1.10.2 Feedback

Options
Cthulhu
Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. We realize that the recent update has had some controversial changes, so we want to take the time to reply to the concerns from the community.

We’ve wanted to increase the number of Events in-game for some time; however, we don’t want to overwhelm players. With too many Events, the game can potentially feel like a grind for casual players. To that end, Trial of the Planes is meant to be an optional Event for those who are looking for a challenge. Rather than spending 60 Mana Crystals on a booster, you can enter Trial of the Planes, which guarantees a booster after your first win (plus a few other rewards along the way). We also know that some are upset that the rewards are not equal for all levels of play. That is intentional as the rewards are balanced for their tiers. If new players decide to jump into the Trial, they will benefit greatly from the booster you get for earning only 5 ribbons. Elder players in the Gold and Platinum tiers have a way to gather Mana Jewels.

We've also rebalanced rewards in several Events. Since the introduction of Coalition Events, we’ve noticed that the game is becoming more difficult for new players. With all the best rewards going to a few top coalitions, it becomes hard for new players to compete. To even out the playing-field a little, we’ve removed the guaranteed Mythics for top coalition rewards - and made leaderboards smaller for most Events. Smaller leaderboards let new players climb higher and get better rewards. If the reward we had in the prize pool wasn’t something you wanted or was something you already had, you now get a reward that should be more meaningful to you.

The release also added Mana Jewels and Masterpieces. We understand the frustration of getting duplicate cards, so we wanted to introduce a system that lets you target the cards you want. By rotating in a new set of cards every two weeks, you can target specific Mythics and Masterpieces while saving Mana Jewels. The Masterpiece collection also guarantees a steady rate of Mythics for players who don’t get them from opening boosters. We want to introduce Masterpieces carefully. Giving out too many Mana Jewels and Masterpieces could potentially upset the current meta. We want Masterpieces to be rare - rather than a staple of every deck. (That said, we’re continually adjusting rewards and Events based upon community feedback and metrics.)

So what about other duplicates?!? We’ve been discussing this frustration internally for some time, and we’re excited to say that we’re developing a new system for using duplicate cards. Converting them into Runes is fine for new players - but we want duplicate cards to be valuable for all players. We plan to have a new system for this in-game within the next few months. This is one of our highest priorities! Stay tuned for more details!

In the meantime, until this new system is released, if you happen to draw a duplicate Masterpiece card, our Customer Support team will compensate you with an Elite Booster, but please keep the duplicate in your inventory until our CS team has addressed the issue for you!

We want to ensure that players in each progression point have clear goals and objectives. The intent is that the first focus of new players is on obtaining more cards to build their collection, getting through the Story Mode, leveling their Planeswalker and learning the fundamentals of the game. Mid-game players should want to focus on participating in events, earning more cards, leveling their Planeswalkers and increasing their color mastery until they can reach Platinum tier. Mana Jewels are intended for elder players - helping them get new Mythics and Masterpieces to continue to lead the way! .

We are still dedicated and working hard on the game. You can rest assured that we read every bit of feedback, and we always go over the notes Brigby puts together. We want to make sure we are building a game that you love - we love it too, and we hope to address all of your concerns in a timely manner.

Thank you for playing Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest!

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So basically - "suck it up guys".

I would go through everything you have said and rebutt and argue point by point but... what's the point? You guys don't actually listen to feedback anyway, you just say you do and do what you want anyway - as clearly evidenced by everything you said here.

Guess i'll stay a retired player then. Thanks for the memories.

PS Btw, you should answer to this thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61276
  • murtagon
    murtagon Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    So what about dups. I have opened two masterpiece packs. I received Yaheeni (a dup) in both packs. Wow is all I can say.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All I can say is my new motto:

Not. Another. Dime.

Also I don't trust a word you say any longer. You gave me hope for this game last week and followed it with the biggest turd you guys have every conceived.

I think its time to request my refund and find a new hobby.
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks for touching base with us. We appreciate your effort to engage the community and I still thing MTGPQ is a fun game to play.

My chief concern is that "elder" players are supposed to be OK with getting Jewels instead of event reward mythics. Right now Jewels are percieved as having very low value because of the amount of time it takes to get a 400 Jewel Elite Pack, and the poor selection of mythics offered by said Elite Packs. If I saved 400 for my first Elite Pack and pulled a Basker or Yahenni I would be pretty bummed.

How does the development team intend to address the difference between perceived and actual value of Jewels to high level players, who are likely enough to get dupes that 400 jewels just seem like too much?

Thanks for all you do. Can't wait to hear more about increasing dupe value in the coming months.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phase wrote:
    Thanks for all you do. Can't wait to hear more about increasing dupe value in the coming months.

