Operation Pay Harder: A Debrief

Options

Comments

• Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    It looks like US players miss the rest of the world on PVP because they could hop over them during the time we where sleeping. Here's an idea then. If you want the time slots to be gone, let's make the event times EU based. You can still have your 2k scores but this time you lose your sleep. Sounds fair to me!

You forget that D3 is an American company based on American soil with a player base that is primarily North American audience. While they should listen to the feedback from Europe and Asia, how can you fault D3 from catering to their largest audience? They have to be appealing to the largest market, like any other company would. For the record, I am not speaking out of self interest as I do not live in North America.

In regards to the 2k scores- Part of the push to max out was due to the impending Sentry nerf. Scores will fall post-nerf and some of us pushed harder to get into better position for the overall Season VIII score.
  • Raekwen wrote:
    user311 wrote:
    I dont see how its D3 that split the alliances up? Every alliance has US and EU players mixed in. The idea of "choose your own" was to benefit everyone's schedule. It is the people in the alliances that make the choice to all join the same time shard. You all could self regulate and join the time appropriate to your timezone and this problem would not exist to the extent that it does. But you dont, you deliberately game the system so that the rest of us are shut out. That is not D3 ... its you.

Alright, let's take your example, and everyone chose their own timezone (which I'm pretty sure is more or less what happened in Hulk.) So, the US timezone shard blows up, since that's where the majority of top scorers live. The EU timezones are still sitting at half the score of the US timezone. So, not only does it make it much harder for the EU top scorers to do well, it makes the other EU players who were previously feeding off of the top scorers have to work much harder and spend much more to hit progression rewards.

I'll give you a real life example. mrdogfather is our alliance is EU. In Hulk, he joined his own shard. Subsequently, he scored among the lowest in our alliance, due to the shard targeting (he's usually among the top.) In the GSBW event, he felt forced (not by us) to join shard 4 so that he could keep up with season scores and because he wanted to contribute to the alliance. So, he went back to getting up at odd hours. Now, you can say that he should be happy with lower scores in the exchange of playing at his time, but why should he have to sacrifice? He should be able to play at his time, and contribute the same as the rest of us.

If you will check, Stalker7 had the same problem in this pvp. He is normally a High scorer but couldn't do much because of his time slot and lack of players. This has wrecked his season average.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    I can't speak for everyone, but I think I can fairly say that most vets have no interest in hitting 2000. We want to hit the progressions, get top-5 rewards, and help our alliances get top alliance results. For S.H.I.E.L.D, we have never had minimums and don't kick people out for low scores. Instead, we compensate for a member's RL issues, but that means some of us have to push high if we want the alliance to stay top-10 and receive the 5000 ISO alliance reward. But as more alliances have high scorers, it has become increasingly competitive, and that pushes players to go even higher.

OPH went as high as it did because we wanted to ensure out point was made even if other alliances did swaps to try to match us. We didn't think we would have garnered the same attention if we didn't win.

As for locking players into alliances, that wouldn't work because you do have the problem of players who slack off or have RL issues. Having 19 members miss rewards because one member didn't participate is going to create a lot of anger and will causes alliances to collapse as high scoring players search for greener pastures.

From what you describe and from what I read in this thread and forums in general, the real issue is MMR and not time slots. Similar to you not finding targets at a certain high point range, middle range has the same issue with "The Wall". So while you want them but can't find them, we have them but can't milk them.

What this change has done, is exaggerate MMR issues and make them more visible. Point awards along with matchmaking need a huge re-work. For the sake of everyone in this game, this needs to be addressed. But I don't think that alliance hopping and bad MMR are the product of the time slots change. Time slots only increased people's attention to them. MMR was bad since forever, but now with the time slot brackets I'm glad that the vets decided to jump in the conversation.

