Options

Comments

• Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My bracket:
    1) Ryesteve - 125125
    10) Ebolamonkey84 - 99914

Top 5 are pretty safe if they keep at it.
  • My bracket:

#1 Andreyohanes 142K
    #10 (didn't look at name) 106K
    #11 jkaplowitz (me) 102K

I went to work in 6th place, just got back after 12 hours and had dropped to 16. Now I'm up to 11 and waiting for my nodes to reset so I can climb back into the top 10.
  • almost at 50k, still at #4, still not in an alliance... i guess thats what im meant to do

I really wish an alliance can help me out. I really dont like returning to this game and not have an alliance.....
  • There's only 20K or so of points in Savage Land and since rubberband is weak, you can't even get 20K points starting from 0 so you likely won't even need that kind of lead. The top 10 is more or less already decided this morning. I don't mind an event where the top placements are settled well in advance but I don't like how your placement is dependent on how little you sleep over the course of the event. Surely we can say change each stack to refresh in 5 hours instead of 2H 24M and I don't see how that's going to cause these huge lead to shrink to nothing. Yes they will become smaller but it'd also be much harder to make up that lead given there are less stacks, so the overall ranking structure should still be easily preserved and it'd be good for everyone, except the guy who doesn't mind not sleeping. I guess for him it's a net loss.
  • ugh almost 50k and..... 5th alliance rejects me..... why does this have to happen to me?

I guess i'll be stuck with 3 blade covers instead of 4..... great... reject the female player why don't ya

Least im still #4 in my bracket..... i feel like i accomplished something on my return...
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't mind an event where the top placements are settled well in advance but I don't like how your placement is dependent on how little you sleep over the course of the event.

I don't know about that... maybe it's because I'm still 2* -> 3* transitioning, but I'm #7 in my bracket, haven't left top 10 since the start of the second day, and I can assure you I don't alter my sleep pattern around a mobile phone game. Have been sleeping easily 7 hours a night, which is... what I normally do. Hasn't made a difference if subs ended while I was asleep or awake.

The nodes are worth so many more points after I sleep, that it doesn't actually seem to make a huge difference to my progress, to miss a refresh or three.
    *shrug*
    Though I have seen the nodes on a more 'advanced' player's game, and I can certainly see how/why this becomes harder the higher up you are. icon_eek.gif

Pamizard wrote:
    ugh almost 50k and..... 5th alliance rejects me..... why does this have to happen to me?
    I guess i'll be stuck with 3 blade covers instead of 4..... great... reject the female player why don't ya

It's because you have a terrible roster, 50k points is a terrible score, your constant whining about an alliance is probably putting people off, and using the "I'm a female" card may have worked in the early 90s, but your gender has absolutely no relevance to this game. Score is key. And your score is awful.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't mind an event where the top placements are settled well in advance but I don't like how your placement is dependent on how little you sleep over the course of the event.

I don't know about that... maybe it's because I'm still 2* -> 3* transitioning, but I'm #7 in my bracket, haven't left top 10 since the start of the second day, and I can assure you I don't alter my sleep pattern around a mobile phone game. Have been sleeping easily 7 hours a night, which is... what I normally do. Hasn't made a difference if subs ended while I was asleep or awake.

The nodes are worth so many more points after I sleep, that it doesn't actually seem to make a huge difference to my progress, to miss a refresh or three.
    *shrug*
    Though I have seen the nodes on a more 'advanced' player's game, and I can certainly see why this is harder the higher up you are. icon_eek.gif

In practice you very rarely have to sacrifice sleep if you want top 10 (so long as you wait a bit to join). Top 2 is typically more cut throat.

EDIT: fixed broken quote blocks.
  • ok maybe i went too far.

I dont have a terrible roster. Ok maybe I do... probably because I've put many months off. I only have three max level characters. I'm not the type of person who can afford to spend alot of my money on this game either (on a tight budget).

