Devs Please stop the mandatory covers in PvE

Options
124»

Comments

• My point is that the game has a huge safety net, had likely already been turning a profit by the time it went to F2P, and was paid for by the time it went F2P.

It is not comparable to a game that launches F2P as its business model.

If you needed to pay 30 bucks to download MPQ and then it became F2P, it would make more sense to treat it as a comparator.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I'm not saying that MPQ should run off with TF2's model, but all of us could hope for more games being more like it. The funny thing is I'm not compelled to play on my non-freeloader account on my phone, where I have 6 or 7 free roster slots, whereas the game feels much more rewarding here on my purchase-banned Steam account. If we could buy items that did not influence gameplay at all but were still valuable for their collector and aesthetical appeal, a lot more players would stop complaining because of mandatory this and that.
  • Locking content behind specific covers is just poor design. It's a poor way to segregate the playerbase, AND it's a bad way to operate F2P, because *it is not F2P!* Locking content behind a required character, when you do not have that character, is Pay to Play, which (I hope people can appreciate) is not F2P.

People with the appropriate covers (either by purchasing a 10x pack, or winning a tourney), should have a sizeable advantage - and they do! The req'ed covers not only provide another juicy source of points, but they're also BOOSTED! No reason to lock out other players from enjoying the content that the devs worked so hard to produce. Content walls are simply bottom-barrel design.

For disclosure, I have poorly covered Punisher, Mags Classic, and singleton Daredevil and Psylocke. This time around, I'm leading any sub event I please, and getting to see everything, and I STILL maintain that it's stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dunkelgrau wrote:
    For disclosure, I have poorly covered Punisher, Mags Classic, and singleton Daredevil and Psylocke. This time around, I'm leading any sub event I please, and getting to see everything, and I STILL maintain that it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

Same here, once I snagged Psylocke from a token and got my hands on one more black cover for Punisher to reach usable levels, this event started to open up and allows me to consistently power forward into the top 10 or top 5. The only thing that could screw me over now is the decidedly Europe-unfriendly closing times, but the Episode 4 event seems to switch over at around 20:00 hrs my time which works out kind of OK, giving me about a half hour rush to scramble more points when I get home from work and have finished dinner. Before, I'd be lucky to place top 50.

This just goes to show the shrill contrast between having and not having the essential characters available to you in usable form.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    mechgouki wrote:
    Anyone else thinks it is **** to force Daredevil to fight in a minions only match?

Yeah, I thought that this was slightly dumb as well. Way to pick the fights DD! They can't fight back!
    Hey, the dude's blind. A handicap for a handicap icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dunkelgrau wrote:
    Locking content behind specific covers is just poor design. It's a poor way to segregate the playerbase, AND it's a bad way to operate F2P, because *it is not F2P!* Locking content behind a required character, when you do not have that character, is Pay to Play, which (I hope people can appreciate) is not F2P.

People with the appropriate covers (either by purchasing a 10x pack, or winning a tourney), should have a sizeable advantage - and they do! The req'ed covers not only provide another juicy source of points, but they're also BOOSTED! No reason to lock out other players from enjoying the content that the devs worked so hard to produce. Content walls are simply bottom-barrel design.

Exactly, well said. I appreciate others comments about having to work to get a character, etc. I do, and I believe if you worked hard to get a couple Psylocke covers the reward is that her missions will be easier for you because you can have her past my suggestion of a lvl 10 Psylocke, where with covers she would be a lvl 15 +. Easier points for you, less health packs expended, you get all the benefits of having her while those without have to rely on their other two guys who are going to take more damage, have to use more resources, thats where the advantage of having a Psylocke or whatver the champ is, not the lock door scenario.