Don't blame time slots, blame the really bad MMR and sharding for this mayhem.
    Maybe I misread the OP, but that exactly what the conversations in alliance chat were about. People took issue with the 3rd to last paragraph, and then deliberately misconstrued the arguments off of those couple lines (which is why I had recommended against having that in the post to begin with)
  • Flare808
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I can't speak for everyone, but I think I can fairly say that most vets have no interest in hitting 2000. We want to hit the progressions, get top-5 rewards, and help our alliances get top alliance results. For S.H.I.E.L.D, we have never had minimums and don't kick people out for low scores. Instead, we compensate for a member's RL issues, but that means some of us have to push high if we want the alliance to stay top-10 and receive the 5000 ISO alliance reward. But as more alliances have high scorers, it has become increasingly competitive, and that pushes players to go even higher.

OPH went as high as it did because we wanted to ensure out point was made even if other alliances did swaps to try to match us. We didn't think we would have garnered the same attention if we didn't win.

As for locking players into alliances, that wouldn't work because you do have the problem of players who slack off or have RL issues. Having 19 members miss rewards because one member didn't participate is going to create a lot of anger and will causes alliances to collapse as high scoring players search for greener pastures.

Maybe I misread the OP, but that exactly what the conversations in alliance chat were about. People took issue with the 3rd to last paragraph, and then deliberately misconstrued the arguments off of those couple lines (which is why I had recommended against having that in the post to begin with)

Can be solved by combining the trade deadline idea. Up until a certain time in a PVP, any swaps are possible. After the trade deadline, only a max of 3 or so people can be added. It would prevent the wholesale swaps of OPPayHarder, but still allow for alliances to recover from a person or two who have RL issues.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    It's kind of a moot point since even before the end time thing d3p was "gently nudging" players so "don't give developing players a handicap" was never an option on the table...
    You want a gentle nudge? I joined this bracket at 78th place at 1. It's now 8:20 and it's only at 307 people. I joined at that time every other week and it was full in well under an how. Gently nudge this sharding. (there are already 5 RO/x-men/AoS people in the top 10, and that's well before most people even start to climb)
    3 hours later, and it's added all of...3 people. I don't think think this nudging could be any more gentle
    I just joined shard 4. Got added to the same bracket at no. 392. The leader has 1087 points already.

As far as I can tell - if you join shard 4, business as usual. Leaders with highers scores = players being able to find 50 pointer games. If you join other shards, leaders with lower scores but players can't find any scorers beyond 20 points. That makes total sense to me - you can't join a timing where it's easy for you to get to number 1 but then be able to attack a player in another timing where his 1000 points only gets him number 25? It's not fair for him and not fair for the game. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. So high level players have to decide if they want number 1 or if they want the progression rewards.

And none of this is the fault of the transitioning players - it's the high level players who are choosing shard 4 instead of the other shards.
  • Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Raekwen wrote:
    user311 wrote:
    I dont see how its D3 that split the alliances up? Every alliance has US and EU players mixed in. The idea of "choose your own" was to benefit everyone's schedule. It is the people in the alliances that make the choice to all join the same time shard. You all could self regulate and join the time appropriate to your timezone and this problem would not exist to the extent that it does. But you dont, you deliberately game the system so that the rest of us are shut out. That is not D3 ... its you.

Alright, let's take your example, and everyone chose their own timezone (which I'm pretty sure is more or less what happened in Hulk.) So, the US timezone shard blows up, since that's where the majority of top scorers live. The EU timezones are still sitting at half the score of the US timezone. So, not only does it make it much harder for the EU top scorers to do well, it makes the other EU players who were previously feeding off of the top scorers have to work much harder and spend much more to hit progression rewards.

I'll give you a real life example. mrdogfather is our alliance is EU. In Hulk, he joined his own shard. Subsequently, he scored among the lowest in our alliance, due to the shard targeting (he's usually among the top.) In the GSBW event, he felt forced (not by us) to join shard 4 so that he could keep up with season scores and because he wanted to contribute to the alliance. So, he went back to getting up at odd hours. Now, you can say that he should be happy with lower scores in the exchange of playing at his time, but why should he have to sacrifice? He should be able to play at his time, and contribute the same as the rest of us.

If you will check, Stalker7 had the same problem in this pvp. He is normally a High scorer but couldn't do much because of his time slot and lack of players. This has wrecked his season average.

