Daredevil217's 5* Character Ranking and Analysis 2.0 (Updated 06/20/2022)

Comments

• Djbob101
    Djbob101 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    On the 4 characters that are missing from the list. Its to early to properly rank 2 of them Abigail and Elektra(Elektra is pretty good with her yellow and her purple which is interesting, while Abigail is just not good unless she is being used with Ronan or Hawkeye from the 5* Star tier then she is ok.) but Big Wheel is very good and fun to play and works very well with Shang Chi and anyone who helps with matches like Carnage while Sersi is just meh, She is just the definition of a support character. Sersi's yellow is good but I have never used the revive part of her passive. Her Purple is good but I dont understand what her Green even does. Every tyme I cast it i does something else. Also Big Wheel's green should do a little more damage. Ares Green with 6 AP deals more damage. 

So on my rankings, I would place Big Wheel in the top 30 maybe top 20 while Sersi in the top 35 or 40. 

NGL Big Wheel is Big Fun  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Big Wheel is maybe just below Onslaught on my personal list, even though mine is still 2/2/2. It’s a rare 5* these days who is playable unbuilt, and he is real fun with Shang-Chi. I’m still figuring Sersi teams out but I like her more than I expected to.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2022
    I imagine Phoenix should move up a fair bit after her recent buff.  She was actually a threat in her PVP event and her green could end your entire team if you failed to kill her last and let her revive.

having the worst match damage in the entire tier (especially when you want her tanking) hurts immensely." 

she has higher match damage than apocalypse after her buff.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Sheesh, I've been trying to get Wheelie on the Road of Champions but the game just doesn't want to give me covers. I kinda love everything about him: weird powers, giant steampunky graphic that is annoying yet appealing, goofy puns everywhere, sometimes very decent damage laid down unexpectedly because I can't keep track of his passive thing happening, etc,
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    How is Shang Chi so far down on this list?  I agree with most of the rest of the rankings as I have nearly all of DD's top 10 champed (except for ProfX and Onslaught).   5Thor/Shang Chi/Big Wheel is faster than any Okoye or Apocalypse team I can field, more consistent and takes far less health packs.  Only Hulkoye can sometimes be faster but that team sometimes is very inconsistent when a board dries up on green and uses a TON of healthpacks.  Plus it has hard counters like Electro or Wanda. 

Shang Chi has no hard counters.  Colossus, simply means a few more matches on average.  SW same with her retaliation damage unimportant since you can heal it all away.  Killmonger is the closest with his ability to lock crits but even that isn't a hard counter.  

Defensive PvP considerations are far overrated and are only a small consideration when climbing.  At the highest levels of PvP it is all about speed, consistency and shields.  

I do see that BW is not yet ranked but not sure if that really would change DD's ranking of SC.
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Djbob101 said:
    On the 4 characters that are missing from the list. Its to early to properly rank 2 of them Abigail and Elektra(Elektra is pretty good with her yellow and her purple which is interesting, while Abigail is just not good unless she is being used with Ronan or Hawkeye from the 5* Star tier then she is ok.) but Big Wheel is very good and fun to play and works very well with Shang Chi and anyone who helps with matches like Carnage while Sersi is just meh, She is just the definition of a support character. Sersi's yellow is good but I have never used the revive part of her passive. Her Purple is good but I dont understand what her Green even does. Every tyme I cast it i does something else. Also Big Wheel's green should do a little more damage. Ares Green with 6 AP deals more damage. 

So on my rankings, I would place Big Wheel in the top 30 maybe top 20 while Sersi in the top 35 or 40. 

NGL Big Wheel is Big Fun  
    Sersi is decent
    Removing colours from the board doesnt sound that great but its very useful.
    Adding specials onto this power makes it good

You are right about one thing though she is more of a support character but a very good one.
    In current pvp where she and 5witch are boosted matches are quick and easy.
    She is very good boosted
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for the update DD217.
  • SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Thank you for doing this for the community!
  • Davidk777
    Davidk777 Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I appreciate you updating the list. I always to comeback from time to time, to check on who I should go after next. This list have help me a lot in the past. Thank you 
  • nunziotkp
    nunziotkp Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Thank you!!! Such a great resource.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am glad you updated it! While there won’t be any consensus about the ratings/rankings, it is still a wonderful resource for the player pool!

