***** Shang-Chi (Origin) *****

Comments

• Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Blew a small hoard of 170-180ish pulls (lost count after 2 waves of 4star champion rewards) and got him to 4 3 5(1). So one cover away from champing and am about half way through sharding the final cover.  

He's stronk, and fun.  

Like I thought he is really fun with IMHB. It's just a shame matching blue tiles doesn't generate or keep combo points on him. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 10 covers on him, 1 saved.
    I've already seen many foes literally exploding, 125k, 250k health...
    Just for to see moments like that it is worth to play him.
    However he is boosted right now and he will be less absolutely OP when the boost ends.
    I'm starting to suffer SC stress too: if I don't see red or purple matchs I'm feeling bad lol.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    So, is he 5/3/5 or 4/4/5?
  • Bad
    For me 4/5/4 or 5/5/3.
    Mine has 12 covers and is 4/5/3.
    Never purple on 3.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's definitely a 5/3/5 for me. That extra tile destroyed can determine the fate of your winfinite. 
  • Bad
    Wanda is cruzial for him for to survive. The third wheel can be perfectly anyone. 
    I recorded a match using karnak vs They came from outher space, with a unchamped SC(I finally champed him now).
    In loving SC boosted thread. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Bad thanks, I watched your Shang/Karnak/Wanda video. Yes Wanda was crucial; she prevented Shang getting downed by Hela's Green and Doom's Black. Plus it's scary (in a good way) that one usage of Shang's Purple downed a 93k health Captain Marvel.

He'll be a great go-to for me in the challenge node when Iceman/Thor/Okoye have trouble, since I don't have Beta Ray Bill champed.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are pairing him with 5torm (3/5/5), she can create charged tiles and cascades with her yellow and green. 

If one of the opponent's strongest colours is red, Rogue will be excellent because she will multiply his red damage by 3. I have not tried it with blue/purple before. 3* Cyclops will be good. If winfinite works for my team of Karnak/3* Cyclops/Rogue, it will work for Shang Chi. For strongest colour that is blue, Karnak or Riri should be good.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been messing around with him in that awful PvP and the current PvE and he's just a ton of fun to use. 

You don't necessarily need SW or another defensive character to keep him alive.  One important thing is being strategic with his combo points/match damage until you're ready to go off.  Sometimes it's better to purposely break the combo to reset his match damage, so he doesn't tank the entire board and die before you can start chaining.  You can easily build the combo back up when you go infinite.

I try to save up two casts of red and at least one cast of purple before I use any of his stuff.  This is a lot easier/faster if you boost. 

I also tried using Thor to generate red for him, and...it works?  The thirds I tried were 5* Storm and 5* Cyclops and both those teams are pretty crazy.  You need someone who can add reds back to the board when you start comboing off, because Thor will remove them all.
  • Bad
    I love to play loki 4* with him, his yellow creates charged tiles on red, his black shuffles, and even he bites when matching charged tiles!
    Karnak unloading his blue is devastating as SC will damage on the sudden 3 balls in whatever color matched.
    Of course valkyrie is a good option too.
    Odin is great as he will take the hits until SC could restore, and he will set all SC powers at level 5 for amazing effects.
    Heimdall is one of the best partners for SC too on his blue and yellow.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cannot wait for the store that has Shang-Chi, Thor, and Cyclops. Hopefully next year’s anniversary 
  • entrailbucket
    I cannot wait for the store that has Shang-Chi, Thor, and Cyclops. Hopefully next year’s anniversary 
    I really don't know if anyone will vote for him! 

The characters people like are the autopilot/strong passive types and that's exactly the opposite of what he is.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    I really don't know if anyone will vote for him! 

The characters people like are the autopilot/strong passive types and that's exactly the opposite of what he is.
    Honestly I would just to see the meltdown if Cyclops was in the anniversary store.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Have you tried Quake's blue?
  • entrailbucket
    dianetics said:
    Have you tried Quake's blue?
    No, but she might work too.  I guess you'd always cast it on black?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    I've been running my 1/3/1 Shang-Chi with Onslaught and a max-champ Chavez on the 5e node in this past run of Operation Spider Silk, and that team works really well. It's the kind of pick-3 I enjoy, where you flank a very technical character with a pair of synergistic auto-pilot characters so that i can largely just focus on managing Shang-Chi. You have a ton of crit and cascade opportunity on this team, and Onslaught's active blue can really make a difference in a pinch without really getting in the way of what SC is doing (@entrailbucket this is your blue boardshaker perhaps). I'm really looking forward to getting him all the way up to champ at some point.
  • Bad
    I already said how good of a partner heimdall is.
    With his blue he can multiply SC powers. 
    One thing hurts SC so much is to be stunned for 3 turns.
    The tricky move is to fire Heimdall yellow, and if running loki 4 or SW, then SC will be unstunned and with 3AP gained in each power. 
    It's clobbering time again!
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, but she might work too.  I guess you'd always cast it on black?
    Cast it on an abundant color on the board you don't need. Potentially to force a red or pink match.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    I already said how good of a partner heimdall is.
    With his blue he can multiply SC powers. 
    One thing hurts SC so much is to be stunned for 3 turns.
    The tricky move is to fire Heimdall yellow, and if running loki 4 or SW, then SC will be unstunned and with 3AP gained in each power. 
    It's clobbering time again!
    I'm interested in that combo. I play Heimdall maybe more than some, and he does have some limitations - the bigger ones being that he can't fortify charged tiles or enemy special tiles, so it seems like he might be valuable to get shang-chi going by reducing AP cost/doubling up a match 3 for you, but once moving it seems like you'll be all-in on just using Shang-Chi's moves to be self sustaining for the most part.