Blatant cheat - AKN

Options
1235»

Comments

• franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To start off here, I'm no longer an X-men. I left MPQ a couple days ago and you'll prolly never hear from me again after the next day or 2. So let's just air some things out here.

Francky - you are so full of tinykitty it isn't funny.

Francky + every1 else - you are arguments are ridiculous. 1 person throws in a tank team on a random pvp, and suddenly all x-men are using tank teams that any1 can beat on every shield hop? Absurd. Somethings happens once or twice and you act like it's the norm. You can't take an example that happens 1/1000 cases and act like it's standard.

I also heard some1 say all the X does is sit in chat and isolate themselves and talk about every1 else. Says someone who's never been in our chat. Lol. No one talks about anything on the forums. We talk to ourselves and tinykitty amongst each other. No drama. No fighting. Just chilling and having fun. When we come on forums, are we a little more aggressive ? Yes. When I 1st started mpq, 9 long months ago, we had a great community. Most of what turned into Shield along with many other great players. Now, we have no community. We have a bunch of fkn **** holes like Francky and arktos. Can't post to a single thread without insulting some1 or blowing smoke out their ****. I would go as far to GUARANTEE, that are at least 3-5 alliances who talk more about x-men in their chat than we talk about all others combined in ours.

TLDR: 1/2 this community turned into a bunch a naive ****. If you aren't an **** and we get along. You know who you are. Peace out btchs.

Yeah I know, here comes a bunch of pissed off flamers to come call me a cocky something or other. (Broken records, cocky! Cheater!) Whatever, tired of listening to these immature haters running their mouths. So fk it. Suck on that you whiny hypocrites.
    Classy post.. Its on par with the one some of your pals has written not so long ago (as evidenced by the link below)..but Mb its just me being an **** really disliking this kind of antic i too often saw from your crew..next time, to get along with you, i will marvel at all these bravados.. In my world, theres nothing that can justify that level of insults about a video game.. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... dly+Venoms
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    <Snip>
    Case in point...

RIgexy.png

How the heck do you get an offensive win at that level with that line-up? Is there a super-secret alternate way of setting up a defensive team that I don't know about?
  • Wow, first off, didn't think my post about PR would cause such an uproar lol but here we are. Just wanted to point out that Thugpatrol makes some awesome points.I just wanted to add really quick about the whole baseball thing and how it relates to this. The thing that is different about the Yankees "buying victory" compared to the x-men is that at least in baseball even though they spend the most, they are still making tons and tons of profits from all the merch, tickets, endorsements etc so it's worth it to them to spend a billion because it will help them make 3 billion. However what me (and most others ) can't understand about the x-men and MPQ is that they are spending 5kHP per pvp (jesus!) to get an extra 150HP from 1st/2nd place. The numbers just don't add up financially. I think in the end it comes down to how people view it in their mind. WR justifies his spending to himself by considering this game a fun hobby, like cooking or dog shows. So to him, the costs are justified. To me, I view it as a game. Games to me are a free or one time buy item. Barring dlc, I could never justify spending daily weekly or monthly on virtual items, let alone for being number 1 vs top 10 as f2p.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @ThugPatrol: While I agree with you on some points (or at least, I understand your logic), Shields are tools, just like a knife or a baseball bat or sneakers or a headset or a mouse or a microphone or any other outside element from actual skill (skill, to me includes things like the reflexes necessary to be a top level Call of Duty player to the athletic ability to be a linebacker). I agree that you cannot buy skill or playing ability. You can, however, buy good tools to help augment your ability though, and my point was, that holds true in practically every professional/competitive environment ever. Shields exist simply as a manner to protect your points. Under normal circumstances, they would never earn you points, except from a retaliation win or if someone happened to have you queued before you shielded, and in this shield hopping scenario, it still doesn't, however, they have found a way to (admittedly) exploit the system, to allow their teammates to benefit from their success also.

