*** Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) ***

1910111315

Comments

  • sweegy wrote:
    I've been using her lately while she's boosted and having fun with huge burst when when she tanks 3 or 4 colors. Does it bug anyone else that the red power is a sword slash but the sound effect sounds like a punch or a thud?
    does it bother anyone else that gamora green is so bad and her black barely makes sense?

    does it bother anyone else she has completely same VO as OBW?
  • The voice effects do bother me, especially since they changed Cyke and KK soon after release to be more unique. Like I get you have to put in SOMETHING and then polish later (kinda) but it seems they skipped Gamora completely on the second pass line. Hell even just give her Blade's blackflag.png sound effect for her redflag.png .
  • simonsezsimonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    her black barely makes sense?
    How so? When you say it doesn't make sense, do you mean you don't understand it, or you just don't like it? No one ever complained about Patch's red not making sense, and it's pretty much the same mechanic.
  • So I'm using a boosted 214 Gamora, TGT, and IF on the essential nodes for both Gamora and TGT and it works surprisingly well. 12 black with Gamora tanking Green and Black usually makes 4-6 strike tiles of strength 188 right now, and they usually trigger about 6-10 times before being phased out thanks to the attack tile provided by IF. That's ~7520 damage for 12 AP or ~600 an AP. Not bad for a 3*.

    Of course she is crazy boosted out of her mind for this, but that's mostly when I'll be using Gamora anyway. Not an everyday hitter but good to go in when powered up.
  • QuebbsterQuebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was fun playing Gamora and Grocket together in Black Vortex just to see how many strike tiles I could add to the board. icon_e_smile.gif
    I think Skull Cracker is decent enough, but I will usually wait until one enemy is down before using it so I can be sure who gets stunned.
    It would be fun to get a Joan Jett guitar riff sound effect for the black, but I imagine it would be expensive.
  • The more I play with her the clearer it becomes that 5 black is a must for her. Both of her skills hit for too low without strike.png and are seemingly balanced with them in mind. Going 5/5/3 like 'best' poll build ends with her becoming crippled version of Torch or Punisher, a weaker single target nuker with overpriced AoE and useless Black.

    She needs to tank her colours and she needs to be able to launch 12 blacktile.png. If you can fulfill this two requirments, she is playable. If you don't, you have a pair of better (but still rather mediocre) heroes instead for same colour scheme.
  • Nick441234Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'll be going against the recommended build on here. I love her black, its caused some serious damage in this latest boosted event. I think her red is naff, I really do. I like her green as it stuns so will be aiming for 5/3/5.
  • dkffivdkffiv Posts: 1,034 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nivrax wrote:
    The more I play with her the clearer it becomes that 5 black is a must for her. Both of her skills hit for too low without strike.png and are seemingly balanced with them in mind. Going 5/5/3 like 'best' poll build ends with her becoming crippled version of Torch or Punisher, a weaker single target nuker with overpriced AoE and useless Black.

    She needs to tank her colours and she needs to be able to launch 12 blacktile.png. If you can fulfill this two requirments, she is playable. If you don't, you have a pair of better (but still rather mediocre) heroes instead for same colour scheme.

    The problem is neither 5 red nor 5 black is really impressive, which is a shame. 5 red is a worse version of Torch (about on par with Punisher but Punisher's green and black arguably work better together) and 5 black is worse than Black Panther / Groot (different colors but effect wise it usually ends up being weaker). Mine is 5/3/5 but I'm not really sure its all that much better than 5/5/3 (I have 2 red covers in reserve and I'm debating switching back). There are situations where I wish red did higher damage to down a squishy like Hood or IF faster.

    The problem with her black is that she places strike tiles on a different color. With BP or Groot, if you're forced to match your own strike tiles away you're at least fueling your next cast. With Gamora, you're losing them and they take forever to replace.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:
    The more I play with her the clearer it becomes that 5 black is a must for her. Both of her skills hit for too low without strike.png and are seemingly balanced with them in mind. Going 5/5/3 like 'best' poll build ends with her becoming crippled version of Torch or Punisher, a weaker single target nuker with overpriced AoE and useless Black.

    She needs to tank her colours and she needs to be able to launch 12 blacktile.png. If you can fulfill this two requirments, she is playable. If you don't, you have a pair of better (but still rather mediocre) heroes instead for same colour scheme.

    The problem is neither 5 red nor 5 black is really impressive, which is a shame. 5 red is a worse version of Torch (about on par with Punisher but Punisher's green and black arguably work better together) and 5 black is worse than Black Panther / Groot (different colors but effect wise it usually ends up being weaker). Mine is 5/3/5 but I'm not really sure its all that much better than 5/5/3 (I have 2 red covers in reserve and I'm debating switching back). There are situations where I wish red did higher damage to down a squishy like Hood or IF faster.

    The problem with her black is that she places strike tiles on a different color. With BP or Groot, if you're forced to match your own strike tiles away you're at least fueling your next cast. With Gamora, you're losing them and they take forever to replace.
    agree completely, as i said early she's bad and her abilities(particularly black) dont make sense.

