Devs Please stop the mandatory covers in PvE

Options
Phaserhawk
Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Mandatory covers for quests in events really needs to stop. It is just as easy to allow a free lvl 15 copy of the cover to help players with these missions. If you have the covers you already are at an advantage because you can have a higher than lvl 15 champ helping you, for those without, it's essential 2 vs. 3.

If your goal is to force players to buy packs, I understand, but think of a more creative way than frustrating players by not allowing them to do certain things.

Comments

• Oddly enough, you can keep the required character at 15 and still beat the enemy team. Most players have by now learned to rely on a team of two to do the job, because there inevitably will always be a mandatory 3rd in most instances. Having them higher than initial level is a bonus really.

Also, it's not really needed to do those "character required" missions. They ultimately just end up giving another way for points. With rubberbanding, it really comes down to if you want an extra mission to deplete points from. Without the rubberbanding, these missions were required to be competitive. Not so much now. It comes down to if you want to purchase the character or not, as no effect is really noticeable.
  • Anyone else thinks it is **** to force Daredevil to fight in a minions only match?
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    edited February 2014
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    Anyone else thinks it is **** to force Daredevil to fight in a minions only match?

It's beyond stupid to make him a requirement for that mission. I really do not understand it, and there is no explanation that could possibly make any sense at all. That's another all 230 enemies for me, I guess I can use him as a meat shield...
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Anyone else thinks it is **** to force Daredevil to fight in a minions only match?

Yeah, I thought that this was slightly dumb as well. Way to pick the fights DD! They can't fight back!
  • The prizes for these new characters should mean something. Given the number of overall stacks it's pretty easy to finish in top 20 or so without one of the required character. If you're shooting for something better than that, then you should've always had the required characters because a better than 20 placement is going to guaranteed you any new characters.

So far the required is Psylocke X 2, Daredevil, and Punisher. The latter two should be obtainable by now, and Psylocke is featured prominently since she's just released. This is nothing like The Hulk where Punisher was required for the 200 base point missions (biggest points by far) that features level 50 enemies while the 100 point missions have 230X3.
  • Signed. Sometimes real life happens and you're not able to compete as well in event A to get new shiny character. Then new shiny character is required to place really high in event B putting you at a handicap on getting the next new shiny character.

The players who won a psy still have the advantage of being able to level her past the 15 sub in and buy covers for her. Winning her previously still gives an advantage, but doesn't lock everyone who didn't win her from all the points.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:

It's beyond stupid to make him a requirement for that mission. I really do not understand it, and there is no explanation that could possibly make any sense at all. That's another all 230 enemies for me, I guess I can use him as a meat shield...

Unless forcing you to 2 man it is the point of the mission. You really have to make board control and damage compromises as a result if having the blind man in a minefield.
  • Not only does it encourage you to buy packs for the new hero, it's a way to get you to buy rooster space too. You never know who you'll need. I'd probably just be vendoring IW covers if she wasn't a frequent lock character. It's probably not a system that'll ever disappear but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. The locked missions used to be much more point heavy, but the bonus of them now is less significant. I got top five without a Psylock cover. I did have Pun and DD though.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:

Of course it is.
  • I guess I don't mind so much that some "side" missions might be locked out but it appears I am unable to unlock the end mission without psylocke ... on every map so far. That's a bit harsh.
  • stingdx
    stingdx Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't think requiring specific characters is that bad of a thing - the problem is in the time gaps. There was only ONE event where we had a chance to get a Psylocke, so to require her in the very next event is a little harsh - and this is coming from someone who won a Psylocke cover last week.

I feel like there needs to be at least three chances to win a cover before it's required. That allows more people a chance to be involved, while at the same time keeping a real 'need' for some of the player base to compete regularly to make sure they get the covers. I've been playing since the first Hunt event but I never got a Punisher, and while it was frustrating during later events to not be able to act in all the events it only drove me more when I had leveled up some to obtain these covers when they show up.

For Psylocke, it'd be nice if instead of the Brotherhood event this week we had a double shot with 2 more chances to win Psylocke and then we had this event. It'd let more people participate. However, I think it's silly to just take the requirement events out because it is one of the key things that gives people a sense of accomplishment and reward when they earn these covers.
  • This system is just a way for Devs to make $. They need to feed their families somehow. Nothing out of the ordinary for a F2P microtrans game. Just gotta deal with it and be patient if you aren't willing to spend $. Besides, you know all these events are going to be eventually re-run anyways.
  • If you're at a point where not having the required hero adversely affects your ranking then you should've been more than capable of getting the said hero in the first place. It really only comes into play if you're fighting for a top 20 or better finish but if you're in that position, winning the hero from the event before is not very hard with that kind of placement.
  • I think the mandatory covers are great.
  • starsrift wrote:
    I think the mandatory covers are great.

I think that herpes is great.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If you're at a point where not having the required hero adversely affects your ranking then you should've been more than capable of getting the said hero in the first place. It really only comes into play if you're fighting for a top 20 or better finish but if you're in that position, winning the hero from the event before is not very hard with that kind of placement.

OK, but if you don't have the time to play as much as needed you can still end up without the new cover. So maybe something like this could work:
    stingdx wrote:
    I don't think requiring specific characters is that bad of a thing - the problem is in the time gaps. There was only ONE event where we had a chance to get a Psylocke, so to require her in the very next event is a little harsh - and this is coming from someone who won a Psylocke cover last week.

I feel like there needs to be at least three chances to win a cover before it's required. That allows more people a chance to be involved, while at the same time keeping a real 'need' for some of the player base to compete regularly to make sure they get the covers. I've been playing since the first Hunt event but I never got a Punisher, and while it was frustrating during later events to not be able to act in all the events it only drove me more when I had leveled up some to obtain these covers when they show up.

For Psylocke, it'd be nice if instead of the Brotherhood event this week we had a double shot with 2 more chances to win Psylocke and then we had this event. It'd let more people participate. However, I think it's silly to just take the requirement events out because it is one of the key things that gives people a sense of accomplishment and reward when they earn these covers.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    To be fair, it no different than being forced to use him in a match with Daken )or a match at all, since the computer will ONLY match his traps if it's the last match on the board or a 4-in-a-row, even though they're supposedly 'invisible' to his enemy).
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If you're at a point where not having the required hero adversely affects your ranking then you should've been more than capable of getting the said hero in the first place. It really only comes into play if you're fighting for a top 20 or better finish but if you're in that position, winning the hero from the event before is not very hard with that kind of placement.
    Psylocke was only available to people with Spiderman Blue 4or5.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    starsrift wrote:
    I think the mandatory covers are great.
    I think that herpes is great.

Plenty of reasons were given above my post as to why they can be a good thing, I didn't feel the need to repeat them, but only add my voice to those giving feedback that think it's a good thing.
    Your response seems a bit of a non-sequitur.
  • bahamut685 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Psylocke was only available to people with Spiderman Blue 4or5.

Rubbish - I got 2 Psylockes, and I don't have a useable Spidey. (3 Blue, didn't use him at all during Simulator.)

Psylocke was available to anyone willing to put in the effort.