EDIT: Also, I meant to ask earlier, as a sidenote, what kind of knives/sets do you own? Bit of a chef myself. icon_e_smile.gif
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Wow, first off, didn't think my post about PR would cause such an uproar lol but here we are. Just wanted to point out that Thugpatrol makes some awesome points.I just wanted to add really quick about the whole baseball thing and how it relates to this. The thing that is different about the Yankees "buying victory" compared to the x-men is that at least in baseball even though they spend the most, they are still making tons and tons of profits from all the merch, tickets, endorsements etc so it's worth it to them to spend a billion because it will help them make 3 billion. However what me (and most others ) can't understand about the x-men and MPQ is that they are spending 5kHP per pvp (jesus!) to get an extra 150HP from 1st/2nd place. The numbers just don't add up financially. I think in the end it comes down to how people view it in their mind. WR justifies his spending to himself by considering this game a fun hobby, like cooking or dog shows. So to him, the costs are justified. To me, I view it as a game. Games to me are a free or one time buy item. Barring dlc, I could never justify spending daily weekly or monthly on virtual items, let alone for being number 1 vs top 10 as f2p.

The Yankees, players and owners and anyone else, are working at their JOBS. The point of a job is to make money. MPQ is not a job, it's a hobby. Sure, there's some hobbies where you can make a little cash, that's not the point here. The point is to have fun, not profit.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    <Snip>

How the heck do you get an offensive win at that level with that line-up? Is there a super-secret alternate way of setting up a defensive team that I don't know about?
    Sorry I'm not going to find it for you but there was a thread awhile ago where one of the SHIELD guys/gals (sorry I forget, beee or reck I think, but not sure) had a couple videos of what "high level pvp" looked like. It was lots and lots of hitting the "skip" button while being matched with a seemingly endless string of 1-5 point matches, even sometimes being matched up with seed teams again. There are so few unshielded opponents at high point totals that you will see this happening sometimes even at 1100+, and most certainly at 1400+ like these guys reach routinely. So, you can load your 3 x-men high point targets, and when they're replaced by seed teams you can hit one of them with basically your tank team, and if people find you with that team out, then you end up with that picture.
  • I agree that you cannot buy skill or playing ability. You can, however, buy good tools to help augment your ability though, and my point was, that holds true in practically every professional/competitive environment ever. Shields exist simply as a manner to protect your points. Under normal circumstances, they would never earn you points, except from a retaliation win.
    Except once again shields aren't a tool that enhance your ability. They are an intrinsic part of the game required to maintain a high score. Using them won't make you many points, but not using them is guaranteed to eliminate you from any serious level of competition. And since shield hopping is the only way to put up these kinds of scores, they are not optional if you're trying to win top prizes. You see it all the time when there's seven or so people battling for top 5 covers. Those who are willing to buy more shields and hop more often are the ones who come out ahead. The ones who aren't willing to spend on shields fall behind. It simply is not the same as a nice mouse, or phone, or gaming headset, or any other aid you want to use as an example, because it's a part of the game that cannot be avoided beyond a very casual approach to PvP. How many shields you're willing to buy is almost always the determining factor in getting the prize you want or coming up short.
    Also, I meant to ask earlier, as a sidenote, what kind of knives/sets do you own? Bit of a chef myself. icon_e_smile.gif
    WorldRunner was the one with the knives. I only mentioned it as an example because you took up essentially the same stance.
  • GothicKratos
    Options
    Firstly, let's be honest, there is little to no tangible, quantitative, or psychical "skill" to Marvel Puzzle Quest. The closest thing to "skill" in MPQ is knowledge of the game's mechanics, character abilities, and how to extrapolate that information into victories. The only other thing that realistically impacts your overall chance of winning, that resides of the person, is an understanding of statistics and spacial reasoning - and I'd venture to bet the average MPQer, even at the highest level of play doesn't factor in the statistical impact of a cascade into their moves, so it's realistically irrelevant. Do Shields technically augment these things? No, but it does certainly add yet another layer of information you need to know and master.

