*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    BWGS best fits IM40's play, they only share red, and BWGS' red is not as good as IM40's so they wont' compete there. In this comp I say 5/4/4 IM40 is better, but is giving up stunning current target 2 turns worth increasing yellow cost and allowing a good combo with BWGS?

That I don't know. What's the community's thought on 5/5/3 vs 5/4/4????

After reading all this, now I really want to try a 5/4/4 build with BWGS. His yellow doesn't generate enough green for her sniper rifle at level 5, but he'd give her purple so she could generate green. And if you have Spider-Man, he can use the blue generated to keep the team stunned. Or Classic Storm -- Recharge could give you enough to fire off Wind Storm and Sniper Rifle, hitting the entire team twice.

Honestly, I don't think the stun at IM40's level 5 blue is worth much, anyway. I only rarely fire off that power and when I do it's usually at the end of a match. I think I'm going to try this out as soon as I find another IM40 yellow cover.
  • The more characters I develop, the more I'm leaning towards respecing him to 5/3/5 when I come across more yellow covers. I rarely if ever get off his blue ability, so the ability to feed purple and black (I've been levelling C.Mags and Psylocke) would really come in handy.
  • I'll be changing my 5/5/3 to 5/4/4 as soon as I get another yellow cover. I would like recharge to generate black as well but I don't like the extra cost (mainly because it's tied to countdowns regardless).
  • I went 5/4/4 since that was how covers fell and I've junked plenty of blues since then. The stun on blue is useless, 4yellow isn't any harder to get off than three, and I looooove the extra purple.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is it me or as new champs come out, IM40 is looking better and better. His blue is still ridicuolously high costed, I mean knock it down to 18 AP at least, that way he in theory could generate half the needed blue with his yellow. That being said, beezer37_84 convinced me, 5/4/4 here i come
  • Phaserhawk
    Okay...So barring a huge drop in my placement, I should be walking into a blue and yellow cover for IM40. I currently have him at 5/4/3. How should I proceed?

5/5/3 or 5/4/4?

5/5/3. Cheaper yellow cost, blue can stun

5/4/4. Yellow cost 2AP more, but you get purple which is nice, no blue stun, but probably overkill if you ever get 20 blue AP.

I guess, is going from 10AP to 12AP worth it to get purple at the cost of not stunning on blue?
  • I think the question more boils down to: who do you need that purple for? There's plenty of characters that need/use Red/Blue/Green .. but very few that have a powerful purple that needs fed.

Even though 10 & 12 AP is ostensibly about the same in this game, you can still feasibly get 10 AP in three matches (4+3+3).

His blue stun comes in handy when you are running with a mega-buffed IM40 and you are trying to wipe out the team with his blue power and you need to stun the opponent with the highest HP. But it's a pretty infrequent scenario.
  • Phaserhawk
    edited March 2014
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I think the question more boils down to: who do you need that purple for? There's plenty of characters that need/use Red/Blue/Green .. but very few that have a powerful purple that needs fed.

Even though 10 & 12 AP is ostensibly about the same in this game, you can still feasibly get 10 AP in three matches (4+3+3).

His blue stun comes in handy when you are running with a mega-buffed IM40 and you are trying to wipe out the team with his blue power and you need to stun the opponent with the highest HP. But it's a pretty infrequent scenario.

Well that is a good question, running IM40 with classic Magneto is nice, as IM40 gives him everyting he needs to destroy the team and he'll tank that mystery yellow for Magneto as well as any of the black widows, but yeah, aside from that, really no one else, unless you count Daredevil or Loki, while I love Loki and an IM40, Patch, Loki combo is fun, I'm not sure I would run him.

Patch, IM40, C. Magneto comes to mind, in that case yeah, purple would be nice, but the rest no, I guess I don't need purple, yet.... and with respec, I guess it's not really an issue.

EDIT: Grrr, so torn, I like the idea of making purple, but is 10-12 AP that much of a deal breaker. Not stunning isn't an issue, it's that AP jump
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never used blue before (and by the time I get 20AP, it usually doesn't impact the game anymore), so 5/4/4 vs 5/5/3 simply boils down to if you need the purple AP. I recently respeced to 5/4/4 since I figured it was more useful with it.
  • Phaserhawk
    I've never used blue before (and by the time I get 20AP, it usually doesn't impact the game anymore), so 5/4/4 vs 5/5/3 simply boils down to if you need the purple AP. I recently respeced to 5/4/4 since I figured it was more useful with it.

well you swung me, yeah, when I really think about it, nobody will be alive anyway with 2669 AoE damage. Assuming you got the perfect draw, and were 5/5/3, you would need, 4turns to get the yellow, then wait 2 turns while the CD go down and say you matched blue each of those, you have 6 blue AP, yellow goes off, you have 15 blue, then say you match blue during IM40's stun time, you would have 21 blue ap, over 8 turns and could go off, in theory that is probably the fastest you could go off, although you probably in theory go faster if Hood was on your team.

