*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• Kiamodo wrote:
    mechgouki wrote:
    Kiamodo wrote:
    Yep. I went this build. 5/5/3 is the best.

This statement is utter ****.

It is the build that works best for you, but NOT the best build. Huge difference.

I still don't get it why so many people still believe that Black absolutely has to be at Rank 5 to be worth a damn.

It doesn't.

5/5/3 is the best for me and my team. 16 green and I can potentially add 6 strike tiles for my team which will bump up Molotov damage to every player on the other team to about 1700 per team member. I value my retribution red but I find I can use it more often than not at the 30% level just fine. I look at what my character is more likely to use on defense and the AI will use molotovs better than retribution.

I am finding that getting the black for offset molatovs isn't too hard and with strike tiles down means a hard hitting tile laid every turn which is an asset on those matches in PvP against say Spidey where you are stealing blue (slows you down) to stop him stunning go a lot faster than they used to
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    So what, We have 6 colors right? Most of the time you will have 3 champs, 3 abilties. 9 skills, 6 colors, gives us in theory 3 overlaps. I don't mind overlaps as long as the costs are relatively close, that's why Psylocke overlays well with Punisher, their reds are the same and their blacks are one apart, they don't compete for the other two, those I wouldnt' mind having on the same team. Same with Hulk they share all three colors, but black is passive for hulk, red isn't great, and green is going to punisher, in essence Hulk is the Punisher's meat shield. When they do overlap and are differently costed enough, then they should compliment each other, which is why i like pairing the Hood with Punisher. Hood's Black, actually makes Punisher's black better, and is more effective in single target. the Hood can make an already casted Punisher Molotov go sooner, they don't compete for colors aside from that. I like to get a rainbow and go damage, tank, support. For me since I don't have a spidey blue icon_e_sad.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    So what, We have 6 colors right? Most of the time you will have 3 champs, 3 abilties. 9 skills, 6 colors, gives us in theory 3 overlaps. I don't mind overlaps as long as the costs are relatively close, that's why Psylocke overlays well with Punisher, their reds are the same and their blacks are one apart, they don't compete for the other two, those I wouldnt' mind having on the same team. Same with Hulk they share all three colors, but black is passive for hulk, red isn't great, and green is going to punisher, in essence Hulk is the Punisher's meat shield. When they do overlap and are differently costed enough, then they should compliment each other, which is why i like pairing the Hood with Punisher. Hood's Black, actually makes Punisher's black better, and is more effective in single target. the Hood can make an already casted Punisher Molotov go sooner, they don't compete for colors aside from that. I like to get a rainbow and go damage, tank, support. For me since I don't have a spidey blue icon_e_sad.gif

We have 6 colors, but you're forced into bringing a featured character for a ton of these PvP tournaments and PvE events: if that character is either useless due to being underleveled or has complete color overlap with your other 2 members, then you're going to be solely relying on the 2 characters you bring. Given the scarcity of iso in this game, your roster most likely will only have 1-2 main 3* characters, and so it's best to diversify as much as possible with those 2 characters. I don't like Punisher+Psylocke: Psylocke's blue is very mediocre so you would bring her for her red/black, but her black is similar enough to Punisher's black (better single target dps but worse aoe dps) that the only thing she's really adding to Punisher's skillset is her red, which while good, isn't good enough for me to personally level her. I like having my roster as diverse as possible, and Punisher/Psylocke feels too samey for me. As for Hulk, I actually have maxed Punisher/Hulk, and I only bring Hulk out on defense due to how weak his two offensive abilities are compared to Punisher: again, having another character that compliments Punisher's colors well such as C. Mags just feels a lot better on offense. Hood is good with Punisher because of how his blue feeds into all of Punisher's abilities. I don't see why you'd use intimidate with molotov: the attack tiles are a bonus and you only really need 1 out to exploit strike tiles, and think that you'd be better off just using another molotov instead if the enemy team has more than 1 guy alive.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in the 3/5/5 crowd. The Strike Tile + Molotov combo is still completely viable because his initial AOE damage does not change between level 3 and level 5. The only thing that changes is the Strike tile damage and the countdown tile cooldown. If you're spamming black, you're not relying on the strike tile at all. 90% of your damage comes from the initial AOE.

