*** Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) ***

Options

Comments

• dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gamora's tiles never seem to last, its a really expensive skill and doesn't create as many as say Falcon. That and they're all on the same color so they end up getting matched away a lot. Falcon/Cmags/Storm (Blade when he gets out of control) are the only ones who I would consider flooding the board.

*I guess you could add Professor X to the list, he's pretty annoying with Devil Dino
  • dkffiv wrote:
    Gamora's tiles never seem to last, its a really expensive skill and doesn't create as many as say Falcon. That and they're all on the same color so they end up getting matched away a lot. Falcon/Cmags/Storm (Blade when he gets out of control) are the only ones who I would consider flooding the board.

*I guess you could add Professor X to the list, he's pretty annoying with Devil Dino

They don't last because she doesn't have yellow as her active color so you're likely to have them matched because you didn't need to match yellow while creating them.
  • It might be the teams I run him with, but I prefer him 5/5/3; I usually have something better to use my Green AP on. His blue has become randomly good for dealing with special tiles, while 3=>5 green gets me about an extra +50 boost on a special tile, 1 extra turn stun, 1 Green AP steal, and 400 team damage.

Black is his most consistent ability, I can't see having less than 5 in that. I agree that he is a niche player. If I'm not dealing with special tiles, I'm not bringing him to the battle, and wouldn't even if he were 3/5/5.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has anyone gotten a chance to use his Blue against Ultron's falling bomb tiles? Are they affected or do they just move? Also doe they count for his black when matching?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If you run 5 blue you pigeon hole him into only a counter to C.Mags, Storm, Falcon. The only problem I have with this is you have to wait for their skills to go off to use it, that's what I don't like. Sure you can almost 1 shot 4hor if Storm uses Hailstorm and you follow up with Doc Ock, but here's to your arguement.

Short of the Simulator or Gauntlet, when do you go against Storm or Falcon. Magneto does have his brotherhood PvE so you may use him there, but there are 5 characters I can think of that liter the board with special tiles following their skill.

C.Mags
    Storm
    Falcon
    Iron Man 1*
    Gamora

Most of the time you will see Daken and Bullseye and 5 blue is going to be a waste, you are better served matching those away and getting strike tiles. If you opt 5/4/4 I can get that as you are saying you value blue more than anything but like I said before DO is a 4/4/4 build with only 1 optional. The only other not 4/4/4 build I could argue for is 3/5/5 but with so many characters firing out defensive tiles nowadays I don't know

You can add Ultron sentries to the list.... Doc Oct blue would be great against all those special tiles on board.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    You can add Ultron sentries to the list.... Doc Oct blue would be great against all those special tiles on board.

Good lord, is he ever. icon_eek.gif Doc Ock has absolutely been my MVP against these Ultron sentries. I regret switching from 4/4/5 to 3/5/5 when a black cover came up recently in the daily... I'm going to switch back to 4/4/5 ASAP so he can grab protect tiles too.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Has anyone gotten a chance to use his Blue against Ultron's falling bomb tiles? Are they affected or do they just move? Also doe they count for his black when matching?

I would like to know this as well. I was tempted to put some iso towards the good doctor for the Ultron event but decided to wait for the iso changed to take place first.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    atomzed wrote:

Good lord, is he ever. icon_eek.gif Doc Ock has absolutely been my MVP against these Ultron sentries. I regret switching from 4/4/5 to 3/5/5 when a black cover came up recently in the daily... I'm going to switch back to 4/4/5 ASAP so he can grab protect tiles too.

Yup, Doc Ock is a 4/4/4 minimum the 5th can go wherever but you should have at least 4 covers on all of his skills
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Yup, Doc Ock is a 4/4/4 minimum the 5th can go wherever but you should have at least 4 covers on all of his skills

100% agree.

