First Avenger - July 21-23 - Season IV

Options

Comments

• HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I wasn't going to, but I decided to shield hop cause I could really use the extra covers - now 21st with over 900 points.

And I suspect that may not be enough... icon_e_confused.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    orionpeace wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Shielded at about 830 for the duration, more for season points than anything else, since I don't need the covers.

I offer no offense to you, Ben Grimm (and they need to add him to the game), because this isn't about you specifically, but this is part of what is wrong with this game.

As someone who NEEDS the covers (3* covers in general), my ability to get them is hampered by those who don't. You need the points. You need the ISOs.

Yet the climb to get those covers must often be over and through the more complete teams who couldn't care less about the covers themselves.

Part of that is the Season Rankings and part of that is MMR.

I have 6 maxed heroes. And the climb keeps feeling steeper.

I agree, actually. I wish there was an alternate path I could use to get ISO without keeping someone else from getting the covers. Letting us choose some alternate patch might help alleviate this, as long as it didn't result in us choosing some sort of hyper-death-bracket in the process. But they've never really indicated any possibility to do this, so I pretty much have to keep plugging away at the pvps, even though I only need covers for a fraction of the 3*s (9, two of which are respecs).
    I got to 1006 in my one play session last night and shielded til the end figuring I'd be done and there was a good chance I could be top 5 for the nice iso bonus. I need 2 BP yellows so the rewards are essentially meaningless. In 6 hours I fell from 2nd to now 6th, and I started to think about doing a little shield hop for 5th just for the extra iso. Not gonna do it, but that tells you where the incentives are in this game when I am considering taking covers from someone who might need them (I didn't check, but pretty sure top 4 all don't need them too) just for an extra 3500 iso (which would have cost me 75hp).

Also on a different note, I was not happy to find myself in 450th place when joining last night and seeing 1st place was KyleStrife already shielded at over 1000. Definitely seems like they dialed the nudging up from gentle to jarring. If they are opening even more shards to ease server load further maybe death brackets are more pronounced. In any event something has changed from season 3.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I got 943 points rank overall 19.
  • Unknown
    Options
    NE0M7Fd.jpg

Not as death filled as the last one, but this still seems well beyond a gentle nudge.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rank #91 with 1 minute left
    Rank #101 at the close

Literally no chance to respond, so no Black Panther for me!

So glad to spend those hours grinding points to lose it in the last 60 seconds. *sigh*
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    A little less gentle nudge in my bracket would be nice: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=290327756

I'm not sure where Naz wound up.
  • Unknown
    Options
    1100 got me rank #1 in my bracket
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm sitting happily in fourth. I don't need an IW yellow so I won't be pushing.

Funny bracket, Samho used at least 300 HP to get to top5, not sure if it was really worth it. One last fight before end gave me top10 so Im almost happy (no top100 alliance...).
  • rawl316
    rawl316 Posts: 114
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    orionpeace wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Shielded at about 830 for the duration, more for season points than anything else, since I don't need the covers.

I offer no offense to you, Ben Grimm (and they need to add him to the game), because this isn't about you specifically, but this is part of what is wrong with this game.

As someone who NEEDS the covers (3* covers in general), my ability to get them is hampered by those who don't. You need the points. You need the ISOs.

Yet the climb to get those covers must often be over and through the more complete teams who couldn't care less about the covers themselves.

One of few the positives of death brackets - a lot of the guys and gals who don't need the covers have been "Gentle Nudged" together so people who do need them can fight amongst themselves.

Of course there are people who get trapped in death brackets who could use covers too...

That's me! I have 0 maxed 3* guys
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcoran wrote:
    Funny bracket, Samho used at least 300 HP to get to top5, not sure if it was really worth it. One last fight before end gave me top10 so Im almost happy (no top100 alliance...).
    Yikes--probably not worth it. icon_e_smile.gif I saw him unshield at the end so i had to do the same because I had already dropped down to fifth and he was going to bump me out. In the end I kept my position but the guy who was in fourth got booted so sixth.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Slept through the end of the event, unshielded. Got wtfpwnzored for 150 points, landed around 750 points which was good enough for exactly 50th place. I'll take my 50 HP for placement and call that a win. icon_razz.gif
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    orionpeace wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

I agree, actually. I wish there was an alternate path I could use to get ISO without keeping someone else from getting the covers. Letting us choose some alternate patch might help alleviate this, as long as it didn't result in us choosing some sort of hyper-death-bracket in the process. But they've never really indicated any possibility to do this, so I pretty much have to keep plugging away at the pvps, even though I only need covers for a fraction of the 3*s (9, two of which are respecs).
    I got to 1006 in my one play session last night and shielded til the end figuring I'd be done and there was a good chance I could be top 5 for the nice iso bonus. I need 2 BP yellows so the rewards are essentially meaningless. In 6 hours I fell from 2nd to now 6th, and I started to think about doing a little shield hop for 5th just for the extra iso. Not gonna do it, but that tells you where the incentives are in this game when I am considering taking covers from someone who might need them (I didn't check, but pretty sure top 4 all don't need them too) just for an extra 3500 iso (which would have cost me 75hp).

