True Healing Discussion (Live 6/25)

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    squirrel85 wrote:
    Why would you EVER use ags with obw? Unless you have no other blue, there's no point.

Would you use an ability that said "11 AP: You don't take damage for the remainder of the battle"? Because that's what it will often be
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's a reminder:

There are 7 one-stars.
    There are 12 two-stars
    There are 21 three-stars.

So basically this "diversity" nonsense works if you've gotten to the 3* level where there's a semi-decent selection. Otherwise, it'll be open-season as you try to march through PVP with a Moonstone-Bullseye roster because everyone else is dead after an hour or three.

Alternative: Buy boosts, buy health packs, buy 3* covers, buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy ........
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2014
    Options
    A quick sidebar... just because someone's post does not agree with your point of view doesn't mean that their rep should take a hit for it. They didn't make the healing changes.

(BTW, I realize that this post means that my rep will take some hits but I felt like it needed to be said)
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    One of the intentions with this change is to cut down on things like Prologue Healing, which prolongs play time through something that is pretty obviously just a time intensive process that doesn't involve actual strong gameplay. It's something people do because it's there, much like tanking. It's not something that's fun. It's not something that's enjoyable. It's something that exists and is taken advantage of because of pure efficiency.

Actual strong gameplay leads to fighting high level enemies. Fighting 395 enemies isn't fun. The only way to avoid high scaling is to take damage during events. The only way to offset the damage is to heal.

But healing isn't fun, apparently.

So the only fun thing to do is to take damage, then wait for your health packs to recharge.

Although, taking damage in a game isn't fun unless you gain something from it, like a bloodletting skill where you gain a damage buff or the Psycho in Borderlands 2.

So... I guess events aren't fun?

I don't mind that you want to eliminate prologue healing. Just don't tell us what we think is fun or not. That's for us to decide.

Oh God, I didn't event think about the 395 enemies...hell even 200+

It matters not now, you want to compete when your scaling is high? I hope you have a couple itunes gift cards at the ready. If not, you're SOL.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Talking about spidey, does this swing the preferred build back to 3/5/5?

I think it puts him in "time travel and sell when he gave you more." Of the 2, yea probably. Or assume blue is 100% unusable and go 5/3/5.

So I read it as 2 possibilities (and I assume ice didn't give more specifics because they haven't decided yet exactly) its either temporary healing a.k.a match armor or a.k.a cannot heal past match damage. That is, its additional health you gain for the match and only the match. the armor only adds damage up to your max hp (unlike a lot of other game's use of "armor" moves). so if you start the match with 200 hp missing, on turn 2 you have 500 missing, drop the heal, now have max and end the match with -100 hp. you would come out of the march with -500 hp. The second option is when you go into a match, that is the max hp you can come ut of it with (using a temp heal). Same scenario, this way you come out with -200 health.

This is a big nerf, though not unwarranted...and doesn't affect ppl in the 3 star range other than ppl who REALLY played too much in a row or ppl who abused spidey/Obw (I feel bad for spidey users though at this point). If they go the "armor" route though I feel the armor should allow you to go above 100% health. That way the moves are actually useful.

Overall, what this really does is push the meta to be that ppl have to play shorter spans more often to allow healthpacks to heal. This should still allow you to get 6-15 matches in every 4 hrs or so. Personally? I hadn't abused story healing probably since Feb or so (not much even then..I just find it boring)...so I don't personally take a hit for this. Who this does affect? Ppl using Obw. Which means either ppl abusing her for pushing over a long time in the 3*** (glad its gone) or ppl in the 2** range (might help move it from being Obw on 99% of teams. Probably not, but its a thought in ppl's head now lol).

I think most ppl complaining either are looking at it from a slippery slope perspective or from a position of using it so much that they are afraid of change. I can tell you from personal experience that high scores are just as easy to get without using healing characters. You just won't be ramping up from 0-900 in one sitting, prologue healing after every match anymore.

All that said, this really should come with a change to recharge times.

Pre-post edit: read a little of the thread. So it turns out its the "armor" one of the two. So I would recommend completely changing these "temp heal" moves to now be called "armor" and instead of healing at all, straifht up just adds health that can go above max. Spidey's yellow,for example, might have a point if on turn 3 you cascade.into 12 yellow, a heal.is useless. An armor can throw up instantly and be useful.

So...
    -remove team heals (they are basically making all team moves "temporary") and turn into armor moves. It never made sense to me that these ppl were team healing, character wise, while hp armor makes sense for characters.
    -lowerthe heal times by about 25-50%.
    -increase the amount of hp given in these new "armor" moves. Not a lot. Maybe 20%?
    -watch as the meta, post a sentry nerf, turn out to be something more like "decide to go.for armor moves first, then go.for massivdamage just in case, or go pure damage. A good change imo.