Additionally, I still beg to differ on your differentiation of Shields from a baseball mitt or bat. Obviously, it doesn't augment existing talent, but neither does most equipment that any given sports player uses or any equipment a competitive gamer is going to use. Someone that doesn't understand baseball is going to be useless with a mitt. If I gave my mother a Razor Naga, she's just look at it puzzled. Your argument seems superfluous. If anything, the knowledge on how to use the tools is infinitely more impactful than the tool itself. Besides that, a tool doesn't necessarily need to augments a user's "skills" - a tool makes a task easier to accomplish or to alleviate the amount of effort necessary to reach a goal.

Let me break it down a different way, because there's one fundamental difference between MPQ and any competitive scene; MPQ is a community of competitive and non-competitive players. In the NBA, do you think the players complain because they need to have Jordans, or Nikes, or what-have-you? No, because they understand at that level of play they have to use every available avenue of advantage, because even if they don't, their opponent will. It's a dog eat dog world out there. For an alliance like X-Men, it would be ignorant and self-harming to not use every technique possible to be as effective as possible. Shields are sneakers. Shields are baseball bats. Shields are cleats. Shields are not boot camp. Shields are not exercise. Shields are tools.

To go back to the first paragraph for a second, the closest thing to measure "success" in MPQ is score/rank. Furthermore, the closest metric to measure amount of "skill" someone has is thus the same. Now, I've already mentioned that I feel like the amount of realistic skill to play MPQ is nil, but if we were to try and measure it somehow, the absolute only way to measure it would be score. X-Men posts the highest scores. Period. Does that mean they're "better"? Not necessarily, but it does show that they have the drive to do what needs to be done to be on the top. Does that require a fiscal investment? Absolutely, but so does everything else, which is my point.
  • Shields are sneakers. Shields are baseball bats. Shields are cleats. Shields are not boot camp. Shields are not exercise. Shields are tools.
    I think we're basically going around in circles here, but I'll try one more time. Shields aren't tools that augment your performance, they are a part of the game itself. They are an intrinsic component of the scoring system that must be used in order to compete at any but the most basic level. If you do not use them, you will lose points, period, and buying more of them to hop up the score board gives you an advantage over anyone who buys and hops less. There is no amount of skill or game knowledge that can overcome this. You can hop more or less efficiently, but if you're willing to spend more and hop more you will always win. That is not the description of a tool that can give you a marginal advantage, that is the description of a central part of the mechanics of the game itself.
    X-Men posts the highest scores. Period. Does that mean they're "better"? Not necessarily, but it does show that they have the drive to do what needs to be done to be on the top. Does that require a fiscal investment? Absolutely, but so does everything else, which is my point.
    I've never questioned their commitment. They have that in spades, and good for them. They also wield their financial advantage like a sledgehammer. But your argument about monetary investment doesn't work here, because we're not talking about a one time cost. Your argument might work if you could pay a single one time only fee for the right to shield as much as you want. But as soon as you introduce the need to buy more than the next guy it becomes about competitive spending, not an investment to overcome a barrier to entry, and you've changed the equation completely.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    <Snip>

Sorry I'm not going to find it for you but there was a thread awhile ago where one of the SHIELD guys/gals (sorry I forget, beee or reck I think, but not sure) had a couple videos of what "high level pvp" looked like. It was lots and lots of hitting the "skip" button while being matched with a seemingly endless string of 1-5 point matches, even sometimes being matched up with seed teams again. There are so few unshielded opponents at high point totals that you will see this happening sometimes even at 1100+, and most certainly at 1400+ like these guys reach routinely. So, you can load your 3 x-men high point targets, and when they're replaced by seed teams you can hit one of them with basically your tank team, and if people find you with that team out, then you end up with that picture.

