Is it possible that they're actually scrapping Speed Evil?

Options
I'm thinking that there's a possibility, that they will be scrapping Lightning Rounds.

When you think about it carefully, it's not exactly a big tournament where everyone who puts in effort gets a good prize.

No, this is nothing like The Hulk event, where thousands of players get good prizes.

This is an event where the strong players can keep grinding and grinding all the rounds over and over, until they get all the prizes. While the rest who don't have decent 3 stars team, get left out and starve.

No bracketing, limited time, screwed up point system, the usual. It's hardly fair competition, the weaker teams just become fodder.

That and the strong teams keep getting free covers. Why would they pay money?

So, I'm suspecting that the devs may be scrapping the system. One, because it is not fair. Two, because they want people to pay for their covers, not get all 5 full 3 stars free.

Comments

• Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    Options
    I've got a pretty awesome roster and I built it from scratch almost entirely due to lightning rounds.

I've never understood people griping about these...the prizes are within reach of players in lower mmr's without stacked teams.

I built my team with those diabolical tokens, they're fantastic.
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    I've got a pretty awesome roster and I built it from scratch almost entirely due to lightning rounds.

I've never understood people griping about these...the prizes are within reach of players in lower mmr's without stacked teams.

I built my team with those diabolical tokens, they're fantastic.

I'm not exactly sure that's a common experience with LR, IMO. I only got one token out of that event when I was starting out, and ever since then it's been a struggle for me to make it to top 250 even with tanking. It's not that hard at all to win the battles, but the flurry of retaliations make it impossible to progress unless you have a team that can chew through players quickly enough to overcome it. Or maybe I just suck? icon_eek.gif
  • I wasn't posting this to gripe. Though truthfully, I do have a few things to gripe about. The Lightning Rounds are waaaaay too competitive for me. In the rare few times I made it close to the top, I have had plenty of instances where I'm knocked from Rank 26 all the way to Rank 60+ at the last possible minute. Sigh, always had that happen to me.... Oh well, at least I still got a Heroic. A Heroic that contains a bagman. -_-'

Anyway, the Lightning Rounds are way too stressful imho. I wish they had bracketing.

I created this topic because last night the LR screwed up. I thought they really intend to scrap it, so I came up with a few crackpot theories why.

But now that I've been proven wrong, Lightning Rounds are still here, I guess we can close this topic now.
  • Lightning rounds are just a way for the strongest to get even stronger - that's why they anticipate it so much. For us the regulars it's just some free ISO without worrying about retaliations (if I worry I can't even get a heroic token for top 100) so basically that's it.
  • They should be split into 2 or 3 brackets making all the top dogs in one bracket making it fair.
  • bongo king wrote:
    They should be split into 2 or 3 brackets making all the top dogs in one bracket making it fair.

Yes they should, I fully agree.

But the top dogs will always find a way to lower themselves, so they can snatch first place in that bracket. XD
  • bongo king wrote:
    They should be split into 2 or 3 brackets making all the top dogs in one bracket making it fair.

How do you define the top dogs though? If it's by MMR you'll still get them tanking in rounds they're not interested in so that they go into an easier bracket in the round they do want to play, and with easier opponents they'll simply roll through everyone.
  • I find this hilarious.

The top dogs aren't playing the LRs -- we already have all the covers (or enough to make placing not really worthwhile). The people vying in the LRs are people who are transitioning to that status.

On a lark I tried making it to top 2 in Magneto, since I still need a red. Wasn't going to happen without a lot more effort on my part. I'd rather just pull that red from a token or pay for it with HP. My Mags isn't level blocked yet anyway.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    I find this hilarious.

The top dogs aren't playing the LRs -- we already have all the covers (or enough to make placing not really worthwhile). The people vying in the LRs are people who are transitioning to that status.

On a lark I tried making it to top 2 in Magneto, since I still need a red. Wasn't going to happen without a lot more effort on my part. I'd rather just pull that red from a token or pay for it with HP. My Mags isn't level blocked yet anyway.
    In the last one where the reward was rag I saw a guy with maxed rag with more than 0 points.. greed?
  • Lucky girl wrote:
    In the last one where the reward was rag I saw a guy with maxed rag with more than 0 points.. greed?

Uh, no. It's called getting ISO.

If he was going for the covers that's another matter. There will be some people who do that, but it's far, far from the norm.

I'll finish this Rags round at 120 points-ish. Because that's what I have now, and I'm not putting in a tank team. If someone wants to attack me, feel free, but I think you'll find easier matches than a L115 Rags, L115 Mags, and L141 Spidey (or L60 Doom; I forget which I ran this time).

Even when I go to 250 points it's not going to deny anyone a Heroic or Diabolical token. In the one Mags round where I got to 500 and then tanked I still got knocked waaaay down in under 20 minutes, and I know several people made their top 25 (or even top 8) placements thanks to sucking points off me.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Lucky girl wrote:
    Zathrus wrote:
    I find this hilarious.

