Operation Pay Harder: A Debrief

Options

Comments

• Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    It's kind of a moot point since even before the end time thing d3p was "gently nudging" players so "don't give developing players a handicap" was never an option on the table...
    You want a gentle nudge? I joined this bracket at 78th place at 1. It's now 8:20 and it's only at 307 people. I joined at that time every other week and it was full in well under an how. Gently nudge this sharding. (there are already 5 RO/x-men/AoS people in the top 10, and that's well before most people even start to climb)
    3 hours later, and it's added all of...3 people. I don't think think this nudging could be any more gentle

Just confirming what spoit is reporting here. i joined PVP 18+ hours AFTER 2 of my alliance mates did...same time slot. Somehiw, i am in the same bracket as them

Hey Devs...will u please comment on this? Your userbase is asking questions and beside some 3 line patch note, u have been silent for days.

im honestly getting sick of this ****.

marc
  • I didn't say anybody got screwed by the experiment (except for the poor saps who joined your time slice and got thrown from any hopes of t100 placement prizes because they weren't able to hit the 1300 minimum). I said that it wasn't a very good protest because the end result actually overshadowed the message. I still don't quite see the connection between the point you were trying to make and the experiment. If you were trying to say that if all the major players were in one time slice, then all the scores in other slices would be lowered, then congratulations, because you just proved that you can make a lot of people happy by segregating yourselves. If you were trying to say that if all the major players were in one time slice it would create a mass of death brackets, shooting individual and alliance scores to insane heights, then congratulations, because you made only a mild dent in world of alliances, and everyone in alliances that don't normally make the top 100 anyway (who far outnumber you) didn't even look up from their morning toast and OJ.

If you guys wanted to do this more often, then I would be pleased as punch, as long as I knew which slice you were planning on doing it in so I can be one of the lucky many to be in a different one. I ended up making the top 50 with just over 700 and narrowly missed top 25 by 14 points.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Perhaps some of the transitioning players here should consider how stacked against top players the game has been progressively getting. How many of you are facing level 395 Hood/Mags in the final node of Thick as Thieves? When I was a transitioning player, I routinely hit top-5 in PVE. Now, I'm lucky to get top-50 because scaling is so heavily stacked against high-level rosters.

Let me help ground you back in reality; I'm a transitioning player with a few incomplete lop-sided badly synergized 3*s stuck at a suboptimal lvl 110 - 120 range. My PVE nodes generally scale out to 250~300 at the end of an event as well.
    Moreover, at these high differences between your own level and the opponent level, it's no longer the raw power but the depth of roster and thus the ability to formulate effective strategies and counter-strategies that really matter. So actually, a veteran with a broad well-developed and well-balanced 3* roster probably has better odds of beating that 395 team than I have at beating the 280 one.
    That means the way I can get the remaining covers unavailable in PVE is through PVP. Yet the changes the Devs have implemented are now making it harder to get those covers. Right now, I'm seeing max-level teams in PVP at 350 and am in a super-death bracket in shard 4.
    Welcome to the normal experience of the transitioning player hitting the 166 wall. Thank your lucky stars you atleast have a roster of comparable strength and can still advance. When transitioning players reach the 166 wall their little jaunt towards the top is over and they can resign to being stuck at that glass ceiling.
    I don't disagree that there are issues that transitioning players face today that we didn't face. But basically making it so transitioning players get an easy route to top-10 rewards while vets have to slog through ever harder brackets for increasingly lesser rewards is not the solution.
    The only thing this is doing is reducing the overall high scores in the non-US slices, so that transitioning players have a better shot at hitting top 100 before the 166 wall comes into effect. The 166 wall's glass ceiling is basically 'hard route' and this change is giving us a 'normal route'. There's nothing 'easy route' about it. We're still fighting our peers, we're just no longer being stonewalled when we reach a certain point progression.