Seed teams. Got it, thanks. A significant ISO cost.
  • It doesn't take 5k HP to get to the high score. If you are efficient, it takes around 1k to 1.5k HP to get to an average score of 1,500 easy. This means a 20k pack with last you for the entire season.

If we have to talk about skills, it is how you get to the high score with minimum spend on HP/Shields. Xmen does a tremendous amount of coordination to ensure we get to the high score as efficient as we can. Our advantage over other alliances is organisation with good commanders to keep things in order. If spending money is to only way to get to the top, many others would be able to beat us as not all Xmen spends a ton of money in it. Some of us do spend zero money and just use the free HPs given in events to shield and yet get to 1,300+ every event. That's a skill.
  • It doesn't take 5k HP to get to the high score. If you are efficient, it takes around 1k to 1.5k HP to get to an average score of 1,500 easy. This means a 20k pack with last you for the entire season.

If we have to talk about skills, it is how you get to the high score with minimum spend on HP/Shields. Xmen does a tremendous amount of coordination to ensure we get to the high score as efficient as we can. Our advantage over other alliances is organisation with good commanders to keep things in order. If spending money is to only way to get to the top, many others would be able to beat us as not all Xmen spends a ton of money in it. Some of us do spend zero money and just use the free HPs given in events to shield and yet get to 1,300+ every event. That's a skill.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tomuser wrote:
    It doesn't take 5k HP to get to the high score. If you are efficient, it takes around 1k to 1.5k HP to get to an average score of 1,500 easy. This means a 20k pack with last you for the entire season.

Wow. Just wow. Skill? Unlikely. Uninformed? More likely. Class? Obviously, you missed that boat.

That has to be one of the most arrogant, self absorbed things I've seen posted on here. From the sound of it, you must think you're a superstar.

You shouldn't let your head get so big, just friendly advice. Take it as you will.
  • tomuser wrote:
    It doesn't take 5k HP to get to the high score. If you are efficient, it takes around 1k to 1.5k HP to get to an average score of 1,500 easy. This means a 20k pack with last you for the entire season.
    So you're saying all you have to do to compete at the highest level is be prepared to spend over $1,000 a year? Yeah. Okay. Point well made. I'm just not sure it's the point you thought you were making. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    tomuser wrote:
    Coordination and organisation is not the same thing as game skill. Building franchises and using superior numbers to game the system does not mean you're better at playing the game. It means you've found a way to exploit the mechanics of the game to your advantage. And good for you. If you're not breaking the rules, and it doesn't appear you are, more power to you. But that isn't skill. It's logistics. Many a war has been won from logistics and sheer numbers, but it doesn't make the combatants more skillful for the victory.
  • After reading this thread, I feel the best thing I have done is lay of the forums a while.

That, and that it would be a great experiment to remove shields and see what happens.
  • Jester Day wrote:
    That, and that it would be a great experiment to remove shields and see what happens.
    Ladders start working properly and revenue drop over 50%. So not ever going to happen.

Lets be honest, ladder/point in this game is broken to the point exploiting system is only way to score now. A healthy ladder system makes you go up when you beat someone and drops you down when someone beat you. In normal environment, it balances itself and people who are good/play often/have good roster are going to end higher. This breaks when you are able to prevent loosing points. Shield hopping exploit ladder system, as long as you don't loose to stupid AI you can only gain points. You can have perfect team, do perfect moves, do your usual match 3 times faster than normal human, and all the skill means nada, because for every 3 matches you do, 30 people are attacking you at same time. And since shield hopping becomes cornerstone of playing, you have top alliances further making sure that you exploit that as efficiently as possible. This is nothing wrong, that's how developers made the game work.