Just getting easy ISO? I can get around 2500 ISO and two recruit tokens in 15 minutes - it's worth it.

Also, like others said, the really top players rarely go for the rewards in the lightning rounds.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    bongo king wrote:

How do you define the top dogs though? If it's by MMR you'll still get them tanking in rounds they're not interested in so that they go into an easier bracket in the round they do want to play, and with easier opponents they'll simply roll through everyone.

Only real way to separate is to have tiers based on total lvl of the characters brought in. Maybe a 100 and below, 200 and below 300 and below and over 300 tier grouping. You can play in as many of these during the hour and half as you want but diversifying means you won't win usually. The higher the lvl tier the better the rewards are. So maybe the 100 and under tier rewards for (let's say a magneto round) is Top 2- diabolical token Top 8- 2x heroic. Top 25 1x heroic. Top 50 5 standard etc. Then for the 200 under and 300 under would be as they are set up now and the 300 up would maybe give out more ISO. That way ppl with high stuff have less of a reason to troll in the lightning rounds below their lvl because the rewards are different. Sure, rich get an advantage, but the rich don't get the ONLY advantage.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    bongo king wrote:

Only real way to separate is to have tiers based on total lvl of the characters brought in. Maybe a 100 and below, 200 and below 300 and below and over 300 tier grouping. You can play in as many of these during the hour and half as you want but diversifying means you won't win usually. The higher the lvl tier the better the rewards are. So maybe the 100 and under tier rewards for (let's say a magneto round) is Top 2- diabolical token Top 8- 2x heroic. Top 25 1x heroic. Top 50 5 standard etc. Then for the 200 under and 300 under would be as they are set up now and the 300 up would maybe give out more ISO. That way ppl with high stuff have less of a reason to troll in the lightning rounds below their lvl because the rewards are different. Sure, rich get an advantage, but the rich don't get the ONLY advantage.

I was thinking something similar, but I think your method is cleaner. It would be great to allow people to separate themselves into the tiers they want to or can complete in. I also like the idea of more ISO in higher tiers. I think the ISO won for each fight should be a little higher with each tier. The only thing I have to add is you should be able to fight above your level. Like wrestling or boxing weight limits, you have a maximum limit, but that doesn't mean you have to be that level in order to compete for the better prizes or more ISO.

Specifically for the lightning rounds, a special slug fest for people who have the maximum covers for that character could be fun. It'd mostly be ISO and HP rewards with at least enough HP to cover the amount they'd earn in the regular tounament if they cashed in their covers. I don't think that anyone is really doing that, I just think it would be fun to play for something when you have this fully leveled, boosted character.
  • You're not supposed to be able to win every tournament people. LRs are for people in a higher tier than you.

Everyone else gets some free ISO, a chance to try new characters and some recruit tokens.
  • bongo king wrote:

What you are asking for has nothing to do with fairness, but about making it easy to get the best covers in the game, which is a terrible idea. Think of competing in lightning rounds as a long-term goal, something that you do over an extended period. When you get to that point, and with effort you can, the victory will be so much sweeter than if they had simply handed it to you. Getting those covers is the only long-term goal in the game (aside from simply collecting everything) and changing that would be a huge mistake.
  • My 2 cents... maybe have different LRs you can enter with diff reward tiers instead of automatically forcing people into a bracket. If u w ant to play lower tier u get lower rewards. If someone said this sorry, I only skimmed the comments.
  • Misguided wrote:
    bongo king wrote:

What you are asking for has nothing to do with fairness, but about making it easy to get the best covers in the game, which is a terrible idea. Think of competing in lightning rounds as a long-term goal, something that you do over an extended period. When you get to that point, and with effort you can, the victory will be so much sweeter than if they had simply handed it to you. Getting those covers is the only long-term goal in the game (aside from simply collecting everything) and changing that would be a huge mistake.

This.
  • My 2 cents... maybe have different LRs you can enter with diff reward tiers instead of automatically forcing people into a bracket. If u w ant to play lower tier u get lower rewards. If someone said this sorry, I only skimmed the comments.

That's an idea I could get behind. It would be interesting if there were some overlap. Suppose you could win Doom or Loki covers in the lower tier, then use those to compete for Rag/Mag. Or they could offer diabolical tokens as upper tier prizes. Interesting idea.
  • Misguided wrote:
    My 2 cents... maybe have different LRs you can enter with diff reward tiers instead of automatically forcing people into a bracket. If u w ant to play lower tier u get lower rewards. If someone said this sorry, I only skimmed the comments.

That's an idea I could get behind. It would be interesting if there were some overlap. Suppose you could win Doom or Loki covers in the lower tier, then use those to compete for Rag/Mag. Or they could offer diabolical tokens as upper tier prizes. Interesting idea.

That's what Soenottelling and I were suggesting. It gives lower level players an opportunity to get to a level to compete in the next tier up.
  • The LRs are just poorly designed because to do well in them pretty much requires you already have most of the prizes and in that case you wouldn't need to do LR in the first place.