And yes, that would make heal moves more like def tiles...except it does all the def at once, cannot be "destroyed" and makes it harder to simply blast through it with heavy one hit damage. I think that is pretty good if the def is high offhand diff enough from def tiles to warrant use.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pjoe0211 wrote:
    the spiderman nerf most people were ok with

Please send me the URL to the forum you were reading, because most people were apoplectic about the Spidey nerf.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mouser wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    One of the intentions with this change is to cut down on things like Prologue Healing, which prolongs play time through something that is pretty obviously just a time intensive process that doesn't involve actual strong gameplay. It's something people do because it's there, much like tanking. It's not something that's fun. It's not something that's enjoyable. It's something that exists and is taken advantage of because of pure efficiency.

And yet for most people: playing is more fun then not playing. Changes that reduce the amount of time people can choose to spend playing the game are generally not good for player retention in my opinion.

Playing PvE when your nodes aren't at full points only hurts you. [Above 600ish points] playing PVP before your final push and/or shield-hopping session is a waste. Playing SHIELD Sim before the last couple of days just uselessly increases your MMR.

Why does it surprise you that d3p i doing MORE stuff to reduce the amount of time you can choose to spend playing?
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Narkon wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    You know, there was a much simpler solution. You could just lock out of the prologue heroes that heal. Just like that we would have no more Prologue healing. I think the intent behing this change is obvious to everyone. It's to promote healing pack sales.
    Absolutely not the case. I can definitely understand that the intent is that we're making this change to increase revenue through Health Packs. That's not the case. We do think that some players will buy a couple more Packs off the back of this change for a couple days after it. This is the case with any change, such as a buff to an ability for a character. Users then go out and spend some Hero Points on respeccing. But we don't buff or nerf an ability because we want it to bring in revenue. We do it because we believe it will be in the best long term benefit for the game and for the users.

As for locking out True Healers, that also means that any future characters that would heal would also be locked out. Which would be a growing roster as our number of characters expand. As well, It would be pretty horrible for a player to pull a Spider-Man as a brand new player and be told that they can't use them because of a gameplay method they didn't even know exists is there. It's an interesting suggestion, but it doesn't pan out very well across the larger userbase that hasn't already digested more advanced gameplay concepts.

I think you should just put the red check on prolog missions after all 4 rewards have been achieved. Your done here move on to the rest of the game?
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    Options
    So if I sit on the toilette, is that true heal or self heal, or something like that..........you know what I mean.....maybe not.....it was funny at the time..
  • Unknown
    Options
    I really don't like the way this forum has turned into a hate frenzy directed at IceIX. This used to be a civil community. Occasionally one of us would step out of line but simple reminder from another forumite was sufficient for the forum to become civil.

I'm disgusted with the lack of community here right now. Be civil.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Issues editing, so just post seperately. I should say, my above opinions are for pvp. As for pve, it needs a large overhaul most likely and has for a while. Tongue held in that regard as I know prologue healing allows you to actually play...given how characters 100-200 lvls above u destroyed u simply with match damage....maybe they can move back to the old way of doing pve now?
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    someguy wrote:
    The following point has been touched on briefly in this thread but I want to make this crystal clear:

Removing healing in this manner will force players to decide: either buy healing packs or stop playing until their injured characters recover.

Players who decide not to buy healing packs, which will be the majority, will instead put down the game.

Hardcore players who used to grind for hours to place in events will then play an hour or two until their characters are too dead/injured to play.

More casual players who used to only play for an hour or so per session will play even less.

When all players (except for a few whales) play for net fewer hours, this means lower user engagement and more dropoff as players use their newfound downtime waiting for their teams to heal to discover other games or pastimes.

In plain English, players who more frequently put down the game are far less likely to pick it up again.

When the players go away, there will be no one left to pay. This will directly damage D3P/Demiurge's bottom line.

I know you think that making this change will force players to buy more health packs (let's not beat around the bush, that's clearly what this was about or you would simply have disabled healing in prologue but kept it enabled in PVP/PVE events), but it will have other ramifications as well.

This game is not consumer packaged goods where increasing the price of canned tuna in aisle 3 will have no effect on the sales of eggs and bread in aisle 5.

This game is a live, software-as-a-service product with very complex systems in place, many of which you've admitted to not actually having figured out yet (PVE rubberbanding, PVP matchmaking, etc.).

There is no such thing as a simple, quick-and-easy, surgical change to better monetize only one area of the game that will have no effect on others.