Also on a different note, I was not happy to find myself in 450th place when joining last night and seeing 1st place was KyleStrife already shielded at over 1000. Definitely seems like they dialed the nudging up from gentle to jarring. If they are opening even more shards to ease server load further maybe death brackets are more pronounced. In any event something has changed from season 3.
    I joined with T-8h left and somehow got placed in your bracket. Sharding at work alright.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If this sharding continues, I might not even make it until the cmags nerf before dropping the game again
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    If this sharding continues, I might not even make it until the cmags nerf before dropping the game again

The sharding does appear to be stronger so far and you are right, noone likes to be sharded on. Were we in the same bracket spoit? Thought I saw you in top 10 for a bit.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Spoit wrote:

The sharding does appear to be stronger so far and you are right, noone likes to be sharded on. Were we in the same bracket spoit? Thought I saw you in top 10 for a bit.
    Quite possibly, it seems like a quarter of the forums were. I know that there were a few other shield guys who hadn't already mentioned it. (also, naz popped up in the top 10 but actually didn't PLAY HARD enough to stay there)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Quite possibly, it seems like a quarter of the forums were. I know that there were a few other shield guys who hadn't already mentioned it. (also, naz popped up in the top 10 but actually didn't PLAY HARD enough to stay there)

may have been fresh cut pvp then. I took 1st here with like 1141 and had no intention at 800pts but played last 20 or 30 so min and found myself above 1100 so decided to throw my first 3hr shield up and it held.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Finished second (again) with over 1000 points (again) behind a player that didn't need the 4* cover (again). Thanks to LoreNYC though for being kind enough to agree to take a top 5 to give me a chance at first and to Beee for not hopping past me at the end. Settling for top 5 when you don't need the covers and there a re people in reach that do is classy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Yikes--probably not worth it. icon_e_smile.gif I saw him unshield at the end so i had to do the same because I had already dropped down to fifth and he was going to bump me out. In the end I kept my position but the guy who was in fourth got booted so sixth.

I was watching last hour of event with my friend, tbh it was hilarious to us. Dont want to judge anyone cause I dont know his intentions but it seems more and more like pay to win. Most people were doing shield hopping...half with full BP in their rosters, others needed BP but tbh no idea how they could get so many points with their rosters. 2 place - 166 lvl GSBW, 153 lvl fat Thor, 140 lvl IM (4/4/5), 140 lvl Ragnarok and Cap on 85 lvl. 3 place - 127 lvl Sentry (4/5/4), 127 lvl Falcon, 122 lvl BP (dont remember if it was same lvl before) and 55 lvl Cap (2/2/4). If I will ever saw team like this worth so many points I would be attacking them without thinking...

And bout "death brackets"...

zJimLkt.png
  • Spoit
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

may have been fresh cut pvp then. I took 1st here with like 1141 and had no intention at 800pts but played last 20 or 30 so min and found myself above 1100 so decided to throw my first 3hr shield up and it held.
    Oh yeah, I was in your bracket in fresh cut. This one I was in hairydave's (which he posted above) where that wouldn't even get top 5
  • Unknown
    Options
    GreyGore wrote:
    Rank #91 with 1 minute left
    Rank #101 at the close

Literally no chance to respond, so no Black Panther for me!

So glad to spend those hours grinding points to lose it in the last 60 seconds. *sigh*

Ow. I apparently mistimed my shield and came out of shielding with 11 minutes left in the event, but took no hits during that 11 minutes and stayed in the top 50. Score! That was a bit touch and go, I shielded at lower points than I really wanted to thanks in part to not having a lot of playing time over the past 2 days and in part due to suffering a wipe at about 650 points thanks to an opponent running LazyThor getting a turn 2 cascade that included 10 yellow, 8 red and 8 green and enough enviro tiles to use the forest power and rapidly turning that into a mjolnir's, a thunderstrike and 2 Call The Storm (thus using up my health packs a bit quicker than planned).