first time in a very long time im broke.. I ve more hp than isos and i cant max my thorina beyond the 50k that are left to me.. All the more that iso in LRs have been seriously toned down lately.. Its just not sustainable anymore..
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have 7 characters at 166 and another 14 3* cover maxed, and 6 3* with over 10 covers. I currently need $1,728,313 iso to soft cap all my 3* and 4* characters. I am going to be dumping 1* storm for Gamora not becuase I don't have the HP but becuase I want to try and buy a green X-Force since Sentry has gotten nerfed I have failed to hit 1300 on the 2 events he was the 1300 progression. partialy due to time slices and partial due to the fact I was not able to truly make hops durring work. As I asked in the Q and A and recomended D3 needs to do 1-3 things if they want to keep releasing characters this fast.
    1) lower or fix the cost of roster slots 500-600 max for roster slots
    2) increase the drop rate of Iso by 75-100%
    3) increase the amount of HP that can be won in PVP and PVE. Add an extra 50 HP to indivudual placement and alliances rewards.
  • Well, several things here :

- wouldn't mind for more characters if getting covers through PvE was more fun and less repetitive. This afternoon, while I was clearing the same nodes for the Xth time in 8 days, I was thinking : wow, this is so much...

- wouldn't mind if resources were easier to get,

- I did not expect Thoress to be fully released so early, so I fell short on Iso, and I had to buy Iso for the first time since June. I had maxed a duplicate character some days ago, so I could not save enough Iso. I maxed her because she might be useful (she's been, but not the way I was expecting her to be). I will be short on Iso when I can max Gamora after the PvP.

- too many characters are useless/not efficient enough, so the effort/resources spent in them is too much compared to the use we can make of them.

I just hope I can have a rest as I am really tired and have a persistent headache.

I also hope the new game format will bring fun to the game, and maybe we'll get the new characters this way.

I'd like less routine also : Pve, PvP, PvE, PvP to get 10 covers.
  • I remember a past post by colognoisseur where he described what he did as far as leveling characters instantly and why he did it. And how to him that was the fun of the game. It seems that there were some who scoffed at his expenditures, but I am now coming to realize something.

Whales get to have fun with the game. Casuals who just play a few matches a day are also probably having fun. Those who try to compete F2P or even on a budget are caught up in some crazy tidal wave where they cannot relax, cannot let up, and are still not getting the rewards they are working so hard for.

For a long time I was on the fence about whether the game was P2W or not. It sure seemed like there were tons of successful free to play players around. With the current pace of things I fear only the whales can keep up with the curve and there is almost no chances for a normal player to catch a break.

I fear it is time I tell myself it is time to stop trying to keep up. I will never have a usable 4thor as much as I would love playing the game with her. I dropped 2k+ HP boosting and shield hopping to keep myself in first for 2 days trying to secure a Thoress blue only to have someone with a crazy roster stroll past me in the last 12 hours and there was literally nothing I could do to keep up. I told myself to shake off my defeat, and will work on getting a progression at 1300 in the next one. Should be lots of points earned and as new as thoress is there shouldn't be ~too~many high level ones to contend with, right? Wrong even at less than 600 being hit by many 405 Thors and my lousy 3 cover version has absolutely no way to fight that. As much as I would love to get in there and hop to 1300 for a cover I can barely win at all.

Sorry that was longer than I intended it to be.
    Short version is, D3's transition to P2W is nearly complete, and I am tempted to get off this ride which is getting less fun all the time.
    /endrant
  • I just kinda gave up on leveling new characters. If I get a cover from PvE, cool. Maybe I get one from PvP later. That is also cool. Do I have roster space? Hmm, better sell that 1* staring at me there. Don't wanna miss essential character next PvE. Don't wanna sell any other character? Well, then I'm missing the essential for the next PvE. That is cool as well. I just don't care enough about new characters because look how long I have been playing and I only cover maxed 1 3* and that needs respeccing but he is "vaulted" LOL. Tinykitties.

• Whales get to have fun with the game.

We're all in the same boat, don't worry...