Weekly Tournament - Avengers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Misguided wrote:

He was up to 900, and I had no one to attack worth points that wasn't named Forgrim, TheLadder, walkyourpath, etc.

Yeah, saw nothing towards the end but high level forum-goers like you, Forgrim, TheLadder, Nick Fury, etc. Got a good bracket draw though, so I was able to get and hold a lead at the end without having to hit any of my brethren here! Just held my breath and hoped none of you all needed the points enough to tag me, or if you did that DamageSponge MK40 might discourage you in favor of lower health targets. icon_cool.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dunno about anyone else, but a maxed Thor or wolvie was more of a deterrent than a im40
  • Spoit wrote:
    I dunno about anyone else, but a maxed Thor or wolvie was more of a deterrent than a im40

Yeah, IM40 is so slow that I always leave him for last. And at that point, his high HP doesn't even do much good since I have enough AP to start comboing through powers.
    As someone upthread mentioned, I'd much rather eat his unibeam than 2 of Thor's hammers.
  • Spoit wrote:

I'd much rather take on a max Thor or Wolvie than a 100+ IM40, just because of health. Not that any of them are really a deterrent.

Ok, admittedly, getting combo'd by Thor yellow and red (why, oh why does the AI always do it in that order?) is annoying. But unless it actually kills my Wolvie then it doesn't matter to me.
  • What Zathrus said - it's not about worrying that IM40 is going to take you down, it's about how long it takes you to down him. In the last 10 minutes of a tourney, that can be critical. Wharrrlgarbl is right that once you get enough AP rolling you can take him down easily, but it's the extra time it takes you to accumulate that AP that makes the difference.

Many players at the end of a tourney would rather fight two 15 pt. targets that they know they can take down in 5 minutes each with 10 min to go, than attack IM40 team for 23 pts. and maybe take 7 min to finish and not be sure if they can start/finish another fight in the last 3 min. A guaranteed 30 pts. or a guaranteed 23 with an unlikely chance at another 10-12 points.

Depending on team strength and lay of the board those time estimates (and point values) would vary wildly, but you get where I'm going. If having him on the field deters even one person from attacking at the end, he's well worth what you sacrifice in attack speed (compared to Thor) to me. Wolvie's tiles are a more reliable source of damage anyway.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Got up to 400 and now I'm tanking for a bit

My bracket doesn't have any noticable names so I'm expecting another 2-5 finish; after I hit 50k in Hulk (45784 right now), I'll have a 3/3/5 Punisher by the end of this tournament <3
  • Got 1st in a pretty easy bracket. My Punisher is @ 4/3/3, will be 4/3/4 when I get red cover from Hulk event, 4k points away. Will be aiming to get rank 1-5 for this Avengers tournament to finish off Punisher @ 5/3/5 and never touch him. His skills is meh, rather use my Thor or Wolvie. Sad to see my first *** 13/13 cover will be the Punisher. LoL, Punisher... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Same as you guys. Sitting at #1 with 500 with a midrange team with 79 thor 70 spidey and 50 im40 without any names in the bracket. Hoping to get #1 again to get another IW and get punisher to 4/3/3
  • I'm frustrated.

I keep seeing the same 20 guys with nobody scoring past 450.

I end up pounding on one or 2 guys (not easy, as they both run Max Thor/100+ Spidey/Wolverine or BWGS or IM40.

I pull away, getting close to 500 points then one retaliation takes away 30 points.

I don't know what to do.
  • With such a format, and us being able to only see many lower ranked opponents, and being attacked down for net negative points in the end due to many of them being able to "see" us a couple hundred points up, I wonder how can the 1100> progression awards be attained, even with a steady grind.

*shrugs*

Hoping that there can be more realistic Tourney progression awards in the future, or the matchmaking being changed and we being able to see more opponents in about the same points (50 points difference thereabout), so getting the awards can be challenging yet attainable.
  • You have to do it "fast" and and get to it in one go, steady grinding doesn't work to get the high progression awards.
  • You have to do it "fast" and and get to it in one go, steady grinding doesn't work to get the high progression awards.

This is what I did at first, and I would've done better than top-45 had I played more in the last hour (I only was able to play the last 30 minutes).

But in the 2nd tourney, after blitzing to 400, I was pretty much stuck there. In the previous one, I broke through to 900 and was knocked down to 400 and never got back despite ranking 1st until the very last hour.

It's like I was limited to low-scorers only matches. This is strange given how I placed better than 50th place in the last 5 tourneys including Lightning rounds and am currently ranked 27th in Shield Training.

I'm stumped.

This is what I did at first, and I would've done better than top-45 had I played more in the last hour (I only was able to play the last 30 minutes).

But in the 2nd tourney, after blitzing to 400, I was pretty much stuck there. In the previous one, I broke through to 900 and was knocked down to 400 and never got back despite ranking 1st until the very last hour.

It's like I was limited to low-scorers only matches. This is strange given how I placed better than 50th place in the last 5 tourneys including Lightning rounds and am currently ranked 27th in Shield Training.

I'm stumped.

Yeah, I dunno how people are doing it in this one. I haven't tried myself but retaining points was definitely easier in previous ones.
  • So far the only (forum) name I recognize in my bracket is Frozen. Dunno if he's gunning for first or just top 5. I don't care that much either; if it was a yellow IW or any Wolverine then I'd care more.

Maybe for the New Year we'll get 4*s that don't suck so badly.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    So far the only (forum) name I recognize in my bracket is Frozen. Dunno if he's gunning for first or just top 5. I don't care that much either; if it was a yellow IW or any Wolverine then I'd care more.

Maybe for the New Year we'll get 4*s that don't suck so badly.

I'm gunning for 1st. I want to try to max IW for the lulz as the kids would say.
  • How the friggin' hell do all these people get 5 blue Spidey covers? Almost every Spidey I meet in this tourney ( be it lvl 40 or lvl 140) has the 2 AP stun. Need to use 3 boosts to burst them down before the game even begins. Mostly versus a Thor and a Wolvie. I don't like this tourney. At all.
  • All my HP I save to buy Spidey blue covers and Red Rags. Don't waste them on cover pulls.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was ridiculously lucky with Classic Spidey pulls. I got a few Spidey covers (including blue) from tokens I received playing through the prologue. By the time I maxed out Thor with covers, I had Spidey halfway done. Was able to get most of his other covers from events.

Ragnarok and the other *** villians, on the other hand, forget about it. I only just got my first Ragnarok cover recently from the daily reward.

I'm stumped.

yeah this tourney is a slog... would love 1100 bc I need spidey blue but impossible. I just got hit for -41 and -47 and would inly get 5 and 6 pts for my retaliation back. I dont have the energy to go for 800 even.
  • f3nfire wrote:
    How the friggin' hell do all these people get 5 blue Spidey covers? Almost every Spidey I meet in this tourney ( be it lvl 40 or lvl 140) has the 2 AP stun. Need to use 3 boosts to burst them down before the game even begins. Mostly versus a Thor and a Wolvie. I don't like this tourney. At all.

I pulled one or two from tokens (won, not purchased). The rest I won in tournaments -- Bad is Good and Doctor is In as I recall.

There have been a couple of times when you could buy a pack that had a guaranteed Spidey. There was a very, very early tournament (like week 3) that had it for 500 HP as I recall... which I was at least 50 HP short on. Good thing in the long run, since I needed that HP for cover slots. The most recent guaranteed cover was 1100 HP.