Patch R58 Discussion - Live 7/29

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    LakeStone wrote:
    New
    Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
    Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Destroys up to 5 Team-Up tiles, generating Team-Up AP and dealing 4 damage per tile.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 4 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 3: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 4: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 5: Destroys 6 Team-Up tiles
    Max Level: 61 damage for each Team-Up tile

Level 3 and 4 appear to be exactly the same.
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well seems like team ups are a great new addition and don't have any underlying "D3 is only out to make money!" connotations, especially if they are dropping at near 100%. Only down side i can see is level 395 juggs not taking hot dog breaks. Clearly after this change he should suffer from some battle fatigue with out his ability to replenish what could only be described as a hot dog fueled rage.

Others have commented on death brackets Starfall completed with my top 5 being 1300+ with number 6 getting squeezed out with a paltry 1222. This seems a bit extreme, move the slider back to sanity mode please.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems Ice is away but if he comes back:

Are you aware that under the new changes Mohawk's Mistress of the Elements will deal slightly LESS max tile damage than currently? When you conflate that with the fact that she will only pop up to 7 tiles (as opposed to all) so resulting cascades will greatly diminish, the whole change seems like an unintended nerf. Sure, Team-Up AP will be cool and all, but after all it will be an ability that you can only use once. i.e. the second Mistress of the Elements will do nothing additional to -nerfed- damage if you already used your Team Up equippable.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    So yeah. Haven't been around forums much, but you may have seen me in-game at least. I know I beat up Dayv early on in Sentry's PVP.
    Wow, I somehow totally missed that. My Sentry=weaksauce.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

Are you aware that under the new changes Mohawk's Mistress of the Elements will deal slightly LESS max tile damage than currently? When you conflate that with the fact that she will only pop up to 7 tiles (as opposed to all) so resulting cascades will greatly diminish, the whole change seems like an unintended nerf. Sure, Team-Up AP will be cool and all, but after all it will be an ability that you can only use once. i.e. the second Mistress of the Elements will do nothing additional to -nerfed- damage if you already used your Team Up equippable.

Think of it this way,

Yes, Storm's cascading ability will diminish as a result of these changes. However, in exchange, she will now gather up to 7 White AP for Team-Up abilities, which appears to be rather potent. Given what Ice has said about the drop rates of the abilities, and bringing up to 3 per battle, this shouldn't be much of an issue. (Or, looked at in another way, this will encourage the use of bringing Team-Ups, as if a player doesn't then, as you mention, the White AP is wasted).

The question that should be weighed is whether or not 9 Yellow --> 7 White (plus minor cascade potential) is worth the effort. Granted, this means passing up on BP's Yellow strike tiles or LThor's Thunder Strike. But, if a player is sitting on a rather potent Team-Up, the cost may be worth it to them.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    - You currently have 20 slots for Team-Ups available. May change that in the future. So yeah, you could run into a situation where you have 20 Adamantium Slashes of various levels. But that's no different to getting 3 more Crit Damage Boosts when you already have 20. You should probably use them sometime.

Has any thought been given to notifying players when they reach maximum inventory of a boost or team-up, so players know to use some up before they waste new ones?
  • MaxCavalera
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    - You currently have 20 slots for Team-Ups available. May change that in the future. So yeah, you could run into a situation where you have 20 Adamantium Slashes of various levels. But that's no different to getting 3 more Crit Damage Boosts when you already have 20. You should probably use them sometime.

Has any thought been given to notifying players when they reach maximum inventory of a boost or team-up, so players know to use some up before they waste new ones?

Yeah I recently noticed i was sitting on max +1 all ap boosts. I can't imagine it was for long but i would hate to lose any! Yes i am a sheep herder
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

I agree with what you are saying, but to me MotE was never about dealing damage. That skill served two purposes:
    1) Gather Environment AP quickly.
    2) Remove all Environment tiles from the board.
    To me, it was the second point that made it invaluable. If this skill by itself did not cause a large cascade, the next match would probably do it. With the Team-Up update, her skill mostly becomes board shake up, which is still pretty good.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I agree with what you are saying, but to me MotE was never about dealing damage. That skill served two purposes:
    To me, it was the second point that made it invaluable. If this skill by itself did not cause a large cascade, the next match would probably do it. With the Team-Up update, her skill mostly becomes board shake up, which is still pretty good.

