Kaladesh Elite Packs and the Future of Limited Format

Options
1235»

Comments

• wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks, Shteev, for that graphic. 

I think you and I were on the same page regarding what we thought rotation looked like, but it's different than it used to be.

If they follow the paper Magic rotation, then I am fine with it.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks Shteev!

I can't wait for Eggs and Soup!
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Thanks Shteev!

• Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I, for one, am happy that we are getting a 3 block standard. It sets us up for some nice variety, if from Ixalan on we get more balanced cards and effects. We just need to get to that point and that means living through some more cycling. Who knows, maybe Ixalan will have such fun features that we forget cycling. I doubt it, but it could happen.

Omniscience and Hazoret's Undying Fury already made me halfway forget about cycling. It honestly gave me hope in a bleak and desolate world
  • Kinesia
    Options
    It's not speicific cardss, it's anything that takes away "fun".

There are two specific cases cocurring here.

1) The ongoing cycle problem. People are slightly annoyed that Greg doesn't do it at all but they are more annoyed that they are pressured to do it because it's powerful but it's not _fun_ to play, it's repetifive and boring. People shouldn't be pressured into playing boring things because they are powerful.

2) The _opposite_ side of things, is "fun" being taken away because you don't actually get to play, just sit there and watch the AI. These things are often fun to do yourself but they are absolutely not fun to play against because you DON'T get to play. This can happen for tons of reasons, even just extra powerful cards like Piglivia reduce the amount of playing you get to do but in these more extreme cases you sit and watch the AI powerless and eventually you lose, but even if you didn't lose it's NOT FUN. Omniscience and HuF and Deploy and Emrakul being played 3 turns in a row all do this but other things too, like a Rashmi Cascade deck... I mean _before_ Omniscience hit the news the last few days I was complaiing about Rashmi, but when People complain about Koth the thing I hate about him is that he messes up the baord for me turn after turn and doesn't let me plan.
    People complaining elsewhere about having to play against creatureless decks with no win condition (because the AI won't play Ob's 3rd) actually _do- have a point and it's actually just this same simple one "It's not fun."

These are all the same argument, the same _overall_ problem, there are just lots of different things that cause it.

People put up slightly more with "It's not fun" problems that let them put their own plans into play still.

If I kill Emrakul 2 turns in a row and then die to a third I think "fair enough", if I don't get the chance to interact even that much well, that's a problem. (But, yes, Emrakul shouldn't have been released in a set without a counter like "Act of Heroism", did paper have a counter that we didn't get in the same way?)

Anyway. Don't just fix omniscience, fix "Not Fun'.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Thanks Shteev!

Also known as Rivals of Ixalan and Dominaria, since they've now released the non-codenames ;)
  • Kinesia
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Kinesia said:
    Thanks Shteev!

Also known as Rivals of Ixalan and Dominaria, since they've now released the non-codenames ;)

No, I still want Eggs and Soup instead.

I'll settle for Dinosaur Eggs and Soup at the moment.