A minor point: Big wheel damage caps at 20 speed points. It cannot go beyond that, so that places a natural cap on the green and red damage. From your write up, it sounded like it can go up to infinite. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:
    I am glad you updated it! While there won’t be any consensus about the ratings/rankings, it is still a wonderful resource for the player pool!

A minor point: Big wheel damage caps at 20 speed points. It cannot go beyond that, so that places a natural cap on the green and red damage. From your write up, it sounded like it can go up to infinite. 
    No I think that’s super important! Is it stated somewhere the cap is 20, or is that something players figured out?  I always assumed that it was self-limiting due to the “automatic spin-out and lose all points” part of his power. I’ll for sure update it because whenever something isn’t inherently stated in someone’s powerset it’s a good thing to add to the write up (ie a “pro tip”). So thanks!
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:

No I think that’s super important! Is it stated somewhere the cap is 20, or is that something players figured out?  I always assumed that it was self-limiting due to the “automatic spin-out and lose all points” part of his power. I’ll for sure update it because whenever something isn’t inherently stated in someone’s powerset it’s a good thing to add to the write up (ie a “pro tip”). So thanks!
    Not stated anywhere, but it was found out by the players. When you reach 20 speed points, it just remains static at 20 and won’t go further. It’s easy to go beyond 20 if you using SC and can infinite moves. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice to see the updated rankings here.
    A few qualms, I think Gargantos is probably rated too high. His best partner is an old old 5* and I am not seeing him too often in PvP yet.
    I also think Jean could move up a few spots. It is probably still too early to rate Kamala but she will certainly be better than the middle of the pack.

Still, great job I really like jumping in here and reading your impressions.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Pleased to see Sersi rated so highly. Imo, she’s easily Shang Chi’s best partner, well ahead of Onslaught. They kill anything quickly and efficiently, boosted or not, and she has tremendous defensive capability when you the player are in control of her. And if there is a more deadly trio than SC, Sersi, Onslaught I have no idea what it is. Even the Sinister, Medusa, Carnage node is quite manageable with them
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    658_2 said:
    Pleased to see Sersi rated so highly. Imo, she’s easily Shang Chi’s best partner, well ahead of Onslaught. They kill anything quickly and efficiently, boosted or not, and she has tremendous defensive capability when you the player are in control of her. And if there is a more deadly trio than SC, Sersi, Onslaught I have no idea what it is. Even the Sinister, Medusa, Carnage node is quite manageable with them
    I prefer P5 cyclops over sersi.  Sersi and  shang overlap on active purple, no overlap with cyc.  His yellow shuffles the board and boosts his team mates match damage and his green stuns, removes special tiles, and adds red to the board.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    658_2 said:
    How are you running Sersi with him?  I've tried her before and it took way too long for things to happen for me to keep doing it.  I'm probably doing something wrong.

Personally, I still find 50GladThor/SC to be the quickest pick 2 for me.  Obviously horrific on defense but they get going fast.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    658_2 said:
    How are you running Sersi with him?  I've tried her before and it took way too long for things to happen for me to keep doing it.  I'm probably doing something wrong.

Personally, I still find 50GladThor/SC to be the quickest pick 2 for me.  Obviously horrific on defense but they get going fast.
    I use Sersi’s purple in turn 1 or 2, depending on the level/danger of the enemy and if I want to use a +1 all (always use a +2 b/p). Once her purple is played and the other colors are concentrated, only Valkyrie makes it is as easy to keep the combo going (although obviously other good options here, like Thor). Sersi choking the other team’s most dangerous power also gives you time to survive cascades and lesser powers in the rare time the board goes dry. 

Jftr, I skipped Cyclops. I don’t see how he tops her on paper, but obviously many think he’s excellent with SC, so maybe I just don’t get it.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Sersi a lot. She is a great slot in third on many teams. She does pair well with Shang chi it just takes a while to get them going.
    She is good for ap denial. She is good for board manipulation and with the right team she does good damage with the match 5 bonus