'Marvel Puzzle Quest' 1-Year Anniversary Celebration!

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lidolas wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Think Gaming gives numbers for the iOS platform only. Android is not counted. So the daily gross is not that number.

Each shield hop costs 108 HP (75 shield + 33 rainbow). There must be around 10 hops / PvP (at least), that's 1080 HP / PvP / player. There must be around 300 players doing this per event. That's 324 000 HP. Health packs are not massively used IMO.

HP earned per Event is 200 HP per player.

Net gross : 324 000 - 60 000 : 264 000 HP : $ 1320 per event. 3 events a week, 52 weeks : $205 920

There are lots of companies which would be very happy to earn that amount of money each year on digital products...

Now, covers sold for a new 3* character. Same 300 players buying the missing covers. That's 5 (minimum) :

300 * 5 * 1250 = $9300, twice a month, 12 months : $ 223 000

Shield hopping and covers are about the same gross.

Disclaimer : if you think the calculation is wrong, please elaborate and avoid bashing icon_e_smile.gif

The bolded part needs to be changed. An individual without an alliance can earn 200 hp in an event. Top 50 alliances get an extra 100, and more up higher. PvE subs and main events have been handing out hp also.

I don't use the rainbow boosts to hop. Only the ones that can be bought with iso. 10 hops is also a lot. Plenty of players are getting to 1300 on 2-4 shields. A lot of players are still economical and try to stay HP neutral or positive on an event. I've still never spent money on the game, yet use HP for shields all the time.
  • Celebrate!
  • For players to estimate stuff like revenue breakdown it becomes a Fermi Problem. And while when your professor tells you this problem it seems like logic totally works, that's because he already knows the answer and can massage his estimates to look like he knows what he's talking about. Of course I remember when we were assigned a similar problem like 'how many coffin shops are in Chicago' we get numbers that'd indicate Chicago happened to be a site of a massive zombie invasion but hey, the numbers we came up with sure seems totally legit too until you get to the results. In general looking at stuff like the Fermi Paradox (why haven't we contacted our aliens if our math about the existence of aliens is so sound) tells us that even very intelligent people often have no idea what the heck they're talking about when all your calculation is based on guesses.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    For players to estimate stuff like revenue breakdown it becomes a Fermi Problem. And while when your professor tells you this problem it seems like logic totally works, that's because he already knows the answer and can massage his estimates to look like he knows what he's talking about. Of course I remember when we were assigned a similar problem like 'how many coffin shops are in Chicago' we get numbers that'd indicate Chicago happened to be a site of a massive zombie invasion but hey, the numbers we came up with sure seems totally legit too until you get to the results. In general looking at stuff like the Fermi Paradox (why haven't we contacted our aliens if our math about the existence of aliens is so sound) tells us that even very intelligent people often have no idea what the heck they're talking about when all your calculation is based on guesses.

Wait, you mean making statements based on assumptions isn't how to win an argument on a forum? You don't say... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • stevenbrule
    stevenbrule Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Just wanted to say that the Anniversary Celebration has been great! Really solid work with this!
  • Just wanted to say that the Anniversary Celebration has been great! Really solid work with this!

Agreed! This is going to be a fun and rewarding week!

Kudos to the devs.

Going to play my **** off!
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I'll say that the celebration as a whole is actually looking pretty good now that it's out. Double ISO is great for sure. One thing I'm disappointed about is that they did not announce the HP/ISO sale in advance. As a result I ended up buying some HP beforehand when I probably would have waited otherwise.

I know they don't have to announce these and it's nice that they even put sales on. Still, it feels pretty **** for that to happen, especially when sales for the anniversary were specifically asked about in a thread that community managers were obviously reading through and responding to. They just chose not to respond, since announcing a sale beforehand could mean lost revenue, I suppose?

Also a bit disappointed that the "small token" was literally one token. People like free stuff. Only thing people like more, is more free stuff. Yes, we have plenty of opportunities to earn the anniversary prizes, but even more than that, we have plenty of opportunities to BUY the anniversary prizes. At the end of the day, it still feels more like a great opportunity to BUY MORE STUFF, rather than something which is focused on giving back to the community.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,327 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alright, time for me to eat some crow. It is true that there were some communication issues about the delivery of the anniversary stuff which caused misled expectations. However, now that it has arrived, I have to say they did a good job to make it exciting, novel and rewarding. Props!
  • That Anniversary 10-pack keeps tempting me even though I KNOW it's a bad deal

You're a cunning temptress d3p, but I will resist your wiles
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Ugh. 7 anniversary tokens in, nothing but **. icon_e_sad.gif
  • I actually got a She Hulk, but no Dino yet, and I pulled like 10 tokens already. icon_e_sad.gif I guess there is always the progression reward and the DP event reward
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I've had 5 or 6 tokens so far. All 2* and a Purple Dino.

Not so impressed overall but within statistics, etc. etc.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2014
    Nellobee wrote:
    Ugh. 7 anniversary tokens in, nothing but **. icon_e_sad.gif

10+ tokens and nothing but 2* trash here as well.

Demiurge can keep their Devil Dinosaur and stuff him where the sun doesn't shine.
    The terrible drop rate and the fact that he's going away after this event has completely spoiled him.

The only good thing about this event is the doubled ISO rate, which quite frankly is close to what the normal rate in the game should be, instead of the ISO starved status quo.
    Color me thoroughly unimpressed with this anniversary event.
  • yogi_
    They should have given a minimum "here have a something that's not a token".

There is theoretically nothing stopping a random person getting thousands of HP and ISO and high level covers over a week and another getting only 2* covers, though obviously the bulk will fall between these two extremes.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    There is theoretically nothing stopping a random person getting thousands of HP and ISO and high level covers over a week and another getting only 2* covers, though obviously the bulk will fall between these two extremes.
    That can be quite effectively combatted by guaranteeing an actual worthwhile drop every X tokens. Other games have included that type of "insurance drop" before without adverse effects to game economy. No reason the same cannot be done here.
  • gamar wrote:
    That Anniversary 10-pack keeps tempting me even though I KNOW it's a bad deal

I'm mildly tempted, too, but there's an almost 100% chance 5,000 ISO would be better spent buying the covers I want directly.
  • yogi_
    _RiO_ wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:
    That can be quite effectively combatted by guaranteeing an actual worthwhile drop every X tokens. Other games have included that type of "insurance drop" before without adverse effects to game economy. No reason the same cannot be done here.

I am not familar with this insurance drop concept but does sound like a useful one and one clearly they did not consider.

What they probably should / could have done is given everyone a 1/1/1 Devil Dino spread over the week. It would have been genuinely generous and even not had him in tokens if they wanted to limit him - this would be fair and even for all players rather than a fancy version of the norm which statistically speaking is going to be amazing for some people and pretty shthouse for others (as we've seen across this thread).
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    That Anniversary 10-pack keeps tempting me even though I KNOW it's a bad deal

I'm mildly tempted, too, but there's an almost 100% chance 5,000 ISO would be better spent buying the covers I want directly.

You got me excited there for a moment. Thought they were selling 10 packs for iso! Lol
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,327 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

I am not familar with this insurance drop concept but does sound like a useful one and one clearly they did not consider.

What they probably should / could have done is given everyone a 1/1/1 Devil Dino spread over the week. It would have been genuinely generous and even not had him in tokens if they wanted to limit him - this would be fair and even for all players rather than a fancy version of the norm which statistically speaking is going to be amazing for some people and pretty shthouse for others (as we've seen across this thread).

They will be giving each cover of Dino in daily rewards for days 365, 366 and 367.
  • ctboy03
    ctboy03 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Can somebody tell me how to use this?