Patch Notes Discussion- R65 (Live: 11/17/14)

1235»

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's been no official announcement as to what's in this patch. Can we have one please.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Moon Roach wrote:
    There's been no official announcement as to what's in this patch. Can we have one please.

The patch contained a fix for:
    1) Android Lollipop issues
    2) Android and PC Alliance Chat issues.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Update: after today's patch (on PC) when I went to my chat all of messages there showed up as blank and the identity of the poster of the message was blank as well. When I entered a new message I was able to see it in the chat. Not sure if that extra info will be helpful in debugging the problem.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*Update: With the new patch going in, encryption has now changed between the old and new versions. So, Chat history will have been wiped

Sorry David, but if you want to foster goodwill with the players, then don't offer a patch that says on the label that it will fix a feature, when you know for a fact that it will break said feature. At the very least, include an up-front warning about a rocky transition.

An even better fix in this particular case would've been to just have your technical people migrate the existing data from the old to the new encryption standard; if you can decrypt the chat data for use with the old client and if you can encrypt data with the new client, then you can also decrypt old data and then re-encrypt it with the new standard...
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    _RiO_ wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*Update: With the new patch going in, encryption has now changed between the old and new versions. So, Chat history will have been wiped

Sorry David, but if you want to foster goodwill with the players, then don't offer a patch that says on the label that it will fix a feature, when you know for a fact that it will break said feature. At the very least, include an up-front warning about a rocky transition.

They are, in theory, fixing the Alliance Chat feature. It will, in theory, work after this patch. Prior chat logs existing or not has nothing to do with that fact (not to mention the fact you quoted him basically saying "it might be a little rocky" by saying 'hey, sorry, old chat logs won't work'.)
    _RiO_ wrote:
    An even better fix in this particular case would've been to just have your technical people migrate the existing data from the old to the new encryption standard; if you can decrypt the chat data for use with the old client and if you can encrypt data with the new client, then you can also decrypt old data and then re-encrypt it with the new standard...

...and we both know that can take days for small amounts of text --- not to mention incredibly taxing on hardware. Let's throw the monkey wrench in there that there's thousands of Alliances that would need this treatment. Compounded by the fact we have no idea what kind of hardware they're working with.

I'm sorry, but I'm okay with sacrificing a week's worth of "My shield's up" or "I saw GotG today!" to have it fixed now and not a month form now.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    _RiO_ wrote:

...and we both know that can take days for small amounts of text --- not to mention incredibly taxing on hardware.

Please excuse me while I have a good laugh.
    No. That won't take days. You're not brute-forcing a hash or encrypted result here. You're decrypting with a known decryption key and then re-encrypting with a known encryption key. That should take milliseconds with modern cipher suites.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    _RiO_ wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

...and we both know that can take days for small amounts of text --- not to mention incredibly taxing on hardware.

Please excuse me while I have a good laugh.
    No. That won't take days. You're not brute-forcing a hash or encrypted result here. You're decrypting with a known decryption key and then re-encrypting with a known encryption key. That should take milliseconds with modern cipher suites.
    Don't forget the servers are running on TI 82s. You can't work the hamsters so hard.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like the Sentry nerf was thrown in that update without official comment (stealthy)?. Not that I mind, I haven't used him in about a week and I was surprised to go in a match with him and WR costs 12.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Looks like the Sentry nerf was thrown in that update without official comment (stealthy)?. Not that I mind, I haven't used him in about a week and I was surprised to go in a match with him and WR costs 12.
    I think the Hood/Sentry nerf was done as a server-side push, not a client update. Still, it would be nice for them to tell us via forums or in-game popup when a change like this went live.