And I guess my other problem is that i have some difficulty getting really good cascades. my nodes dont give me much points either.
  • Lystrata wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

*shrug*
    Though I have seen the nodes on a more 'advanced' player's game, and I can certainly see how/why this becomes harder the higher up you are. icon_eek.gif

You don't have someone in #1 or #2 that just totally blows away the competition? The scaling on this event isn't so bad that you can't just brute force and throw boosts at it (versus Unstable Isotope where the 395s can chew you up even if you boosted) so I can easily maintain a complete clear and it's very obvious whoever was at #1 builds a lead each time I had to go to sleep. I'm not trying to get #1 so it doesn't matter but it seems like the wrong kind of behavior to promote. The lead the #1 has over me at #2 in the first day lines up rather neatly with 3 cycle's worth of points which is what you get if you didn't sleep for a day (he's also in my sub so I can see exactly where we stand), and there's literally no other place the extra point could've come from since that was a weekend so I hit every possible refresh every 2H 24M. I'm not saying guys doing that does not deserve to win but it seems like they can cut tone down some of the behavior. At the top 10 range you're looking at more like 'oops that guy had to go to work' which is related to the whole mobile vs Steam issue, though I think it'd be pretty hard to do anything productive while doing an hour worth of playing every 2H 24M unless your job involves being on mass transit half of the time, or people don't care what you do on your job. You can easily change it to something like 4 stacks 1 stack every 6 hours (or 5) and the guys leading the bracket will still comfortably lead the bracket but you wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage for doing anything besides playing this game. Yes this only concern around the top 2 or so, but just like Sentry bombing is still a problem in PvP even if it only concerns a very small portion of players, I don't think encouraging the top 2 to skip sleeping is the right way to go.
  • FierceKiwi wrote:
    Lystrata wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

*shrug*
    Though I have seen the nodes on a more 'advanced' player's game, and I can certainly see why this is harder the higher up you are. icon_eek.gif

In practice you very rarely have to sacrifice sleep if you want top 10 (so long as you wait a bit to join). Top 2 is typically more cut throat.

EDIT: fixed broken quote blocks.

Top 10 doesn't work out well on the schedule for anyone who has to work during the week days.
  • Lystrata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    You don't have someone in #1 or #2 that just totally blows away the competition?

Oh, for sure. No way in hell I'm going to catch #1. But, by the same token, I've only been playing the essentials and the trivial/easy nodes. If they'd been playing the hard/deadly ones as well, then that'd give them a respectable lead over me in the course of 4ish days.

And I'm certainly not saying that top ten is a breeze / you don't have to put effort in. I've been hitting most of the refreshes while awake. My only point was you don't need to sacrifice sleep to stay top 10 (at my level, anyway). What you need to do while awake... that's another matter. icon_e_wink.gif

Edit: And for the record, I'm not arguing in favour of 2.5hr refreshes. I think it's absurd.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Vankysher wrote:
    Wow. That's crazy lucky.

I joined about 2-3 hours after the PvE started and played off and on during the weekend. Only really started grinding late yesterday and currently sit at #17 with 97k. To even break into the top 10 in my bracket, I need to top 112k icon_eek.gif

I'm curious as to how much the brackets vary. I propose a bit of information gathering. I'm going to post the person who is currently at #1 and #10 in my bracket and their point totals - this will give us an idea how much variation the brackets have. The name will let us know if anyone is in the same bracket...

#1 Strongberry 118935
    #10 hamtaro 100595

I'm at 96042, btw.

I'm in the same bracket. *waves*

Strongberry is up to 125335
    #10 (Omegablue14) has 104828

I'm at #7 with 110133
  • Lystrata wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    You don't have someone in #1 or #2 that just totally blows away the competition?

Oh, for sure. No way in hell I'm going to catch #1. But, by the same token, I've only been playing the essentials and the trivial/easy nodes. If they'd been playing the hard/deadly ones as well, then that'd give them a respectable lead over me in the course of 4ish days.

And I'm certainly not saying that top ten is a breeze / you don't have to put effort in. I've been hitting most of the refreshes while awake. My only point was you don't need to sacrifice sleep to stay top 10 (at my level, anyway). What you need to do while awake... that's another matter. icon_e_wink.gif

If you did all the deadly nodes you'll still find that guy is ahead of you by basically the sum of the points of 3 cycles per sub, because he didn't sleep (or maybe another guy was playing for him during that time).

