**** Devil Dinosaur (Gigantic Reptile) ****

Options

Comments

• Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZootSax wrote:
    What's the best build for him now? I have mine at 5/5/3 155 but I have 2 purple covers waiting. Any advice?

At max level, raising purple from 3-->5 increases the damage by ~1k, but all other costs & effects remain the same. Both green and red lose ~1k damage just dropping from 5-->4, so you'll be at a relatively significant net loss in damage potential from any configuration that isn't 5/5/3.

That being said, Anniversary Week has taught me the beauty of the new Devil Dinosaur being able to dance opponents to death, so because he's a complete joke character anyway, you could argue that raising the damage on his dance move is silly enough to merit a respec. You're probably better off with the more damaging DD & 2,000 iso, though, assuming you have no interest to champion him.

My $0.02 for what it's worth...which, I guess is $0.02.

Nah, no plans of champing anytime soon. That's what I thought about the damage. Just wanted to check if others had some special insights I was not seeing. I had no trouble with his crash so I will probably sell his purple covers. Thanks
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So his purple is kinda like a bad version of qs black... it does more damage but sometimes costs more and you can't select the tiles.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    So his purple is kinda like a bad version of qs black... it does more damage but sometimes costs more and you can't select the tiles.

Yeah, if his purple worked like QS black it would take a lot of the sting out of the higher AP cost (perhaps, like Moonstone's purple, you would need more covers to have the ability to select more different colors?). Even if the number of randomly moved tiles increased with the number of covers it would be a significant improvement. As it stands, it's just a weak, forgettable ability, save for the animation.
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can someone post his new stats when maxed? Also it would be great to know what his boosted sellback is when he's maxed/champed.

My cover maxed DD @ 170 will currently sell for 23k ISO and 2500 HP. Is it worth it to champ him and use the 3 covers I have and then sell him for the boosted value, or sell him now and start a new one?
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mine's level 287 so it's probably not helpful to you, but he's worth 191500 ISO and 6000 HP. I don't know how much the price goes up for each champ level.

I love the idea of Purple making one free match instead of a random swap. Wouldn't be OP, but would be different and better. (I wish Turul's MPQ Simulator was still around so I could calculate the average AP return of a random tile swap is, but I bet it's like, 0.8)
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3 years later i finally have him fully covered. Yay?...
  • ErikPeter
    Options
    Can someone post his new stats when maxed? Also it would be great to know what his boosted sellback is when he's maxed/champed.

OP will probably be updated pretty soon, but here's a text reprint of the images someone posted a few pages ago. (all at 5 ranks)

Devil Dinosaur (Gigantic Reptile) icon_devildino.png
    Prehistoric Bite 7 greentile.png AP
    Devil Dinosaur grabs the target in his fierce jaws, dealing 2575 damage and taking a bite out of a random 2x2 block of tiles.

Prehistoric Chomp 10 redtile.png AP
    Devil Dinosaur snatches the enemy in his massive teeth, dealing 4851 damage.

Prehistoric Arms 6 purpletile.png AP
    Devil Dinosaur waves his foreshortened forearms ferociously, swapping two random tiles and dealing 1819 damage.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:

OP will probably be updated pretty soon, but here's a text reprint of the images someone posted a few pages ago. (all at 5 ranks)

Devil Dinosaur (Gigantic Reptile) icon_devildino.png
    Prehistoric Bite 7 greentile.png AP
    Devil Dinosaur grabs the target in his fierce jaws, dealing 2575 damage and taking a bite out of a random 2x2 block of tiles.

Prehistoric Chomp 10 redtile.png AP
    Devil Dinosaur snatches the enemy in his massive teeth, dealing 4851 damage.

Prehistoric Arms 6 purpletile.png AP
    Devil Dinosaur waves his foreshortened forearms ferociously, swapping two random tiles and dealing 1819 damage.

Incidentally, I checked someone who had DD max-champed and at 5 covers/level 370, the green damage is 5,309, the red is 9,996 and the purple is 3,746. That seems in line with what a boosted level 271 DD was doing for the past week.

Having used Devil Dino quite a bit during Anniversary Week, the changed abilities have grown on my somewhat. The loss of the 3-cost purple is a big hit to being a more unique character, but my boosted, championed dinosaur was still able to chew through unboosted 4* champs and under-leveled 5*'s in PVP like you'd expect from a non-joke, but lower tier 4*. Not a good 4* character, by any stretch, but hardly "ruined" either...
    (I should note in fairness that I had my best PVP finish--both progression and placement--in over a year in "RRRRAAAWWWR!" which mostly likely skews my perception)
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I tried using Devil Dino with Star-Lord in the DDQ today, and SL's yellow did NOT reduce the cost of DD's purpleflag.png. Was this also the case previously when it cost just 3? (Because it absolutely should, now that the cost has doubled)

EDIT: My mistake!! I thought my champed Star-lord was 5/5/3 at the time, but I'd forgotten that I'd switched him to 5/3/5. Devil Dino's purple can be reduced to 4 when "Everyone with me" is at 5 covers.
  • ErikPeter
    Options
    Level 5 Everyone With Me?