Sure, "still pretty good". Definitely not as good, since, as you mention the big point of the ability was no damage but board shake-up and that has been greatly reduced. And when you take in account that she was not a character whose power level was making waves, a nerf, if small, really pushes her to near unplayability. And since you only get one drop per victory, you can only bring 3 T-Us to a battle every 3, and only if you played 2 battles without any T-Us, making MotE a joke.
  • MaxCavalera
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    babinro wrote:
    Black Panther's Yellow is amazing if this change goes live. I could easily see myself using him in place of Punisher going forward.

Why not both?

Even without Team-Ups, Casting Judgment, then Battleplan would yield (3 * 122) + (3 * 175) = 891 in Strike tiles. With a "Team-Up", that number increases to 1116 in Strike tiles.

At that point, regardless of whoever is the third on the team, who even flipping cares about other abilities when you are matching for four-digit damage on match-3s, let alone match 4 and 5s and cascades?

OBW raises hand? Can I help 2k per match =)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Sure, "still pretty good". Definitely not as good, since, as you mention the big point of the ability was no damage but board shake-up and that has been greatly reduced. And when you take in account that she was not a character whose power level was making waves, a nerf, if small, really pushes her to near unplayability. And since you only get one drop per victory, you can only bring 3 T-Us to a battle every 3, and only if you played 2 battles without any T-Us, making MotE a joke.

It seems team up tiles will actually have their own damage now, MotE may still have a punch behind it if that damage is added in.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    It seems Ice is away but if he comes back...

If we get the TU ability only after we beat the character that has that ability, does that mean that there are TU we may never see? One of my favorite heros to use is DareDevil, ( yes, DareDevil, even a pawn can become a Queen if you use it right ), yet because so few people actually understand How to use him they just don't like him. So, because no one ever uses DD, I never see him in the game. Does this mean that I will never get DD team ups?
    Or will there be a way to get specific ones?
  • Unknown
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:
    Were you just humoring sorcered or does this really mean the devs consider coordinated shielding and attacking an exploit? Seems like legitimate strategery to me
    yogi_ wrote:
    Are the two Magnetos' going to end up looking similar, skillset wise? ie. Torch and gold / lazy characters?
    This would be awful. Just say no to laziness
    Coordinating your shielding and hitting other players is something that we can't really regulate with any methods that wouldn't also cause a bunch of other knock on issues which would be just as bad. It's most likely in this case that we'd put something like a big red exclamation mark or something saying "This person is in your Alliance/FB Friends List! You may not want to hit them!"

Current plan is for them to look about as similar as they do now. I just wouldn't expect 2 AP Reds and 0 AP Blues to be the norm.

make it 2.5 red ap and increase 1 blue ap for level 4 and 5 ...
  • Unknown
    Options
    After reading every single comment in this thread, I had to chime in.

Why the epic nerf to mstorm and mostorm? No matter how you slice it, this is yet another nail in the coffin to we 2>3* transition players. How the hell am I supposed to beat incredibly overscaled PvE nodes (which is the norm) when mstorm/thor/obw is now completely unviable? Also, maybe someone could explain to the devs that both Storm's red skills are for utility (not damage, which they mistakenly believe), so Mostorm being released pre-nerfed was unnerving, but on par with She-Hulk being pre-nerfed. Why would I use Mostorm instead of any other yellow utilizer (BP, LT, Sentry, etc.)?

I'd really like some perspective here, because I can't understand why they want Storm to be another Daredevil/Bagman. 1 and 3* Storm have extremely low relative health and their raw damage output is negligible at best. People use her for her utility, which you're now removing almost entirely. MotE will now use yellow, instead of the much preferred red, so she can't pair with Thor anymore, a matchup that had abyssmal damage, but tons of utility. Now they'd fight over who uses yellow, and only Thor can use red making it unviable (since his red is already pretty bad unless you get a lot of luck.) My understanding was that squishies compensated with damage and/or utility. And to accomplish that, tended toward low cost skills. Apparently Storm is supposed to fit into the niche group currently held by bagman, Moonstone and DD, extremely situational usage. Most times it's far better to go with a generally useful character anyway instead of someone situational with overpriced skills.

Can we stop with the gamebreaking nerfs for a couple months, please, or is that asking way too much?! The fun was already sucked out of the game with True Healing...

I saw several posts from other disgruntled Storm users, but nowhere near the amount that should be up-in-arms. Speak the tinykitty up!
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    Options
    I have an additional question on this. Is the damage that Storm is doing when destroying the Team-Up tiles additional to the damage that the tiles are doing themselves when destroyed?
  • Major Carnage
    Options
    I'm not so sure it's going to be as big a nerf as everyone thinks as the new team up tiles do damage while the environment tiles did not. So if the damage for destroying the tiles is added to the move, then it might not be so bad.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not so sure it's going to be as big a nerf as everyone thinks as the new team up tiles do damage while the environment tiles did not. So if the damage for destroying the tiles is added to the move, then it might not be so bad.

