Gambit Character Update Details (6/26/18)

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like this is going to be the longest season waiting for this change to Gambit... but I am anxious to see it in-game and how that affects my experience. I expect it will be largely positive.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I've compiled it all together, and passed it along to the team for evaluation.

Bowgentle said:
    So a champed 450 gambit sold will net how many tokens?
    How do you know?  They have not made an official announcement on compensation unless I’m missing it.  So you should clarify that you’re speculating based on past precedent.
    The tokens received from selling your Gambit (Classic) is the same process as the previous Gambit rework. It is based on Gambit's character level, including Champion levels.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I've compiled it all together, and passed it along to the team for evaluation.

Bowgentle said:
    How do you know?  They have not made an official announcement on compensation unless I’m missing it.  So you should clarify that you’re speculating based on past precedent.
    The tokens received from selling your Gambit (Classic) is the same process as the previous Gambit rework. It is based on Gambit's character level, including Champion levels.
    The last time we got that deal for a buff though. Now it's a nerf. A quite severe one too. So ..
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Seriously dude? He literally just told you the answer to the question. And you’re STILL gonna question it? 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone know how much for an unleved Gambit? Mine was broken down by customer service and I think I’d get more if I roster each cover as a separate character, no?
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle said:
    So if I champ him right before the nerf I can trade him for 13 5* tokens? 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    So if I champ him right before the nerf I can trade him for 13 5* tokens? 
    As per Brigby above, yes.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

Bowgentle said:
    Neat! Now what was the process for the Gambit rework?

We need like, a formula or something. Telling us what the token number is based on isn't enough for us to figure out what our own total would be. It's like having a cake recipe that starts with "Ingredients: Things that go in cake." While technically correct, it isn't *useful*.

(I mean, we can make an educated guess based on forum posts here, but having an official clarification just in case the forum users are wrong would be nice)
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    Brigby said:

Bowgentle said:
    Neat! Now what was the process for the Gambit rework?

We need like, a formula or something. Telling us what the token number is based on isn't enough for us to figure out what our own total would be. It's like having a cake recipe that starts with "Ingredients: Things that go in cake." While technically correct, it isn't *useful*.

(I mean, we can make an educated guess based on forum posts here, but having an official clarification just in case the forum users are wrong would be nice)
    Exactly.  Can we get some specifics please?  I have no idea where on the forum the gambit buff sell rates are and would prefer just to have it spelt out as to avoid any confusion.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Thanks MoosePrime.  It would have been much easier if they had published this with the announcement.  It feels like a strange oversight that the concept seemed to be that we should all remember such a detail that they published last year.  Particularly when there are not many people that would want to sell back a character after they buffed it (or is that reverse nerfed it?), so they would not have paid attention to the sell back details.

Anyways, looks like a good deal.  One more month of using Gambit for me before I sell him and accept that twice a year I miss the 5* essential node in pve.
  • Treras
    Treras Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    So it's realy worth to sell a 5*? Random covers means a few duds. Worse case lots of duds. I am more inclined to keep him.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby

With the introduction of 5* essentials, selling off 5* characters completely is no longer viable for high level players. You could remove all his abilities entirely and we'd still need at least a 450 Gambit just for his PVE essential.  As such, the more someone has invested in Gambit, the less realistic it is that they can take advantage of compensation for the nerf.

Please consider allowing players with a championed Gambit to sell off champion levels instead of selling the whole character.  This would allow players to recoup some of their investment, rather than punishing players for wisely devoting resources toward the strongest character in the game.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Looking at 36 new 5* covers if I sell off Gambit....decisions...decisions
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby

With the introduction of 5* essentials, selling off 5* characters completely is no longer viable for high level players. You could remove all his abilities entirely and we'd still need at least a 450 Gambit just for his PVE essential.  As such, the more someone has invested in Gambit, the less realistic it is that they can take advantage of compensation for the nerf.

Please consider allowing players with a championed Gambit to sell off champion levels instead of selling the whole character.  This would allow players to recoup some of their investment, rather than punishing players for wisely devoting resources toward the strongest character in the game.
    We’re lucky enough to be getting 1:1 sell back.  OML nerf didn’t yield an even sell off.  There’s 0 chance they’ll offer this, nor should they.  You already have him on your roster as a pve essential.  Now you want more? 

I have 0 empathy for people who chased gambit hard and suddenly expect d3 will bend over backwards to accommodate.  Keep him or take the 1:1 compensation.  Those are the options, and neither are unreasonable.
  • Daiches
    @Brigby

We’re lucky enough to be getting 1:1 sell back.  OML nerf didn’t yield an even sell off.  There’s 0 chance they’ll offer this, nor should they.  You already have him on your roster as a pve essential.  Now you want more? 

I have 0 empathy for people who chased gambit hard and suddenly expect d3 will bend over backwards to accommodate.  Keep him or take the 1:1 compensation.  Those are the options, and neither are unreasonable.
    The chase, including spending, was made based on a certain build. That they then improved upon, so there would be an even harder chase for a certain Day. You don't have to be empathetic, but you do have to understand people are very upset about this.

The compensation offered, while better than the OML comp, is still very bad. Selling a 450 Gambit will net you half your ISO back and 13 covers spread out over 26 characters, including some absolute stinkers. That one level on half your characters may be a dupe cover  (worth 1/3 of a cover), an early cover that brings it still nowhere to championing, or a Champ level. None of these options is even remotely close to the value of champed 5.

And considering they are now giving away newly released Characters (which is sweet btw), so that people can freely skip bad 5s to continue their hoard, those few covers offered look even worse.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are people asking for better compensation, or to sell off levels, or for an exchange for 5* covers of their choosing willing to give up all the rewards they received dominating with their Gambits while others not blessed by the RNG gods got nothing?
  • Daiches
    @mods @Ducky @Brigby
    any reason this thread is permanently buried on page three after unstickying? It doesn't move to first page after a new comment.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    @mods @Ducky @Brigby
    any reason this thread is permanently buried on page three after unstickying? It doesn't move to first page after a new comment.
    Because it's  in the CHARACTER forum where it belongs
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Daiches said:
    mods Ducky Brigby
    A redirect link for any discussion thread will not be bumped up, if there is a new comment while it's un-Announced. The discussion thread itself however will be bumped up to the first page of the sub-forum it resides in. 

As fmftint mentions above, this discussion thread technically lives in the Character sub-forum, and that is where you can see it constantly update whenever a new comment is added.