*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pair IM40 with Patch, game over, done.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    IM40 really needs a buff now that so many newer, stronger 3* are out.

I would like to see the following changes:
    RED - sap less AP from other colours and make damage output dependent on how much is sapped. Max damage if AP "batteries" are at max.
    YELLOW - At level 5 reduce countdown to 2 turns OR do staggered countdown tiles 1 turn, 2 turns, 3 turns (stun after the first countdown tile). In terms of fiction this makes it a slow constant recharge rather than a system reboot the way it works now.

As he is now I wouldn't dream of using him or leveling him beyond what I have already.
  • I've been using IM40 alongside Patch in the current heroic and he's been proving himself useful as support. But outside of that pairing and/or limited roster options I really hate using him and agree he could benefit from some upgrades.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Model 40 has been sitting at 4/3/4 forever. Been a while since we've seen him as a reward. I should be able to max him out after Loki tourney. I'm curious, is there a consensus on his ideal build?
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the consensus is between 5/5/3 and 5/4/4. It probably depends on who you're going to pair him with. I use 5/4/4 paired with GSBW and some blue user (usually Spidey or cMags). IM40's yellow at 4 generates blue, red, green, and purple; at 3 it just generates blue, red, and green. I usually don't have enough green for Sniper Rifle after Recharge goes off, so also generating purple works great for me -- after Recharge, GSBW gets more green and then decimates the opposing team.
  • Dormammu wrote:
    My Model 40 has been sitting at 4/3/4 forever. Been a while since we've seen him as a reward. I should be able to max him out after Loki tourney. I'm curious, is there a consensus on his ideal build?

General consensus is 5/5/3, I think. The 5th point in blue doesn't matter that much, so 5/4/4 is good if you'd rather have 4 points in yellow than 3.
  • grimeon wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:

General consensus is 5/5/3, I think. The 5th point in blue doesn't matter that much, so 5/4/4 is good if you'd rather have 4 points in yellow than 3.
    That's a good point. I might just respec mine to 5/4/4 if I get a yellow in this event
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still a believer in 5/5/2. It's not like people waste iso on him anyway
  • Phaserhawk
    Spoit wrote:
    I still a believer in 5/5/2. It's not like people waste iso on him anyway

I agree, if you are willing to **** him, then yes 5/5/2 is a very good build. However, you are talking 8AP vs. 10AP, that's one more turn. Hell, chances are you've got 9AP, so casting either lvl 3 or 4 is one more turn. Assuming you can keep the tiles safe, is one more turn worth 6 Green AP? It would take you 2 turns to match that, and as we all know green is very valuable. I am very willing to wait 1 more turn on the off chance I can get 6 green AP. Because if you've been matching yellow, there is small chance your tiles get destroyed unless Juggernaut's random, unstoppable Crash (cough, year right, cough, not random) or some other giant match blows them up. You gave up one turn to net you 6 green AP. Really, what's one turn more, to cast recharge, then wait 2 turns for 9 blue and 9 red? wouldn't you like 6 more green, or possibly purple? I'm actually thinking about respecing back to 5/5/3, not because I'm having problems with getting 12 AP vs 10. It's I haven't been finding many uses for purple lately. You dont' need purple with C.Mags even though I thought that, I'm gonna wait for the C.Mags funbalance then go from there.
  • Ya I had him at 1/1/2 for the longest time and just used him as a blue/red battery for spidey and ** wolvie and that was a fun team to play. Sucked on defense but killed it otherwise. Taking the yellow up to 3 def sucks and at first I wanted to take it back but I've found that often times once I have 8 yellow AP I may have been ready to cast recharge but I notice that there is an obvious clump of yellow where the tiles may get placed, putting them in danger, so I think of the one extra turn as a way to break up any clumped yellow which gets me over 10AP and ideally leaving only scattered yellows thus increasing the chances of all 3 countdowns surviving, and the green AP is obviously useful no matter what team you're running.

You could argue that x/x/4 is the same as x/x/3 since it will most likely take 4 match 3s to cast the spell but I've found that I can usually find a match 4 (in any color) that picks up a random extra yellow here or there making it effectively only needing 3 match 3s to go off.

Red and blue powers totally kill him as a viable character IMO unless you have him levelled high enough to use them as a game ending cast. Otherwise the AP drain + self stun are too crucial (unless you're chaining the self-stun in with Patch's best there is for max effect icon_e_wink.gif )
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, if you're going to take it above 2, might as well go to 4 for the extra AP with the same number of matches
  • Phaserhawk
    That's the thing with him. Once you go past 2 in yellow the question is lvl 3 or lvl 4 yellow. The only think you **** on blue is stun at lvl 5 vs. no stun at lvl 4 but the dmg remains the same. To me the lvl 5 blue is pointless, however, IM40 is one of those where his yellow is as good as the characters he's with. I would love to see him reworked. Leave red as is but don't have it drain AP, leave blue as is but get rid of the drain ap as well as lose about 3-4 AP off of it, finally for yellow I would like to see.

Recharge - Yellow 6 AP
    Recharges weapon systems. Creates 3 Countdown tiles that activate after 2 turns, restoring 3 Red AP each. Iron Man is then stunned for 2 turns as systems reinitialize.
    Level Upgrades

Level 2: Each Countdown tile also restores 3 Blue AP. Costs 8 AP.
    Level 3: Each Countdown tile also restores 1 Green, Purple, Black AP. Costs 10 AP.
    Level 4: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Green, Purple Black AP. Costs 11 AP.
    Level 5: Each Countdown tile also restores 3 Geen, Purple, Black AP. Costs 12 AP.
  • 5/4/4 is my new build. I had 5/3/5 forever but it seems the difference between 12 and 14 AP is huge (4 vs 5 matches) just to get back some black AP. Only reason I found to go 5 on Yellow is if you pair with Punisher or a Doom lightning round.
  • My IM40 is at 3/4/1 and I just got the yellow cover reward from juggernaut. Should I use it? Or is it better to aim for 5/5/1?
  • So my IM40 is currently 3/4/1. I just got a second yellow cover from the event. Should I use it? I keep hearing how 5/5/1 is so much better than anything else, and I can't exactly go from 3/4/2 to 5/5/1... IM40 is currently my highest-level 3* (the next-best being magneto with 4/2/1 and Hood with 1/3/2).
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    What will you get from 5/5/1 compared to 3/4/2? You only have IM 40 on your roster for his yellow, he is quite literally a one-trick pony. 1 yellow only feeds red powers, so why not fuel blue, too? 3 yellow is harder to pull off, in the current event I regret having 3 yellow sometimes, but 2 yellow seems a no-brainer.
  • The idea is to get 12-15 red by turn 4. That's... really not bad. And as far as blue powers go, there aren't too many powerhouses other than Magneto in the upper rosters, and he's getting "funbalanced"...
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Blue is not completely useless, and getting 12 yellow early is impossible anyway.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    I would - and did - because he starts generating blue at that stage too. Magneto and CStorm are bestest buddies with a X/X/2 IM40.
  • I mean, what I'm looking at here is the difference between 6 yellow and 8 yellow. That's pretty significant - 6 yellow is one match with a +3 boost, and then I'll have 12 red AP if they all go off even without matching any extra red - enough to get Shieldbro started, do a fair amount of damage with Thor, and one match away from patch murdering someone. 8 yellow seems... a little harder. And while blue isn't useless I can't really think of any pricy good blue abilities. There's IM40's, but 20 is totally unrealistic. Magneto's is the only good one I can think of period, but the whole gist of that is that it's somewhat self-sustaining. I dunno, if you're sure I'll do it...