As for slogging through ever harder brackets for increasingly lesser rewards: that's too bad, but RPGs are very big on diminishing returns and that's no different here. Maybe you'd rather have the average transitioning player's experience? The one from before time slicing? You know; the one where you're being scaled out of competing in PvE, being stonewalled from top 100 by 166s in PvP, and where you only have only a snowball's chance in hell of getting any worthwhile reward from either.
  • I enjoy reading this, but i have unanswered questions:
    1. Can someone from OPH/X-Men crew, humbly share us how much $$$ spent for HP (in average) to get 2200 for instance?
    2. And how many shieldhop needed (in average) to get there?
  • tobi69 wrote:
    I enjoy reading this, but i have unanswered questions:
    1. Can someone from OPH/X-Men crew, humbly share us how much $$$ spent for HP (in average) to get 2200 for instance?

Tobi. I didnt track exactly what i spent, but 1750-2000HP is a fair estimate. That figure includes boosts, health packs, and shields. i scored 2200 points exactly. in terms of how m any hops, its difficult to say. i can tell u that i started my climb from 500 points @ around 4 PM on sunday and i dropped my first shield @ a shade under 1400 points. from there, i did 3 fight shield hops until about 1800 points. i did 2 fight hops maybe until 2000 and from there out, it was 1 fight hops until 2200 points. Once again these are estimates, but its pretty accurate.

hope this info helps.

marc
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tobi69 wrote:
    Exactly. That's what all these people are missing trying to compare tiny kitty brackets to death brackets where top 10 is 2k.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    one simple fix is to not allow changes to alliances at certain times. Once a PvP starts I would suggest a 24 hour window to adjust alliance lineups and then you are locked in. Being able to jump back and forth here and there, this has to stop, it's why they don't allow it in any major sport, it's called the trade deadline, you implement this and it instantly stops the manipulation. Then you can start working on sharding and MMR.

Thank you for proposing a sensible solution rather than simply bashing others.
    I don't disagree with the time slot idea, simply the way it was implemented. I think your idea would be acceptable to a larger group of people than many of the others that have been submitted.
    Not sure this helps at all. The problem isnt alliance swap, but the inability to choose the most convenient end time if you are aiming at high scores and the easier times the other shards have.

IMO its totally unimportant if you can swap members to win in the last minute if those people cant reach high scores just because they choose the "wrong" shard.

Alliance prizes are important? Yes, but the top spots from alliance rank dont give anyting better than player ranks AND progressive rewards together, specially now that the alliance cover is the same as top 100 player ranks.

Ok, you get 150HP more than the previous 8 spots, but its the very same cover from #1 to #100, and the same amount of ISO from #1 to #10. Meanwhile, player rank gives more covers (and better ones above #25).

And also the problem with you still having to choose a bad end time (depending on location) to have a chance to get the progressive rewards AND enough points to alliance ranks. You end up with your hands tied just like it was before.

(I know this post is from many pages back but it was the first unread for me, sorry about that)
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tobi69 wrote:
    I scored 2151 and spent 2725HP doing so. To be fair though, I was also hitting PVE every refresh as well as hopping in PVP so My HP expenditure was a bit higher for health packs. Also, I waited until late to climb so while I had some nice high point targets, I also got hit A LOT on my way up so I had to do more matches to get there.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm actually a little bit confused as to how this is a bad thing, so to speak. Here's why;

As far as I can see it, the way things are now, all the big Alliances are going to start picking the same one or two shards, and those shards are going to be the high points ones (also known as "death brackets"). They're going to join these because the Season Rewards are important to Alliances.

This leaves the other two or three shards as pretty low ball play, honestly, with most brackets probably topping out at 500 or 600. The argument that these brackets let people get things the other brackets have to "fight hard for" at a much lower investment of effort are slightly incorrect.

Let me use a little personal experience/bias here, as anecdotal evidence. I personally, generally, only join into events at the end of them in hopes of falling into a low tier bracket. Where I am, I cannot get past that wonderful wall of 166s, so it's this or net nothing. For me, if I join an event at a normal time, I can hit 400-500 range relatively easily, even though it's a massive time sink, but then I just get knocked down to 200 before the day is out. To further exacerbate the issue, doing this sticks me in brackets with most of the people climbing to 700 to shield, a mark I could only dream of hitting myself, let alone whatever they hop to later down the road. So I'm getting double screwed here, because I lose all my progression and the gap between me and the top practically doubled. I almost always end up with ISO. On the other hand, I can join a bracket late, grind to 300-400 points and snag a single cover if I'm lucky (disclosure: I have gotten two covers twice).