Yup. It didn't hurt me one bit, but a quarter of our alliance is non-US, and I hate seeing them end up suffering one way or another because of this change that's supposedly supposed to benefit them. I don't want the shards to go away, I just want it to truly be fair so my friends can play when they want AND have the option to score well. It doesn't make sense to me that they should either have to continue to play at poor times for them, rendering this change moot, or end up having to find other alliances because they can't put up competitive scores in their shards.

Enough people have made the point that global sharding won't work, and I guess I see their point. I still don't think it would as drastic as it's been pointed out, but I admit I don't really know. I still think it would be a better solution than this one though.
  • Spoit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oops, apparently the quotes got clipped wrong, this was the one I meant to quote
    Okin107 wrote:

From what you describe and from what I read in this thread and forums in general, the real issue is MMR and not time slots. Similar to you not finding targets at a certain high point range, middle range has the same issue with "The Wall". So while you want them but can't find them, we have them but can't milk them.

What this change has done, is exaggerate MMR issues and make them more visible. Point awards along with matchmaking need a huge re-work. For the sake of everyone in this game, this needs to be addressed. But I don't think that alliance hopping and bad MMR are the product of the time slots change. Time slots only increased people's attention to them. MMR was bad since forever, but now with the time slot brackets I'm glad that the vets decided to jump in the conversation.

Don't blame time slots, blame the really bad MMR and sharding for this mayhem.

Which is why this whole focus on alliance swaping is a distraction from the actual topic at hand (and why setting it up like that was maybe not the best way to demonstrate the problems)
  • Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That makes total sense to me - you can't join a timing where it's easy for you to get to number 1 but then be able to attack a player in another timing where his 1000 points only gets him number 25? It's not fair for him and not fair for the game. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. So high level players have to decide if they want number 1 or if they want the progression rewards.

This example doesn't make sense. If people were hitting across shards you wouldn't have people sitting in first place with 1000 points, and getting number one wouldn't be as easy as it is now the other 4 shards.
    And none of this is the fault of the transitioning players - it's the high level players who are choosing shard 4 instead of the other shards.

Because a good portion of the high end players are US and chose the end time that they were supposed to?
  • Spoit
    Options
    As far as I can tell - if you join shard 4, business as usual. Leaders with highers scores = players being able to find 50 pointer games. If you join other shards, leaders with lower scores but players can't find any scorers beyond 20 points. That makes total sense to me - you can't join a timing where it's easy for you to get to number 1 but then be able to attack a player in another timing where his 1000 points only gets him number 25? It's not fair for him and not fair for the game. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. So high level players have to decide if they want number 1 or if they want the progression rewards.

It's certainly not business as usual. Like I said, I joined the bracket 12 hours ago, and it's still not full. I've joined at this time slot every week for months now and it's always filled in under an hour (usually like half an hour). And yes this is time slot 4.

And side note, can we please come to a consensus on the terminology? Using shards conflates the issue, while death sharding has always been and issue and these divisions have just exacerbated it, using the same word to describe two related, but distinct things just conflates the issue. I nominate the term "slices", since that's what the devs originally described it as IIRC. (time) slots would be fine too
  • Flare808
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    And side note, can we please come to a consensus on the terminology? Using shards conflates the issue, while death sharding has always been and issue and these divisions have just exacerbated it, using the same word to describe two related, but distinct things just conflates the issue. I nominate the term "slices", since that's what the devs originally described it as IIRC. (time) slots would be fine too

Not sure where you saw slice, but I was able to find HiFi call them shards in the thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18504. The quote in question is right under his picture.

I'd personally go with shards for the time divisions and death bracket for the crazy 2000+ top 10s.
  • Flare808 wrote:
    Okin107 wrote:
    It looks like US players miss the rest of the world on PVP because they could hop over them during the time we where sleeping. Here's an idea then. If you want the time slots to be gone, let's make the event times EU based. You can still have your 2k scores but this time you lose your sleep. Sounds fair to me!

