Speed and New Releases

Options
1234568»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just suppose the following are the metrics that the devs can only use in order to create or define "useful, better or fun" characters:

1) is the damage per ap of this character's power the same or higher than the top tier characters of that particular category?

2) does each power cost not more than 9ap or even 6 or 7ap?

3) can this character help players to end a match in 4 or 5 turns?

If the answers are "yes", then release this character. If not, rework the character.

And let's assume that the devs agree to  create each new character based on the above metrics, how many of you think that the devs will sit there and watch Power Creep take over the game and let most players finish SCL 9 in 10 to 15 minutes?

Chances are, if they are not going to nerf those characters later on, then in order to bring balance back to the game, the devs will increase the levels and hps of AIs in every SCL, without increasing the rewards, or increase the rewards by an "insulting" amount.

At the end of the day, it will be "one step forward, two steps back" again. You might be enjoying your time with Power Creep for a short while, but you will hate Balance when it enters the picture.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    We do know that you judge characters based on speed, damage/ap, cost of power etc but there are a large playerbase that don't care about speed.
    I don't want to care about speed, I'm forced to care about speed. I would love to take my near-champed Kingpin and Cable into PvP in the near future. But that would be suicide. Like taking a Plymouth to race a Ferrari.

I think it's ridiculous that PvE even has placement or anything competitive about it at all. All those placement rewards should be shifted to progression. Player vs. computer. Not speed vs. speed.
    This is exactly why I got burned out and stopped. I hate being forced to play this way to get top rewards.  Add in the daily pve grinding  and it just became too much.  Yeah, I could "settle" for less rewards, but I don't want to play a game to settle. That's not fun to me.  Sucks because I do enjoy the game still. 
    I don't understand why it has to be all or nothing though.  That's the mentality that leads to burnout.  Sometimes I play wins-based and can take my Kingpin/Cable for a spin, because I don't care about retals.  Same with only playing for progression in PVE.  Other times (honestly, most times) I play for speed in PVE because I like the thrill of the race.  But the point is people have this fallacy that they have to get top rewards in order to progress and kill themselves for them, only to burn out.  You can still make progress in this game just fine playing the teams you want to play.
    Dleg is coming from a dual t10 alliance.
    Some people are not wired to be content with mediocre rewards when they know they could easily get the best ones.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Some people are not wired to be content with mediocre rewards when they know they could easily get the best ones.
    I agree and understand because I'm the same way. It has nothing to do with MPQ. Whenever I get into a new hobby, I go all out doing my very best because I wouldn't be satisfied knowing I could have done better. If I can see a way to improve, then I'll do it. Of course, I take into account the "cost" of improving and determine if it's worth it. But if it's worth it, then why would anyone not do it? The only answer I can think of is if they're lazy or just don't care. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:

I agree and understand because I'm the same way. It has nothing to do with MPQ. Whenever I get into a new hobby, I go all out doing my very best because I wouldn't be satisfied knowing I could have done better. If I can see a way to improve, then I'll do it. Of course, I take into account the "cost" of improving and determine if it's worth it. But if it's worth it, then why would anyone not do it? The only answer I can think of is if they're lazy or just don't care. 
    Or the return on investment isn't that great.  I mean for me, pushing to 900 in less than an hour with my power characters and shielding out is a great return on investment for time vs. rewards gained.  But it's not a great ROI in terms of time vs. fun in game.  75 wins with fun teams is a blast, but sucks more real life time.  So I dabble in both wins and points depending on what I'm looking for in the moment.  Being in a T10 hybrid alliance means much much greater responsibilities and higher restrictions on how you play. But that's a choice made by the player.  The idea that "I either need to go all out in every event or quit the game" is not a developer problem.  We see this a lot where we get extra (optional) stuff to do and we hear "Great, more stuff I HAVE to play".  I get that some people are wired in that "all or nothing" sort of way.  I'm just pointing out that that personality type is not an issue with MPQ, but with the player themselves. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For example, joining battle chats to climb higher in PVP isn't worth it to me because of the extra time and HP cost of shields.  I'm happy hitting 1000+ without assistance for 225 HP (but I would like to hit 1200 though).  Playing for fun is great, but it does cost time.  Of course, you can argue "What's the point of playing competitively if you're not having fun?"  Well, there's an element of fun in fast matches and better rewards.