*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• In the DC tournament the 5 red version really paid off, getting rid of Thor 1-2 turns earlier as he's about to work with yellow&green...
    I really enjoyed: Onslought+Retribution, You and WHAT army?
  • My punisher is at 5/3/5 and I've got a green cover in que, but don't think I'm going to respec. I wouldn't dare touch 5 red and I use the 5 black so much. I rarely use Punishers green as is.
  • gambl0r312
    gambl0r312 Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    abuelo wrote:
    It'd be nice if there was a visible representation when they were under 20/40%
    I eyeball the red cross icon. Hasn't failed me yet.

Someone mentioned (in another thread?/ this thread? ...not sure) that when that red cross icon is "wavering" back and forth, that it is a pretty safe assumption the hit points are < 30 % for that target ( or for your team members ).

Very safe assumption if your Punisher has 5 Red Covers ( for the < 40% kill ), and very useful against L230 DA targets ( Juggernaut, you are going down! ) in PvE events like Hulk, etc.

I've been double checking against the calculator on my phone, and it has worked every single time that the red cross is doing its "wavering" dance...

So I guess there IS a visible representation... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Still might want to check it mathematically if you run only 3 Red Covers with its < 20% Kill stat for the 5/5/3 Punisher Build
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    well, 30% is also very easy to see because the cross is divided into equal thirds...
    it's 40% that's tricky to tell
  • Why does Punisher's green power suck so much?

My Punisher is currently lvled to 109 with a 5/4/4 spread.

Green power will do like, 100 damage most of the time. Is the strength of the power supposed to come from the accompanying strike tiles? Because those aren't really so super either.

Just seems like a 3* character should be more powerful than that.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    FoxMulder wrote:
    Why does Punisher's green power suck so much?

Green power will do like, 100 damage most of the time. Is the strength of the power supposed to come from the accompanying strike tiles? Because those aren't really so super either.

Green is his most powerful ability: level 5 green adds 3 100 damage strike tiles, which represents a ton of extra sustained damage (900 extra damage per molotov, 300 extra a turn just off of basic matches, etc). Its not about the upfront damage with judgement, but rather the sustained damage throughout the course of the match. Having green at 4 instead of 5 probably makes it feel less useful as well.
  • Ok, let's compare Frank's abilities.

Black
    Level 3: Increases initial team damage to 107.
    Level 4: Increases Attack tile damage to 11.
    Level 5: Reduces Countdown to 2.

Attack Tile is quite useful, that's obvious. Countdown is the main drawback though. From what I see, people focus on the AoE aspect of this ability, treating Attack Tile as a bonus. Thus lvl 4 and 5 are hard to call "mandatory".

Green
    Level 3: Creates 2 Strike tiles.
    Level 4: Increases Strike tile strength to 17.
    Level 5: Creates 3 Strike tiles.

At level 5 and maxed Punisher, damage is increased by 104 per Strike tile. Which makes +312 dmg total.
    Drawback - random tiles destroyed, which can happen in destroying Your own Strike / Attack / Countdown tiles. Also possible cascades can destroy newly created Strike Tiles. Low initial damage.

Red
    Level 3: Downs target if their health is below 30% of max.
    Level 4: Increases base damage to 236.
    Level 5: Downs target if their health is below 40% of max.

We all know that this ability is mostly for downing targets, not really making damage. Though it comes in handy a lot of times (2x Retribution - first to get enemy into 40% hp range, second to finish them).
    Difference between lvl 3 and 5 is, for lvl230 enemies, 1k hp or above.
    Drawback - time. You need to calculate quickly if the enemy is already in the 40% hp range.

My build: 355.

Why 3 Black and 5 Green? Synergy. I get much more damage when first using green and then throwing Molotov. Instead of 557 dmg from Molotov (lvl141), I get 869. 869 to each enemy. If, by any chance, my countdown tile survive, it will deal another x + 312dmg per turn.
    What I want to say is that You get a **** load dmg more when using both skills. Diminishing returns from going 5Black aren't worth it.

Honestly - try it one day. I wasn't a fan of green. Until I decided to give it a try.
    Launching 2 greens on the same turn, then matching purple or blue(OBW Espionage) usually means game over. Not to mention possible cascades. Quite often I have a situation when I launch 2 greens, then got cascades and 5k hp enemy just vanishes.
  • FoxMulder wrote:

Green is his most powerful ability: level 5 green adds 3 100 damage strike tiles, which represents a ton of extra sustained damage (900 extra damage per molotov, 300 extra a turn just off of basic matches, etc). Its not about the upfront damage with judgement, but rather the sustained damage throughout the course of the match. Having green at 4 instead of 5 probably makes it feel less useful as well.