I feel like there maybe was some exception coded in to prevent his power from going below 3 AP, maybe they forgot to take that out when they raised the cost?
  • Professa D
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Level 5 Everyone With Me?

I feel like there maybe was some exception coded in to prevent his power from going below 3 AP, maybe they forgot to take that out when they raised the cost?

I can definitely confirm that there was no hardblock on the power dropping below 3 purpletile.png AP because I used to run 3/5/5 Professor X, 5/3/5 Star Lord and 5/5/3 Devil Dino every day for the final mission of Deadpool's daily quest. it was so much fun spamming tiles at 1 purpletile.png AP and then boosting the **** out of them with Professor X matches all day.

The team would actually work well in PvE as well against slower/goon teams.

I actually submitted an "RIP" photo collage for the Instagram sweepstakes, go check it out @duffman85.
  • richterbelmont10
    Options
    3* player here. After the last 2 weeks I've managed to get 7 Devil Dino covers in my queue. So.... sell for 7000 ISO?
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3* player here. After the last 2 weeks I've managed to get 7 Devil Dino covers in my queue. So.... sell for 7000 ISO?

It's up to you, but I'd say don't; arguments for roster completionism aside[*], 7k ISO is absolutely nothing these days now that there are so many more methods to get it than there used to be. (Yet still not enough for high-end play IMO.)

[* that said, I am biased towards keeping/leveling everyone in the 3* range and up, and don't understand why anyone would regularly ditch even the lower-tier 4* characters]
  • richterbelmont10
    Options

It's up to you, but I'd say don't; arguments for roster completionism aside[*], 7k ISO is absolutely nothing these days now that there are so many more methods to get it than there used to be. (Yet still not enough for high-end play IMO.)

[* that said, I am biased towards keeping/leveling everyone in the 3* range and up, and don't understand why anyone would regularly ditch even the lower-tier 4* characters]
    I'm not really ditching anyone, I just don't have the roster space to collect everyone right now. For instance, I have several 4* in my queue but only one roster spot:

-Devil Dino
    -Spider Woman
    -Ghost Rider
    -Luke Cage Power Man
    -Wasp
    -Star Lord
    -Gwenpool

Because of limited space, I have to make choices, and rostering them all isn't an option right now. So if I'm keeping Dino, it will be at the cost of one of the above characters. I'm thinking that I'd rather have a character I'm going to use than an underpowered one like Dino.
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    I'm actually in kind of the same pickle, DD already didn't seem like a great character and now he seems worse. I'm in 3* transition but got 3 covers, so now I feel like I should ditch him though it seems like a waste.

Throwing 4* covers while having 3 hurts but when am I gonna get more? Next year?
  • ErikPeter
    Options
    There were 9 covers in the anniversary vault. Thanks to some splurging and lucky HP draws, I went through a few vaults, and ended up getting my Dino to level 292. Not only did I get to CHOMP people for 15k damage when he was powered up to 415 which was hilarious, that's 24 CP and 3 LT worth of champion levels: Incredibly lucrative progression, better over time as the CP values increase. assuming the same rate of token gain, I'll probably get another 12 CP and 1 LT out of him next year even if I don't spend cash (or more than double that if I do). Like any champ character he's an investment for the future, and in particular he's pretty easy to get covers for once a year.

You gotta wait for it instead of them trickling randomly over time, but Dino covers are kind of a given (unless they tank the vault or cover odds for some reason, but based on past trends the opposite is more likely). I think he's worth holding onto.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't see it but the thread is 30 pages long now and I'm lazy.

Anyone know what the actual cost to level DDino is? Debating whether to let my 3rd year reward die on the vine or not.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't see it but the thread is 30 pages long now and I'm lazy.

Anyone know what the actual cost to level DDino is? Debating whether to let my 3rd year reward die on the vine or not.

Looks to be 344,346 ISO to level him to 270
  • ErikPeter
    Options
    Dino's costs always look jacked because of his confusing, hidden discount. And possibly are unpredictable (since people only champ him once it's hard to get much info about the process).

The old wiki says he costs 292,654, which is pretty much in line with a 20% discount and my personal experience champing him; however I didn't pay super close attention.

Just to be safe I'd level him one level at a time a few times and check the values with this page: http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Iso_costs. Since they got rid of holding the button to fill the xp bar, his discount could've been altered. (It used to start each level partly full, essentially 'free xp' built in to each level)
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I champed him around anniversary and it was full price for me, but an alliance mate it was discounted. So uh idk? (Whenever I leveled him up he would be 0/x but my alliance mate would be y/x because of the discount)