Rise of the God Awful Pharaoh

Options
124»

Comments

• IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bil said:
        Yeah ... Bolas has become quite a pain for those who dont own ob nixilis and whose card collection isn't really solid. Two players in my coalition took more than 200 turns to defeat him using direct damage spells ... 
    Happen in every (older) PVE-event in higher nodes: you must have the right cards and/or pw. At least bolas is vulnerable to creatureless, but it takes a while. Tezz2 (in AER-event) is straight forward, you don't have time. 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Options
    IM_CARLOS said:
    Bil said:
        Yeah ... Bolas has become quite a pain for those who dont own ob nixilis and whose card collection isn't really solid. Two players in my coalition took more than 200 turns to defeat him using direct damage spells ... 
    Happen in every (older) PVE-event in higher nodes: you must have the right cards and/or pw. At least bolas is vulnerable to creatureless, but it takes a while. Tezz2 (in AER-event) is straight forward, you don't have time. 
      I think tezz2 was the most exciting pve encounter i had the chance to play. It might also have been because my collection wasn't what it is now, but that was intense, i had to consider every single swap in order to survive, juggling beetween his servos, his energy gems and my own mana gains ... Almost makes me nostalgic now ...
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    arevala said:
    Please, any ideas to beat Bolas? Im stuck there :( New standard is just awful

I run with Ob Nixilis against him. I build up his ultimate and use the following deck.

Supports: (5)

Raiders Wake
    Dragon's Hoard
    Submerged Boneyard 
    Zhalfirin Void 
    Sorcerer's Wand 

Spells (5)

Vraska's Contempt
    Duress
    Mind Rot
    Divest
    Nightsnare 

I would run the 6 mana discard rare spell from Origins over Divest if I had it. 

Strategy is simple get Ultimate and Wake out spam discard spells draw either via Hoard or first ability. Hold a Contempt for his one creature. It will take a little while to it will beat him every time.

Wand isn't a must have but the 2 damage a turn does help.

Nightsnare is in to get the last goal (3 spells costing 12+)
    Try to fit in Masterminds Acqusition and steal Imminent Doom from Bolas. Makes it a bit faster.
    Thank you very much, your advice of using Mastermind's Acquisition to steal Imminent Doom has made me to change my deck against Nicol.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have to credit my coalition members for the idea of using Masterminds Acquisition.
    I was just using Ob with ultimate and Raiders Wake/discard first.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We actually have more options now to beat him that we ever did...

Creature decks can be done _reliably_ for the first time ever. (The very first time I beat him was with Nahiri lifelink/haste, it was always possible but it was NOT reliable.)

Yes, the really fast spell decks are gone, but they can still be done.

I used Angrath, Mastermind's Acquisition and the Goggles and stole Imminent Doom and HUF and used a lot of discard. Easy just slower if I don't get ID.

@Imbrium Did it faster than me with a loyalty based Vraska deck casting her 3rd almost every turn. (And then still stealing ID to speed it up!), Nissa's Revelation and the Gaea's Blessing and Recover to keep casting things over and over. If you have ID, you can get recover Gaea's Blessing and vice versa and keep playing them over and over.
    (The 20 damage in one turn is a slight challenge, but you pick and choose and save some spells in your hand for a burst)

• Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not a bad event. I like the different objectives and themes applied. I'm always tweaking Bolas's level here and there.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At the end this has been the fastest release of RotGP event I can remember.

This proves that we, the people that write in this forum, are not the most representative sample of the players of this game.

I really thought that it was going to last til tuesday.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Our coalition got screwed by the timer. We ended up 26th but several of us didn't finish our last matches in time before the event finished (two of us were playing Bolas so 120pts missed there).

The rewards are not much of a difference but it's another annoyance with this event that there is no set finish so it's luckbased.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love the boss health events — even though I know they aren’t popular. My team had a great energy tonight — everyone jumping at recharge and grinding hard. We always do that on these type events — maybe that’s why I love it so much, everyone has fun with the thrill of the race. 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the event and the new objectives, but I totally despise they random chance of not being able to play the last or even last two recharges. Events should account for people's sleeping times. For your reference: The second last recharge in my time zone was Sunday midnight 0:00 hours and the last recharge, when boss health was at 1%, was Monday morning 6 AM. Those are unhealthy times...
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Machine said:
    I like the event and the new objectives, but I totally despise they random chance of not being able to play the last or even last two recharges. Events should account for people's sleeping times. For your reference: The second last recharge in my time zone was Sunday midnight 0:00 hours and the last recharge, when boss health was at 1%, was Monday morning 6 AM. Those are unhealthy times...
    A petition is ready for you at: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/74706/a-petition-for-a-reasonable-schedule-for-everybody#latest
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I love the boss health events — even though I know they aren’t popular. My team had a great energy tonight — everyone jumping at recharge and grinding hard. We always do that on these type events — maybe that’s why I love it so much, everyone has fun with the thrill of the race. 
    I remember back in the glory days where we would set alarms to make sure we finished top 10 for a mythic reward.  Guess who isn't setting an alarm to wake up at midnight or 3 AM for 20 jewels?  This guy.

I did really enjoy the NB fight with a cool idea from @ambrosio191.  Basically stuff about 33 copies of Darigaaz in the graveyard with gather the pack and Itmolac, then dredge them up with Rebirth, and Thud him for 264 damage.  Then repeat, or simply attack with your monster stack after another Rebirth next turn.  Was pretty quick actually.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I too love the Boss Health events (particularly Avacyn's Madness, which I hope the next PvE replicates).  However 500hp Bolas is my least favorite PvE boss yet.  Unless you have a handful of the right cards, he's at best painfully tedious to defeat...at worst impossible.

He was a challenge to beat when cycling was standard, and that should say something.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Heh. The people who were asleep or who woke up early are one part of the pain, for me I was in the middle of the monday work day, I was able to go sit in the kitchen with a coffee and play, but that's _really_ not reliable.

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I like RotGP for much of the same reasons that @Kinesia stated. It is an old friend that still produces challenges. I for one don't buy into the whole issue about how it only takes legacy cards to beat the final boss into submission in 60 seconds or less or it will take hours. (I am exaggerating but you get the gist).

The whole point of a final boss is to be tough... and this version of bolas is no where near the difficulty as AMK's bolas as a final boss... in that scenario Hibernium designed the event to require Cast out and Approach of the Second Sun in order to defeat him and meet the objectives. A complaint that we all voiced out repeatedly and Hibernium retired that event when HOU was released; it was that hated.

Anyways, I loved the objective changes but logic tells me that if you're gonna update the objectives you should at least update the rewards to reflect the most recent set.

• Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good event, but theyve restricted HOU cards in a HOU event.....
  • arevala
    arevala Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Good event, but theyve restricted HOU cards in a HOU event.....
    lol