You forget that D3 is an American company based on American soil with a player base that is primarily North American audience. While they should listen to the feedback from Europe and Asia, how can you fault D3 from catering to their largest audience? They have to be appealing to the largest market, like any other company would. For the record, I am not speaking out of self interest as I do not live in North America.

In regards to the 2k scores- Part of the push to max out was due to the impending Sentry nerf. Scores will fall post-nerf and some of us pushed harder to get into better position for the overall Season VIII score.

That says nothing about who they cater to. Blizzard is established in the US along with many other companies, but they value their customers equally all around the globe. If you make your product available to a specific target group, be ready to listen to their feedback. There people paying in EU same as they do in US.
  • Spoit
    Options
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18504&hilit=slice&start=80#p250440
    LoreNYC wrote:
    Curious how end times will affect rubber banding

Rubber-banding is relative to the other players in your time slice.

Regardless, shards has been used for a LONG time to refer to the "gentle nudging" so using it for other stuff, especially when the slices are making sharding worse, confuses the issue
  • Flare808
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    Flare808 wrote:
    Okin107 wrote:

That says nothing about who they cater to. Blizzard is established in the US along with many other companies, but they value their customers equally all around the globe. If you make your product available to a specific target group, be ready to listen to their feedback. There people paying in EU same as they do in US.

Your premise was to have EU friendly times, correct? I pointed out that as a corporation, D3's goal is to make money (providing a good game is secondary to that for most companies). I did say that they should listen to all feedback, from anywhere in the world. But that doesn't mean that they will bend to appease a minority, which the EU is.

Think about it this way, say McDonalds has a new burger they want to roll out. They can only season it one way for all of the burgers that are sent around the world. (Of course, they would localize the flavors, but in this case they can only choose 1 way) America likes the burger salty and fatty, no veggies of course. EU likes it with barbeque sauce and tons of onions. They would have to go with the burger that America likes because that makes them the most money. Yes, they may lose out on EU money, but that lost money pales in comparison to what they lose by using the EU favored burger. If you forced D3 to choose a single end time, NA would be favored due to the demographics.
  • Flare808
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18504&hilit=slice&start=80#p250440
    LoreNYC wrote:
    Curious how end times will affect rubber banding

Rubber-banding is relative to the other players in your time slice.

Regardless, shards has been used for a LONG time to refer to the "gentle nudging" so using it for other stuff, especially when the slices are making sharding worse, confuses the issue

I agree that common terminology is needed and I'll conform to whatever the majority uses. HiFi's post at the beginning of the thread using "shard" predates Will's "slice" by 11 days though.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    Flare808 wrote:
    (Comment based on current system) There is no message D3 is sending with having 5 identical shards available. They do not have control over where their players decide to play and did not force the top alliances to shard 4. You have complete control over which shard you play in. Like you said, if you want to score well, you end up with the high scorers, but that is a personal decision that each person/alliance makes on their own. I'm not saying this system is flawless or right, just pointing out that D3 isn't intentionally funneling all the top scorers together just to screw with you.

That's assuming that the high scorers always choose the same timeslot. The problem is that they may not. The x-men have the upperhand in this and since you are in x-men 4, I do not think you are able to fully appreciate the issue. Whichever timeslot that your mega alliance chooses, there will be a trickle down effect to the rest of the people in that timeslot. In Smash Hit, x-men chose timeslot 1. Then in Highpoint Kill, a different timeslot. This could change on a perpetual basis so choosing the right timeslot to score well becomes like a game of roulette for those people who aren't a part of the x-men alliances.

On the other hand, if timeslot 4 is going to be where the high scorers are always going to be, then I would say that it is fair to a certain extent. People can choose a timeslot knowing in advance that if they want to score well, they should join timeslot 4 and if they are more concerned about their placement, then they should join any other timeslots. Question is, can we always say timeslot 4 is where the points will be?
  • Flare808 wrote:

Your premise was to have EU friendly times, correct? I pointed out that as a corporation, D3's goal is to make money (providing a good game is secondary to that for most companies). I did say that they should listen to all feedback, from anywhere in the world. But that doesn't mean that they will bend to appease a minority, which the EU is.

