***** Odin (All-Father) *****

Comments

• Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2021
    Hmm, can that yellow potentially block 100% of damage? That could be pretty tough to beat. If nothing else, he counters Colossus.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really understand why people seem to want extremely slow, annoying-to-fight defense-first characters, but there is clearly a strong market for them -- witness Scarlet Witch and Colossus.

My theory is that players want to *use* annoying defensive characters but don't necessarily want to *fight* annoying defensive characters.  Unfortunately you can't have one without the other.

I do expect this new guy to get some traction, which will lead to more complaints about how slow the game has become.  I know I'm skipping pick-3 completely if he starts showing up in unboosted pick-3 like the Avengers or Black Widow events.
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    The defensive meta - so hot right now.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Numbers are out and I am thinking 5,3,5.  

Yellow could be interesting with boosted 5* match damage.  If you put him in front and a match 3 does 6k damage the repeaters will be flying out on the boards quickly. The mirror matches will get annoying fast.  Using him as a player will be better than on Defense.  If you are facing him let him be in the back and jump in front each turn.  You can then whittle him down without having to worry about him producing fortified tiles.

his Blue can be good if you get out a lot of fortified tiles.  I will wait and see his easy that actually is in game.  Overall it will be an interesting power especially if he is reducing damage down to 1 with enough fortified tiles out.  
    Red is weak.  He does very little damage and the AP destruction is good it probably won’t be fired often at least not by me.

Overall I think he will be interesting and useful when used by the player, but not so much by the AI.  I do wonder if Apocalypse fires his red will Odin take the damage regardless or will his yellow passive just not work in this situation?
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Teeheehee, "a burst of 420 health to the lowest health ally"  :D 💚

Thunder God Of Awesome AKA Weed Thor RLSH - Home  Facebook
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    People were complaining about how “the game all about speed and nothing else” before too. It’s just how it is. 

I wonder how good this will be vs multiple hits > the damage threshold for the % reduction. If Apoc hits with his red, does it drop ALL the hits down? If there’s a cascade with kitty-pumped strikes, does it drop all of those too? 

His red hits on the low side, damage-wise. I know it’s only 7 AP but still….

also very intrigued to see how all the 
    questions about his blue are answered. 

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    Don’t know why but when I look at him I think of Santa Claus 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also: somebody else suggested we need a character that shuts off these "damage reduction" powers.  We *really* need that guy.

I'm not sure why they felt the need to introduce this as a mechanic -- we already have protect tiles to reduce damage.  Protect tiles are interactive.  The player can match them away or destroy them, characters can steal or overwrite them, and some characters can even ignore them.

"Damage reduction" is completely non-interactive and basically better in every way.  It's the difference between strike tiles and Okoye's passive damage boost.
  • Davidk777
    Davidk777 Posts: 76 Match Maker
    edited July 2021
    Finally the all-father is in the game. Been waiting for years for this. But I'm a little disappointed in him. He appears to be too low. He only have 1 offense of move and it's under 10k. His defense is gimmicky in the 5 star land, because his best partner will be heimdall, but there share the same colors. Still planning on championing him, just a little disappointed. I felt like many did when Magneto was released. An underwhelming awesome character.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lovely, I’ve been wanting Odin in the game for a long time. It’s anniversary come early for me.

Seems like you’ll want to park him at lv450, as his Yellow damage threshold will increase with champ levels. A lv450 Colossus already does 6407 damage with a Yellow match-3.

His Yellow is probably the one that has to be at 5 covers. Tossup between 5/4/4 or 5/3/5.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Davidk777 said:
    Finally the all-father is in the game. Been waiting for years for this. But I'm a little disappointed in him. He appears to be too low. He only have 1 offense of move and it's under 10k. His defense is gimmicky in the 5 star land, because his best partner will be heimdall, but there share the same colors. Still planning on championing him, just a little disappointed. I feel like many did when Magneto was released. An underwhelming awesome character.
    His best partner might turn out to be a boosted Green Goblin every time he comes around tbh
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Yay I have been asking for Odin for years. So happy the All Father finally gets his respect and put in this game
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Davidk777 said:
    Finally the all-father is in the game. Been waiting for years for this. But I'm a little disappointed in him. He appears to be too low. He only have 1 offense of move and it's under 10k. His defense is gimmicky in the 5 star land, because his best partner will be heimdall, but there share the same colors. Still planning on championing him, just a little disappointed. I feel like many did when Magneto was released. An underwhelming awesome character.

Same. I've asked for him on the surveys. But yeah pretty disappointed as we finally get Odin and he is a support character that does hardly any damage.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    GrimSkald said:
    I'm not sure about the 616 version, but from a mythological perspective "jumping in front of a hit to save others" is probably the least Odiny thing that has ever Odined.
    I don't imagine anthony hopkins putting a smile's kind loving guy jumping in front to take the hit. I can imagine him kicking a partner in the bottom for to avoid the hit, however.

Well, the numbers are there.
    His blue passive is awesome supportive, increasing powers, healing big and providing a really hard strike in 3 turns. 
    He never will be fast in any of his 3 powers, but he can save a lot of healthpacks and he will be meaning a match delayed, if paired with SW, i.e. The type of delay a lot of players scoring won't afford to battle. 
    When britty was a thing, appeared havok, then apocalypse, then yellowjacket.
    Now there are PX, colossus, SW, electro, and now odin.
    Like I said a character piercing through damage reduction would be a hit.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You either reduce damage by 72%, 90% or 120% (to a min of 1). Jump in front: 5792.

Red damage is pretty ok.

Healing is high: 5760 or 7140.

5/3/5 for me because his strike tiles can make up for the slight reduction in damage.

I think there's a lot of potential for defensive puzzle in pick-3. In pick-2, Wanda would be fine. Iceman/Sinister might be fun too. Besides damage reduction, we can use Iceman for stun and Sinister for ap steal. If we stack the team defense too high, his yellow passive won't be useful. I think it might be better to leave Colossus out and have Wanda in instead.

The first thing I will test is whether he prioritises fortifying friendly special tiles. Based on wording, it doesn't seem to be.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kwahder said:
    Hmm, can that yellow potentially block 100% of damage? That could be pretty tough to beat. If nothing else, he counters Colossus.

You still have to get those fortified tiles out there. On defense, you're asking a lot of the AI with a pick-2, likely too much. On offense, you probably take a bunch of damage before you get it going and are then playing from behind without a ton of hitting power on your side. That makes it a slow match. That means he's unlikely to be a competitive option.
    I see a niche tool in the toolbelt and a possibly annoying pick-3 defensive teammate for Simulator.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    I'm not sure about the 616 version, but from a mythological perspective "jumping in front of a hit to save others" is probably the least Odiny thing that has ever Odined.
    Fits well with the god of thunder hiding at the back trying not to get hit.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Tony_Foot said:
    GrimSkald said:
    Fits well with the god of thunder hiding at the back trying not to get hit.
    Thanks.  An image of a timid Thor totally made my day.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    Don’t know why but when I look at him I think of Santa Claus 
    Or the Sultan from Disney's Aladdin