    I dont see how folks can say shes good powered up when we just had 290 patch/240 marvel even 240 punisher
  • VhailorxVhailorx Posts: 5,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:
    The more I play with her the clearer it becomes that 5 black is a must for her. Both of her skills hit for too low without strike.png and are seemingly balanced with them in mind. Going 5/5/3 like 'best' poll build ends with her becoming crippled version of Torch or Punisher, a weaker single target nuker with overpriced AoE and useless Black.

    She needs to tank her colours and she needs to be able to launch 12 blacktile.png. If you can fulfill this two requirments, she is playable. If you don't, you have a pair of better (but still rather mediocre) heroes instead for same colour scheme.

    The problem is neither 5 red nor 5 black is really impressive, which is a shame. 5 red is a worse version of Torch (about on par with Punisher but Punisher's green and black arguably work better together) and 5 black is worse than Black Panther / Groot (different colors but effect wise it usually ends up being weaker). Mine is 5/3/5 but I'm not really sure its all that much better than 5/5/3 (I have 2 red covers in reserve and I'm debating switching back). There are situations where I wish red did higher damage to down a squishy like Hood or IF faster.

    The problem with her black is that she places strike tiles on a different color. With BP or Groot, if you're forced to match your own strike tiles away you're at least fueling your next cast. With Gamora, you're losing them and they take forever to replace.
    agree completely, as i said early she's bad and her abilities(particularly black) dont make sense.

    I dont see how folks can say shes good powered up when we just had 290 patch/240 marvel even 240 punisher

    She is a bad character in that there is almost always someone else who can do a better job than gamora. She's a low tier character.

    That said, I can understand her intended design and I have found it kinda fun to design teams around making her work (i.e., run 5/3/5, make sure she is tanking 3-5 colors, collect 12 green and black, plus as much red as possible, wait until there are lots of yellow tiles on the board, drop all the strikes and end the match). That can be an enjoyable experience IF you bring some defense so she can survive to collect all that ap.

    That said, she is a failed design. Her black is much to expensive for what it does. it should either create more tiles, or it should cost less. Additionally, characters that need to control tiles to make their powers work need to be able to absorb at least some of the damage that comes from controlling tiles (e.g. patch). She desperately needs some defense, which means she can really only be run with cage or spidey. Otherwise she is only usable for one match before she needs a healthpack.
  • dkffivdkffiv Posts: 1,034 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Additionally, characters that need to control tiles to make their powers work need to be able to absorb at least some of the damage that comes from controlling tiles (e.g. patch). She desperately needs some defense, which means she can really only be run with cage or spidey. Otherwise she is only usable for one match before she needs a healthpack.

    That's not entirely true, I've completed 5/6x grind downs with her without needing a health kit while she was tanking all 3 of her colors (without Cage/Spider-Man or true heals). Problem is that the fights would be a lot easier with a similar level Torch or Punisher. Her black desperately needs to be dropped to 9 AP and her red should do at the minimum 1400/1600/1900 (currently does 925/1190/1719). That would be 280/320/380 damage per AP ratio, Torch 5 covers is 424/565 (depending if you consider it 8 / 6 AP).
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:
    The more I play with her the clearer it becomes that 5 black is a must for her. Both of her skills hit for too low without strike.png and are seemingly balanced with them in mind. Going 5/5/3 like 'best' poll build ends with her becoming crippled version of Torch or Punisher, a weaker single target nuker with overpriced AoE and useless Black.

    She needs to tank her colours and she needs to be able to launch 12 blacktile.png. If you can fulfill this two requirments, she is playable. If you don't, you have a pair of better (but still rather mediocre) heroes instead for same colour scheme.

    The problem is neither 5 red nor 5 black is really impressive, which is a shame. 5 red is a worse version of Torch (about on par with Punisher but Punisher's green and black arguably work better together) and 5 black is worse than Black Panther / Groot (different colors but effect wise it usually ends up being weaker). Mine is 5/3/5 but I'm not really sure its all that much better than 5/5/3 (I have 2 red covers in reserve and I'm debating switching back). There are situations where I wish red did higher damage to down a squishy like Hood or IF faster.

    The problem with her black is that she places strike tiles on a different color. With BP or Groot, if you're forced to match your own strike tiles away you're at least fueling your next cast. With Gamora, you're losing them and they take forever to replace.
    agree completely, as i said early she's bad and her abilities(particularly black) dont make sense.

    I dont see how folks can say shes good powered up when we just had 290 patch/240 marvel even 240 punisher

    She is a bad character in that there is almost always someone else who can do a better job than gamora. She's a low tier character.

    That said, I can understand her intended design and I have found it kinda fun to design teams around making her work (i.e., run 5/3/5, make sure she is tanking 3-5 colors, collect 12 green and black, plus as much red as possible, wait until there are lots of yellow tiles on the board, drop all the strikes and end the match). That can be an enjoyable experience IF you bring some defense so she can survive to collect all that ap.

