New Feature: VIP Membership *Updated (6/17/19)

Options

Comments

• GregDreher
    GregDreher Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bken1234 said:

In MtGPQ; skill trumps collection 100% of the time. Some of the biggest spenders are horrible deck builders and players, and I’ve seen many F2P players do amazing things with almost nothing. 

I'll disagree here, only because the AI is particularly poor.  If the AI could play decks as well as players, collection would be more important.  Aside from the obvious issues, like the AI being unable to play cycling decks, the AI won't exile cards from hand and doesn't seem to have a good idea of which cards to prioritize.  It ranks Card A better than Card B, and will switch to A even if B is only one match from being cast and A will require multiple matches.
  • dj55
    dj55 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've been a player since the very beginning. Today this is the only game that I play on a regular (daily) basis. It makes me sad to see this announcement that makes me now consider dropping the game. I really don't want to, but there's no way I'm paying a subscription to play it. 

I'm not F2P, but I'm also not a big spender. I'm somewhere in-between, being selective about what I choose to spend my money on. I have a feeling there's a good size pool of players like me who have been contributing to the game on a periodic basis that will never pay for VIP. 

I guess the thought is to try and lock in as many monthly subscriptions as they can, and hope that it offsets the amount of players they lose. If this goes forward, it seems like it may be the end of MTGPQ. I really hope the guys in charge are actually reading these posts and listening to us. Especially the veterans. There are better ways to make this game successful, rather than changing the entire model to a cash grab. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    jimpark said:
    I would just like to inquire about your thoughts of exclusive cards.

There are two different kinds of exclusive cards - paid set exclusives (Momir Vig, etc) and free event completion exclusives (Experiment Kraj, etc). Under the "Early exclusive content and extra one-time offers," I speculate free event completion exclusive cards (i.e. Experiment Kraj) might be exclusive to the VIP system; is this the case?

If this is the case, then there is potential for events like RT to be technically placed behind a VIP pay-wall until an allotted amount of time has passed for those cards to be considered non-exclusive. Based off of the past, these cards have been reverted from exclusive to non-exclusive when a new set drops (approx. 3+ months); is this also the case (asking both certain events being "VIP pay-walled" and the timeframes)?
    We do not have any intention of restricting access to events that have event-specific card rewards (for example, Rising Tensions) to only VIP members.

Speaking of Rising Tensions though, I also want to clarify that Rising Tensions is not being removed. It is merely being scheduled at a less frequent rate than every single week. It's anticipated to be scheduled again for the beginning of June.

The scheduling change for the event was conceived and implemented completely independently of anything surrounding the upcoming VIP Membership options.
  • Showerthoughts
    Showerthoughts Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby I have a question concerning the Custom Deck Slots information you put out. Will custom deck slots be going away with the update unless you pay for either a pro or master VIP pass or are those in addition to the slots that are already unlocked? I have unlocked multiple deck slots and would prefer not to have to pay to get them back.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby bad timing and bad communication aside, we had Across Ixalan replaced by Rising Tensions, but will there be another mon-fri event coming in its place?

We know it is not being removed, we're complaining about the "5 days a week"-event being removed. Regular orbs, crystals, a pack and pinks all just gone without replacement.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArielSira said:
    @Brigby bad timing and bad communication aside, we had Across Ixalan replaced by Rising Tensions, but will there be another mon-fri event coming in its place?

We know it is not being removed, we're complaining about the "5 days a week"-event being removed. Regular orbs, crystals, a pack and pinks all just gone without replacement.

And for some... Just something to DO every day! If the rewards need to be trimmed, fine, but we have always needed more content not less.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Kinesia said:

And for some... Just something to DO every day! If the rewards need to be trimmed, fine, but we have always needed more content not less.
    This...  The successful VIP programs I've seen implemented were relatively simple to understand at their face. In exchange for paying up front and logging in for 30 days you'd get 5-10x the value of buying the in game currency (in this case crystals) today. They motivate you to show up every day and play even more than just buying the gauranteed card or planeswalker sitting in the vault. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Brigby I have a question concerning the Custom Deck Slots information you put out. Will custom deck slots be going away with the update unless you pay for either a pro or master VIP pass or are those in addition to the slots that are already unlocked? I have unlocked multiple deck slots and would prefer not to have to pay to get them back.
    Deck Slots are not going away. The Custom Deck Slots from VIP Membership are in addition to the deck slots you already have.
  • Magnumson
    Magnumson Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brigby said:
    jimpark said:
    I would just like to inquire about your thoughts of exclusive cards.

There are two different kinds of exclusive cards - paid set exclusives (Momir Vig, etc) and free event completion exclusives (Experiment Kraj, etc). Under the "Early exclusive content and extra one-time offers," I speculate free event completion exclusive cards (i.e. Experiment Kraj) might be exclusive to the VIP system; is this the case?

If this is the case, then there is potential for events like RT to be technically placed behind a VIP pay-wall until an allotted amount of time has passed for those cards to be considered non-exclusive. Based off of the past, these cards have been reverted from exclusive to non-exclusive when a new set drops (approx. 3+ months); is this also the case (asking both certain events being "VIP pay-walled" and the timeframes)?
    We do not have any intention of restricting access to events that have event-specific card rewards (for example, Rising Tensions) to only VIP members.

Speaking of Rising Tensions though, I also want to clarify that Rising Tensions is not being removed. It is merely being scheduled at a less frequent rate than every single week. It's anticipated to be scheduled again for the beginning of June.

The scheduling change for the event was conceived and implemented completely independently of anything surrounding the upcoming VIP Membership options.
    Thanks for the insight. I’ll be back in June then. 
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Why would anyone pay a company that treats it's customers like ****? Losing your players so you try to gouge those who don't know any better. Pathetic.... 
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Was "we removed RT so it wasn't running every week" driven by players complaining about it coming up every week? Or was it driven by "we need to stop injecting X amount of currency into the system every week"? One of those makes sense, the other makes "unrelated VIP" more appealing.

Or it could just be "we don't want players logging in"...
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:

Netdeckers might have problems without cards, but they are the TARGET audience for paying and they subsidize games like this. 

Kinesia said:

we'd need two subscriptions 

You make a valid point  :)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    stikxs said:
    Was "we removed RT so it wasn't running every week" driven by players complaining about it coming up every week? Or was it driven by "we need to stop injecting X amount of currency into the system every week"? One of those makes sense, the other makes "unrelated VIP" more appealing.

Or it could just be "we don't want players logging in"...

They have previously "retired" events. This isn't the first time and may not be the last.
  • __Adam
    __Adam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The least stable, least balanced and least updated game on my phone wants 2X what I pay for WoW??  I sometimes have to reboot the game because the BUTTONS DON'T WORK and you want half the price of a multi-million dollar AAA game every month?

The business folks here are as incompetent as the devs.