His red is amazing to take down high HP threats. I'm talking IM40, Hulk, and Black Panther here. That's 2900 damage for 8 red AP to take down IM40, 3900 Damage for 8 red AP to take down Hulk.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk wrote:

We have 6 colors, but you're forced into bringing a featured character for a ton of these PvP tournaments and PvE events: if that character is either useless due to being underleveled or has complete color overlap with your other 2 members, then you're going to be solely relying on the 2 characters you bring. Given the scarcity of iso in this game, your roster most likely will only have 1-2 main 3* characters, and so it's best to diversify as much as possible with those 2 characters. I don't like Punisher+Psylocke: Psylocke's blue is very mediocre so you would bring her for her red/black, but her black is similar enough to Punisher's black (better single target dps but worse aoe dps) that the only thing she's really adding to Punisher's skillset is her red, which while good, isn't good enough for me to personally level her. I like having my roster as diverse as possible, and Punisher/Psylocke feels too samey for me. As for Hulk, I actually have maxed Punisher/Hulk, and I only bring Hulk out on defense due to how weak his two offensive abilities are compared to Punisher: again, having another character that compliments Punisher's colors well such as C. Mags just feels a lot better on offense. Hood is good with Punisher because of how his blue feeds into all of Punisher's abilities. I don't see why you'd use intimidate with molotov: the attack tiles are a bonus and you only really need 1 out to exploit strike tiles, and think that you'd be better off just using another molotov instead if the enemy team has more than 1 guy alive.

I use Intimidate when only 1 guy left
    I use Molotov when 3 guys
    I have to see board with 2 guys on what to use.

If both guys are high on health then Molotov, if one guy is lower, then.... Intimidate does 1186 Molotov does 557. say you go punisher green into a black, well you have another 312 strike tile damage sitting there. If I use intimidate I can do 1498 damage, and I decrease any counters, which if one is up (only lvl 3 black) thats an additional 94 dmg plus the 312 for 406. If I can down the guy with Intimidate, I can come back with 406 on the second guy, vs. doing 557 + 312= 869 to both, but I might not be able to decrease counter from a previous molotov to 0 creating an attack tile, thus 1st guy could survive. Thats where intimidate is nice, you can decrease the counter on a prior molotov from 1 to 0 in that turn creating an attack tile and if you can kill the first guy, thats bonus damage to the second guy plus tile match damage.

Thats why punisher and Hood go well togther, Hood's black actually can make Punishe'rs black more effective. In essence running Hood and Punisher turns your Punisher into a 5/5/5 punisher, minus the extra 19 damage you get from a lvl 4 black punisher, but he gives you the lvl 5 ability with his intimidate, try it, it's really nice.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    ^ When punisher's CD tile, lowered by Hood, refreshes (after creating a strike tile) , is it now 2 instead of 3?
  • Phaserhawk
    eidehua wrote:
    ^ When punisher's CD tile, lowered by Hood, refreshes (after creating a strike tile) , is it now 2 instead of 3?[/quote

I'm not sure what you are asking but yes. If you have a Punisher CD tile out, and you activate Hood's Indimidate, it will lower the CD of that tile by 1. If you have a lvl 3 black Punisher, you put out a tile it will be 3 on the CD, if it is down to 1 and you use Intimidate, it will go to 0, create an attack tile, then go back to 3.

I may have confused you by saying it was equivilant to having a 5/5/5 Punisher, yes you would have to keep activating Intimitade to get this feature, but in all practicality it is.
  • Puritas wrote:
    Now that respec is here I'm revisiting my punisher...
    5/5/3 is the best overall build I feel - guaranteed to always have one atk tile proccing your strike damage, whereas often at 3 black it and the moly get cleared too fast.

My goto now is patch though, so I can't decide if I want to spec punisher 3/5/5 and bring him out only for 230 hero/villains... :/
    I feel like post Spider-Man nerfs we'll be seeing a lot less of those fights, since he's the main reason those fights got added in the first place :/

Wow, that's really bad advice.
  • I'm having a really hard time deciding which 3* to level. I've got Punisher to 100 so need a partner for him. A lot of the 3* seem to have the same colours though.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    abuelo wrote:
    I'm having a really hard time deciding which 3* to level. I've got Punisher to 100 so need a partner for him. A lot of the 3* seem to have the same colours though.