    That said, she is a failed design. Her black is much to expensive for what it does. it should either create more tiles, or it should cost less. Additionally, characters that need to control tiles to make their powers work need to be able to absorb at least some of the damage that comes from controlling tiles (e.g. patch). She desperately needs some defense, which means she can really only be run with cage or spidey. Otherwise she is only usable for one match before she needs a healthpack.
    agree. If there was a way to give her the entire board that wasn't unrealistic, or her green was less trash or cheaper she'd make sense. Right now bleh
  • dkffivdkffiv Posts: 1,034 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    agree. If there was a way to give her the entire board that wasn't unrealistic, or her green was less trash or cheaper she'd make sense. Right now bleh

    Tanking her 3 is usually enough to convert every yellow tile unless there is a ridiculous amount on board. If we assume there are 9 of each type of tile that's 6 out of 9 yellow all the time and its pretty easy to tell if there are more Gamora tiles on board or not (and should thus hold off). Green is pretty good, a drop to 10 or 11 AP wouldn't be bad but I don't think its completely necessary. Red and black are the major problems.
  • MalcrofMalcrof GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    agree. If there was a way to give her the entire board that wasn't unrealistic, or her green was less trash or cheaper she'd make sense. Right now bleh

    Tanking her 3 is usually enough to convert every yellow tile unless there is a ridiculous amount on board. If we assume there are 9 of each type of tile that's 6 out of 9 yellow all the time and its pretty easy to tell if there are more Gamora tiles on board or not (and should thus hold off). Green is pretty good, a drop to 10 or 11 AP wouldn't be bad but I don't think its completely necessary. Red and black are the major problems.

    Are we even going to mention Psylocke's cheap damage + special tiles???
  • Buret0Buret0 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,591
    I've been playing her with PX and Beast.

    This way, using her Red early isn't going to cost you so much, because you're getting support tiles in place with every use. This allows you to down a support character quickly, giving you the time you need to build up your black.

    PX, Gamora, and Carnage might be fun too for this event.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    You either go 5/3/5 or X/5/X

    Her green while either needing an ap drop or a dmg boost is a fairly decent skill.

    Essentially you either save up red waiting for black via 5/3/5 or you spam it like crazy in which the other 2 colors don't matter.

    Black either needs to be cheaper or convert more tiles or do dmg in addition.

    If you do opt 5 red, I would go 5/5/3, pair her with patch and a good black user her and have patch tank green and red
  • her black should be passive and add strike tiles/improve strike tiles for every move she uses, or maybe psylocke's blue can be turned passive and give countdown when she casts other abilities hmm
  • dkffivdkffiv Posts: 1,034 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    I've been playing her with PX and Beast.

    This way, using her Red early isn't going to cost you so much, because you're getting support tiles in place with every use. This allows you to down a support character quickly, giving you the time you need to build up your black.

    PX, Gamora, and Carnage might be fun too for this event.

    As stated many times before, she's okay but other people do her job better. Psylocke or Cyclops would be a better replacement with PX because their abilities synergize better/are faster.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    You either go 5/3/5 or X/5/X

    Her green while either needing an ap drop or a dmg boost is a fairly decent skill.

    Essentially you either save up red waiting for black via 5/3/5 or you spam it like crazy in which the other 2 colors don't matter.

    Black either needs to be cheaper or convert more tiles or do dmg in addition.

    If you do opt 5 red, I would go 5/5/3, pair her with patch and a good black user her and have patch tank green and red

    The problem here is Patch can only tank Green/Red for Gamora if A) She isn't boosted in which case why are you using her here or 2) Patch and her are both boosted to 240 in which case why are you using her here (and not Hulk/Loki).

    No, Gamora only sees playtime as a boosted characer, and as a boosted character her black ain't bad. 3/5/5 is OK, but the damage on red is so lack luster (especially now compared to Cyke), that I'd rater have the 2 person 2 round stun for 12. I don't even care about the damage green has, it's just an added bonus to stunning the last two living guys for 2 rounds.
    dkffiv wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    I've been playing her with PX and Beast.

    This way, using her Red early isn't going to cost you so much, because you're getting support tiles in place with every use. This allows you to down a support character quickly, giving you the time you need to build up your black.

    PX, Gamora, and Carnage might be fun too for this event.

    As stated many times before, she's okay but other people do her job better. Psylocke or Cyclops would be a better replacement with PX because their abilities synergize better/are faster.

    Yea, again Gamora will only see time as a boosted character. Maybe even only a 290 boosted character because the 240 option isn't even really better than Cyke. As such her build should rely on that boost, and Black is clearly the superior choice there.
  • Buret0Buret0 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,591
    dkffiv wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    I've been playing her with PX and Beast.

    This way, using her Red early isn't going to cost you so much, because you're getting support tiles in place with every use. This allows you to down a support character quickly, giving you the time you need to build up your black.

    PX, Gamora, and Carnage might be fun too for this event.

    As stated many times before, she's okay but other people do her job better. Psylocke or Cyclops would be a better replacement with PX because their abilities synergize better/are faster.

    How strong are the strike tiles and how many do you get?

    I don't have a workable Psy or Cy at this point (cover and level), but amongst my well covered characters, Gamora is capped at 140 and 0/5/5. I've intentionally left green covers off of her so that she doesn't use it on D. I'd rather have Beast use his or KK or Carnage, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.