No way his green is more powerful than his red.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    Ok, let's compare Frank's abilities.

Black
    Level 3: Increases initial team damage to 107.
    Level 4: Increases Attack tile damage to 11.
    Level 5: Reduces Countdown to 2.

Attack Tile is quite useful, that's obvious. Countdown is the main drawback though. From what I see, people focus on the AoE aspect of this ability, treating Attack Tile as a bonus. Thus lvl 4 and 5 are hard to call "mandatory".

Green
    Level 3: Creates 2 Strike tiles.
    Level 4: Increases Strike tile strength to 17.
    Level 5: Creates 3 Strike tiles.

At level 5 and maxed Punisher, damage is increased by 104 per Strike tile. Which makes +312 dmg total.
    Drawback - random tiles destroyed, which can happen in destroying Your own Strike / Attack / Countdown tiles. Also possible cascades can destroy newly created Strike Tiles. Low initial damage.

Red
    Level 3: Downs target if their health is below 30% of max.
    Level 4: Increases base damage to 236.
    Level 5: Downs target if their health is below 40% of max.

We all know that this ability is mostly for downing targets, not really making damage. Though it comes in handy a lot of times (2x Retribution - first to get enemy into 40% hp range, second to finish them).
    Difference between lvl 3 and 5 is, for lvl230 enemies, 1k hp or above.
    Drawback - time. You need to calculate quickly if the enemy is already in the 40% hp range.

My build: 355.

Why 3 Black and 5 Green? Synergy. I get much more damage when first using green and then throwing Molotov. Instead of 557 dmg from Molotov (lvl141), I get 869. 869 to each enemy. If, by any chance, my countdown tile survive, it will deal another x + 312dmg per turn.
    What I want to say is that You get a **** load dmg more when using both skills. Diminishing returns from going 5Black aren't worth it.

Honestly - try it one day. I wasn't a fan of green. Until I decided to give it a try.
    Launching 2 greens on the same turn, then matching purple or blue(OBW Espionage) usually means game over. Not to mention possible cascades. Quite often I have a situation when I launch 2 greens, then got cascades and 5k hp enemy just vanishes.

His Molotov cocktails do 557 to each member of the other team.
  • MikeHock wrote:
    Just what I wrote. So basically You deal 1671dmg with one Molotov. However, if You first launch green, You deal 2607dmg.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:
    Just what I wrote. So basically You deal 1671dmg with one Molotov. However, if You first launch green, You deal 2607dmg.

I don't believe that is what you wrote... Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Looks like you only mention 557 dmg for a Molotov cocktail.

"Why 3 Black and 5 Green? Synergy. I get much more damage when first using green and then throwing Molotov. Instead of 557 dmg from Molotov (lvl141), I get 869. 869 to each enemy. If, by any chance, my countdown tile survive, it will deal another x + 312dmg per turn."

I also don't understand how the 5 green yields 2607 damage in one turn. It does the initial damage, which is low and then throws down 3 strike tiles on 103 each.
  • MikeHock wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:

I don't believe that is what you wrote... Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Looks like you only mention 557 dmg for a Molotov cocktail.

"Why 3 Black and 5 Green? Synergy. I get much more damage when first using green and then throwing Molotov. Instead of 557 dmg from Molotov (lvl141), I get 869. 869 to each enemy. If, by any chance, my countdown tile survive, it will deal another x + 312dmg per turn."
    Ok, should've added "557 dmg to each enemy from Molotov". Now it's fine?
    I also don't understand how the 5 green yields 2607 damage in one turn. It does the initial damage, which is low and then throws down 3 strike tiles on 103 each.
    Black grants 2607dmg when You first use green and them Molotov.
  • FoxMulder wrote:

The strike tiles create a ton of damage over time, just calculate it. Even yours. The suggested build has 5 in green that adds one more tile, 50% increase, absolutely worth it. Also the tiles are put randomly on any color and appears the most stable special tiles with longest survival. So you can enjoy the 300 extra damage many times -- 3 per molotov or other AOE ability, once per tile match/cascade (doubled by espionage). If you have an attack tile out from molotov, another go per turn.

Frank is more than okay *** character, he is really the one man army, has direct damage, area damage, enhancement, tile destruction. 3 good usable abilities that make a dent. What else do you want really?
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Uhm...

Currently Im running my Punisher with an 3/5/5 OBW, but Im really undecided whom to throw in as a 3rd Member.. preferably for yellow or passive abilities since green/red/purple/blue/(black) are already covered quiet well...

