Your WORST MPQ moment of the day (REALITY thread)

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel, D3GO and Demiurge are either listed companies or owned by listed companies. Investors invest in companies because they expect them to make money. If you tell your investors you are not interested in making money, they will dump your stocks. Another way to look at this is if you were to start your own company, your goal will always be to make money. If you tell me you start a company because you want to put smiles on other people's faces and you don't mind losing money and funding others' happiness using our own savings, then I think you are a rare human being. 

Pity Timer, to me, is guaranteed because you are guaranteed at least 1 5* by X-th pull, just like how Shards guarantees at least one 5* cover on the 167th pull. BH doesn't guarantee a 5* cover by the 140th pull, but it can range between 0 to 3 (or more) additional 5* covers. Likewise, pulling from LTs doesn't guarantee a 5* cover on the 7th pull, but it can range between the first pull to 70th or more pull.  As for implementation, they can implement that, but can players live with reduced pull rate?

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    My worst MPQ moment is anytime RNG and Prof X are both god boosted in pvp.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:

I played the week gone in a deeply cowardly way by using god boosted Prof X as much as possible whilst avoiding fighting god boosted Prof X as much as possible.
  • shardwick
    DAZ0273 said:
    shardwick said:

I played the week gone in a deeply cowardly way by using god boosted Prof X as much as possible whilst avoiding fighting god boosted Prof X as much as possible.
    I tried that but almost all of the fights were Prof X and the ones that weren't were worth like 20 pts or less. Though I will probably be using your strategy against Colossus teams this week since enemy Colossus loves to randomly cascade into black tiles.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 496 Mover and Shaker
    Marvel, D3GO and Demiurge are either listed companies or owned by listed companies. Investors invest in companies because they expect them to make money. If you tell your investors you are not interested in making money, they will dump your stocks. Another way to look at this is if you were to start your own company, your goal will always be to make money. If you tell me you start a company because you want to put smiles on other people's faces and you don't mind losing money and funding others' happiness using our own savings, then I think you are a rare human being. 

Pity Timer, to me, is guaranteed because you are guaranteed at least 1 5* by X-th pull, just like how Shards guarantees at least one 5* cover on the 167th pull. BH doesn't guarantee a 5* cover by the 140th pull, but it can range between 0 to 3 (or more) additional 5* covers. Likewise, pulling from LTs doesn't guarantee a 5* cover on the 7th pull, but it can range between the first pull to 70th or more pull.  As for implementation, they can implement that, but can players live with reduced pull rate?

As we approach 5* #63, someone getting a few extra 5* covers over the course of play due to a pity timer would be negligible to the bottom line. In fact, this would actually improve engagement because anyone on a predetermined bad streak would feel like they're making their way to a "guaranteed" 5* and might put a little more in to make a little more CP just get it. Since the outcomes are predetermined, it would actually be very easy to see where a sweet spot would be that D3 wouldn't be handing out 5*s like candy but would still be putting hope back into people's lives. The less that someone feels like they're on a hamster wheel and staring at a black box the easier it is for you to continue to suck their time and money.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    I am making a massive assumption here and could be absolutely wrong but I would have thought it would work something like this:
    Marvel - paid licensing fee per IP used in MPQ and probably a fee for use of the Marvel name etc
    Demiurge - paid development/studio fee to actually make the game
    D3GO - publisher of the game
    So whilst there might be some collusion between them, I would expect that D3Go would set prices including in game mechanics and would ultimately decide about reward budgets? Whilst sales revenue would obviously impact the other two (they want to continue to be paid), it would most directly be a factor for D3GO?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The dev would have accumulated enough data about spendings among different type of players over the past 7-8 years. So, they would be able to predict what % of players would greatly benefit from pity timer and what % would be disadvantaged, in relation to spending patterns. Almost all established game companies have this AI analytics engine running. 

I believe Marvel also get royalties and take a cut of sales. Don't forget 15-30% commission paid to Google/Apple from revenues. I think there's some Marvel contract with Hasbro floating around filed under SEC. So, for those curious, you might want to read the kind of terms and conditions set by Marvel/Disney.

As for Pity Timer, I'm not saying it's a bad idea. However, we need to be prepared for poorer pull rate for everyone if this goes through. Based on past historical changes, such major change (pity timer) would never be a "clean" change. I suppose only 6* could create such a "clean" change because by then, we would have new token for 6*. And the tap for 5* covers will flow more easily. MCOC already has 6* characters even though they were released one year after MPQ.

