Earth's Mightiest 15 - 17 Sep

Options

Comments

• vudu3 wrote:
    As one of the aforementioned 'sniping jerks', I care. icon_evil.gif

Absolutely nope. icon_lol.gif You don't do anything to affect on this situation. If ppl really care about something — they something do.
  • OTERSEY wrote:
    ab54ab431b60377a1e19c1b597607651514a52166670e22e13825749a3cea5c3.jpg

My fan club cares. I'm sorry I don't have an official website or twitter feed yet so for now I'll just have to post all my very interesting updates here. I hope you can understand.
  • Hit 900 exactly and I'm pretty much done. Got everything I wanted out of it, and it's highly unlikely I'll drop below getting a icon_storm.pngblackflag.png cover. I'll probably play a couple more in the morning just to touch back up if I've been hit a lot, but I'm going to go unshielded throughout.

Did the heavy lifting with icon_blackpanther.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_thor.png, but have now swapped in icon_captainamerica.png for icon_falcon.png.
  • I wish I could hit 900... Just over 800 and now I hit the wall of unbeatable opponents for me anyway. If I had more iso to pump into people.
  • This event highlights the good and the bad of the balance. The good is that there's definitely a lot of variety. The bad is that since most of these teams are awfully close in power this means you don't get to have too many fights. Let's take a pretty standard power team: icon_blackpanther.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_thor.png . There is no obvious counter from this lineup, and if you're going to put guys like icon_hood.png that just shows how broken he is when you'd use a 166 guy to try to stop 3X332 guys. While this team isn't particularly fast, it's awfully hard to stop all 6 colors of powerful moves that this team can deliver. There's pretty much a move on every color besides red that can cripple anyone, and some of them can cripple an entire team. Fighting against this team while starting with low health can lead to an instant KO since there's plenty of moves that'd take out half of someone's health. So if you fought such a team (and I did) a few times you'll soon be out of health packs. I guess you could switch to some other guys instead, but there's no team I can think of that has a significant matchup advantage using the Avengers roster and you still have to worry about defense. This means you'll likely have very few games played per session due to the heavy drain on health packs. Now I guess you can just play many session over the course of two days, but I'm not sure playing PvP like PvE (instead of once every 2H 24M it'd be about once every 3 hours for 5 health pack) is a good idea, especially since you still need shields to deal with the counterattacks at some point so it's not clear if putting all that much effort is worth it.

This is the second event I can think of where matchups are truly fair in offense versus defense but truly fair matches take a long time to get anywhere and is very ugly on health packs. The only other event I can think of that's as fair as this is DA only (and that was before there was Sentry or Daken 3*). Balance of Power/Combined Arms is equal in terms of roster composition but it's still heavily offense favored. Sentry + Hood would easily be able to bomb the other level 270 teams to oblivion. I prefer this kind of matchup but they really need to rethink how the health pack situation looks like too, and not turn it into something where whoever bought more shields/health packs/boosts won. Yes PvP is always like that, but in the offense dominated matches you can get pretty far before you need shields.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did I miss a memo and shielding became out of style? Over the course of the last day I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people in the top 10 of my bracket shielding? Ok, it's up to 6 out of the top 10 now, but it seems like people are going a lot more casual at this event. I'm not even getting bombarded with retaliations or random attacks (I'm sure I'll wake up to a few hundred point loss since I'm not shielding.)
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    Did I miss a memo and shielding became out of style? Over the course of the last day I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people in the top 10 of my bracket shielding? Ok, it's up to 6 out of the top 10 now, but it seems like people are going a lot more casual at this event. I'm not even getting bombarded with retaliations or random attacks (I'm sure I'll wake up to a few hundred point loss since I'm not shielding.)

People might be more casual but I'd think the reduction in attacks is due to offense being unusually even in this game, people aren't exactly that aggressive compared to normal. Remember that the inability to win quickly with boosts will create a negative feedback on boosting in the first place, because you're only running the AP+3 all boosts for the purpose of winning quickly. This is unlikely in a matchup where Sentry can't bomb the opposition to oblivion, and Avengers are too slow even with the max boosts to quickly bomb another standard power team.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    I simply don't have the team/buff team to get past any 3 12K+ health team, which is all that I am seeing past 600-ish

The only thing I don't know is if I should shield for the remainder or just load a BagDevil team and take my lumps....

