Scl 10 experiences and questions.

124»

Comments

• TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    I beat grind three of Trick or Treasure with Kitty-PX5-Rogue. That gets Karnage’s passive going early, but as long as you use Rogue to siphon green and keep dropping kitty’s shield tiles and PX5’s purple jubilee you can whittle Karnage down while taking very little damage. Kitty’s buff takes fewer special tiles due to all X-men and PX5 takes 50% less damage for the same reason.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    Update: i won the 4th clear with J4ggs/Sw/DP whales.

Figured i should tell y'all the outcome.  Its rough, but just suffered the storm behind Juggs, matched green when i could, used Hex Bolt to collect more purple.  Whales arrived whether Carnage liked it or not.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    So far, i'm going into the 3rd clear. I was able to do clear 2 with X/5torm/Iceman, but I may have to revert to Whales here before too long
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    Re: PVE SCL10 experience.

I have 5 championed 5*s in the 450-460 range.

I have to say, I'm not really a fan of the gameplay in this tier so far. First of all, the amount of hit points enemies have is just insane, making playing through the nodes take much longer. This will also give the enemy ample time to collect AP for their powers, which leads into the next point: the scaling of powers feels overpowered too, even for overleveled 3-stars.

For example, look at 3* Dr. Doom scaled to 605, his purple doing 15K+15K per trap tile, or Mystique doing 40K (or 55K when shapeshifted). That's enough to instantly (or nearly instantly) one-shot most 5* in the 450-460 range. And stunning/AP denial will not always work or keep working. Especially if they also throw in AP feeding goons.

In summary, the difficulty just kinda feels artificial and unfair. 

I was thinking about this some more, and came to this realization: this way of bumping up difficulty just stops working when boosting to ridiculous levels. It simply makes things broken. What would happen if they'd ever make a SCL11, just make enemies of level 1000?

They should really come up with a better system for increasing difficulty without breaking the game, although I have to admit that no ideas immediately spring to mind. I don't really like the 'no stun 1 on 1 nodes' they have introduced in some events either, because this breaks character design.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think at that point you have a few options:

1) as previously mentioned, make tile-moving AI "smart" and have them chase match 5s outside of straight lines, but otherwise be normally scaled

2) explore Fight For Wakanda-esque board condition tiles. These were not popular then, probably would remain so if scaled to SCL10-ish numbers

3) mess with the board conditions, either by locking out colors or changing the drop frequency of colors

4) play around with non-standard board shapes, a-la Candy Crush, which I think most would similarly not really love

Make some enemy type that uses Swarm tiles, or some other locking mechanism that essentially accomplishes #4 without actually modifying the standard board arrangement.

I could probably come up with a few more, but those are some ways it could be done. One thing you DON'T want as a player is the artificial difficulty adjustments you see in Candy Crush, where they basically decide how winnable a given board is on the back-end
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    To no real surprise, SCL10 with a single-cover Bill is a very different experience than it was with a champed Prof. That sub 1 Challenge node, on the final scaling, I couldn't even stay alive long enough to collect the Team-Up AP to Whale them. Sub 2, it's the 5E giving me trouble, since Bill is basically dead weight at one cover, but the Challenge Node is manageable, since Professor X, 5torm, and Kitty can hold off Mindless Ones more or less indefinitely with the various board/special tile control abilities they have.
    I may well drop down to 9 for future Release events, or others where I'm actually looking for placement, or those with particularly brutal 5E/Challenge Nodes, but I see myself defaulting to SCL10 for the foreseeable future, even when I've only got a single-cover 5E.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    My BRB is champable but ISO starved, so not too much trouble his nodes. This entire event has been a slog though, if I could afford to forgo the 5* shards I would probably drop down to SCL 9 moving forward since ROI isn’t worth the extra hour or more of clearing nodes. 

I don’t play for placement so that’s not an issue, but we need more thoughtful boost lists on these events.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    90 minutes. Christ, its like being back in 3* land. I'm glad I have no part of that anymore. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    The question is if the extra rewards are worth the extra time needed. Personally, I went from SCL7 to SCL8 bc I thought the increased rewards are more worth it than before SCL10 was introduced.
    So the same basically goes for SCL9 vs SCL10. 
  • grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I’m doing so much better in pvp scl 10 than I used to do with scl 9, I don’t know if I ever broke 1000 points in scl 9 but now I’m regularly at 1000 or even 1200, pve is fine, managing to get full progression even if I can’t get more than 1 or 2 of the challenge, but the thing that’s getting me is that between reasonable (top 100 in pvp or top 200 in pve) I don’t think I’m going to have any issues with getting 8 covers for Karnak by the time his intro is through, Which means there won’t be a need to focus on shards for new characters just to get them to 10 levels for shield training even if they put a new character out right out of the gate. I can focus my 4* shards on characters I want to improve or who feed 5*s I’m close to champing. I’ve always been in the “shards are good” camp, but now I’m definitely on board with the way they’re working with scl 10
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I 4x cleared all the subs in Honor Among Thieves (though I only 2x'd the challenge node on sub 2), and then green checked the easy nodes on sub 1 and 3, and finished 179|845. SCL 10 is definitely a ghost town right now. My slice of Venom bomb only has ~550 people in it.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ is basically a fidget spinner for me, and I only play for progression. SCL 10 is quite nice for me.
  • MegaBee
    I 4x cleared all the subs in Honor Among Thieves (though I only 2x'd the challenge node on sub 2), and then green checked the easy nodes on sub 1 and 3, and finished 179|845. SCL 10 is definitely a ghost town right now. My slice of Venom bomb only has ~550 people in it.
    How can you tell how many people are in your slice?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    When you look at the Story mode panels, the main one for the event (Venom Bomb) says how many players are in it.  PVE maxes out at 1000, then a new bracket begins to be filled (usually, one in a great while two brackets are filled concurrently which seems unintentional).
  • MegaBee
    bluewolf said:
    MegaBee said:
    When you look at the Story mode panels, the main one for the event (Venom Bomb) says how many players are in it.  PVE maxes out at 1000, then a new bracket begins to be filled (usually, one in a great while two brackets are filled concurrently which seems unintentional).
    Thanks. Looks like my slice is at 588 people.
  • Markot
    Markot Posts: 86 Match Maker
    I like cl10 for PVP. For PVE one small change would make me like it too. If some progression rewards (e.g. some of the 5* shards) were shifted as node reward for the challenge node, it was set to 0 or 1 point value and other node points were increased to be in sum the same as CL9 nodes are. In such a case those who clear everything would have the same amout of progression rewards as they have now. And people who are not able to clear challenge node 7 times would lose some of the rewards, but still have a chance for placement and (for me maybe even more important) not harm aliance score. Moreover, in such a case it would be time independend when the challenge node is done so people can try 5-7th clear more times during a day. 

In 1st sub of venom bomb I was able to do 5 clears of challenge node, but then I was several times wiped (once an unlucky cascade on 2nd turn was enough to instakill my lvl 463 Okoye, once my last hero was killed when there was last living enemy with only 4k health remaining etc.). I then had to use 2x deadpool whales because end of sub was near and I had yet to clear other nodes. If there were no points on this node, I would try more attempts during the day. I finished the sub in top 10 but I can't use whales 2x a day for a long time to ensure good points. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards

The clock is ticking....

It takes about 8 days for one Whale Storm. If you had 900,000 you'd use them in about 32 days.

Then what will people do.....

Oh, idea!

Donate to a save the whales organization, get more whale points. win-win! Come on D3, think outside the box!

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor

What if Deadpool is the one sponsoring the organization and D3 gets to keep the money? Whales may be the only thing left in the game without any monetization.