Meet Rocket & Groot- Nov 26-Dec 1

Options

Comments

• TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    48th. I knew after the first sub that I wouldn't be able to break into the Top 10 so I just kept pace to hold onto a Top 50 place.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Congrats sea_song - I tried to keep up but I was destined for 2nd...
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    So much for scaling actually hitting 2* people. Multiple people in my alliance have brackets that were won by people who have barely even started the 2->3* transition

Only two 2* rosters in my T20, myself at 16th and another guy at 20th. 18 out of the T20 are an assortment of 166-270.

As for scaling, at the end of the second sub my last node was at level 338. Level 94 facing level 338, go figure how that should translate for a 3*.
  • Spoit wrote:
    So much for scaling actually hitting 2* people. Multiple people in my alliance have brackets that were won by people who have barely even started the 2->3* transition

Only two 2* rosters in my T20, myself at 16th and another guy at 20th. 18 out of the T20 are an assortment of 166-270.

As for scaling, at the end of the second sub my last node was at level 338. Level 94 facing level 338, go figure how that should translate for a 3*.

Goon only nodes have exceptionally high base levels because they could be level 999 and Captain America + Falcon would probably be able to beat all of them just fine.
  • bat_239
    Options
    Managed to hit top10, but that was REALLY challenging. Screwed up the first sub (finished #68) so had to do the full clears every 2.5hrs. IMO - the most competitive pve ever. Had to even spend 300hp on healthpacks - for the first time! Not that I'm doing such race anytime soon! icon_e_smile.gif

In terms of feedback:
    - I do not quite remember the first sub
    - the second sub was too easy -> my goons scaled up to 390+ lvl, it was taking too much time just to kill 'em -> booooring
    - the third sub was ok in terms of enemy levels, but it hardly welcomed any rosted diversity. laken+falcon+ (anyone else, eg psy) for the fastest clearing of easy nodes, xforce+cmags+hood for the hard nodes and patch+hulk for essentials
  • pmorcs wrote:
    Preppin' for downvotes, but:

I came in third (almost second!) in my bracket, which I started within 10 minutes of the event beginning, w/163.6k. Did the holidays thing, slept soundly every night, went to see Big Hero 6 with my kids, took the dogs out to poop, exchanged some defective shoes, played WoW and also went out Friday and ground out level 8 in Ingress, etc.. I did get up this morning at 6 to get an early refresh in, but went back to bed. Seems to me the complaints are maybe a little overboard.

Granted, I didn't have to work over the holidays. That would suck, sorry for those of you that did. Overall I found it pretty exciting, and rewarding of discipline and planning.

The same people that are complaining are the same ones that'll get Thor in PVP quite easily.

Not to mention this PVE was a walk in the park unless the only reason you were doing it was 4*Thor.
  • Putting a commiserations shout out to AlexBatman of Deadpool's Taco's. I noticed he was in the frame for top 10 until the final half day then fell back a bit and, well, it's tricky to recover from there and finished 11th.

Grats though to Sumilea of SHIELD who won my bracket fairly comfortably in the end.

That was painful though. Went to bed at 1.30am after my final 'normal' clear and then a spot of PvP, then up at 3am to grind non-stop until the 5am finish to secure top 10, then a mix of adrenaline and PvP finish time (6am... because I thought it was the one the big scorers would pick - nope), then my son getting up at 6:30am... means I'm in my office after a grand total 1.5hrs sleep at best. Whoop!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Putting a commiserations shout out to AlexBatman of Deadpool's Taco's. I noticed he was in the frame for top 10 until the final half day then fell back a bit and, well, it's tricky to recover from there and finished 11th.

Grats though to Sumilea of SHIELD who won my bracket fairly comfortably in the end.

That was painful though. Went to bed at 1.30am after my final 'normal' clear and then a spot of PvP, then up at 3am to grind non-stop until the 5am finish to secure top 10, then a mix of adrenaline and PvP finish time (6am... because I thought it was the one the big scorers would pick - nope), then my son getting up at 6:30am... means I'm in my office after a grand total 1.5hrs sleep at best. Whoop!
    You're even crazier than me.
    I got up at 4:30 CET for the final 90 minutes, but in retrospect could have stayed in bed - I finished 11th. Well, someone has to, I guess.

• Grats though to Sumilea of SHIELD who won my bracket fairly comfortably in the end.

I did it slightly differently cleared at 10 had a 110 minute nap until 1:30 did a quick clear another 110 minute nap until 3:30 then started final clears. I guess this is what my parents went through when I was a baby all those years ago. However I am not going to be doing another event like that. I will be back on my old and trusted rubber banding lark for the next run through this event and it will be interesting to see how my subs scores change. (I might well only play the last sub also as the second one finishes during office hours so no way I can find 90 minutes to grind the nodes at that time)

I am fairly sure Arktos handed me first spot as they slowly dropped back about 300 points a refresh over the last sub. If they had been only a few hundred points behind me going into the last 8 hours like at the end of the second sub I have played differently at the end and flopped into the top 5 as there no way I can beat the clearing potential of that monster of a roster.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    You're even crazier than me.
    I got up at 4:30 CET for the final 90 minutes, but in retrospect could have stayed in bed - I finished 11th. Well, someone has to, I guess.
    I was rooting for you. Sorry you didn't make it. There were 11 of us going for top 10 and being a mostly sane European definitely put you at a disadvantage.
  • Sumilea wrote:
    I am fairly sure Arktos handed me first spot as they slowly dropped back about 300 points a refresh over the last sub. If they had been only a few hundred points behind me going into the last 8 hours like at the end of the second sub I have played differently at the end and flopped into the top 5 as there no way I can beat the clearing potential of that monster of a roster.