Don't be suckered in. There's been things in the works for 'the coming months' for absolutely ages. Its just words meant to placate you. Don't buy it.
  • ogden71
    ogden71 Posts: 21
    Options
    This was a phenomenal game. I even spent some real cash.

This response was the most discouraging thing I have read in awhile.
  • jimilinho_
    jimilinho_ Posts: 292
    Options
    The changes aren't 'Controversial' They're pretty much hated on accross the board, they don't help new players and they've upset almost all the existing ones. That's not 'controversial' that's just 'terrible'.
  • babar3355
    Options
    There have been extensive breakdowns in the rewards structure. The only people who benefit are those who typically place in the 250-500 range. Usually players that are just collecting progression in platinum.

Honestly, your idea of trying to allow mid range players more access to success is noble, but your method of doing so is harmful to virtually all players. Why not split the tiers into more brackets? Let top platinum players move to ruby, emerald, or diamond mastery tiers. Why not improve drop rates for all players so that they don't have such a hard time catching up? Why not do set rotations where only new sets are eligible in events, leveling the playing field frequently. This was the most oppressive option you could have conceived of and I hope and pray that heads roll and profits plummet.

You do realize that newer and mid range players will not have a better chance of catching up to "elder players"? You have actually made it impossible for them to ever catch up to my collection by eliminating their ability to earn their own either through event rewards or coalition rewards. It seems your strategy is to purge all of your "elder players" from the game and start fresh.

Can't you at least bring back your evil icon_greengoblin.png so we can more easily visualize the awfulness of what you are doing to your most dedicated player-base?
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    So what about other duplicates?!? We’ve been discussing this frustration internally for some time, and we’re excited to say that we’re developing a new system for using duplicate cards. Converting them into Runes is fine for new players - but we want duplicate cards to be valuable for all players. We plan to have a new system for this in-game within the next few months. This is one of our highest priorities! Stay tuned for more details!

In the meantime, until this new system is released, if you happen to draw a duplicate Masterpiece card, our Customer Support team will compensate you with an Elite Booster, but please keep the duplicate in your inventory until our CS team has addressed the issue for you!

Interested to hear more about this when you're able to share.

But in the meantime, since this has been stated to us, perhaps one should disable the conversion button in-app in the next build?

When you state duplicate Masterpieces, are you referring to the masterpiece specifically, or the Elite pack draw? I ask, because I did sorta whale and make a pull, but got a duplicate mythic, not masterpiece. If I can be credited with a new attempt that would be wonderful, but I'm not sure this applies.

Thanks!
  • MightyKrakyn
    Options
    When you "balanced out the rewards," you brought the game to a standstill for mid to high level players. Playing with the exact same cards and decks for a month until I can *attempt* to get a new card is not worth my time OR my money. One pull of the mythic wheel is not worth $100. Went through my Google play statements and spent over $2000 since December 17th. I could've created a tournament level paper magic deck, entered tournaments, and won real money with that much investment. You are ripping us off, and this update made so many of us realize it. You could've made the game more open and agreeable with the update, but instead you used it to disguise upcharges. That is really unfortunate.

Time to talk to my credit card company I guess. Take my account, I don't care. Maybe losing 2k in revenue will make you think twice about doing things like this to your players.
  • NDZahmbie
    NDZahmbie Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    D3, I get trying to prevent the rich getting richer problem... but so much of the enjoyment of this game for me is competing for top prizes in Events. I'll occasionally purchase a special mythic bundle to increase my chances in events. I'll grind QB multiple times a week for more crystals and fat packs for the same reason. Without the pull of top prizes in events, and such a dilution of top tier prizes in the form of meager mana jewel handouts, I feel much less motivation to spend $ on this game. I think the rest of the player base at least in part is similarly motivated by top prizes in events and this drives their spending patterns. Something to consider, and I think this is going to work against your revenue goals in the long term.
  • babar3355
    Options
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    The changes aren't 'Controversial' They're pretty much hated on accross the board, they don't help new players and they've upset almost all the existing ones. That's not 'controversial' that's just 'terrible'.

