Comments

• HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I'm here to tank icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Was thinking that there were a few names I recognised in there.

@spoit - about 10 minutes too early

edit: the out of whack sharding is back. Joined 2 and a half hours ago and it took that much time to fill up about 300+ places.
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    Options
    Stuck in another death bracket again with my tinykitty 2* team. Looks like 1 BP card for me at most.

Why is it called sharding? It certainly isn't fun. I'm hardly a 'vet', but I'm getting dumped into brackets chock full of them. I guess they need someone to beat on to get their points up... *sigh*
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Stuck in another death bracket again with my tinykitty 2* team. Looks like 1 BP card for me at most.

Why is it called sharding? It certainly isn't fun. I'm hardly a 'vet', but I'm getting dumped into brackets chock full of them. I guess they need someone to beat on to get their points up... *sigh*

They don't see you unless your MMR is high enough. Brackets don't affect who comes up in your queue. So they may beat you in points, but they won't see you to beat your team unless you get up past 700 I believe. Then everyone can see you.

I don't have any familiar names, but familiar alliances. X2 and Ace of Blades members so far. I don't know who else is hiding down towards the bottom.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Joined 2 hours ago, not seeing familiar nicks besides Vairelome.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    In any case, bring on the Battle of the (Shield)Bros! The roll of Bucky will be played by The Hood.
    Thugpatrol, I just got a defensive win against you. Out of curiosity, are you tanking or did you get a bad board?
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    In any case, bring on the Battle of the (Shield)Bros! The roll of Bucky will be played by The Hood.
    Thugpatrol, I just got a defensive win against you. Out of curiosity, are you tanking or did you get a bad board?
    Tanking for LRs, shamelessly. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Ah ... I failed to notice it was a win in LR and not Cap PVP.

You know that LR wins/losses don't affect your regular MMR, right?
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Misunderstanding. My bad. To clarify, I was tanking in the LCap event to lower my MMR for LRs for easier Iso farming. Since LRs don't really affect your MMR you can get a lot of mileage out of tanking before they start and not touching the other PvPs while they're going on. The loss you got was probably from last night before I went to sleep. I was tanking like a boss while watching TV. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • HairyDave
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Misunderstanding. My bad. To clarify, I was tanking in the LCap event to lower my MMR for LRs for easier Iso farming. Since LRs don't really affect your MMR you can get a lot of mileage out of tanking before they start and not touching the other PvPs while they're going on. The loss you got was probably from last night before I went to sleep. I was tanking like a boss while watching TV. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I was wondering why the LR felt more like clubbing baby seals than usual - I've been tanking this like a boss too icon_e_biggrin.gif

(It was amazing - I climbed to 250 by beating up 1* and under-levelled 2* teams with Patch/Loki/Doom and used one health pack doing it)

Whether it's my **** timing or "Gentle Nudging" in action, I appear to now be in a bracket with at least five X-Men. And kidicarus. And Spoit.

Good thing I don't need two blue covers ...
  • Unknown
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    The loss you got was probably from last night before I went to sleep. I was tanking like a boss while watching TV. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I was wondering why the LR felt more like clubbing baby seals than usual - I've been tanking this like a boss too icon_e_biggrin.gif

Whether it's my **** timing or "Gentle Nudging" in action, I appear to now be in a bracket with at least five X-Men. And kidicarus. And Spoit. Good thing I don't need two blue covers ...
    I'm terrible. I do this every week. And now I have the baby seal clubbing imagery to go with it, thanks for that. But I need Iso more than I need self-respect, so off I go to "educate" some more noobs on how things work around here. icon_razz.gif

And I'm in the same bracket. I will be going to 800 sometime, probably really late, for the HP and not giving a damn about placement. You crazy kids have fun up there.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    pbrownusmc wrote:

They don't see you unless your MMR is high enough. Brackets don't affect who comes up in your queue. So they may beat you in points, but they won't see you to beat your team unless you get up past 700 I believe. Then everyone can see you.

I don't have any familiar names, but familiar alliances. X2 and Ace of Blades members so far. I don't know who else is hiding down towards the bottom.

I guess my MMR must be high enough... I couldn't play fast enough to recoup my points before event end on the last one, and I never was even 'allowed' to break over 600 for the 25hp marker. I tried tanking some last season, but that is the most god-awful boring thing someone can do in a game. What little game time I do have, I don't really see being used to lose on purpose. :/

Edit: And 41st is the lowest I've placed in an event since I had a 1* team... so that's something. I was doing good too, never had a string of bad luck with cascades. Never had to use health packs after just one fight. Just continually knocked down in points faster than I could keep them.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    HairyDave wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    The loss you got was probably from last night before I went to sleep. I was tanking like a boss while watching TV. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Whether it's my **** timing or "Gentle Nudging" in action, I appear to now be in a bracket with at least five X-Men. And kidicarus. And Spoit. Good thing I don't need two blue covers ...
    I'm terrible. I do this every week. And now I have the baby seal clubbing imagery to go with it, thanks for that. But I need Iso more than I need self-respect, so off I go to "educate" some more noobs on how things work around here. icon_razz.gif

And I'm in the same bracket. I will be going to 800 sometime, probably really late, for the HP and not giving a damn about placement. You crazy kids have fun up there.
    5 x-men too? Welp, I guess it's a good season score doesn't matter. No-shield HP gains go!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I guess my MMR must be high enough... I couldn't play fast enough to recoup my points before event end on the last one, and I never was even 'allowed' to break over 600 for the 25hp marker. I tried tanking some last season, but that is the most god-awful boring thing someone can do in a game. What little game time I do have, I don't really see being used to lose on purpose. :/.

Did you do pretty well in Balance of Power? That messed up some 1* and 2* players' MMR big time.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Yeah, I rocked the socks off of Balance of Power considering I didn't shield. I imagine that does put a reasonable explanation to it, but good lord its not fun afterward.

I'm afraid to bother with breaking 500 for a tiny-torch until the last hour of the event. Except being at work makes mid-day finishes pretty terrible...

I guess just do the best with what I have. icon_e_smile.gif
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    5 x-men too? Welp, I guess it's a good season score doesn't matter. No-shield HP gains go!

It's not too bad - just baby 3 and 4s in the top 5
  • HairyDave
    Options
    kidicarus wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

It's not too bad - just baby 3 and 4s in the top 5
    So far icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Sharding is what the devs called it when explaining why they are filling multiple brackets at the same time instead of the "first come, first served" model that was around before (basically it helps ease server load, different "shards" on different servers or something). It came in conjunction with the "gentle nudging", which was grouping more high-scoring forumites together than random chance would suggest should happen. That created quite a few brackets of death in the first 4 or 5 tournaments afterwards. They seemed to tone it down for basically all of last season, but it's back with a vengeance so far in season 4. I haven't started this one yet and I'm hoping not to get slotted into the 1 or 2 spots left open in some veteran-filled bracket when i do.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pbrownusmc wrote:

We're familiar! Woo! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Since fresh cut and now first avenger, I'm starting to see top 10 scores that I haven't seen since the true healing change. Either people are simply pushing harder this season (unlikely, IW yellow cover) or "gentle nudging" is really back icon_neutral.gif