I've been using him alongside Patch, firing off Ock's blue after 1 or 2 Berserker Rage... very effective at clearing the purple enemy strike tiles away.
  • Waylander73
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Ultron's tiles don't move but they do count for his black when matching, have been using Octavius all the time in this event Vs Ultron and the Sentries.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've decided (Thank you Phantron) that 5/4/4 is probably going to be the strongest build. Here's why, feel free to shred.

Green: I honestly beleive you need 4 here, that 2 turn stun is huge in Heroic, the upgrade of the AP steal and the extra 391 AoE seems small but I can't argue if someone likes it.

Black: The difference is this. 3 to 4 = 52 more damage per turn. 4 to 5 104 more dmg per turn. I still think 2 tiles weaker are better than 1 tile stronger, but I could see a 5/3/5 build.

Blue: This is expensive, yes, this isn't guarenteed, yes, but this was unreal against Ultron and works well against the Hand as well, plus I think we are going to see much more for Ultron bots. Blue represents a KO. You get 5 tiles, boom, 5k dmg. black will bleed them but blue can kill them.

So I'm 5/4/4, I could even swing 5/3/5 but I would rather have black doing more dmg than a lame green AoE.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, the way I see it is Doctor Octopus is never going to be my go to guy for anything except on a gimmick fight, and on a gimmick fight like Ultron Prime, Manipulation at 5 can win the game for you while his other abilities cannot.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Green: I honestly beleive you need 4 here, that 2 turn stun is huge in Heroic, the upgrade of the AP steal and the extra 391 AoE seems small but I can't argue if someone likes it.
    If they stick with Heroics only allowing heroes, Doctor Octopus will never be allowed in a Heroic. (That might change with the multi-character weekly boost.) Green just gets marginal boost going from 3 to 5 covers, so I can't justify it at the expense of one of his other skills.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here is my 2 cents for those considering his build:

I feel there are 2 options for this character, you can either let his specialization (tile removal) shine and go 5/5/3, or you can make his green viable. I say viable because I don't feel like it is that great. If I need a green AOE I will take out Thor, Kamala or even Beast who can do it better.

What I don't have is someone who can rip apart tile creators, and he does it incredibly well. Do you want to throw that away for a moderately good green when we have plenty of options already? icon_e_wink.gif

Yes, I am looking to the Ultron event too. He tears those minons up, and they are the hardest part of that entire event. Pair him up with Squirrel Girl who also specializes against those Ultron minions and you will have easy sailing through that event. Sign me up.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sorry if I'm late to the topic but is there a reason why docs black doesn't fire off when you match a trap tile? How is that not considered an "enemy special tile?" If it isn't coded as such, could we just get the list explicitly stated of what it'll proc for?

Just played against doctor doom, matched a people with his trap on it (i know because of the diabolical plot notification whenever you do) and nothing happened.

I almost asked about web tiles too but they aren't technically "enemy" tiles per say since they can be used for either side.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    orbitalint wrote:
    Sorry if I'm late to the topic but is there a reason why docs black doesn't fire off when you match a trap tile? How is that not considered an "enemy special tile?" If it isn't coded as such, could we just get the list explicitly stated of what it'll proc for?

Just played against doctor doom, matched a people with his trap on it (i know because of the diabolical plot notification whenever you do) and nothing happened.

I almost asked about web tiles too but they aren't technically "enemy" tiles per say since they can be used for either side.

Pretty much any time you see "special" tiles in a description the only tiles that are currently included are: protect, strike, attack, countdown, invisibility, and now Ultron bomb tiles. Web tiles, charged tiles, and trap tiles are not included but I totally agree they need to make the change to have abilities like Doc Ock black and Falcon blue activate against trap tiles.
  • ApocryphicV
    ApocryphicV Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So with the onset of Carnage, Doc Ock might finally have his moment to shine. With Carnage's black going off constantly no matter what, it causes a lot of enemy tiles to flood the screen, couple this with Doc matching them and turning them into attack tiles with his black passive and his blue which now has many targets to choose from so you are pretty much guaranteed to get some decent damage. My Ock is only 105 but he is already doing work in the Carnage's essential nodes in Prodigal Sun. I highly recommend giving them a try.
  • Unknown
    Options
    john1620b wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If they stick with Heroics only allowing heroes, Doctor Octopus will never be allowed in a Heroic. (That might change with the multi-character weekly boost.) Green just gets marginal boost going from 3 to 5 covers, so I can't justify it at the expense of one of his other skills.