In other words, paying and exploiting system is way to play the game and refusing to do so won't let you 'compete'. There are plenty of games where you pay once and then have fair field of battle - Counter Strike, Starcraft. There are plenty of F2P games where healthy competition is most important to the game and Pay elements are secondary, complete optional step, and that still brings huge profits - Hearthstone, Team Fortress, DotA. MPQ however is game first and foremost done for money, every other element being secondary, that's why using money allows you to circumvent ladder rules and gain advantage by buying boosts. Have you though how Starcraft would look like if you could prebuy +1 unit upgrades before match? Hilarious.

I personally stopped trying to fight the system. Launch game sometimes, make few matches casually, try to forget that this 'f2p' **** takes away chances of getting ever proper single player sequel. My free time I'd rather spend on something where I know my position will depends on my performance rather than spending silly amounts of money. It's up to you people to decide whether it's really worth 'competing' in game where you can cheat around rules with enough cash.

tl;dr MPQ is P2W, deal with it.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There wont be any MPQ anymore without whales...
    So...
  • GothicKratos
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Shields are sneakers. Shields are baseball bats. Shields are cleats. Shields are not boot camp. Shields are not exercise. Shields are tools.
    I think we're basically going around in circles here, but I'll try one more time. Shields aren't tools that augment your performance, they are a part of the game itself. They are an intrinsic component of the scoring system that must be used in order to compete at any but the most basic level. If you do not use them, you will lose points, period, and buying more of them to hop up the score board gives you an advantage over anyone who buys and hops less. There is no amount of skill or game knowledge that can overcome this. You can hop more or less efficiently, but if you're willing to spend more and hop more you will always win. That is not the description of a tool that can give you a marginal advantage, that is the description of a central part of the mechanics of the game itself.

Our definition of "tool" (and "skill", too, I think) seem to be marginally different. Tools don't have to augment any skill what-so-ever. Look at a drill. you don't need any kind of prerequisite skillset to use it effectively. A shield is a drill. You can use a shield effectively, or you can use it ineffectively. You're either going to use that drill effectiantly and get a nice flush drive or you're going to drive your screw in sideways and it's going to look crooked - either way the tool did it's job. It's up to the person using the tool to use it to it's maximum potential. It has nothing to do with the value of the tool. Yes, shields do make upper-level play rather P2W, I don't think anyone is really arguing that (or at least, I'm not). My argument is that A) it has no impact on "skillfulness" and B) it's common-place for there to be investments in competitive play.

Lets be honest here for a second, even before the X-Men took up these 2k scoring habits they have been, they were still posting the highest consistent scores of any of the other Alliances. There's no arguing this. Let's also be honest in saying that there is no relative "skill cap" in MPQ - that is to say, there is no stage in MPQ where if you're not good enough at it, you're going to stay - so skill has absolutely zilch to do with MPQ. Barring fiscal investments, MPQ is 90% about roster - remaining percentiles going to luck. There. Is. No. Skill. In. MPQ. There is knowledge, which can take you pretty far, and there is the application of that knowledge, but that is not a skill. You don't have to do anything on a near consistent basis to keep your knowledge up - things like athletic ability or reflexes have to be honed or they depreciate.

For B), yes, MPQ requires an investment in every event, but if you think that any other competitive play, especially gaming, doesn't require that, I would question if you've ever played anything on a competitive level (and that's not a jab, there's nothing wrong with enjoying an activity outside of competitive play). We'll go back to LoL and CoD first - we'll say you're going to Nationals. Now, Nationals are generally held in high-density cities, and you're going to have to travel there. You're going to have to lodge yourself. You're going to have to feed yourself. If you flew there, you're going to need to rent a car (and if you drive, gas to and from, plus in-city travels), not to mention plane tickets (or a train, what-have-you, it's all a cost). The same applies to athletics. You have to travel. You have to lodge yourselves. You have to transport yourself.

Additionally, the things I've mentioned prior; mitts, bats, sneakers, etc - do you think those are one-tie investments? They're not. Pinky Promise. Are they every game, not at all, but it's definitely a multiple-times-per-season deal. Let us foot in doctor bills, chiropractor bills, etc. Let us fit in training and boot camps. Let us foot in exercise. There is monetization investments in being the best. Do these things inherently make you better? Absolutely not. Some random hobo with a catcher's mitt isn't going to be an All-Star.