You know what really sucks about having to do this though? I don't get barely any ISO income. I work most of the week, so I can't grind Lightning Rounds. PvE is usually a scaling nightmare, so I have to join those late too. Whenever I get a cover, I practically have to pull teeth to actually level it. Now, maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to play an entire event without having to work about being scaled out or there being a huge gap between me and #75.

I'm sorry it's apparently harder for you guys at the top, but I have a hard time feeling bad for the guys that have enough spare HP to though thousands of it away to try and prove a point over an in beta game improvement. They cannot stop seasons. They cannot. I would bet my house that's where 99% of their income stems from. Stopping seasons would stop the game.
  • _RiO_ wrote:

Statistics published by Demiurge in a thread labeled "'Marvel Puzzle Quest' User Statistics (Platforms & Locales)" indicated that the largest EU countries combined could already be representing a playerbase within 75% of size to the US one. That's without the smaller countries added in and all while EU players are being treated as second rate citizens, which would logically lower both word-of-mouth adoption and player retention. If anything, the EU represents a market with future growth and more potential profit whereas the US market is reaching a point of stagnation and start of decay; saturated with many end-game veterans that would quit the game when the influx of new characters to collect would cease to be.

The EU market would actually represent as much, if not greater, business value at this point in time than the US market, I would think.

Uh...not trying to be a ****, but I have no idea where you're getting that from the statistics provided. This all sounds like anecdote and wishful thinking.
  • Spoit
    Options
    I'm actually a little bit confused as to how this is a bad thing, so to speak. Here's why;

As far as I can see it, the way things are now, all the big Alliances are going to start picking the same one or two shards, and those shards are going to be the high points ones (also known as "death brackets"). They're going to join these because the Season Rewards are important to Alliances.

This leaves the other two or three shards as pretty low ball play, honestly, with most brackets probably topping out at 500 or 600. The argument that these brackets let people get things the other brackets have to "fight hard for" at a much lower investment of effort are slightly incorrect.

Let me use a little personal experience/bias here, as anecdotal evidence. I personally, generally, only join into events at the end of them in hopes of falling into a low tier bracket. Where I am, I cannot get past that wonderful wall of 166s, so it's this or net nothing. For me, if I join an event at a normal time, I can hit 400-500 range relatively easily, even though it's a massive time sink, but then I just get knocked down to 200 before the day is out. To further exacerbate the issue, doing this sticks me in brackets with most of the people climbing to 700 to shield, a mark I could only dream of hitting myself, let alone whatever they hop to later down the road. So I'm getting double screwed here, because I lose all my progression and the gap between me and the top practically doubled. I almost always end up with ISO. On the other hand, I can join a bracket late, grind to 300-400 points and snag a single cover if I'm lucky (disclosure: I have gotten two covers twice).

You know what really sucks about having to do this though? I don't get barely any ISO income. I work most of the week, so I can't grind Lightning Rounds. PvE is usually a scaling nightmare, so I have to join those late too. Whenever I get a cover, I practically have to pull teeth to actually level it. Now, maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to play an entire event without having to work about being scaled out or there being a huge gap between me and #75.

I'm sorry it's apparently harder for you guys at the top, but I have a hard time feeling bad for the guys that have enough spare HP to though thousands of it away to try and prove a point over an in beta game improvement. They cannot stop seasons. They cannot. I would bet my house that's where 99% of their income stems from. Stopping seasons would stop the game.
    No, that's wrong. And exactly why I really wish people would stop using shard to refer to two different things!

There's sharding, which is the gentle nudges that result in death brackets that take 12 hours to fill.

And then there are time slices, which people have also been calling shards, which break the MMR into 5, not-equal parts.