Again, nobody uses MotE primarily for the damage, yet everyone keeps focusing on the damage. I couldn't care if the skill did 0 damage, as long as it had a decent cascade chance.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Why the epic nerf to mstorm and mostorm? No matter how you slice it, this is yet another nail in the coffin to we 2>3* transition players. How the hell am I supposed to beat incredibly overscaled PvE nodes (which is the norm) when mstorm/thor/obw is now completely unviable? Also, maybe someone could explain to the devs that both Storm's red skills are for utility (not damage, which they mistakenly believe), so Mostorm being released pre-nerfed was unnerving, but on par with She-Hulk being pre-nerfed. Why would I use Mostorm instead of any other yellow utilizer (BP, LT, Sentry, etc.)?

I'd really like some perspective here, because I can't understand why they want Storm to be another Daredevil/Bagman. 1 and 3* Storm have extremely low relative health and their raw damage output is negligible at best. People use her for her utility, which you're now removing almost entirely. MotE will now use yellow, instead of the much preferred red, so she can't pair with Thor anymore, a matchup that had abyssmal damage, but tons of utility. Now they'd fight over who uses yellow, and only Thor can use red making it unviable (since his red is already pretty bad unless you get a lot of luck.) My understanding was that squishies compensated with damage and/or utility. And to accomplish that, tended toward low cost skills. Apparently Storm is supposed to fit into the niche group currently held by bagman, Moonstone and DD, extremely situational usage. Most times it's far better to go with a generally useful character anyway instead of someone situational with overpriced skills.

Can we stop with the gamebreaking nerfs for a couple months, please, or is that asking way too much?! The fun was already sucked out of the game with True Healing...

I saw several posts from other disgruntled Storm users, but nowhere near the amount that should be up-in-arms. Speak the tinykitty up!

As far as storm goes they HAD TO add this "nerf" to her is beceuase the Dev's rightfully believe the 1* storm would be too OP for the team ups. With the 1* storm you hit 2 reds and get Rage of the Panther, or Sniper Rifle, or Call of the Storm, or any other ability that you get. She might not pair great with Thor now but she pairs better with Wolvie 2&3*, GSBW, Hulk, CBoth Magneto's, Psyloke and can still be very usefull if you bring a big team up with you. With the team up even on a 3* team she can be even better. If you get a strong nuke as a team up and it is easier to get 9 yellow then all the team up ap needed you activate her yellow and get 7 additional AP for team up plus solid damage and possible cascades. Now you can fire your nuke to finish people off. If she was able to destroy all the team up tiles she could be devistating. She can always be nuged to destroy a couple extra team ups like 9 for 3* I think would be fair, but might be OP based on the team up AP cost.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

As far as storm goes they HAD TO add this "nerf" to her is beceuase the Dev's rightfully believe the 1* storm would be too OP for the team ups. With the 1* storm you hit 2 reds and get Rage of the Panther, or Sniper Rifle, or Call of the Storm, or any other ability that you get. She might not pair great with Thor now but she pairs better with Wolvie 2&3*, GSBW, Hulk, CBoth Magneto's, Psyloke and can still be very usefull if you bring a big team up with you. With the team up even on a 3* team she can be even better. If you get a strong nuke as a team up and it is easier to get 9 yellow then all the team up ap needed you activate her yellow and get 7 additional AP for team up plus solid damage and possible cascades. Now you can fire your nuke to finish people off. If she was able to destroy all the team up tiles she could be devistating. She can always be nuged to destroy a couple extra team ups like 9 for 3* I think would be fair, but might be OP based on the team up AP cost.

I have to agree with you here. Destroying all team-up tiles would be a ridiculous power that would be way too useful. I don't know much about the ability costs, but I feel like seven tiles destroyed will still be a useful utility effect. Add that to the increase in damage (I know, "no one uses it for damage", but it's there and it's an upgrade, so you'll have to take notice) from both the ability and the tiles (at least I'm assuming the total damage will be higher, IceIX said the team-ups will be like the fourth tile strength)

All in all, I think any "nerf" is minor at worst.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have a question for iceIX. Will you be introducing fury covers for rewards at any point in the (near)future? If this question has been answered anywhere can someone direct me to it.