Category-5 - Aug 6-8 - Season IV

Options

Comments

• I guess this was one of the hardest brackets ever. Really insane.

MRyDLER.png
  • My first death bracket. Unfortunately I got the short end.

kMV4boU.png
  • dhsdsUU.jpg?2
  • PolarCow! I tried to help you out, I hit Darthmental for 46 at one point, which he wasn't too happy about seeing as we are in the same alliance and all. icon_razz.gif

He also exclaimed in Line, "Polar cows are chasing me!" Which is just a hilarious image.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    biomarvel wrote:
    I guess this was one of the hardest brackets ever. Really insane.

MRyDLER.png
    Worst bracket i ve ever been.. I was just aiming at top 5.. Joined early.. Climbed early to put a 24hrs shield at 1450 thinking im safe in top 5.. Just to see overnight everybody has pushed above 1500.. Forced to break my 24 and spent obscene amount of hp for a pvp (around 1300 for the event).. I hope its not a trend that will carry on.. Cause i dont want to see pvp becoming only "payer vs payer"..
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Worst bracket i ve ever been.. I was just aiming at top 5.. Joined early.. Climbed early to put a 24hrs shield at 1450 thinking im safe in top 5.. Just to see overnight everybody has pushed above 1500.. Forced to break my 24 and spent obscene amount of hp for a pvp (around 1300 for the event).. I hope its not a trend that will carry on.. Cause i dont want to see pvp becoming only "payer vs payer"..
    Wasn't in your bracket but managed to top 5 with about 1375. Also had to use a 24-hour due to a family reunion thing going on and not knowing when I'd be able to play. This event was just crazy and I spent so much in shields. Crazy that even with 1300+ I feel lucky to be in an "easy" enough bracket to top 5. This should not be the norm for this game and if it is I'm just gonna take a step back and use one or two shields at most and see where that gets me. Not getting sucked into this shield hopping insane asylum again.

Edit: spoit I admire your restraint. We have been bracket buddies several times now and I'm sure you could place higher if you desire but you don't and I want to be more like you. Anyway carry on. See you in more brackets in the future undoubtedly.

Edit #2: I'd do a screenshot and all that but I'm on an iPad and a little drunk and anyway just not doing it. Just another highly contested bracket where my 1340 barely got top 5 and spoit squeaked into 9th with like 1200. Not über death like some of the others but quite crazy nonetheless.

Edit 3: the quote was mostly to say I also used a long shield and a lot of hp, but even more to agree with the sentiment that I don't want pvp to become who pays the most in shields, but that is almost 100% what it has been for the last few pvps, at least for those in these types of brackets. I'm not gonna do that anymore and I hope most of the rest of you follow suit.

Edit the last: my score was actually 1375, poor guy with 1340 got 6th icon_e_sad.gif.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    It's nice to get a lazier bracket:

Cat5Top10.jpg
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Edit 3: the quote was mostly to say I also used a long shield and a lot of hp, but even more to agree with the sentiment that I don't want pvp to become who pays the most in shields, but that is almost 100% what it has been for the last few pvps, at least for those in these types of brackets. I'm not gonna do that anymore and I hope most of the rest of you follow suit.

True. I think part of the problem is that top tier PvP has devolved to Sentry+who cares+required char. Of course Hoods and Dakens are a deterrent but anyone with a high enough point total is a target. Hulk and Thor aren't good enough anymore because Sentry just blows them up before they can do anything. Since 90% of shield hoppers have a maxed Sentry, it comes down to who can hop the most often, quickest, and having a top alliance. That snowballed with people fighting for the Deadpool covers and the outcome was one of the highest scoring PvPs and the worst death brackets. I'm sure D3 is ecstatic with all the shields and boosts that were bought.
  • Like everyone else I agree this sharding business is very unpleasant

however in the office in D3

4e30fa3eb72b5d7e74fa2be7cbe571e1.jpg
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Wasn't in your bracket but managed to top 5 with about 1375. Also had to use a 24-hour due to a family reunion thing going on and not knowing when I'd be able to play. This event was just crazy and I spent so much in shields. Crazy that even with 1300+ I feel lucky to be in an "easy" enough bracket to top 5. This should not be the norm for this game and if it is I'm just gonna take a step back and use one or two shields at most and see where that gets me. Not getting sucked into this shield hopping insane asylum again.

Edit: spoit I admire your restraint. We have been bracket buddies several times now and I'm sure you could place higher if you desire but you don't and I want to be more like you. Anyway carry on. See you in more brackets in the future undoubtedly.

Edit #2: I'd do a screenshot and all that but I'm on an iPad and a little drunk and anyway just not doing it. Just another highly contested bracket where my 1340 barely got top 5 and spoit squeaked into 9th with like 1200. Not über death like some of the others but quite crazy nonetheless.