EDIT: At this point, I do honestly think it boils down to a different of opinion, and I'd be more than happy to leave it at that if you'd like,
  • At this point, I do honestly think it boils down to a different of opinion, and I'd be more than happy to leave it at that if you'd like,
    Probably, but you're still trotting out some questionable analogies and some pretty wobbly logic, so I'm still content to continue to poke holes in it for the time being. Here goes... icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Shields are sneakers. Shields are baseball bats. Shields are cleats. Shields are not boot camp. Shields are not exercise. Shields are tools.
    Shields aren't tools that augment your performance, they are a part of the game itself. They are an intrinsic component of the scoring system that must be used in order to compete at any but the most basic level. If you do not use them, you will lose points, period, and buying more of them to hop up the score board gives you an advantage over anyone who buys and hops less. There is no amount of skill or game knowledge that can overcome this. You can hop more or less efficiently, but if you're willing to spend more and hop more you will always win. That is not the description of a tool that can give you a marginal advantage, that is the description of a central part of the mechanics of the game itself.
    Our definition of "tool" (and "skill", too, I think) seem to be marginally different. Tools don't have to augment any skill what-so-ever. Look at a drill. you don't need any kind of prerequisite skillset to use it effectively. A shield is a drill. You can use a shield effectively, or you can use it ineffectively. You're either going to use that drill effectiantly and get a nice flush drive or you're going to drive your screw in sideways and it's going to look crooked - either way the tool did it's job. It's up to the person using the tool to use it to it's maximum potential.
    There's two things going on here. One is the definition of a tool. A tool is a device used to facilitate a task. You could make a hole in something with a pointy rock, but a drill does a much better job. A shield is a game mechanic that you can buy to prevent you from losing points. Your option other than using a shield is to just hope you don't lose points. This very rarely works. The shield doesn't facilitate the task. It is the task, and the only facilitator is money.

The second thing is the question of skill. There's a lot of things to consider when using a drill: where to drill, how big a bit to use, how deep to go, etc. Unless you're a maniac who just likes drilling holes in everything, you need a firm understanding of how it works and the task at hand in order for it to be effective in any way. A shield, on the other hand, is a binary operation. It's either on or off, and there's no advantage to off other than you're forced into that position when you are actually playing the game. It doesn't require any skill or knowledge to use it other than "when you're not fighting, turn it on." And I still contend that it is an integral part of the game whose use is required to compete at anything beyond the most basic level, something which you have done nothing to dispute.
    Yes, MPQ requires an investment in every event. We'll go back to LoL and CoD first - we'll say you're going to Nationals. Now, Nationals are generally held in high-density cities, and you're going to have to travel there. You're going to have to lodge yourself. You're going to have to feed yourself. If you flew there, you're going to need to rent a car, not to mention plane tickets. The same applies to athletics. You have to travel. You have to lodge yourselves. You have to transport yourself.
    You're confusing this argument by taking it to a place well beyond the scope of a match-3 game that most people play on their phones, but even so your argument is on shaky ground. In the cases where people are traveling and competing and incurring long term costs you're generally dealing with people who are either sponsored, employed, or competing for very tangible prizes worthy of their expenses. In MPQ you have people spending wildly to win in-game prizes the value of which is many times lower than what is being spent to win them. Not the same thing. There will always be people who overspend to win, but very few games provides them with an unbeatable in-game advantage for doing so, and it is not a given to assume that as a necessity for reasonable competition.
    Additionally, the things I've mentioned prior; mitts, bats, sneakers, etc - do you think those are one-tie investments? They're not. Pinky Promise. Are they every game, not at all, but it's definitely a multiple-times-per-season deal.
    (Edited here because I didn't really address this point properly. Time out! I call do over. I can do that, can't I? Well, I am. So..yeah. icon_razz.gif )
    The replacement equipment argument still doesn't work for shields. It works for the actual equipment you need to play the game, phones and computers, and it's reasonable to assume you have to maintain those and incur whatever expense is involved. The only way it works for shields would be if there were a way to, say, buy unlimited shields for a season. Then it would be reasonable to assume anyone who wanted to compete would have to invest in shields per season, and everyone would more or less be on even footing. But that's not how it works. Shields give you a distinct advantage within the game, and since there's no limit on buying them we once again get into the issue of competitive spending rather than barrier to entry spending. It's not the same thing.
    (End edit. Time in.)

