New Feature: VIP Membership *Updated (6/17/19)

Comments

• Showerthoughts
    Showerthoughts Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    @Brigby I have a question concerning the Custom Deck Slots information you put out. Will custom deck slots be going away with the update unless you pay for either a pro or master VIP pass or are those in addition to the slots that are already unlocked? I have unlocked multiple deck slots and would prefer not to have to pay to get them back.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby bad timing and bad communication aside, we had Across Ixalan replaced by Rising Tensions, but will there be another mon-fri event coming in its place?

We know it is not being removed, we're complaining about the "5 days a week"-event being removed. Regular orbs, crystals, a pack and pinks all just gone without replacement.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArielSira said:
    @Brigby bad timing and bad communication aside, we had Across Ixalan replaced by Rising Tensions, but will there be another mon-fri event coming in its place?

We know it is not being removed, we're complaining about the "5 days a week"-event being removed. Regular orbs, crystals, a pack and pinks all just gone without replacement.

And for some... Just something to DO every day! If the rewards need to be trimmed, fine, but we have always needed more content not less.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Kinesia said:

And for some... Just something to DO every day! If the rewards need to be trimmed, fine, but we have always needed more content not less.
    This...  The successful VIP programs I've seen implemented were relatively simple to understand at their face. In exchange for paying up front and logging in for 30 days you'd get 5-10x the value of buying the in game currency (in this case crystals) today. They motivate you to show up every day and play even more than just buying the gauranteed card or planeswalker sitting in the vault. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Brigby I have a question concerning the Custom Deck Slots information you put out. Will custom deck slots be going away with the update unless you pay for either a pro or master VIP pass or are those in addition to the slots that are already unlocked? I have unlocked multiple deck slots and would prefer not to have to pay to get them back.
    Deck Slots are not going away. The Custom Deck Slots from VIP Membership are in addition to the deck slots you already have.
  • Magnumson
    Magnumson Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Brigby said:
    jimpark said:
    I would just like to inquire about your thoughts of exclusive cards.

There are two different kinds of exclusive cards - paid set exclusives (Momir Vig, etc) and free event completion exclusives (Experiment Kraj, etc). Under the "Early exclusive content and extra one-time offers," I speculate free event completion exclusive cards (i.e. Experiment Kraj) might be exclusive to the VIP system; is this the case?

If this is the case, then there is potential for events like RT to be technically placed behind a VIP pay-wall until an allotted amount of time has passed for those cards to be considered non-exclusive. Based off of the past, these cards have been reverted from exclusive to non-exclusive when a new set drops (approx. 3+ months); is this also the case (asking both certain events being "VIP pay-walled" and the timeframes)?
    We do not have any intention of restricting access to events that have event-specific card rewards (for example, Rising Tensions) to only VIP members.

Speaking of Rising Tensions though, I also want to clarify that Rising Tensions is not being removed. It is merely being scheduled at a less frequent rate than every single week. It's anticipated to be scheduled again for the beginning of June.

The scheduling change for the event was conceived and implemented completely independently of anything surrounding the upcoming VIP Membership options.
    Thanks for the insight. I’ll be back in June then. 
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Why would anyone pay a company that treats it's customers like ****? Losing your players so you try to gouge those who don't know any better. Pathetic.... 
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Was "we removed RT so it wasn't running every week" driven by players complaining about it coming up every week? Or was it driven by "we need to stop injecting X amount of currency into the system every week"? One of those makes sense, the other makes "unrelated VIP" more appealing.

Or it could just be "we don't want players logging in"...
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,090 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinesia said:

Netdeckers might have problems without cards, but they are the TARGET audience for paying and they subsidize games like this. 

Kinesia said:

we'd need two subscriptions 

You make a valid point  :)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    stikxs said:
    Was "we removed RT so it wasn't running every week" driven by players complaining about it coming up every week? Or was it driven by "we need to stop injecting X amount of currency into the system every week"? One of those makes sense, the other makes "unrelated VIP" more appealing.