Top 10 doesn't need anything interesting on weekends, but it's a problem on weekdays if you have any other obligation in life. I'm not someone who says people who play more shouldn't deserve to win, but it shouldn't be so heavily biased toward certain kind of behavior. Back when nodes refreshed on a 12 hour cycle, you can usually get away with having other commitments and still put up a respectable score. Yes, the guy who has no commitment is still at an advantage, but it isn't nearly as big. Although people hated the original Heroic Oscorp, I think that should be a model of how playing pattern is established. It was an event on the standard 12H refresh with no rubberbanding so at first everyone figured it's going to go to some ultra hardcore grinder, but since it also set the bar for some of the craziest scaling ever (relative to player strength), you end up being unable to grind even if you wanted to so it's more about strategizing what nodes you can possibly beat on a 12 hour cycle and try to maximize the number of total points in a limited number of games, and competition was pretty tight in my bracket but it never felt like going to sleep or work put you irrecoverably behind due to the very long cycle time (by today's standards). Sure, it does have a negative effect, but if you plotted out your nodes carefully in the 12 hour period you can greatly reduce the damage of having a life, and I think that was a very good thing.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Pamizard wrote:
    Yeah i usually am one who dislikes the hunt, especially savage land, which has the more harder nodes for me. I am doing my best to stay where I am, now I'm rank 4

I'm hoping the next PvE is better for me. Maybe Blade will be involved in the next PvE as well as having his own PvP event in the season (which i was avoiding when i shouldnt have, because i dont have many other high level heroes to use in both sections.

That's a given. The new character will always be both boosted and the required character for the next PvE. At some point near that PvE, there will be a PvP that rewards the new character & following that a PvP featuring the new character.

Because they usually do those at the same time, I often find myself pushing in the PvE to reach the Progression cover for the character in time to use it during the PvP, but those goals sometimes conflict.
    Sure, but they usually only release new characters every other pve, so it's usually a old character boosted for a new release pve. Or you at least have time to get some covers from the pvp reward a couple tournaments after the new release happens
  • papa07 wrote:
    papa07 wrote:
    papa07 wrote:
    This bracket will likely be open for at least 20 hours, if not the duration. Will keep you posted on status but this may be as good as it gets for the event.

Bracket update

At close of Alaska: 310
    Current: 587

Bracket has been open for 16hr15minutes, which is 36 people per hour. At that pace, it will fill with about 2 and a half hours to go.

However, the past 10 hours have filled at 28 per hour. At that pace, we will finish with 975 in the bracket.

If you are still waiting, that's a tough choice

Current: 728

Last 4 hours have filled at 35 per hour, if they continue at that pace, this bracket will fill around the 2 hour and 15 minute mark.

Just hit 1000. Fresh bracket for the super late joiners
  • 1 monstercod 77204
    10 bonkeykong 52274

Pretty respectable for a bracket that opened with 6 hours left in alaska yesterday
  • Lystrata
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If you did all the deadly nodes you'll still find that guy is ahead of you by basically the sum of the points of 3 cycles per sub, because he didn't sleep (or maybe another guy was playing for him during that time).

#1, possibly. The rest... nah. There's only 17k difference between #2 and #10, which would easily have been achieved by hitting an extra 10ish nodes every refresh. 7k between #3 and #10. It isn't particularly spread out. So either I'm in a bracket of relatively sane people who all sleep, or... sleeping doesn't affect things all that much.

Though I still agree with the rest, 2.5 hour refreshes are way too frequent.
  • When is everyone starting their last clear/grind? I'm on the top10 bubble and am afraid of getting rubberbaned out of the top 10... How long does it take you to grind them all down?
  • When is everyone starting their last clear/grind? I'm on the top10 bubble and am afraid of getting rubberbaned out of the top 10... How long does it take you to grind them all down?

Rubberband is practically irrelevent in this event and getting another 80% or 60% of a juicy node easily outweights any rubberbanding. This is assuming the scaling remains low enough for you to hit the best nodes more than once. At the very least you should never leave the points on the 2 goon only node on the essential/hard track until it's down to 40% or less (depending on how much point you need to stay in top 10) since that's just free points. Every other node on the hard/essential track has a nontrivial amount risk so it's a judgment call.

well as many nodes as i can until i can't anymore (healing packs i use are gone or my heroes have to heal longer) Then I"ll just have to watch and hope I can hang on to my spot.

Then its back to full throttle PvP. I have alot of catching up to do for Season 7, If i want to get much better. Still going from 2* to 3*