The bottom line here is this isn't some professional league where the competitors are employed, equipped, and insured. This isn't some national event that people travel far and wide to compete in for cash prizes, often times with sponsors on board. This is a match-3 game people play on their phones and computers. You've taken this argument that expense is a necessary expectation for competition to an extreme place that doesn't apply here. And that still doesn't address the issue that shields are an integral part of the game rules that give an unbeatable advantage to anyone willing to buy significantly more of them than the competition, regardless of skill or knowledge or any other metric you want to use beyond money and time. No other game or example you've trotted out even begins to compare to that. Not equipment, or travel expenses, or medical bills. Nothing. Shields are not tools. They are a part of the rules of the game, and they are for sale. More power to the people willing to exploit that fact and other dicey game mechanics for their own gains, but let's not pretend this is an even playing field. It isn't.
  • GothicKratos
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    There's two things going on here. One is the definition of a tool. A tool is a device used to facilitate a task. You could make a hole in something with a pointy rock, but a drill does a much better job. A shield is a game mechanic that you can buy to prevent you from losing points. Your option other than using a shield is to just hope you don't lose points. This very rarely works. The shield doesn't facilitate the task. It is the task, and the only facilitator is money.

The second thing is the question of skill. There's a lot of things to consider when using a drill: where to drill, how big a bit to use, how deep to go, etc. Unless you're a maniac who just likes drilling holes in everything, you need a firm understanding of how it works and the task at hand in order for it to be effective in any way. A shield, on the other hand, is a binary operation. It's either on or off, and there's no advantage to off other than you're forced into that position when you are actually playing the game. It doesn't require any skill or knowledge to use it other than "when you're not fighting, turn it on." And I still contend that it is an integral part of the game whose use is required to compete at anything beyond the most basic level, something which you have done nothing to dispute.

I disagree, in the scope of what a tool is. Knowledge of anything helps you use it better, that much is obvious, but any laymen can pick up a drill, look at a screw, and pick and appropriate bit. They'll get the job done nine times out of ten. Same goes for a shield. There's the intended purpose; to protect your points for a period of time. Anyone can look at the description of a shield and go, "Hey, I'm at 700, seems logical to shield here" and that's fine and good. It takes more than that (and I wouldn't purport it is "skill" in this case - I've never once said using Shields or Shieldhopping took skill) to shieldhop effectively. If anything, using a Shield is like picking up a screwdriver to drive a nail, then using a Shield "as intended" is using a Wal-Mart brand power drill, whereas shieldhopping is a Stihl power drill. It's a matter of effectiveness - and each level of effectiveness requires a different level of investment. Some tools are necessary to get the job done, some aren't. Some require more investment, some don't require any at all.

Is whatever level of investment players are investing to get these 2000 point scores worth it? I certainly don't think so (and I feel like you think I am justifying it on a personal level, and I am not), but who are we to judge them? They want to win, and someone came up with shieldhopping, and that's been going on for forever practically. These guys decided to take it to another level. Good on them. Nobody is forced to compete at their levels, and as a lot of other people have pointed out in this thread and other threads, by posting such large point values themselves, they made pretty targets for people that were not doing it to get somewhat easy points. In the case of MPQ, there is a trickle down effect, like in most economies - and yes, all ranking systems that use point values over strict placement are economies in most senses.