I have been using him with classic magneto and spider-man whenever it is possible. It gives you a rainbow team abilities wise and I feel spidey and mags work especially well together because spider-mans passive purple and mags purple ability make purple matches great.
  • As I don't have Spider Blue, together with Frank I use OBW all the time, lately with Storm* for PvE. This team fully complements each other, especially (obviously) on Jungle or Desert maps.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    dlaw008 wrote:
    Hulk is not a bad teammate for Punisher. I see people swapping Punisher out with Hulk for defense, but I like them together on offense, and I've seen more defensive victories since I put them together. On offense, Hulk should tank for Punisher on Red and green, which leads to anger which leads to more strike tiles. On defense, I can only imagine that Punisher's low AP costs can sneak up on opponents, while hulk is just a difficult nut to crack. I have had decent success with Hulk, Punisher and Magneto. It is odd that Punisher tanks purple for me in that configuration, but it seems to work okay. I do miss in game healing, though.
    I use Hulk Punisher and OBW, its an amazing team. You have hulk tank and flood the board with greens then spam strike tiles which make Hulks Anger do more damage to the whole enemy team and you have OBW to heal, steal, and double tap on the strike tiles. I tend to gain points over all when I get attacked. I'm hoping to get my ***Spidey maxed next to replace my OBW but right now I love my team.
  • TheWetDog wrote:
    Puritas wrote:
    5/5/3 is the best overall build I feel - guaranteed to always have one atk tile proccing your strike damage, whereas often at 3 black it and the moly get cleared too fast.

My goto now is patch though, so I can't decide if I want to spec punisher 3/5/5 and bring him out only for 230 hero/villains... :/
    I feel like post Spider-Man nerfs we'll be seeing a lot less of those fights, since he's the main reason those fights got added in the first place :/

Which part? All he said was 5/5/3 is his preferred build which a lot of others swear by as well.

But he's thinking about changing it to 3/5/5 which pretty much every one else prefers.

Two good (but completely different) builds.

As for speculation on the future of 230 fights I think we really need to wait and see. Just because Spidey makes those easy does not mean that was the reason they were added. All that would have accomplished is guaranteeing those with a 5 blue Spidey will start overusing him.

A different line of thought is he will be made more fun because those fights made people overuse him (I know he is overused in PVP as well) so unless I missed an official statement I don't think we know for sure.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheWetDog wrote:
    Puritas wrote:

Which part? All he said was 5/5/3 is his preferred build which a lot of others swear by as well.

He's just trolling Puritas. You can tell by his signature. Also, someone's been creating troll accounts like: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2809 and memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2807. Luckily, their posts have been swiftly deleted. Now I'm curious what motivated them to begin trolling this one specific player. icon_razz.gif
  • jojeda654 wrote:
    He's just trolling Puritas. You can tell by his signature. Also, someone's been creating troll accounts like: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2809 and memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2807. Luckily, their posts have been swiftly deleted. Now I'm curious what motivated them to begin trolling this one specific player. icon_razz.gif

Yep, I definitely didn't notice the sig, that's just weird!
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Oh haha
    Well, since he seems so keen that everyone find out, it's mechgouki

he couldn't resist flaming the community mod thread
    pushed Ice into giving him probably forum's first temp ban
    immediately made a new account and flooded my inbox with **** threats
    and earned himself a perma ban

back on topic though
    I respec'd my punisher 3/5/5 recently b/c of all the extra covers I had that were about to expire, so I figured playing with it for a couple days was more interesting than 1k iso
    I must say, 5 red is freaking baller. The extra damage on execute gets lost somewhat often (I swear, every time I'm just about to get someone in execute range I get an insane series of cascades that does 3k+ dmg), but 5 red makes the damage really worthwhile icon_e_smile.gif
  • jojeda654 wrote:
    Now I'm curious what motivated them to begin trolling this one specific player. icon_razz.gif
    mechgoku got real mad about threads:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4301
  • For all the people who are not sure if 5 in red is a good option:

Hulk lvl230. Boosted.

_kEVyP.gif
  • Look at your AP, literally all you've done is save a few minutes.
  • abuelo wrote:
    Look at your AP, literally all you've done is save a few minutes.
    What kind of an argument is that? Last time I heard it's crucial to finish matches faster, especially in the last hours/ minutes of PvP.