***** Odin (All-Father) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that Blue passive may prove to be a monster power with the correct partner the more I think on it. Particularly in Pick-3 where you can have 3x 5* characters, two of whom are at 5/5/5. I guess 3 if one of the other two is Bolt and you cast yellow on this character, but that probably isn’t that great.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    This might finally be the Heimdall Buddy we’ve been waiting for. Heimdall swipes hard on that red if you have enough fortifications in play, so people who are adding them passively are always nice. Tentatively hype.
    The problem with this guy + Heimdall is, who's gonna do damage?  At some point you've got to kill the enemy team, and the only damage power you have is Heimdall's red.

I'm not sure who can do enough damage to overcome this guy's zero in pick-2.  In pick-3 he'd be an annoying 3rd to a lot of the premier big damage teams (pick-3 is garbage).

Heimdall can get nasty quickly, but you are correct. This feels way more problematic when you can choose the third.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Defensive character, not my thing. Pass for me. Gotta be Odin the way people have plucked that out their **** with zero real connection. I mean no one thinks of Odin when they see a defensive character. Skip on Ronan and this one for me. More hoard for hopefully a good anniversary vault.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that Blue passive may prove to be a monster power with the correct partner the more I think on it. Particularly in Pick-3 where you can have 3x 5* characters, two of whom are at 5/5/5. I guess 3 if one of the other two is Bolt and you cast yellow on this character, but that probably isn’t that great.
    It depends!  When Black Bolt was released we were super excited about that power, but what everyone quickly found out was that most 5* were designed with at least one power that's just trash. 

The 5* of that era at 5/5/5 pretty much played like they were 3/5/5, because the power everyone set to 3 was useless anyway.

I haven't paid much attention to the more recent guys, are there some who benefit significantly from being 5/5/5?
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    It depends!  When Black Bolt was released we were super excited about that power, but what everyone quickly found out was that most 5* were designed with at least one power that's just trash. 

The 5* of that era at 5/5/5 pretty much played like they were 3/5/5, because the power everyone set to 3 was useless anyway.

I haven't paid much attention to the more recent guys, are there some who benefit significantly from being 5/5/5?
    I personally would love to put Killmonger and Prof X off the top of my head. I have to run KM at 5/5/3 and I don’t like having to decide to have a heavy purple nuke a lvl 5 for 10 AP or have 2 crits activate on his red at 5. 

I also would love to run Prof at 5/5/5 since I run him at 5/5/3. The defensive jump is big and he knocks down 1 more color for AP power slowing. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not easy to pair two defensive/support characters (Heimdall + this 5*) because you are missing a lot of active powers with damage. In this case, you have only red as your main damage, which overlaps. I think BRB, Apocalypse, Electro, YellowJacket will be your main aggressor. Ronan can be fun too with his Uncompromising Power.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    He doesn't have quite as much health as I would hope for in a tank type character, but maybe that's because his powers will be tuned too well to have any more health than he is listed for. 

I wonder how he'd work in a pure defense team. Maybe this character, Colossus, and Beta  ?

You'll have match damage reduction from Colossus along with his black damage. Beta's defense tiles churning out and getting fortified, he offers blue/green damage. Then this character jumping in front reducing damage, fortifying Beta's defense tiles, dealing damage with red. His yellow is worded when enemy deals at least low damage, that means it should activate on many enemy abilities. Maybe even a lot of low damage support type abailites that also deal some damage, plus all the high damage powers enemies have. Maybe increased match damage from some characters may trigger his yellow as well. The blue power healing the lowest health ally could prove to be very annoying and bumping up power levels is a nice bonus. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still it is needed to see the numbers. But he is tanky, annoying to fight. Defensive and supporting type, that it is a good point for a character. His passive at level 4 grants a cd for 3 colors fortified, that is a lot better than 4 colors, in defense that it can be difficult to meet.

Depending of the numbers he could be a character people wanting to roster for to protect other 4*s or 5*s weaker/more dangerous than him.
    His red is cheap and seems good for playing pve, but not pvp.
    Seems like him and knull will be a pretty annoying defensive duo.

Speculation: the day one 5* could appear piercing through damage reduction he will be pretty toasted.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I’m trying to figure out who would have jump in front behavior; wasn’t super thematic to white vision in my opinion. Could be 5* White Wolf (post-Winter Soldier) maybe? Play style is mega different from 4* Bucky, but that kind of feels like how he played on Flaptain and Winter Soldier.