Secondly, I disagree with your implication of what "skill" is. What you described is knowledge. You gain skills through experiencing something. You can gain knowledge by doing the task, but you can gain knowledge without doing the task too. You can gain a varying amount of applicable skill by watching someone to do something first hand, but generally speaking, until you have your drill in hand and you've picked out your drill bit and made your start and turn that bad boy on for the first time, you have no idea what you're really getting into. I've said it a few times so far, and I'll say it again; MPQ has a low skill threshhold (i.e. it requires little skill to no skill to well) and it has absolutely no skillcap (i.e. there's not a point where you're only going to do better by actually being better). Playing through the prologue gives you all the "skill" you need to take on the MPQ universe.

Thugpatrol wrote:
    You're confusing this argument by taking it to a place well beyond the scope of a match-3 game that most people play on their phones, but even so your argument is on shaky ground. In the cases where people are traveling and competing and incurring long term costs you're generally dealing with people who are either sponsored, employed, or competing for very tangible prizes worthy of their expenses. In MPQ you have people spending wildly to win in-game prizes the value of which is many times lower than what is being spent to win them. Not the same thing.

I'm not confusing anything at all. You're confusing my argument that there is a tangible, real-world cost to all competitive commitment, which whether or not I think it's "worth it" or not. I never once implied that any of it was compatible in a monetary sense. I never once even close to mutter it was "well worth it". I said it comes with the territory. I never even said it was 'fair'. I am simply speaking as someone that plays other games competitively and played sports competitively - there is a money investment, there is a time investment, there are sacrifices to be made if you want to go big. It doesn't matter if it's worth it to me or you, it matters if it's worth it to the person doing it.
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    There will always be people who overspend to win, but very few games provides them with an unbeatable in-game advantage for doing so, and it is not a given to assume that as a necessity for reasonable competition.

In a strict sense of video games, this is an extremely false statement. It is indeed rare to find games that don't give an extreme advantage to those that are willing to lay down money --- especially anything competitive, because it's simply in the nature of a competitor to throw everything at winning. It's a no-brainer for most companies. However, some companies, like Riot does with League of Legends, have managed to find an in-bewtween, but few have managed to duplicate it's successes in that type of model. There are a lot of other variables to this line of conversation, though.

Thugpatrol wrote:
    The bottom line here is this isn't some professional league where the competitors are employed, equipped, and insured. This isn't some national event that people travel far and wide to compete in for cash prizes, often times with sponsors on board. This is a match-3 game people play on their phones and computers. You've taken this argument that expense is a necessary expectation for competition to an extreme place that doesn't apply here. And that still doesn't address the issue that shields are an integral part of the game rules that give an unbeatable advantage to anyone willing to buy significantly more of them than the competition, regardless of skill or knowledge or any other metric you want to use beyond money and time. No other game or example you've trotted out even begins to compare to that. Not equipment, or travel expenses, or medical bills. Nothing. Shields are not tools. They are a part of the rules of the game, and they are for sale. More power to the people willing to exploit that fact and other dicey game mechanics for their own gains, but let's not pretend this is an even playing field. It isn't.

I feel like I said, word for word, earlier, that "It's pretty obvious to everyone, including to the X-Men I'm sure, that shield hopping off of teammates was not the intended affect of shields, but you know what, they found a way to be better at what they enjoy being good at." & "Shields exist simply as a manner to protect your points. Under normal circumstances, they would never earn you points, except from a retaliation win or if someone happened to have you queued before you shielded, and in this shield hopping scenario, it still doesn't, however, they have found a way to (admittedly) exploit the system, to allow their teammates to benefit from their success also.". Like I said above, fair is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about the way it is everywhere. It's practically a Law of Physics. Pay money, do better. Better equipment. Better players. Better stadium. Better training camp. It's life. Life isn't fair.