Edit the last: my score was actually 1375, poor guy with 1340 got 6th icon_e_sad.gif.
    Yeah, I looked at it a couple hours before the close and saw that it would be at least 2, probably 3 shield hops, and I didn't want to spend the HP on shields AND boosts (and ISO skips)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    It's sad when this is considered a "hmm, not too bad" bracket:

GbdJVod.png?1

Let's not do this again for a while, people.
    Yes, I think the fact that this qualifies as a fluffy bracket pretty much says all about the state of sharding right now.
  • This was fun and weird.
    I feel like I tiptoed to over 800 (I usually make about 500-600 points to be just in top 50 or 100) and was still seeing smaller and similar non maxed and two star teams as mine untill that. (Usually it is about to 600 when it is nearly maxed out teams, mine are around 94-141) points werent that high, but easy fights. And nobody attacked me. No retaliations. Shielded for last couple of hours when I started seeing only maxed out teams at 821points, when I was 34#. thought I would make to top 50 with that score. Played a round of pve and no attacks, and my score had dropped only one level, so I did go sleeping. I wake up this morning and checked what did I got and I had made it to top 25! So happy. Last hour retaliations gave me allmost 60points, and I was 24# . Top ten at my bracket was something 1200 and first one over 1600. What was weird, there was only one shielded in top ten.
  • darthmental
    Options
    Lst_Hwn wrote:
    PolarCow! I tried to help you out, I hit Darthmental for 46 at one point, which he wasn't too happy about seeing as we are in the same alliance and all. icon_razz.gif

He also exclaimed in Line, "Polar cows are chasing me!" Which is just a hilarious image.

There will be retribution! Lol. I'm going to "Pyro" you!' Lol
  • My 921 was good for #12, and I only spent 150 hp on an 8-hour, so I feel like I made the right decision. Top five needed over 1262, and I probably would have needed to spend another 300 hp to get there. I think lowering my expectations may be the best solution to the sharding problem.
  • biomarvel wrote:
    I guess this was one of the hardest brackets ever. Really insane.

MRyDLER.png

That was a terrible bracket indeed francky icon_e_smile.gif I spent about 800hp but used up 15 all-ap boosts and only have 3 left. Good fight though, everyone was climbing like crazy. I woke up at 3am in the morning to see you almost 200 points ahead at one point too...

I really hope there won't be too many brackets like this in future. Really feel the pain for the guys who get 1600+ and can't place in the top 5. They should probably give out more progression rewards above 1300 to lessen the pain.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Terr83 wrote:

That was a terrible bracket indeed francky icon_e_smile.gif I spent about 800hp but used up 15 all-ap boosts and only have 3 left. Good fight though, everyone was climbing like crazy. I woke up at 3am in the morning to see you almost 200 points ahead at one point too...

I really hope there won't be too many brackets like this in future. Really feel the pain for the guys who get 1600+ and can't place in the top 5. They should probably give out more progression rewards above 1300 to lessen the pain.
    Nice to hear from you.. You have played fair and i want to thank you for that.. It was entertaining but i hope its the last time i have to push that far for a top 5.. Congrats terr..
  • When everybody is posting high scoring brackets, it is not sharding anymore.

I agree with Flare808. Before Sentry enters the game, how many times have you attempted a shield hop only to come out losing more points than you have gained? With a maxed Sentry, shield hopping with boost has become so fast and simple, people are not going to even think twice about doing it.

With more and more people having maxed Sentry, things are just going to get worse.
  • Sentry exacerbates the issue, but it's just as possible to shield hop to whatever score you want with Patchneto boosted too.
  • I finally feel safe for top 5... At 1600.

If this is what "play harder" means, you all can keep it!

Congrats man. About 1 hour ago #8 was abt 1444. Since then 5 thru 8 appear to have gone backwards in points so it must be brutal.

Hey! Congrats to you for getting first in one of the craziest brackets that I've ever seen.

I just felt bad for Spider-Man. Got passed by his alliancemate at the last second to fall out of T5.

might have been a seniority or friendship agreement to let stalker7 take it since is one of the original members. All I really wanted was top 5 but you all scared the bejezus out of me so I had to keep climbing slowly too. I may have spent more shields on this even (7 or 8 3hrs) than almost the whole s4 so far. They need to turn this sharding off or way down again. Many will quit if this is a consistent pattern every pvp forward.

Seniority agreement ? No way, it would be totally unfair. I'd be against it. Spider-man was not on 5D chat, but I'd have told him "do ya best homie, and good luck".
    When I went down to #6, I made two shield hops. Punished twice, so that I was endlessly coming back to 1450. I was so desperate that I tried a last 5mn push on two big targets, and, surprisingly, was not been hit for once. I remained 1 minute unshielded, crossing my fingers. What surprised me more is a top 5 player who lost like 200 pts ! Don't know what happened to him (was Canglem I think).
  • Seniority agreement ? No way, it would be totally unfair. I'd be against it. Spider-man was not on 5D chat, but I'd have told him "do ya best homie, and good luck".
    When I went down to #6, I made two shield hops. Punished twice, so that I was endlessly coming back to 1450. I was so desperate that I tried a last 5mn push on two big targets, and, surprisingly, was not been hit for once. I remained 1 minute unshielded, crossing my fingers. What surprised me more is a top 5 player who lost like 200 pts ! Don't know what happened to him (was Canglem I think).[/quote]

yeah, the last hours were brutal. I knew you would break and go for it but was surprised noone else did. Must have been a tense minute but congrats. I would have requested any SHIELD newbie to retreat to me in that instance icon_e_smile.gif