My first guesses are Hood (quishy, and getting covers is...), BP (can tank an attack or 2, and black can be usefull once in a while) or IM M40 (3yellow is actually awesome, it gives u blue/red/green.. so 2 turns after getting the yellow ur free to shoot all ur weapons lol).
    Any oppinion on who of those 3 would be worth building up for the team? o.o
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    nihilium wrote:
    Uhm...

Currently Im running my Punisher with an 3/5/5 OBW, but Im really undecided whom to throw in as a 3rd Member.. preferably for yellow or passive abilities since green/red/purple/blue/(black) are already covered quiet well...

My first guesses are Hood (quishy, and getting covers is...), BP (can tank an attack or 2, and black can be usefull once in a while) or IM M40 (3yellow is actually awesome, it gives u blue/red/green.. so 2 turns after getting the yellow ur free to shoot all ur weapons lol).

Undecided on Hood because his low hp scares me, but him fueling a Punisher must be pretty good. I dislike IM40 due to his blue being a liability on defense and him only really having 1 relevant ability in yellow. If you're still using OBW on your team, then I'm guessing that you don't have a ton of 3* covers to work with, so it really depends on your pool of characters for the 3rd member that makes most sense. C. Mags + Punisher is one of the most broken things you can do in the game right now (besides Patch + C. Mags...) so hed be an amazing 3rd even though he completely obsoletes OBW. If you wanted to actually keep OBW on the team, then lazythor or BP probably work the best, but I'm not too excited about those guys with OBW on the same team.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    nihilium wrote:
    Uhm...

Undecided on Hood because his low hp scares me, but him fueling a Punisher must be pretty good. I dislike IM40 due to his blue being a liability on defense and him only really having 1 relevant ability in yellow. If you're still using OBW on your team, then I'm guessing that you don't have a ton of 3* covers to work with, so it really depends on your pool of characters for the 3rd member that makes most sense. C. Mags + Punisher is one of the most broken things you can do in the game right now (besides Patch + C. Mags...) so hed be an amazing 3rd even though he completely obsoletes OBW. If you wanted to actually keep OBW on the team, then lazythor or BP probably work the best, but I'm not too excited about those guys with OBW on the same team.

A scary combo I have recently come across just because of the how well they work together is a 5/3/5 BP with well any combo of C. Mags. BP, can tank that yellow for C.Mags, BP's blue sucks so they don't compete, C. Mags creates cascades which generates........Envior tiles, which BP loves to have and since he gets yellow, he gives C. Mags strike tiles which.....C. Mags loves. Basically you spam away with C.Mags and cast BP yellow and black whenever you can. Now I agree Punisher and Patch are probably better in terms of raw damage with C. Mags, but for a guy that can literally feed off of the cascades that C.Mags red creates, it's BP
  • nihilium
    Yeah, but like already guessed I dont have a C.Mags and they rnt gonna promote his covers like they do BP atm, so no chance of using him.

If I can find a useable replacement for OBW Ill use it, but with 3k hitpoints and her abilities not based on her own dmg imho shes fine. Mostly I need her for heal/anti-counters and AP steal. Thats why Id like a char who can tank dmg for her while being usefull with yellow :/

Lateron when I have xxx max lvl 3stars I can of course replace her, but since thats not the case atm I am really looking for help in finding a 3rd teammate thats worth spending ISO on and thats actually obtainable icon_e_smile.gif
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    nihilium wrote:
    Yeah, but like already guessed I dont have a C.Mags and they rnt gonna promote his covers like they do BP atm, so no chance of using him.

If I can find a useable replacement for OBW Ill use it, but with 3k hitpoints and her abilities not based on her own dmg imho shes fine. Mostly I need her for heal/anti-counters and AP steal. Thats why Id like a char who can tank dmg for her while being usefull with yellow :/

Lateron when I have xxx max lvl 3stars I can of course replace her, but since thats not the case atm I am really looking for help in finding a 3rd teammate thats worth spending ISO on and thats actually obtainable icon_e_smile.gif

Thor or lazy Thor with OBW and Punisher. I'm using this combo since I don't have enough covers on C.Mag and Spidey.
  • Or easy to obtain OBW + MStorm. zero threat factor, but occasionally is able to win on defence.
  • nihilium
    Emeryt wrote:
    Or easy to obtain OBW + MStorm. zero threat factor, but occasionally is able to win on defence.

But it invites ppl to hit u, because of the low hit points :/
    BP is probably more deterring in the hit point department lol

*sigh*
    </3 Lazy Thor, why cant they make a cool, usefull char with a usefull yellow ability.. or just fix BP... lol