Think about it this way, say McDonalds has a new burger they want to roll out. They can only season it one way for all of the burgers that are sent around the world. (Of course, they would localize the flavors, but in this case they can only choose 1 way) America likes the burger salty and fatty, no veggies of course. EU likes it with barbeque sauce and tons of onions. They would have to go with the burger that America likes because that makes them the most money. Yes, they may lose out on EU money, but that lost money pales in comparison to what they lose by using the EU favored burger. If you forced D3 to choose a single end time, NA would be favored due to the demographics.

Oh, that was to emphasize how unfair things where before time slots came. My main intention was not to ask for EU friendly times only. However, if they are to cancel time slots, this time around I'd prefer to have EU friendly times for 1 year straight so that people that people that want this change removed can taste the unfairness first hand instead of just reading and empathizing it. And I know there is Asian timezone too, but that is not the point of my statement. I am trying to make a bigger point than just asking for EU friendly times because they suit me best.

Your McDonalds example would be better if you modified it a bit. It would be the same as if we have McDonalds in EU operate at the same working hours like the do in the US. I doubt many people would wake up at those hours just to eat a hot Big Mack. It is not the flavor of the burger the issue in our case, it is the time it is made available.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shadow wrote:
    Flare808 wrote:
    (Comment based on current system) There is no message D3 is sending with having 5 identical shards available. They do not have control over where their players decide to play and did not force the top alliances to shard 4. You have complete control over which shard you play in. Like you said, if you want to score well, you end up with the high scorers, but that is a personal decision that each person/alliance makes on their own. I'm not saying this system is flawless or right, just pointing out that D3 isn't intentionally funneling all the top scorers together just to screw with you.

That's assuming that the high scorers always choose the same timeslot. The problem is that they may not. The x-men have the upperhand in this and since you are in x-men 4, I do not think you are able to fully appreciate the issue. Whichever timeslot that your mega alliance chooses, there will be a trickle down effect to the rest of the people in that timeslot. In Smash Hit, x-men chose timeslot 1. Then in Highpoint Kill, a different timeslot. This could change on a perpetual basis so choosing the right timeslot to score well becomes like a game of roulette for those people who aren't a part of the x-men alliances.

On the other hand, if timeslot 4 is going to be where the high scorers are always going to be, then I would say that it is fair to a certain extent. People can choose a timeslot knowing in advance that if they want to score well, they should join timeslot 4 and if they are more concerned about their placement, then they should join any other timeslots. Question is, can we always say timeslot 4 is where the points will be?
    It's okay, arktos can take us behind the scenes of the xmen and let us know what times they're choosing... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Spoit
    Options
    Shadow wrote:
    Flare808 wrote:

Dunno which slice the x-men are chosing for this one, but I've already seen at least 10 top tier alliance people in this death bracket in slice 4, with Cap amurika already at 1.1k
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Raekwen wrote:
    Enough people have made the point that global sharding won't work, and I guess I see their point. I still don't think it would as drastic as it's been pointed out, but I admit I don't really know. I still think it would be a better solution than this one though.

They could just trial it and find out - given the complaints from some the season is already tainted, so why not? I agree with the criticisms that this would advantage the later time slices, but so what - the current method advantages whichever one is full of x-men, and the old system advantages people in the Americas and whoever is willing to pay for shields. At least with matching across time slices everyone knows what to expect. My guess is the score disparity would be lower than it is now, and it would make hitting progression rewards doable even for early slices because plenty of high scorers climb early.

They would still have to fix whatever is going in with death brackets, but that is certainly caused by something like introducing time slotting and not changing their sharding parameters appropriately.

The bigger problem is it probably needs a bigger code change - the current method is essentially running five separate events concurrently, and cross-time matching doesn't fit in that well.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Question, did the top alliances conspire to join the same shard?

for those who offer the suggestion that we can choose which path to go on easy ranking or more points how do we know which shard to join is there a sign or other input provided global player base that tells us which shard has the top alliances. we can guess that it is the fourth but the top alliances could conspire again to switch to another.