They have previously "retired" events. This isn't the first time and may not be the last.
  • __Adam
    __Adam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2019
    The least stable, least balanced and least updated game on my phone wants 2X what I pay for WoW??  I sometimes have to reboot the game because the BUTTONS DON'T WORK and you want half the price of a multi-million dollar AAA game every month?

The business folks here are as incompetent as the devs.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    TomB said:
    jtwood said:
    stikxs said:

They have previously "retired" events. This isn't the first time and may not be the last.
    No, but it's the first time they retired an event tied to an expansion before that expansion is no longer the current expansion. It'd be one thing if they ran RT every other week now featuring the Guilds of RNA, and retired the GRN guild portion of the event, but since they canceled ALL of it I see it as a brand new thing, and not a good one.
    Just to clarify, Rising Tensions is not cancelled nor "retired." It is simply being run at a less frequent rate, as opposed to every week. Players can still expect to see it being scheduled in the future.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
      Brigby said:
    TomB said:
    jtwood said:
    stikxs said:

No, but it's the first time they retired an event tied to an expansion before that expansion is no longer the current expansion. It'd be one thing if they ran RT every other week now featuring the Guilds of RNA, and retired the GRN guild portion of the event, but since they canceled ALL of it I see it as a brand new thing, and not a good one.
    Just to clarify, Rising Tensions is not cancelled nor "retired." It is simply being run at a less frequent rate, as opposed to every week. Players can still expect to see it being scheduled in the future.
       Yes, but the only reliable way to get boosters from the latest IS gone. 

It is not the first time that we face that "latest set starvation" under the lead of Oktagon but it has never been pleasant.

However, this time the daily event IS gone at the same time. No recent boosters, no crystals, no jewels ... No incentive to play ...

Overall, the problem isn't RT being scheduled or not in the future ... The problem is nothing being scheduled instead of it at the moment.

Note that I know that you, @Brigby, have nothing to do with it ... But the fact can't be ignored.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    TomB said:
    jtwood said:
    stikxs said:

Well, across ixalan isn't retired as well, but scheduled less frequently. Once a month, right? The daily, weekly and monthly events are different kinds of content. Pushing one from a frequent to a less frequent schedule without content to replace it (which was the case with AcrI)  might not be the same as getting rid of it, but cutting the overall availability of "stuff to do" harshly. If I don't find something to trigger my attention and desire to play, why should I log in? It's just TG (which a lot of us don't care about anymore), totp (which is kind of stale) and maybe some 200 times played legacy event. Or a new pve event which I can clear in ten minutes by repeating the first match. Nothing interesting.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Brigby said:
    TomB said:
    jtwood said:
    stikxs said:

And the problem, there, is basically they ARE "retiring" Rising Tensions because then it's only brought out every now and then, not as a daily/weekly event, which is exactly what we (and I'm pretty sure I'm speaking unanimously with at least 99% of the forum posters, here) see as a bait and switch with the VIP program coming in.

Additionally, any word on the bug/not-a-bug in Rising Tensions, where the secondary objectives are/are-not supposed to give bonus runes?

Now, had Rising Tensions been "retired" when War of the Spark was coming in, even the week, before, there probably would have been less problem. 

As @Bil just said, we know it's not you making these plans, but since the ONLY person we hear from IS you, not an Executive Producer, Producer or even Project Manager, you're unfortunately the one who gets tagged to see these messages.

And for the record, the games I've paid $15 or $30 a month for have had Exec Producers, or at least that game's direct Producer, leave monthly updates or "looking ahead" letters for the player-base.They were also the voice of encouragement and enjoyment in developing the game (I'm thinking Holly Windstalker from EQ, atm).

Even as games like The Secret War or LOTRO went F2P, they still have those same updates and newsletters for the playerbase. Your higher-ups just aren't delivering on that and leaving it to you to do all the "leg work". Just seems like what they want for VIP isn't really making anyone feel that "I" at all.