Yeah, but roster size is irrelevant compared to optimal node clearing technique isn't it? I probably used 7 or 8 characters in total during my final 2hr grind and the only thing a bigger roster gets you is a couple of saved heathpacks. I didn't touch most of my 3* roster or my Nick Fury because they were sub optimal.

Funny thing is that I was 7th after the 2nd sub and pretty much ended up there. In this sub-based ending format it does strike me that it's very hard to overtake anyone as we're all getting the same node values. With diminishing returns even if I'd done 2 more clears at the end I'd have earned less than 2k points due to even the trickiest nodes going down to 100ish points.
  • One day we'll get a PVE where we, the players, will face tough AI opponents and earn appropriate rewards based on skill and roster strength. Instead we get a slogfest where we, the players, face other players, in a test of endurance and allowable time.

The gauntlet was promising but with this last RR/Groot it just shows me that Dem/D3 has learned nothing.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:
    One day we'll get a PVE where we, the players, will face tough AI opponents and earn appropriate rewards based on skill and roster strength. Instead we get a slogfest where we, the players, face other players, in a test of endurance and allowable time.

Its not an easy thing thought pitching the level of the nodes against the strength of someone roster. Say one person has a hard counter to the enemy team and the other has no coherent team at all how are you going to see the enemy level so they have approximately the same challenge? (as D3 seem to want everyone on an equal footing roster strength wise)
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Good luck to the holiday grinders!

I'll be playing enough for my alliance to get top 50 and me hitting final progression reward. I can get that blue cover at the end of the season to have at least one of each 4* Thor cover!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

And I'm a bit of a liar...

Came home earlier than expected from our Thanksgiving plans because my youngest hit the wall and needed to be put to bed. So I had time to push hard on that first sub near the end. I guess hood discouraged others in my bracket more than me because I finished in the top 10 and was able to hold that fairly easily the rest of the way.
  • Final bracket never filled, I wagered it all on a last day entry and got nothin'. Quel dommage!
  • One day we'll get a PVE where we, the players, will face tough AI opponents and earn appropriate rewards based on skill and roster strength. Instead we get a slogfest where we, the players, face other players, in a test of endurance and allowable time.

The gauntlet was promising but with this last RR/Groot it just shows me that Dem/D3 has learned nothing.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fievel wrote:
    Woo! Ended up getting t50.

T10 in my bracket was dominated by big time players. No transitions as far as I could see. Lots of 166+ rosters and members of S.H.I.E.L.D., Immortal Rage, Dormammu U, etc. I didn't really have a chance at T10. I'm just glad I managed to get the one cover while also keeping my sanity and personal life intact.

I really don't see the point in grinding every 2.5 hours for a cover that I won't end up using for months - I hit the essentials, some of the hards, and the trivial nodes every 2.5 hours or so when I could on Wednesday, Thursday (I did nothing for Thanksgiving this year other than cooking a fine dinner for me and my wife,) on Friday I spent most of the day cooking and hanging out with friends for a local Thanksgiving, but still got a few clears in. Likewise on Saturday running errands and Sunday. Made 31 - one Thor cover, good enough for me. I'll do the same for Gamora and hopefully get one or two covers - I don't need to bust my butt for three.

All in all it's not a bad event - I'd be happier if the villians in the first Sub weren't Hood and Juggs (we've gotten far too much of Juggs.) They missed an opportunity with Dock Ock, I think. I'd also have been happier if they introduced new mooks - having the "Flora Colossus" as a new goon in the last few nodes would have been neat - as opposed to just an Empiracist who somehow feeds black. Heck, they could have just re-skinned the Empiracist and given him slightly different powers, that would have been classy. Ah well.

The dialogue was good. The crack about Grootants and Hawaiin pizza made me laugh out loud. I also think they shouldn't repeat it so quickly, but they said "on the heels" so it's going to be noon today or tomorrow, maybe Wednesday on the outside.
  • rawl316
    rawl316 Posts: 114
    Options
    I finished first in mine by 11k. Ended up with around 183k I think. I was so ocd about this. I passed out worry free as soon as it was over.

That said, I did everything I wanted to. I also did not have to work. I went bowling, had dinner with family every night, played basketball, and watched football. And I slept 7 hours a night, I just hit the nodes 3 times before I went to bed.
  • The lesson I am taking away from this event: don't start a PVE event on the first day, or possibly even skip the first sub-event entirely. That way, I will hopefully end up in an easier bracket that will require less grinding to get a decent placement reward AND get all the placement rewards.

The only reason I started early was my fear of losing the 50k progression R&G reward, but that fear proved unfounded as I ended up with a total score of more than 120k, although it took a bit of grinding. The increasing amount of points available per sub-event favors late starters.

I am also content with my top 50 placement and single 4Thor (+1 from the alliance), getting more covers would need too much grinding for my tastes.

Overall, I enjoyed this event. Got some ISO and HP, 2 covers for 4Thor and one for R&G plus we got some new story.