They interact, since the gentle nudging that was bad before is now exacerbated by the MMR pool of the 1%ers being smaller per slice, but they're completely different things. So I really wish people would stop conflating them. It's entirely possible to have death brackets in the 'off slice', it's just that the point values would be lower
  • Spoit
    Options
    And for the record, I said that it was a bad idea to do it midseason before the season even started.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    tobi69 wrote:

Although not part of OPH, I knew what was happening and managed to get to 1750 without shielding (I got sniped because I wanted to see how far I could go and eventually shielded at 1650) and this was with joining with 5.5 hours left on shard 4. I eventually got to 1750 and finished 3rd in my bracket but I lost about 125HP on that event because I bought healthpacks. Definitely would not have been able to do it if I chose any other time slice. The point is the whales are willing to spend, but there's also scope for a skilled F2P player to get good scores just because you were lucky enough to choose the right time slice.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:

No, that's wrong. And exactly why I really wish people would stop using shard to refer to two different things!

There's sharding, which is the gentle nudges that result in death brackets that take 12 hours to fill.

And then there are time slices, which people have also been calling shards, which break the MMR into 5, not-equal parts.

They interact, since the gentle nudging that was bad before is now exacerbated by the MMR pool of the 1%ers being smaller per slice, but they're completely different things. So I really wish people would stop conflating them. It's entirely possible to have death brackets in the 'off slice', it's just that the point values would be lower

I am very aware that "sharding" is different than a time 'shard'. "Death Brackets", as far as I was aware, was a phenomenon where a lot of high scoring players were "sharded" into the same brackets, creating a difficult to manage scoring bracket. This is based on the scoring bracket you're placed in which is now based on when and what time slice you choose. Am I wrong with something here?

Also, I never said a death bracket couldn't exist in one of the less populated slices, just that the time splicing would create them most often in the ones with the big boys playing in them, and it's extremely unlikely to see a 'real' death bracket in the off-scoring ones, because, as you said, their score thresh hold is going to be far lower.
    Also, also, should I point out you're using MMR wrong? icon_lol.gif Because "MMR" stands for "Match Making Rating" and time shards don't split your individual ranking in any ways, shape, or form. icon_e_biggrin.gif That would be mighty fickle of me to fish through an entire post and pick out a single construed error though, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
  • djsquillz wrote:
    tobi69 wrote:

Tobi. I didnt track exactly what i spent, but 1750-2000HP is a fair estimate. That figure includes boosts, health packs, and shields. i scored 2200 points exactly. in terms of how m any hops, its difficult to say. i can tell u that i started my climb from 500 points @ around 4 PM on sunday and i dropped my first shield @ a shade under 1400 points. from there, i did 3 fight shield hops until about 1800 points. i did 2 fight hops maybe until 2000 and from there out, it was 1 fight hops until 2200 points. Once again these are estimates, but its pretty accurate.

hope this info helps.

marc

Thx for the info Marc,
    Well..I'm shock icon_eek.gif that's a huge amount of HP spent. That's $200 when u start at 0 HP icon_e_surprised.gif
    There's 9 PVP per season = $1800. Wow...just wow icon_e_surprised.gif

No offense man, despite the top allies competition, u could merc out for top 100 ally until S9 to get 3 free Thorina covers with more casual 900-1100 (1 or 2 shield) per pvp. Then spent those $200 for 8 Thorina covers (could be 5/1/5 or whatever).
    Well, that if ur personal goal is Thorina covers not about top allies competition.
    Just some perspective man, no one can't touch others freewill to have fun in game.

Cheers.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Spoit wrote:

I am very aware that "sharding" is different than a time 'shard'. "Death Brackets", as far as I was aware, was a phenomenon where a lot of high scoring players were "sharded" into the same brackets, creating a difficult to manage scoring bracket. This is based on the scoring bracket you're placed in which is now based on when and what time slice you choose. Am I wrong with something here?