That begs the question, is 5/3/5 a better build? Probably not assumign rule of three

3AP - 1 Match
    4AP-6AP--2 MATCH
    7AP-9AP --3 MATCH
    10AP--12AP -- 4 MATCH
    13AP -- 15 AP 5 MATCH

going 5/3/5 makes him a

5 match/7 match/5match guy

where 5/4/4
    5 match/7match/4match

and 5/5/3
    is 5 match/7match/4match

I see why people left IM40 at 5/5/2, but since he's been released, the game has slowed, and getting that green AP is too good not to go 5/5/3 and since 5/4/4 has the same theorized matching system, i just got my answer. Thanks forum, you guys have been helpful.
  • I have a level 15 (5/3/2) IM40 & 20k spare ISO from the Hulk event. Is he worth the investment or should I just save the ISO for my level 30 (1/2/2) Black Panther & wait for more covers with him? My best chars to team with are 111 Patch, 105 Punisher, 85 Ares & 85 OBW.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    WesFaram wrote:
    I have a level 15 (5/3/2) IM40 & 20k spare ISO from the Hulk event. Is he worth the investment or should I just save the ISO for my level 30 (1/2/2) Black Panther & wait for more covers with him? My best chars to team with are 111 Patch, 105 Publisher, 85 Ares & 85 OBW.

The only reason to go im40 is if he is buffed in a pve event (which is probably going to happen given how theyre handing out his covers like candy). Dont expect him to be used besides that i think. I would just pump the iso into your patch.
  • WesFaram wrote:
    I have a level 15 (5/3/2) IM40 & 20k spare ISO from the Hulk event. Is he worth the investment or should I just save the ISO for my level 30 (1/2/2) Black Panther & wait for more covers with him? My best chars to team with are 111 Patch, 105 Publisher, 85 Ares & 85 OBW.

The only reason to go im40 is if he is buffed in a pve event (which is probably going to happen given how theyre handing out his covers like candy). Dont expect him to be used besides that i think. I would just pump the iso into your patch.

Agree, level patch.

IM40 is kinda useless.
  • IM40 can be made into a nice shield/battery for Patch. Im40 takes all the abuse while Patch lays back. Then when you need to use Patch's red, you fire off an IM40 recharge and then all the icons become Patch dominant.

The issue is that you (ideally) need that third cover of his yellow and then you need to put another 100+ levels on him. That's a lot of effort for a damage sponge.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Okay...So barring a huge drop in my placement, I should be walking into a blue and yellow cover for IM40. I currently have him at 5/4/3. How should I proceed?

5/5/3 or 5/4/4?

5/4/4. Yellow cost 2AP more, but you get purple which is nice, no blue stun, but probably overkill if you ever get 20 blue AP.

I guess, is going from 10AP to 12AP worth it to get purple at the cost of not stunning on blue?

I'm in the same exact spot. I guess I have 6 days to decide but I'm still not sure as of right now. I agree with the above recent discussion that it is difficult to decide whether or not the purple is worth the 2ap tradeoff. Right now, I'm leaning toward no, but perhaps in the long run (as more characters with varied colors are released), having a purple generator will be more valuable. So maybe I just talked myself into 4 yellow. Either way I'm not leveling him beyond the 53 he is right now.

Do we know for sure that there isn't a stealth damage increase for IM40's blue when going from 4 to 5 covers?
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    dtm7817 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

5/5/3 or 5/4/4?

I'm in the same exact spot. I guess I have 6 days to decide but I'm still not sure as of right now. I agree with the above recent discussion that it is difficult to decide whether or not the purple is worth the 2ap tradeoff. Right now, I'm leaning toward no, but perhaps in the long run (as more characters with varied colors are released), having a purple generator will be more valuable. So maybe I just talked myself into 4 yellow. Either way I'm not leveling him beyond the 53 he is right now.

Do we know for sure that there isn't a stealth damage increase for IM40's blue when going from 4 to 5 covers?

Just respeced. There isn't.
  • Phaserhawk
    I did go 5/4/4 and while he isn't fully levled, the difference from 10AP to 12AP is nothing, glad I did go 5/4/4. If they ever buff IM40 but say just dropping his blue by 2AP, (yes just 2AP, it would seriously be nice) then I could see going back to 5/5/3 as 18 AP, while high can be done fairly quickly if you pair IM40 with any Magneto.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    I just finally got IM40 enough covers and levels to where he's actually somewhat useful. Unfortunately, he seems like he has a limited number of uses when compared to other characters. Have they ever mentioned anything about buffing him? His red ability does nowhere near enough damage to cost what it does. You lose 2 AP in other colors to fire off a somewhat weak single target nuke. Ballistic Salvo seems like it needs to either cost less or do more for the cost. It's really expensive to do a mediocre aoe, blow up a few tiles and suck down your AP in other colors. To have both of those cost so much of your AP it seems like they need make recharge cost less and give you more AP back or those 2 abilities need a serious buff.
  • Phaserhawk
    radav wrote:
    I just finally got IM40 enough covers and levels to where he's actually somewhat useful. Unfortunately, he seems like he has a limited number of uses when compared to other characters. Have they ever mentioned anything about buffing him? His red ability does nowhere near enough damage to cost what it does. You lose 2 AP in other colors to fire off a somewhat weak single target nuke. Ballistic Salvo seems like it needs to either cost less or do more for the cost. It's really expensive to do a mediocre aoe, blow up a few tiles and suck down your AP in other colors. To have both of those cost so much of your AP it seems like they need make recharge cost less and give you more AP back or those 2 abilities need a serious buff.

agreed, red just needs more damage if it's taken other AP, blue I think is fine, but yeah, 20 AP is toooo much. Yellow is actually a fairly okay ability it's the CD timers I hate, not the cost
  • This dude needs more health. He's a great AP battery but not if he takes most colors and ends up dying first.