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 496 Mover and Shaker
    <snip>
    As for Pity Timer, I'm not saying it's a bad idea. However, we need to be prepared for poorer pull rate for everyone if this goes through. Based on past historical changes, such major change (pity timer) would never be a "clean" change.
    <snip>

Unfortunately, that's the full the truth. "You're supposed to lose."
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think they've ever addressed this directly, and they don't talk to us at all anymore, so anything we say is just guesswork.

I've never heard it called "pity timer," I've heard "streakbreaker." The problem with implementing a streakbreaker is that it creates a bigger advantage for people who pull a lot -- sort of a "rich get richer" scenario.

This probably wouldn't affect the population on the forum too much, because people here mostly aren't competing and mostly don't care what other people's rosters look like.  It would affect those at higher levels much more.  These players do care about others' rosters and their own place in the hierarchy.

For example, I've gone 0/100 at least once in my career, had quite a few 0/50 streaks, and I have multiple 550s!  If we had a streakbreaker I'd have an even stupider roster than I've already got.

Basically a streakbreaker is a big gift to whales because it helps them more than it helps players at lower tiers.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alligator Loki PvP
    AI fires Insti-gator.
    +80 AP
    Yeah, I lost.
  • trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Borstock said:
    Alligator Loki PvP
    AI fires Insti-gator.
    +80 AP
    Yeah, I lost.
    That same thing happened to me today..... The worst! Also, up to 61 consecutive pulls today!
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Any time teen Jean is boosted knowing that the enemy AI will make a match-4 even if a match-5 is available. It just feels like such a waste.

Basically a streakbreaker is a big gift to whales because it helps them more than it helps players at lower tiers.
    In other words, it would no longer be a strategy to hoard, but in the player's best interest to hoard in order to take advantage of the pity timer or streak breaker.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    In other words, it would no longer be a strategy to hoard, but in the player's best interest to hoard in order to take advantage of the pity timer or streak breaker.
    No, if there was a streakbreaker it doesn't benefit hoarders over continuous pullers or vice versa, because it doesn't matter *when* you're pulling tokens as much as *how many* tokens you have.

If there's a guaranteed 5* every 10 pulls, say, then that benefits someone who earns 1000 pulls a month much more than someone who only earns 100.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Alligator Loki PvP
    AI fires Insti-gator.
    +80 AP
    Yeah, I lost.
    That same thing happened to me today..... The worst! Also, up to 61 consecutive pulls today!

You have my sympathy.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,276 Chairperson of the Boards
    After just falling short of Odin (he'll land at 12 covers), and Ultron already champed and at L452, I am stuck on how best to complete SC.  He's at 9 covers now (3/4/2), and will get 10 when he's next featured.  After the past week, I managed to build up a nice little 5 pack of LL.  Do I keep saving or pull for SC and risk overdoing Ultron?  I want SC, so I went ahead and opened the 5. 

2 5* covers! 

40% pull rate! 

Both Ultron  :/

Sigh....
  • shardwick
    For the past two weeks I have been getting flooded with 1* yellow Storm covers. In the few times that I have gotten a green or black cover and tried to apply them so I can bring down her yellow to level 4 the game most of the time will auto-apply it and so Storm's yellow will stay at 5 covers. Currently sitting on 18 yellow Storm covers and the oldest one will auto-sell in about 45 minutes. And for the record I always apply the oldest covers first for them.

@Neko @IceIX Is there any way that the dev team could change how 1* covers are treated when a character is fully covered so that players could choose to get the XP automatically from their inbox without having to constantly reapply covers?
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I went the entire Shang Chi LL season with over 100 pulls and zero covers pulled for him . 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I went the entire Shang Chi LL season with over 100 pulls and zero covers pulled for him . 
    Ouch. The moment I read that my ear started hurting. What a coincidence. I pulled every time I got a LL, but there was a sudden hiatus on SC covers. I got mine to 2/1/3 awhile ago and have pulled nothing but Gamora and Ultron covers since. I've been using my CP for classics so I'm sure I'll get a SC cover sometime in the next 3 years.  :(
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Akoni said:
    Ouch. The moment I read that my ear started hurting. What a coincidence. I pulled every time I got a LL, but there was a sudden hiatus on SC covers. I got mine to 2/1/3 awhile ago and have pulled nothing but Gamora and Ultron covers since. I've been using my CP for classics so I'm sure I'll get a SC cover sometime in the next 3 years.  :(
    She must have shown up only 4 times in PvE. That gave me a final of 1/0/1 with 245 shards. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Opponents first move in PVP cascaded 76 AP with 18 purple and 12 red , Shang KO entire team in 1 move.