Well considering that the character only has the Heroes tag that rules a ton of characters out. For example I think that rules out Vision as he seemingly would have the Avengers tag as well.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    This is a character that seemingly is designed more for PVE and might have more legs on 3-4* rosters.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the current meta with boosted 5*, SW and Colossus I am not sure this character will jump to the top.  Both SW and Colossus reduce damage right away and this one needs to tank in order to produce fortified tiles.  Now when we get the numbers if he can get enough fortified tiles out really quickly to reduce damage to close to 100% he might be good.  I feel with boosted 5* Colossus is still the better partner with how much he reduces match damage from match 1.  I will wait on the numbers but I don’t think this character will surpass SW or Colossus 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m trying to figure out who would have jump in front behavior; wasn’t super thematic to white vision in my opinion. Could be 5* White Wolf (post-Winter Soldier) maybe? Play style is mega different from 4* Bucky, but that kind of feels like how he played on Flaptain and Winter Soldier.

Well considering that the character only has the Heroes tag that rules a ton of characters out. For example I think that rules out Vision as he seemingly would have the Avengers tag as well.
    White Vision probably not.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    With regards to the blue power, can you have multiples on the board at a time, if one is created every turn?

it doesn’t say “If one does not already exist…” like with 5witch’s green or Kate pryde’s black

if so, that could potentially be quite a lot of healing going on there
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think some missed out his healing every turn. He can heal up to 3 times per turn.  Using 450 Rescue as a reference, she heals her allies for 1556 at the start of the turn when there are two protect tiles on the board. Potentially, we are looking at up to 3500 - 5000 heal per turn for the lowest health ally. I think he's not here to replace Colossus or Wanda, but to complement either one or both of them so that it will be frustrating playing against them. Imagine the dev putting these three in Challenge Node or Simulator....
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    This guy is going to need a partner who can bring some serious DPS to the table because he's purely defensive, even more so than Colossus and SW are.  Maybe red at 5 covers will do more damage than "low?"

I'm not sure if there's anyplace in the meta for him currently.  He does seem like a pain to fight, at least.

Seems like a fine 3rd for teams, but not a great 2nd immediately. (Edit: I see EB responded the same just above - good as 3rd due to annoyance factor)

And another super slow-down character; wish we'd have an option to not have all 550+ matches thanks to god-boost and slow matches thanks to really powerful defensive characters everywhere, but here we are. Slow goes it on and on, I guess.
  • SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I suspect this

• Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Once this character enters LL, I will go all out for them. I like characters with jump in front mechanics (rogue d3adpool).

I imagine he could be good with lockjaw and shuri, black panther, C4rol, Knull etc.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    (PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, if there are at least 4 colors of Fortified tiles on the board, create a 3-turn Blue Countdown tile that each turn grants a burst of low health to the lowest health ally. When it expires, it creates a random Fortified Strike tile of low strength. Other allies gain 2 levels in all powers (to a max of 5) for each of these tiles on the board.

If I am understanding this correctly, it will focus on the lowest health ally regardless of whether they are damaged or not. So for instance, if this new character takes a significant amount of damage, it will ignore the damage they have sustained until they have dipped lower than for example the 3* required character at full health.  So basically creating blue countdown tiles that don't heal until the character with the lowest full health is damaged or one of the other two characters' health dips below the lowest full health character.

If that is the case, I don't know how meaningful that would be for players at the 5* tier, especially with AoE abilities taking a backseat in the current meta.

The yellow damage threshold will also have to be really low for this character to have any real potential defensive deterrence. But I guess it's best to just wait till the numbers are revealed to see. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    He won’t be good with other Jump-in-fronts unless the jump in front politeness bug where two characters do it and neither ends up in front (after you! No, after you, I insist…) has been cleared up. That was pretty apparent back in the bishop/hammercap heyday. I believe the intended behavior is for whoever has the most health to jump up, but it didn’t really work out like that all the time.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    (PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, if there are at least 4 colors of Fortified tiles on the board, create a 3-turn Blue Countdown tile that each turn grants a burst of low health to the lowest health ally. When it expires, it creates a random Fortified Strike tile of low strength. Other allies gain 2 levels in all powers (to a max of 5) for each of these tiles on the board.

If I am understanding this correctly, it will focus on the lowest health ally regardless of whether they are damaged or not. So for instance, if this new character takes a significant amount of damage, it will ignore the damage they have sustained until they have dipped lower than for example the 3* required character at full health.  So basically creating blue countdown tiles that don't heal until the character with the lowest full health is damaged or one of the other two characters' health dips below the lowest full health character.

Monica Rambeau has the same passive on her Blue. I imagine this character's power works exactly the same way. What I don't recall is whether she heals the lowest DAMAGED ally or the lowest Ally (which could mean no healing).
    Maybe someone who knows can chime in or someone can test and report.
    KGB