Also, I never said a death bracket couldn't exist in one of the less populated slices, just that the time splicing would create them most often in the ones with the big boys playing in them, and it's extremely unlikely to see a 'real' death bracket in the off-scoring ones, because, as you said, their score thresh hold is going to be far lower.
    Also, also, should I point out you're using MMR wrong? icon_lol.gif Because "MMR" stands for "Match Making Rating" and time shards don't split your individual ranking in any ways, shape, or form. icon_e_biggrin.gif That would be mighty fickle of me to fish through an entire post and pick out a single construed error though, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Yeah, that was the wrong term. What is the term we were using for that then?

But yeah, death brackets have very little do with actual points. If there are a dozen people from top 10 alliances, you're going to have a slog to get that placement regardless if the point ceiling is 1k or 2k. Theoretically, an off slice would actually be worse in terms of sharding because there would be even fewer people in the not-MMR range that it's looking to shard together, so it'd take even longer to put the death bracket together, while it makes a dozen other ones. I mean, at taking more than 12 hours to fill, I'm seriously doubting how popular slice 4 was this pvp (I've heard the x-men are not in it in any numbers)
  • tobi69 wrote:
    I scored 2151 and spent 2725HP doing so. To be fair though, I was also hitting PVE every refresh as well as hopping in PVP so My HP expenditure was a bit higher for health packs. Also, I waited until late to climb so while I had some nice high point targets, I also got hit A LOT on my way up so I had to do more matches to get there.

I'm speechless n stunned, totally out of league.
    But i respect of what u doing for allies-sake, i know how it feels.

In contrary...
    kidicarus wrote:
    Although not part of OPH, I knew what was happening and managed to get to 1750 without shielding (I got sniped because I wanted to see how far I could go and eventually shielded at 1650) and this was with joining with 5.5 hours left on shard 4. I eventually got to 1750 and finished 3rd in my bracket but I lost about 125HP on that event because I bought healthpacks. Definitely would not have been able to do it if I chose any other time slice. The point is the whales are willing to spend, but there's also scope for a skilled F2P player to get good scores just because you were lucky enough to choose the right time slice.

Noted, will try this @Fatal Attaction icon_e_wink.gif thx.

Whales or F2P gameplay style, as long as we still play n have fun with it, this game will survive in long period.
    For marvel heroes-covers sake! icon_lol.gif
  • So, the game has changed with the Hood/Sentry nerf.

I could not call Nerf what has happened to Hood. It makes him even better than before. He saved my **** with Twin Pistols while my Xforce and IM40 had been killed. So, not bad.

Now, the metagame seems to be :

Cmag/Fury/Hood with Xforce

And of course, it's far better than it used to be.

You just need Black/Green boost and rainbow, instead of BG and Yellow/Red + Rainbow.

=============================================

Now, the time shards, I've been in a weak one for Hollowpoint, and it seems I am in a strong one with IM40. In the end, my season points should be balanced because I'll be able to score much higher this time (not that I care about my season points, but it's been mentioned several times).

I chose my shards according to my life. Not because I would expect to be in a strong shard.

And I am still positive and enthusiastic about time shards.

The whole thing will be balanced in the end I'm sure.
  • it is interesting how they gave the players a choice, and let us sort ourselves into different buckets. And some people liked the bucket they chose, and others hate that there are more than one bucket. The fault of this is not with D3, everyone that chose a bucket that was different than the old way did so for a reason, and the effects of everyone spreading out did change the way the "normal" time behaved. But the negatives described to me in this thread are all because of people making the choices that make the most sense for themselves. All D3 did was give us the ability to choose, we did the rest. And if giving people freedom to make their own personal choices sits poorly with you I ask you what are you actually arguing for? You want a better fairer system but I have seen very few ideas on what that better fairer system looks like. Cross slicing would still highly favor the later slices and comes with a horde of problems. Should we "subsidize" certain slices? Give the quiet ones a boost? Wait till all slices are complete then artificially adjust the scores from previous slices so they all look the same and retroactively hand out progression rewards and season points?

Abandoning the idea completely is merely taking freedom of choice away from people because they used it in a way that didn't maintain the current status quo.

Calling for D3 to "fix" the problems with it is like holding an election and then telling everyone who voted that they did it wrong and shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore.