Meet Rocket & Groot- Nov 26-Dec 1

Options

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    denouement wrote:
    The nodes in this sub are ridiculous after the first few. The feeding is so bad that if you don't have a killer combo set up by turn 3 or 4, you are meat. Maybe the 3* players have a way to counter this but the only way I can come up with a win is to bomb the **** out of them with the 3-man death squad. When you break that up by inserting a broke-leg, unleveled Groot they become nigh impossible.

Wishing I had leveled 2* Cap Marvel now.

Same problem I have, Mystique can demolish my Hulk despite being 40 levels lower. Another event where the devs are too dumb/lazy to come up with mechanically interesting encounters and just use goons to force-feed a character enough AP to overcome the AI's inability to set up their own combos. Maybe one day they'll hire someone interested in making game that is actually enjoyable to play and not a grind you pay money to skip.
    The point of the goons is to force feed the AI it's colors. If they make the AI really smart it would kill everyone in PVE and PVP. they make goons for PVE so they don't tinykitty up the AI in PVP. If they just increased the levels of characters it would easily be 295+ again where you could just loose to match damage. By feeding AP the devs can keep levels lower and still have players fail. It is not ideal but I would rather face goons at 150 than matching AI at 295
    The scaling reset this sub, but yeah, it's been going above 295 fOr months now... Hell, it usually starts well over 150
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone know what the current score is for the alliance in 50th?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    ....I *like* Hawaiian pizza. Actually, pineapple can go on practically any pizza and make it better!
    Sick, dude.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not quite, but #47 is 1,483,967.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    In this last sub is anyone else in a bracket from hell? My first 2 clears I couldn't break into the top 100 and after my last 2, I just got to 99. I'm 9k behind the leader. For comparison's sake, in the first sub, I was top 5 in the second I was top 2 so it's not like I'm doing anything differently...
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    altlover85 wrote:
    Puce, if you have OBW, I'd sub her out for Hood, so you can get the double damage on Espionage. You need fast damage to beat Doom. If you are going to use MHawkeye, you need someone that can create crits like Hulk, GSBW or MNMags, otherwise he's too slow.

Yep, I think that's a good plan - I think I'll try Punisher, Psylocke, OBW with some AP boosts on my next attempt - all fast damage dealers and may just be enough to get the board flooded with attack/strike tiles before Doom does his thing. Not a lot of health in that team composition though, so I might try swapping in my level 118 5/3/5 HULK for Psylocke or Punisher once he returns from Team-Up Alliance duty if the initial team fails. I thought Falcon would be helpful but he couldn't deal with the special tile flood fast enough with his redwing. Nevertheless, if that team fails to do the deed I'll probably try Punisher/Psylocke/Falcon and hope for a good board.
  • This is the worst competitive Event I have ever participated in. What kind of competition is "Whoever can play every 2.5 hours (even during the NIGHT!) wins".
    That's absolutely not healthy for a person and it's messed up that you are promoting this kind of game style. Thats how you sour a pretty cool new Story Event. I'm not saying you need longer refresh times but this garbage right now doesn't work for 99%+ of the player base. Hooray to the 10/1000 aka the top 1% who have no job and/or other responsibilities.

That is all.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    woopie wrote:
    In this last sub is anyone else in a bracket from hell? My first 2 clears I couldn't break into the top 100 and after my last 2, I just got to 99. I'm 9k behind the leader. For comparison's sake, in the first sub, I was top 5 in the second I was top 2 so it's not like I'm doing anything differently...

Sounds like you're doing much better than I have been per sub.
    Only managed top 50 for the last 2 subs but this one I'm in the mid-100s as I joined an hour after the sub opened today.
    Each time I clear the nodes that I can without crippling myself for the next run (i.e. skipping the last 2 nodes) I get into the 110-100 and then promptly fall back while waiting for the refresh.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PPPlaya wrote:
    This is the worst competitive Event I have ever participated in. What kind of competition is "Whoever can play every 2.5 hours (even during the NIGHT!) wins".
    That's absolutely not healthy for a person and it's messed up that you are promoting this kind of game style. Thats how you sour a pretty cool new Story Event. I'm not saying you need longer refresh times but this garbage right now doesn't work for 99%+ of the player base. Hooray to the 10/1000 aka the top 1% who have no job and/or other responsibilities.

That is all.

Chalk it up the rewards being offered as the top alliances are all in the PvE this time around.
    I essentially lost a combined full day due to work and then a severe migraine which kept me from playing.
    I had been able to get into the top 50 to even top 10 the last few PvE but this time I'm having a hard time even reaching top 50.

Have to agree that this constant grind is getting old very quickly despite this being a brand new PvE..which we will see again next week when they release Gamora icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not community scaling that does it. The game sets a personal scaling based on your the highest level character on your roster, and I have 1 level 166 guy. So it assumes all my matches need to be as challenging as possible, even though I only have one person capable of hanging in there. It's basically the dev's of way of giving you the middle finger for having the audacity to not play the game the "correct" way and spend ISO on all your characters equally. But yes, you are correct that community scaling exasperates the problem, and means the only way I can advance is by grinding up before scaling kicks in. It's a load of tinykitty that I'm saddled with for no valid reason and completely helpless against. Basically, the worst feeling a video game can convey.

No, it's community and personal scaling from previous events.

I have 4 level 166 guys and if I join a sub at the start everything starts out reasonable (Sub 150 normally). The hardest nodes scale to 200+ at which point I stop playing them. Even if I could beat them with boosts, that just means that my personal scaling will bite me in the **** next sub/event. If I join a sub late they may already be 200+ in which case I try to clear them once and leave them alone.

Your problem is that you grind too much which pushes your personal scaling too high, and then community scaling arrives and kicks your **** because it multiplies your personal scaling. Slowing down and collecting higher point nodes is a better strategy than grinding, especially early grinding where you don't get a rubberband bonus.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options

1536590 at the moment.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    It's not community scaling that does it. The game sets a personal scaling based on your the highest level character on your roster, and I have 1 level 166 guy. So it assumes all my matches need to be as challenging as possible, even though I only have one person capable of hanging in there. It's basically the dev's of way of giving you the middle finger for having the audacity to not play the game the "correct" way and spend ISO on all your characters equally. But yes, you are correct that community scaling exasperates the problem, and means the only way I can advance is by grinding up before scaling kicks in. It's a load of tinykitty that I'm saddled with for no valid reason and completely helpless against. Basically, the worst feeling a video game can convey.

No, it's community and personal scaling from previous events.

I have 4 level 166 guys and if I join a sub at the start everything starts out reasonable (Sub 150 normally). The hardest nodes scale to 200+ at which point I stop playing them. Even if I could beat them with boosts, that just means that my personal scaling will bite me in the **** next sub/event. If I join a sub late they may already be 200+ in which case I try to clear them once and leave them alone.

Your problem is that you grind too much which pushes your personal scaling too high, and then community scaling arrives and kicks your **** because it multiplies your personal scaling. Slowing down and collecting higher point nodes is a better strategy than grinding, especially early grinding where you don't get a rubberband bonus.

This is great advice if you have the leeway to pick and choose your nodes. But for people like me, there's no choice but to grind the lower point nodes. The essential nodes are off-limits to me, and the higher point nodes are impossible. My only chance of getting something worthwhile is maybe getting the progression award, which requires grinding up the nodes. If there were some way around that, I'd love to take it, but there isn't. There's just more scaling and less rewards.
  • Not counting events that have very different scaling compared to normal (Unstable Isotope or Simulator Basic) your scaling is mostly static assuming you play in a roughly similar manner. There's a significant weight for doing well in previous PvE events. The game roughly takes the higher of your personal and community scaling and unless you're on the extreme end for personal scaling your scaling is going to be pretty close to the community scaling. Don't confuse this with the fact that what the game considers as 'fair' scaling for a 2* roster versus a max one might not have any semblance to reality. From my experience the scaling doesn't go up much until very close to the event, whether because it's some innate parameter or that's just when everyone else starts playing more too is unclear.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double post
  • wymtime wrote:
    The point of the goons is to force feed the AI it's colors. If they make the AI really smart it would kill everyone in PVE and PVP. they make goons for PVE so they don't tinykitty up the AI in PVP. If they just increased the levels of characters it would easily be 295+ again where you could just loose to match damage. By feeding AP the devs can keep levels lower and still have players fail. It is not ideal but I would rather face goons at 150 than matching AI at 295

I'm fine with the goon-feed in theory, but there has to be a balance because the impact of feeding becomes disproportionately larger as the node scales.

