***** Shang-Chi (Origin) *****

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I did not interpret wrongly what was mentioned in reddit, he was actually nerfed twice before his release. I'm not sure how they got those info. Maybe they were chatting with the dev on discord?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I did not interpret wrongly what was mentioned in reddit, he was actually nerfed twice before his release. I'm not sure how they got those info. Maybe they were chatting with the dev on discord?
    The same way they know the next two or three releases. Not from a dev. But yeah it appears he was altered prior to release but then I expect up until the point they are released tweaks are made to most characters before we see them for real.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Most of the good board manipulation powers are at lower tiers and many are purple, so they conflict.  If you want to kill the enemy, Shang-Chi really wants to be using purple. 

I have a few ideas (that I haven't tried) though:

4* Xavier will feed you 4 red AP on any color match-5, which should be easy to set up.

Riri's blue power should generate insanity.

Modok's black power is cheap and adds a lot of reds to the board.

If you go further down, 3* Bullseye has a chosen-tile destruction power on green, and 3* Storm green/yellow should easily go infinite with Shang-Chi.

Riri and IMHB was my favourite combo (pun intended).  

The idea of it was to use either Riri or IMHB blue to make AP or red tiles. And you get the added bonus of using IMHB black to generate Red ap also. And riri can make annoying enemies airbourne.   

If I cross reference my spreadsheet I could find more 4star options. Mordok is a good choice, IM40 might also be an option as he makes a bunch of red if you protect his yellow countdowns.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, with this many winfinite combos Shang-Chi will likely get the Gambit treatment, haha. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I doubt it - characters that have historically been nerfed were characters that were defensively OP (Danver5 aside…one day we will solve that case). I think he will be pretty easy to beat on defense unless Odin or someone is found to cover him too well.
  • HoundofShadow
    I highly doubt he gets nerfed because he's a glass cannon, and AI is pretty dumb when using such characters. On top of that, 5witch and Colossus, a popular duo, counter him. At best, Carbage/5PX/Onslaught will make AI Shang Chi less brittle in pick-2 or 3.

Let's revisit the list of characters nerfed since 2018:

5* Gambit
    3* Gambit
    Bishop
    Worthy Cap
    5* Captain Marvel (greatest mystery of all time, considering she was relevant because of Polaris/BRB)

And the list of characters on waiting list for nerf:
    1) Thor
    2) Okoye
    3) Polaris
    4) BRB

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    Worst thing is how long I have to wait for the ones I don’t want to cycle out. But for me he’s nailed on for calls for a nerf. It doesn’t matter he’s slow, it doesn’t matter he takes a bit of thought, when people punch up with a loaner and two stars he’s getting a nerf. People with 550s do not like being taken down from that far below and they pay the bills.

I might have to go back to playing my final match with ihulk again to stop that team.
    People with 550s do not pay the bills, at least not anymore.  These days, 550 players are almost universally free to play/low-spending mega-hoarders. 

The actual high spenders left a long time ago, when the free to play hoarders started beating them. 

If Shang-Chi somehow makes the mega-hoarders upset enough to quit, that is a positive for the game.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually Polaris is probably the best example of why Shang-Chi might escape the nerf hammer. My bad
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    ShangChi requires thought to play optimally, hence the AI will be horrible at it and he is a detriment on defense.  That is why I think he won't get nerfed.....yet.  From things I have read online (and who lies on the interweb?), he already got a pre-release nerf where his combo was also counted on blue matches.  They removed that and kept red/purple.
  • HoundofShadow
    Shang Chi means "the rising and advancing of the spirit." Usually, it's represented by yellow. All they need to do is to force him to match yellow to increase his Combo Points, which won't be easy. Here's your nerf.
  • entrailbucket
    The dataminers are looking at code that's pushed down with game updates.  Pre-release changes are pretty common, and sometimes the devs even put fake stuff in there to throw them off. 

I don't know why they don't push fake changes more often, or why they don't just shut the dataminers down completely (by encrypting this stuff or changing the way it's pushed), but there must be some reason they haven't done that.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    The dataminers are looking at code that's pushed down with game updates.  Pre-release changes are pretty common, and sometimes the devs even put fake stuff in there to throw them off. 

I don't know why they don't push fake changes more often, or why they don't just shut the dataminers down completely (by encrypting this stuff or changing the way it's pushed), but there must be some reason they haven't done that.
    Thanks, entrailbucket!  I have no interest in datamining the code so didn't even know that happens.  I had read on Reddit that somebody thought there was a nerf and wasn't sure how they might have known.

I am really enjoying playing Shang Chi.  I try to champ them all so was going to get him anyways but am actually looking forward to this one.  As opposed to *Cough* Ronan *Cough*.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there will be a Ronan-aissance once he's boosted, much like Killmonger and I suspect Sinister. But we'll see lol

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    At champed level I can see me using him a lot. Actively seeking those god boosted 75 point teams as it was easy enough at 1/1/1. Yeah he’s slower but I can hit higher teams and get more points.

Loved using him, my favourite release in a long while.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    So everyone knows, his team can generate him combo points even if he is stunned.  

Seems like a bug!
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    I am totally in on this guy.  I have been hoarding since BRB and I will be unloading once I see who follows.  He is totally fun to play and hits like a truck.  I will be very upset though if they nerf him after I unload all my LLs.

I'm not sure they will though.  Sure, he can go winfinite, but he is slow to get started.  In that regard he isn't OP in the current win fast PVP meta.  He won't be good on defense making him an easy target, so if your not shieded, you'll get knocked down a peg.  He'll be more vulnerable and slower against more defensive teams and can be taken out with stun.  Bishop got nerfed because the AI could stun lock you and accelerated the match.  Gambit got nerfed because he pumped out AP for the team which accelerated the match.  SC has none of that.

And there are winfinite teams that still haven't been nerfed.  Nightcrawler is winfinite if he has enough purple and there are enough purple on the board.  BRB and Polaris can stun lock the opposing team on offense once you get enough blue.

So as long as he's slow enough to go winfinite and isn't OP in the speed meta, I think he will be safe.
  • entrailbucket
    This guy was designed to go infinite...it was obvious from the moment they posted the pre-release abilities.

It's impossible for any player to know whether they'll change a character somewhere down the road, but I can't imagine them releasing a guy specifically designed to go infinite, then nerfing him because he goes infinite.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apart from polaris, there is morbius who can totally counter polaris kitty and BRB. 
    There is mantis who can totally stun lock the enemy team 
    Three 4*s being exceptionally good and they can beat 5* teams easily. Are they gonna be nerfed? Nope.
    Chaves is another great 4*. Not nerfed yet.
    And Colossus and wanda? Nope.
    The characters being nerfed is because they didn't let the player do his play.
    SC is not of that type no matter who will be teamed.
  • HoundofShadow
    If Shang Chi gets nerfed, he should be called Sheng Chi instead. If you translate the word "angry" into chinese, it's called shengqi,  which sounds somewhat similar to Sheng Chi. All the energy that Shang Chi has accumulated will then turn into anger. I suppose all the players' angers will turn into wrath.  :s
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a pretty awesome character. Very strong yet strategic. Only at 1/2/3 and I can really make him hit hard pretty easily.