Is this change openly hostile to players? Yes. Does it adversely and directly affect player experience? Yes. And surely, these issues will only be articulated by the vocal minority on the forums, who, of course, can be safely ignored.

However, I repeat: this change will also lead directly to decreased user engagement, attrition, and lower player population that will hurt D3P's bottom line.

If you don't want to hurt your company, do not go through with this change. Instead, disable healing in the prologue only.

Really well said, +1111
    I think to your point, my first reaction to this thread was 'man really looking forward to Hearthstone being released on the iphone.'

MPQ used to be the ONLY thing that I obsessively played but with the continuing mountain of P2W (sorry D3, call a spade a spade), the game has become easier and easier to put down for longer and longer stretches.

Hope D3 can see the impacts--they're a data driven company so let's see how much our forum feedback translates into a hit to their bottom line as people really do play/care less.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Good thing a sale was just held to get money one last time from all the people that are about to quit.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    After reading the first five pages of this discussion and skimming the next five, I'm still confused about how the "temporary" healing works.

Option 1: your team's exit health is capped at their entry health. If you win with more health than you entered with, your exit health is bumped down to your entry health.
    Option 2: the game tracks all temp-healed health, then when you victoriously exit, negates all temp-healed health points, which could lead to (many) scenarios in which you win with a living team, but exit with a triple-downed team.
    Option 3: something else.

Which option is it? Does anyone actually know?
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    Options
    Please D3 , release me from this misery of an addiction, let me see my wife and child, yes, yes, shut down prologue for self heal purposes and I you will be able to shut down a few servers because lots of players will be pissed.
    THANKS
  • Unknown
    Options
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Pjoe0211 wrote:
    the spiderman nerf most people were ok with

Please send me the URL to the forum you were reading, because most people were apoplectic about the Spidey nerf.

It was justified at the time, because it wasn't immediately obvious that the crippling nerf to Spidey's purple wasn't intended. After that was fixed, Spidey was still a low-tier character, but not obviously the worst 3*. Now, he'll be the worst 3*.
    Bugpop wrote:
    I really don't like the way this forum has turned into a hate frenzy directed at IceIX. This used to be a civil community. Occasionally one of us would step out of line but simple reminder from another forumite was sufficient for the forum to become civil.

I'm disgusted with the lack of community here right now. Be civil.

The D3/Demiurge team does not value community input, and has made their contempt for us remarkably plain. The consistent lack of communication and their Calvinball approach to stealth patching in the middle of events is not outweighed by the occasional "we're about to make a stupid decision; let's throw IceIX to the lions" thread.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bugpop wrote:

Guess people don't much like being pissed on then told it's raining.

Sure we could just resort to 'shut up and suck up'. Feel free to resurrect any of the praise threads.

Calling out the **** -- no matter if it was born from mere stupidity, ignorance, delusions or direct malice -- *is* part of civil life. Some even say it's quite essential.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    After reading the first five pages of this discussion and skimming the next five, I'm still confused about how the "temporary" healing works.

Option 1: your team's exit health is capped at their entry health. If you win with more health than you entered with, your exit health is bumped down to your entry health.
    Option 2: the game tracks all temp-healed health, then when you victoriously exit, negates all temp-healed health points, which could lead to (many) scenarios in which you win with a living team, but exit with a triple-downed team.

Something else.
    Imagine your character has two health bars, green and red

You never have red health out of battle, only green.
    "over time" healing, health packs, and wolverine healing heal green health
    If you're a non-wolverine healer, any healing ability adds RED health
    As long as you have red health, damage is dealt to your red health, not your green health.
    When you leave a battle, you lose all red health.
    It seems like from what ICEIX has said, your green health+red health can never exceed your max health

So it's like your "option 2", except that there will never be a scenario where you have red health left but no green health, so your characters can't be "downed" on exiting a battle
  • Unknown
    Options
    HailMary wrote:

As IceIX didn't bother to give proper description we can only restrict to interpret the drops.

My interpretation is you simply exit with the lowest health any of your characters had during the battle except for patch/daken/ares where it can be interaction details are unclear.
  • Unknown
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:

Guess people don't much like being pissed on then told it's raining.

Sure we could just resort to 'shut up and suck up'. Feel free to resurrect any of the praise threads.

Calling out the **** -- no matter if it was born from mere stupidity, ignorance, delusions or direct malice -- *is* part of civil life. Some even say it's quite essential.

There's a difference between criticizing the game mechanics, criticizing the company as an entity, and making personal attacks on an individual person working at the company because of what the company's doing. **** up but true!
This discussion has been closed.