I didn't play Juggs heroic due to account being down at the time but the one before that had Sentry as a reinforcement hero. Seems Villians won't ever be "featured" throughout but Doc Ock could make an appearance as a support character.
    Dauthi wrote:
    Here is my 2 cents for those considering his build:

I feel there are 2 options for this character, you can either let his specialization (tile removal) shine and go 5/5/3, or you can make his green viable. I say viable because I don't feel like it is that great. If I need a green AOE I will take out Thor, Kamala or even Beast who can do it better.

What I don't have is someone who can rip apart tile creators, and he does it incredibly well. Do you want to throw that away for a moderately good green when we have plenty of options already? icon_e_wink.gif

Yes, I am looking to the Ultron event too. He tears those minons up, and they are the hardest part of that entire event. Pair him up with Squirrel Girl who also specializes against those Ultron minions and you will have easy sailing through that event. Sign me up.
    So with the onset of Carnage, Doc Ock might finally have his moment to shine. With Carnage's black going off constantly no matter what, it causes a lot of enemy tiles to flood the screen, couple this with Doc matching them and turning them into attack tiles with his black passive and his blue which now has many targets to choose from so you are pretty much guaranteed to get some decent damage. My Ock is only 105 but he is already doing work in the Carnage's essential nodes in Prodigal Sun. I highly recommend giving them a try.

So here's the thing. Carnage already has special tile handling. On green no less, to compensate for Doc's terrible green. Between the two of them you have Blue/Green special destruction, both black passives turning out special tiles like crazy, and a Red "I win" button. Add in any Purple/Black user, like Doom for even more attack tile fun, and you have a pretty crazy team. I can see Doc picking up a niche roll as Carnage supporter, but it absolutely requires 5 blueflag.png .
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As it stands right now, 4/4/4 on Doc Ock does feel like the absolute minimum for the character which is completely not okay. He needs a bit more of a tweak and is clearly underpowered.

He is a great counter against some characters like Storm who flood the field with multiple tiles with the potential to 1HKO those characters with his blue. Unfortunately the issue likes in that there aren't a lot of characters who flood the field he'd actually be good at running up against with an 11 AP blueflag.png. Those characters generally flood the board at lower AP cost or through passives and needs 4 matches to handle that? Yeah, not a good idea. 9 AP would have been an ideal cost for this because we have next to nothing in terms of blue generation.

His blackflag.png, I actually don't have a problem with it but it conflicts with what I said with his 4/4/4 minimal. 4 covers give you two weak tiles that may at least last a bit per match and 5 covers give you about the baseline for where attack tiles tend to start for other characters. Going 5 covers means you lose out on almost twice the damage on blueflag.png or a small, almost insignificant, boost on his green.

His greenflag.png... I can't get jiggy with this. Skill skill has to many properties and I think the developers though that it made sense for the cost. It's 12 AP, not so much of an problem. Does more base damage than Gamora's, can't complain. Random stuns 1 person, um... Drains Green AP... uh... Strengths friendly tiles... what? That's just to much for one ability that isn't Avenger's Assemble. This skill feels like it has no direction and the only reason it does all this is for thematic reasons. His 4 mechanical arms. It boggles my mind to the point where I can't even suggest what to do here without removing an effect or 2 just to make the other effects stronger.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mine is sitting at 5/4/4 and today I just pulled another black.

I am tempted to go 5-5-3 (just because I'm a sucker for passive powers), though it's obvious that green would experience a massive downgrade from going to 4 to 3 (to the point of being unusable, probably)... please, confirm that this is a stupid idea (but as someone said, with the introduction of Carnage 5-5-3 could be a viable choice), and that I should just cash in the ISO!