No it was controversial @Jimlinho, don't you remember... only 98% of the community thinks the game is going in the wrong direction, the other 2% hit the wrong button.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    murtagon wrote:
    So what about dups. I have opened two masterpiece packs. I received Yaheeni (a dup) in both packs. Wow is all I can say.
    If it's a Mythic or lower rarity, then you'll most likely want to wait for the upcoming system that addresses duplicates to be implemented. If it's a Masterpiece duplicate though, Customer Support can compensate you with an Elite Booster. Just make sure you leave the duplicate in your inventory during the process!
    Phase wrote:
    How does the development team intend to address the difference between perceived and actual value of Jewels to high level players, who are likely enough to get dupes that 400 jewels just seem like too much?
    In the short term, the team will be monitoring and adjusting the events based on feedback and obtained metrics. On top of that, in the long term, we hope the addition of a system that addresses duplicates will make the unfortunate circumstance of encountering them much more palatable or useful.
  • Zustel1
    Zustel1 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wow. This is the most arrogant response you could have come up with. Have you even read what's been going on over the last week? Or were you counting your money?

As mentioned before, you obviously want to get rid of your playerbase and start over. Well, then the only thing left for us to do is drop the Playstore/Appstore Score so that you can dispose of this game completely.

I'm so disappointed and sad and angry at the moment... This was by far the best mobile game I've ever played and I gladly spent even real money on this because it felt worth it. You ruined all this out of greed and stubbornness.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The introduction of the new duplicate system will be before or after deck slots for which everyone is still looking for?
    Just asking because I need to make plans for 2018 Xmas
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nitymp wrote:
    So basically - "suck it up guys

Yep. That was pretty much a " screw you guys, I'm going home "
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    We've also rebalanced rewards in several Events. Since the introduction of Coalition Events, we’ve noticed that the game is becoming more difficult for new players. With all the best rewards going to a few top coalitions, it becomes hard for new players to compete. To even out the playing-field a little, we’ve removed the guaranteed Mythics for top coalition rewards - and made leaderboards smaller for most Events. Smaller leaderboards let new players climb higher and get better rewards. If the reward we had in the prize pool wasn’t something you wanted or was something you already had, you now get a reward that should be more meaningful to you.
    Why there is no mention about cutting mythics from ALL events ? maybe You are still under the impression that top 5 individual places are rewarded with mythics ? Why instead of saying that You have decided to make this game even harder for newcomers as there is virtually no place to get mythics apart from SPLASHING $$$ on crystals to get devaluated boxes ? I appreciate You did take 5 days to wrote this post but it still is insulting and no amount of clever words will make up for it....

Cthulhu wrote:
    the game can potentially feel like a grind for casual players.

And thats why we have decided to introduce iso8.png focused mainly on 30+ week grinding events to have a chance of not getting mythic dupe, game has never felt more grindy than now, YOUR WELCOME
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Hi Everyone,
    s had some controversial changes,

You mean community outrage 98% against 2% marigin of error type of controverial changes ?
    Cthulhu wrote:
    our Customer Support team will compensate you with an Elite Booster, but please keep the duplicate in your inventory until our CS team has addressed the issue for you!

If you are prepare to wait 2-4 weeks for back and forth countless emails between you and somoeone on the other end asking you the same question for the 5th time.
    Cthulhu wrote:
    The intent is that the first focus of new players is on obtaining more cards to build their collection,
    collection doesnt include mythics so if you are faced against someone who started playing pre 1.10.2 you are screwed!
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Disappointing.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    James13 wrote:
    Interested to hear more about this when you're able to share.

But in the meantime, since this has been stated to us, perhaps one should disable the conversion button in-app in the next build?

When you state duplicate Masterpieces, are you referring to the masterpiece specifically, or the Elite pack draw? I ask, because I did sorta whale and make a pull, but got a duplicate mythic, not masterpiece. If I can be credited with a new attempt that would be wonderful, but I'm not sure this applies.

Thanks!
    Feel free to message me personally if you'd like to discuss this more, but based on purely my own speculation, I feel like disabling the conversion button would lead to more trouble than benefit.

Yes. We are referring to duplicate Masterpiece cards specifically.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    murtagon wrote:
    If it's a Mythic or lower rarity, then you'll most likely want to wait for the upcoming system that addresses duplicates to be implemented. If it's a Masterpiece duplicate though, Customer Support can compensate you with an Elite Booster. Just make sure you leave the duplicate in your inventory during the process!
    What a joke, so if you get a duplicate mythic from a 400 jewel pack, tough toenails. If you get a duplicate masterpiece though, we'll give you another try because we forgot to implement a way to convert those to runes under the existing system.
    Brigby wrote:
    Phase wrote:
    In the short term, the team will be monitoring and adjusting the events based on feedback and obtained metrics. On top of that, in the long term, we hope the addition of a system that addresses duplicates will make the unfortunate circumstance of encountering them much more palatable or useful.
    If by "adjusting the events", you mean increasing the jewels given out, then that would be good. I somehow doubt that is what is meant. Forgive my skepticism.