I'll edit this if I tank, so U all know who to hit.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I tried to play without stress too: it's the between-season break after all!
    I spent the whole night unshielded above 800.
    This morning I have lost nearly 50 pts. yeah this time point loss was higher than def wins icon_e_wink.gif but honestly usually I would have expected to lose many more points!

nice icon_cool.gif
  • Wow this tournament is trash. Every team has level 330ish Hulk on it, and the AI's bonus to cascade rates means they're going to destroy you in about 5-10 turns.

I just want to win something without dedicating my life to this game.
  • Phantron wrote:
    This is unlikely in a matchup where Sentry can't bomb the opposition to oblivion, and Avengers are too slow even with the max boosts to quickly bomb another standard power team.

Orly? icon_sentry.png / icon_blackpanther.png — 1g, 1y, 2 b= game over

Nobody survive after Rage of Panter after WR after Battle Plan even on 4 yellow covers icon_lol.gif
  • Shielded for the duration at 800, if that helps anybody.I could use the yellow, in a sense, but the lousy end time means it's not worth the bother.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I got to 800 and I'm not going to shield so hit away if you feel the need. I only need two black covers anyway.

I feel like being generous after RNGesus presented me with this as a starting board:
    2014-09-17_00001_mini.jpg
    (Click on it to expand if you need to)

Wolvie got smooshed by repeated hammer blows before I finished my first turn icon_lol.gif
  • gambl0r312
    gambl0r312 Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Got to 1311 on a Retal Win (?) when I had to stop @ 1298 for a breather & Health packs, so I am now done with this tourney!

Got my Fury! Good luck ppl & Fire away if you've got me in nodes
  • I got above 1100 with a lineup of Hulk, Panther, and Lazycap, then shielded for the remainder.

Given my bracket, I'm currently in top 2 and highly unlikely to drop out of the top 5.
  • Sheesh, I thought I had #1 wrapped up then comes along racanpa to boot me out of that slot and climb another 200+ points, and Slobofix hot on his heals doing the same.

Guess I'll have to settel for a top 5 ending.

On a side note has anyone heard of KungFuRaptor? he was the one I was talking about in another thread, he is currently sitting at #4 18 points behind me. Maxed characters include 2 icon_nickfury.png , 1 icon_beast.png , 2 Steve Rodgers icon_captainamerica.png , 1 icon_caroldanvers.png , 1 icon_deadpool.png , 1 icon_spiderman.png , 1 icon_storm.png , 2 icon_punisher.png , 2 icon_thor.png

Seems a bit excessive.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    icon_e_sad.gif I got an X-Men at #2 in my back since I'm bracket leader. He has a max covered X-Force but I doubt he's gonna let me keep that #1 spot. I need that green. I might have to HP to Victory on this one.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    :( I got an X-Men at #2 in my back since I'm bracket leader. He has a max covered X-Force but I doubt he's gonna let me keep that #1 spot. I need that green. I might have to HP to Victory on this one.

I'm in the same spot. My two chasers both have Xforce maxed, but I need the green. Hope they get Fury and stop.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    :( I got an X-Men at #2 in my back since I'm bracket leader. He has a max covered X-Force but I doubt he's gonna let me keep that #1 spot. I need that green. I might have to HP to Victory on this one.

I'm in the same spot. My two chasers both have Xforce maxed, but I need the green. Hope they get Fury and stop.
    .....they got fury maxed as well.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Much more modest line-up than you lot, shielded when I was in the mid-60s but dropping badly now. Down to 91st. Have finally managed to line up (what looks like) a comfortable enough win but never shield hopped before and can see it going horribly wrong. Concerned I'd be throwing good hp after bad, particularly when MoStorm ain't exactly an a-list 3* character.

What should I do, wise forum, stick or twist? And just how late do I leave it?