If Mystique can fire off a Masterstroke every third or fourth turn that takes 40-50% of my health, then that's fairly challenging. I have to come up with a strategy to deal with that. As the node scales, it quickly becomes a one-shot that can happen every other turn... which is less of a challenge and more something that I have to use AP boosts to bomb into oblivion. Which is a strategy I guess, but that strategy is, essentially, "throw money at the problem."
  • Spoit
    Options
    denouement wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

I'm fine with the goon-feed in theory, but there has to be a balance because the impact of feeding becomes disproportionately larger as the node scales.

If Mystique can fire off a Masterstroke every third or fourth turn that takes 40-50% of my health, then that's fairly challenging. I have to come up with a strategy to deal with that. As the node scales, it quickly becomes a one-shot that can happen every other turn... which is less of a challenge and more something that I have to use AP boosts to bomb into oblivion. Which is a strategy I guess, but that strategy is, essentially, "throw money at the problem."
    At least masterstroke is half the damage of TP, and it isn't feeding 4 of that color (+steal) a turn
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    PPPlaya wrote:
    This is the worst competitive Event I have ever participated in. What kind of competition is "Whoever can play every 2.5 hours (even during the NIGHT!) wins".

That is all.

naw i have a job and other responsibilities - but it's madness at this point and i'm pretty much close to just giving up. there was surely a way to make this pve fun, but this wasn't it. why did they think this was remotely a good idea?
  • Puce Moose wrote:
    Does anyone have any pointers on the final node in the current sub-tournament? I keep wiping out, getting angrier and drunker, and that's a bad combination while holding an expensive device.
    Just for giggles here's a screenshot I took of the latest attempt:

6k7qwzk.jpg

I would be dead long before that number of attack tiles where up. Thats 15x351 at my current levels.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Sumilea wrote:
    Puce Moose wrote:
    Does anyone have any pointers on the final node in the current sub-tournament? I keep wiping out, getting angrier and drunker, and that's a bad combination while holding an expensive device.
    Just for giggles here's a screenshot I took of the latest attempt:

I would be dead long before that number of attack tiles where up. Thats 15x351 at my current levels.
    And that's why I'm raging so hard at this 2* trying to pace me for #1
  • It's 4 in the morning and I'm still grinding these stupid nodes every 2.5 hours and I just threw my tablet into the wall because of the **** AP feeders on the Doom node (including the one who shouldn't even be generating black, but stealthily is doing so in this node so that Doom can use it... I bet some dev got a hard-on at *that* idea). I hate everything this game turns my life into. And I'm going to be stuck doing the same damn thing tomorrow for anything useful. I hate this game so much, it could be so great and fun. I love Marvel, and I love Puzzle Quest. But instead it's nothing but pounding my head against the wall. I wish there were some way for me to win anything that didn't involve destroying my life over a damn game. I wish I could play when I want to. I wish there was a real story mode, the best times I had with this game were the prologue and nothing's been as fun since then. I hoped there would be actual chapters that could be played for decent rewards but it's just this mindless event hamster wheel. I hate it and I hate myself because I keep going back to it. Every time I think "maybe they'll have figured it out; maybe scaling and MMR will be fixed; maybe I can play for 30 minutes and achieve something" and absolutely none of it ever comes true. I just don't know if I'll ever be happy playing this game again. I'm sorry I keep **** up your thread with my whining, but I want this to be a great game and I hope that someone realizes there fundamental problems that keep holding it back. I'm sure you guys are trying to be nice by offering advice about the way it's "supposed" to work, but what works for you just doesn't work for someone who can't be attached to their phone every 2.5 hours, or have every character open to them. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to understand all the unwritten meta-gaming that the devs expect from us. I don't know any more.

Again, sorry for everything guys.